“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Greenwich, RI
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in July with a friend and we had a great stay. Our room was spacious, clean, and had a great view (we had a harbor view room and it was a beautiful view to wake up to every day). The service in the hotel was great - everyone was very nice (people in Bermuda are incredibly nice in general). We went to the hotel's private beach every day (even though it was hot we chose to walk rather than take the trolley). The beach was beautiful! Lovely water, perfect temperature, you could snorkel around the rocks, and plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. You can rent paddleboards on the beach for a good price. You can also easily walk to Horseshoe Bay. We chose to skip the crowded part of that beach and continue walking to the left edge of the beach through many beautiful, private coves. Bermuda really does have the prettiest beaches we had ever seen. We went to the hotel spa one day and enjoyed it (great private relaxing pool). After a certain time (6 pm?) services in the spa are 20% off and you can go to the spa pool/balcony/gym the entire day of your appointment. Also, another hint: join the Fairmont President's Club free online and you'll get complimentary internet in the hotel, free access to the gym, and discounts to the spa. Hotel pool was small but nice, with plenty of chairs for reading and shade if you want it. We mostly ate outside of the hotel but had a meal at the Newport Gastropub and enjoyed it (the Lighthouse and Mickey's on the Beach were our favorite restaurants - we walked to the Lighthouse and took an easy cab ride to MIckey's). I would choose to stay at the Fairmont Southampton again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay - all the activities you did sound fantastic, and it seems like you really enjoyed every moment of your visit! I'm glad you enjoyed The Newport, a Gastropub and I hope you visit us again soon and explore even more of what Bermuda has to offer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Spend five nights on the Gold floor with our 15 month old. Staff could not be more helpful and friendly if they tried. Enjoyed the amenities and relaxing setting. Breakfast, tea, hors d'oeuvres, and desserts Defiantly worth the upgrade! Loved the scones!!

Stayed October 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Recently, my wife and I were wed in September 2013. After scouring many resorts, I chose the Fairmont Southampton to be the location of our honeymoon. (And when I mean, I can find fault with a hotel, I can find it) I could not have chosen a better spot. Our room was on the 6th, Concierge, Floor. Every morning, a fantastic breakfast with granola parfait, pancakes, a selection of cold cuts, cereals, eggs, french toast, and fresh juices, coffees and teas were delightful. After this, my wife and I could take on the day, and explore the island or go to the beach.
----On exploring the Island - The Fairmont Southampton could not be better located on the island, unless you were in Hamilton itself, and wanting the privacy, and the ability to get to know Bermuda and her culture better - the Southampton Princess was the ticket. A couple of tips - take advantage of the ferry!!! It can get pricey, very quickly, to take a taxi to and from the hotel to Hamilton. The ferry is nominal comparatively speaking! However, to get a taxi, is EASY. The people, are warm and friendly (more on that later).
----On the BEACH - I mean, hey, this is the most important part right? S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. I live within 8 hours of three beaches named in the top 10 in all the world. I know beaches. On one end of the Fairmont beach, it was crowded....but on the other end, it was a good 4 to 5 yards before we even got to the next person on the beach. Getting to the beach? Easy. Hop on, and in 3 minutes, you're there.
-----On the Room - another thing to mention about the room, we were able to watch a storm roll in, and it was absolutely spectacular. In addition to our room being incessantly and wonderfully cleaned, the comfort of the room was excellent. We had plenty room, a generous walk-in closet, two sinks, and the shower head - Oh. My. Gosh. Where can I get one of those! You could twist it, almost 4 different ways for different sprays!!!

After a day on the beach, or exploring the island, we would have lunch at the Ocean Club, or get some great ideas from the staff for true island cuisine (The Henry the VIII - :) ) Fantastic meal at the Ocean Club - and of the three different places I tried Bermuda Fish Chowder on the island - this was the most authentic, and the best! Dinners were par excellence, but I must admit the Italian place (I can't remember it's name) on the property was good, but average. Room service was outstanding, meats and choices cooked very nicely. But my favorite part - High Tea. Take advantage of it! (Oh if only the Fairmont sold their Breakfast tea.....they'd be able to open up another one, I'd buy so much of it).

