“great hotel, but...” 4 of 5 stars

3rd Night Free
Belleville, Michigan
“great hotel, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This summer we made our family trip to the beautiful island of Bermuda and stayed at the illustrious Southampton princess. We had a lovely time on the island as well as the hotel. Courteous and helpful staff. The only negative part of our trip, besides the weather was the music at the beach for happy hour and the BBQ. Coming to an island, I was expecting to hear island style music. But to my dismay I heard music that made the think I was back in the US, like country and classic rock. When I go to an island such as Bermuda, like other islands I have been to like Jamaica, I anticipate hearing island style music and not that. Huge disappointment. If I go back again I would hope this would change.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts to TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and staff. I am disheartened, however, that you did not enjoy the entertainment provided. Bermuda has a very diverse music scene which we provided in our summer entertainment line-up, from a funky ukelele player, to a reggae/pop trio, to a jazz fusion band, to a soul band. Bermuda is musically and culturally very different than Jamaica, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by what we provided. I hope that you will reconsider visiting again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights recently at the Fairmont Southampton and we were incredibly pleased with our stay. The service -- specifically from the Concierge and in the Jasmine Lounge -- was top notch.

We're both vegetarians and had delicious meals at all the restaurant locations on the Southampton's property (except for the Waterlot, which we did not go to), which is not always the case when we travel. Bacci, their Italian restaurant was delicious and our favorite.

Other highlights were afternoon tea at the Jasmine Lounge and breakfast at Windows on the Sound.

Incredibly convenient private beach location with towels, showers and changing room, and nice to have the hotel shuttle to use. It's also incredibly easy to walk over to Horseshoe Bay next to the private beach. We also used the complimentary ferry to Hamilton, which was another great perk.

If you're not used to Bermuda prices, the cost of the hotel and food there can be a bit of a shock, but considering the service and all the little perks included, you more than get your money's worth at the Fairmont Southampton.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Several months ago my husband I stayed at the Fairmont South Hampton and did not have such a great experience. The manager read my review and took the initiative to contact us immediately to obtain our feedback as well as ask that we give them another chance. His effort to right the wrong impressed us and we decided to return this past week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. WOW!!! This is the hotel everyone has been raving about. The experience was so much better. The staff was courteous, our meals were awesome, the room terrific.....there are so many wonderful things to say! One of our favorite experiences was dinner at the Water Lot. It reminded me of memorable dinners years ago at Tavern on the Green however with Bermudian flair. I also must mention the toiletries - Le Labos Rose 21 found only in NYC - fantastic. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are already planning our return trip in May.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
These are the reviews that truly make us proud - when we are able to show a guest that we can do better. Thank you so much for giving us another chance and letting us show you how friendly and helpful our staff can be. I am particularly glad you enjoyed the Waterlot Inn, which is truly a stunning restaurant. We can't wait to have you back, thank you again for your review.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked a room on the gold floor with an ocean view, the room was spacious and clean, and the housekeeping staff kept it clean and stocked with towels all week. The breakfast, tea and happy hour were wonderful, as was the staff that attended to you during it. Most days that was enough food to get us through the day! We saved money by not having to eat out. You also have access to complimentary soda and water, which saved money too. The beach was very nice, we walked to Horseshoe Bay one day, but left right away because the cruise ships were in port and it was very crowded, the hotels private beach had everything we needed and the trolleys were always available to bring us there and back. The only drawback was misinformation given to us a few times by different staff. We were told that the shops at the Dockyard were open late on Mondays (otherwise everything closes by 5 or 6 everywhere), so we took a cab there to find out they were all closed. We asked to buy bus passes from our 6th floor concierge, and was told they didn't sell them in the hotel, but when talking to the front desk, was told they do sell them. We requested a paper everyday, but did not get it, told the concierge and she said she would take care of it, but never did. You can take the ferry to the sister hotel for activities too, but we asked about Wednesday wine tasting we were told that had ended-not true! We went to the sister hotel the next day and saw that it had taken place, more misinformation. When we mentioned these things to the staff, they were not very apologetic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your honest review. I am glad that you liked your room and your Fairmont Gold perks. I am so sorry to hear that you received some misinformation and I am going to follow-up with our teams to ensure they are providing accurate, consistent information. I apologize for the inconvenience it caused. I hope that you will consider returning again soon, thank you so much for your comments.
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

In planning a special birthday celebration it was important to select a beautiful tropical paradise not to far away. Booking our stay at the Fairmont Southhampton was the best decision, especially since we upgraded to Fairmont gold status. From the minute we landed in Bermuda, we were greeted with a warmth and friendliness that made us feel right at home. The 6th floor private check in, a clean, spacious room with upgraded bedding, linens, and plush large towels in our immaculate large bathroom with double sinks, walk in closet with shelving, umbrella, ironing board and iron, large safe, plenty of hangers, and to top it off, a beautiful Ocean View with balcony with 2 chairs and a table where we could sit and enjoy the view of Horseshoe Bay and the Hotel's private beach below. We loved our room #610 and its soft golden hues and yellow reds and orange tropical theme. The beds were very comfortable.
In addition to the friendly and helpful staff on the 6th floor, we were given breakfast, tea time , canapés and hors d'oeuvres, then sweet treats at night. They were timed throughout the day. Perfect if we wanted to skip a meal. The private beach was fantastic, the shuttle was there to take you to the beach, food and drinks were served if desired, towels, chairs, snorkeling equipment were available too. The Hotel complex also has many restaurants and a fabulous spa, several swimming pools, 2 golf courses and has ferry boat service to Hamilton
Food was wonderful, and being such a large facility one might think you'd be lost in the shuffle with hundreds of guests but we always felt special and important to everyone from the doormen and bellman, waitstaff,
Concierge, and housekeeping staff. I highly recommend this hotel in Bermuda because if you wanted you can enjoy an amazing vacation with the hotel, restaurants and beach, and never need to leave the
complex! We will return definitely!

• Stayed September 2013
I'm so glad that you were able to have such a great visit celebrating your special birthday with us! I am sure other TripAdvisor members are grateful for all the detailed information you provided - you're right, Fairmont Gold is the best! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is an excellent hotel for a vacation in Bermuda. The best part is the private - and gorgeous - beach with wonderful snorkeling. Shuttles are available on a reasonable schedule to go to the private beach or to the docks (to catch the free ferry to Hamilton). Hotel staff are very friendly and make the experience better. This does tend to be family-friendly, so that aspect should be kept in mind. The hotel has three restaurants; I hoped one of the three restaurants would have been terrific - and that is the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights in September, 2013. The hotel and staff are very nice. The restaurants are good as well. they have a trolley to take you to the private beach. I would suggest walking a short distance to the less crowded beaches as the private beach can be very crowded. I have no problem with the hotel. However, I did not care for Bermuda very much (water and beaches beautiful). Very pricey and lacking in a local character as the residents will explain that they eat where tourists eat and do what tourists do. so, you end out with a sanitized experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review - I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel and found the staff helpful and friendly. I am disappointed to hear that you did not uncover the heart of Bermuda's thriving culture - there are certainly hidden-away arts, music, and food locations that you can visit. If you're interested in that, the Bermuda Department of Community & Cultural Affairs can probably point you in the right direction next time. Thank you for your honest words, and I hope you'll reconsider Bermuda.

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!