The People - The people of Bermuda are warm, friendly, and very genuine. They appreciate old fashioned common courtesy, as do I. The British element to the island is definitely there, and I hope it never goes away. Formal Informality would be a good term for it. It is dream to talk with the people, and start every conversation with Good morning or Good afternoon, sir. The way civil people talk with one another! :) In fact, I got a couple pair of Bermuda shorts (yes, even a pink pair) and wore them one evening with a coat, stocking socks and dress shoes to the Waterlot Inn! :) And a couple of people remarked positively, a few smiled, one even stopped me and said, "Thank you for making the effort and for learning about our island!" :)

The Hotel Staff - THE BEST PART OF THE HOTEL STAY - PERIOD. The food, insanely good. The staff? Even better. Every need was taken care of, without unnecessary delay or problem. Courteous, and very helpful. The room was cleaned, with great care, twice a day, and if I needed to get something, I could always rely on the staff to help me make the honeymoon experience incredible for my wife (they helped me book a Spa day, after asking about the spa, the lady at the Concierge desk asked me about my wife. I told them what my wife likes and dislikes, what she wanted, etc. I was planning on going back to the room and booking it. Five minutes later, I got a call in the room saying it was booked. - you want to talk about service? You want to talk about someone who actually listened?!?! It was FANTASTIC)

Long story short - We'll be back, and as someone who would complain at the drop of a hat (because this was the most important vacation I've ever, or will ever book), if I could find a negative, I'd write. I just can't. Thank you so much Fairmont Southampton for making this one experience we will cherish for the rest of our lives (and we mean that quite literally).

P.S. - if I could remember the names of the helpful staff, I would name them, because they took the time to get to know me, and I feel terrible, that I can't remember their names.

Room Tip: If you can swing the Concierge floor - DO IT!!!! All the rooms have a great view - but we got to wat...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Wow - thank you so much for such a glowing, detailed review of your fantastic honeymoon stay. Congratulations again, I'm thrilled you are so happy with your choice of Bermuda & The Fairmont Southampton as a honeymoon destination. All your tips and advice are fantastic and I am sure other travelers will really appreciate the insight you provide here!

FYI - our Fish Chowder is made by the fabulous Bermudian chef Herbie Bascome, who is famous for his soup! Our teas are sold in the Fairmont Stores at select properties and online, so hopefully you'll be able to get your fix before your next stay. Your Bermuda shorts outfit sounds authentically local and fantastic, I hope you get lots of wear out of it at home, too!

It sounds like you had a fabulous experience with the staff, and I have sent your review onto our colleagues to thank them on your behalf for giving friendly, personalized service. Reviews like yours remind us how great it feels when we get it right, so thank you so much for sharing! We hope to welcome you and your new wife back to Bermuda for many more special occasions to come!
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton on our first trip to Bermuda in August 2013 and it was amazing. We had hoped it would be a special trip since It was our first trip away from our 20 month old daughter - and it did not disappoint. The hotel is located in the southern part of the island, which I believe has the best beaches. The hotel has a private beach within walking distance (you could also take the free trolley) which is right next to one of the best beaches in the world, Horseshoe Bay. There is also a free ferry to downtown Hamilton that leaves from the dock of the Waterlot Inn, which is one of the best restaurants on the island and deserves an entire review of its own.

Room Tip: Look for a package deal that includes continental breakfast - paying a la carte can add up.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of such a special trip - the first vacation as new parents! I am glad to hear you had a great time and I hope that we will welcome you back along with baby again soon! Thank
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton from Oct 1 - 6, 2013 and it was truly delightful. The rooms are modern and clean, and the staff treat you like family. The private beach was amazing and there is access to Horseshoe Beach next door(Rated in the top 25 beaches in the world). The pool area is nice with lots of lounge chairs, food and drink service as well. The Bacci, Waterlot Inn, and Ocean Club restaurants are all first rate and service was great. There are tolly buses running every 15 minutes to the beach and all restaurants, and there is a free ferry that runs between both Fairmont hotels that will take you to Hamilton for shopping. The grounds and golf course are immaculate. With the 3rd night free on right now it actually brings this hotel into the affordable range at $300-$450US. I did my homework and this is the best deal in Bermuda.

Room Tip: Spend the money and go with a Deluxe room on a high floor with a view of the harbour or ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, Greg, for taking the time to review! I am so glad you enjoyed your recent visit, particularly the friendly staff! It sounds like you had a good time swimming, dining, and exploring - and it always feels best when you get a great deal! I am so glad you felt the trip was good value, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Cape Cod
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor and my husband and I vacation every year. This year we stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda for our 10 year anniversary.

The Good - The Hotel Staff - they were friendly and helpful, Free shuttle service to the Beach/Ocean Club and the Waterlot, Breakfast was a either a buffet or order from a menu (but expensive), Free Ferry Service to Hamilton 3x per day from the Waterlot, and the Spa Service (although also expensive, but its a resort, so what do you expect.)

The Bad - We booked on line and selected an Ocena view/King bed. room It is our anniversary after all. When we arrived, the front desk told us they guarantee the room type (Ocean View), but not the bed type, so we ended up with 2 Queens (not very romantic). Eventually we had our room moved after 2 nights. In the new room, the coffee maker was broken. I called housekeeping 3-4 times and no one replaced it, so no coffee in the morning for us. The restaurant hours on the property are very limited. The restaurants are either open in the morning, the afternoon or the night. The only restaurant opened the entire day is the hotel lobby bar. The pool - not resort like at all. It's pretty much just a small pool on the property with a restaurant next to it, that does not really service to the pool patrons. The AC/Fan in the room - If you are someone who either needs a fan or complete silence to sleep, you will get neither The fan turns on and off as the room temp changes so it keeps you up all night.

Ugly - Management. The management made a decision to close the pool at 4 due to a conference at the hotel that did not start their event until 6 or so - and the event did not have food or require any special set up. In addition, there is a 2nd floor large balancy at the hotel that over looks the pool where the conference attendees could have met. That day, we arrived at pool at 3, it closed at 4, we had to get on a shuttle ot go to the beach and the cabana bar closed at 5 and the Ocent club bar did not open until 6. From what we experienced, the hotel managmenet's focus is on conferences/events over hotel guests. In addition, when we had the room issue, the staff at the front desk would obtain our issue and then go behind the front desk office to talk to the Manager and then come back out. This went on 3-4 times. It finally got to the point where I requested the Manager come out from the office and talk with me directly.

Anyway, take this review for what it is worth....we enjoyed Bermuda, but we would not recommend staying at the Farimont Southampton for an anniversary or honeymoon.....maybe if your company is looking for a place to hold a conference, it is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review The Fairmont Southampton. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the friendly service, the trolleys and ferrys, and also the Spa. I am sorry to hear you did not get the bed type you had hoped for, but I am glad that they were able to switch you to a King room later in the trip.

To clarify about restaurant hours, it varies by the season. Since you were here in October, our restaurants were operating on a shoulder season schedule, with a breakfast/brunch restaurant, an all-day lobby lounge, outdoor pool service throughout the day, bar service on the beach, a beach seafood restaurant, an award-winning steakhouse, and a gastropub open for dinner. I am sorry to hear you did not feel these options were adequate. I also want to sincerely apologise that you had issues with your coffee maker and your AC in your room, and I will follow up with our housekeeping team to ensure that in the future, calls like yours are dealt with in a more expedient manner.

Thank you for your feedback regarding a private function that was held at the Resort pool, rendering it closed to other patrons. When we host events there, we have to give our setup team a few hours to get the space ready, but I understand this was inconvenient to you and I apologise. We value all of our guests the same, and I am very sorry to hear you feel that your stay was overshadowed by the group that held the party at the pool. I have sent this review on to our entire management team to ensure they are aware of guest concerns.

I want to reply, however, about the manager at the front desk: we try to empower our colleagues to take responsibility for our guests and to make critical decisions, but sometimes they need to confer with a supervisor - neither the colleague nor the manager was trying to slight you in the situation you mentioned on the Front Desk, and I am sorry if you felt that was not better explained to you in the moment.

Thank you again for your candid comments, and I hope you will reconsider the way you feel and try us again on another Bermuda visit.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton with my boyfriend and his family in August. We had a lovely time. The surf shop is great, the food is excellent, and the views were amazing. Our only problem with service was on a day that it was raining pretty hard. So we went down to the front desk to ask if we could rent a DVD from them. They told us that their selection was scarce, so we could go up to ask the club if they had any DVDs. We did that, and the woman at the club front desk seemed very entitled. We understand that only club members can use club facilities, but the way she spoke to us was borderline rude.

Food at the property is amazing. I'm gluten intolerant and there were so many options that I could get. I had my first grilled cheese sandwich at the Fairmont property since I was diagnosed, and it was amazing!!! I must have ordered at least 5 of them during our stay.

Housekeeping did an amazing job. Our room was thoroughly clean every day.

Just keep in mind that the Fairmont beach is a little on the small side, so it gets very crowded. You might want to rent a moped and travel around Bermuda to see the different beaches out there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am so glad you had a lovely time, and want to apologise for any rude behaviour you might have encountered. This is not acceptable, and I have informed the manager of the area of this incident. I also apologise for any flaws you found in your room, but it sounds as if it did not detract from your enjoyment of the vacation.

I am so thrilled to hear that our chefs were able to cater to your gluten intolerant diet. Our culinary teams are passionate about providing healthy, flavourful food that accommodates our guests desires and needs, so I will pass along the grilled cheese kudos! Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back again to Bermuda soon!

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!