“Nice hotel, problems with communication” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% off & $200 Credit
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Nice hotel, problems with communication”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked a room on the gold floor with an ocean view, the room was spacious and clean, and the housekeeping staff kept it clean and stocked with towels all week. The breakfast, tea and happy hour were wonderful, as was the staff that attended to you during it. Most days that was enough food to get us through the day! We saved money by not having to eat out. You also have access to complimentary soda and water, which saved money too. The beach was very nice, we walked to Horseshoe Bay one day, but left right away because the cruise ships were in port and it was very crowded, the hotels private beach had everything we needed and the trolleys were always available to bring us there and back. The only drawback was misinformation given to us a few times by different staff. We were told that the shops at the Dockyard were open late on Mondays (otherwise everything closes by 5 or 6 everywhere), so we took a cab there to find out they were all closed. We asked to buy bus passes from our 6th floor concierge, and was told they didn't sell them in the hotel, but when talking to the front desk, was told they do sell them. We requested a paper everyday, but did not get it, told the concierge and she said she would take care of it, but never did. You can take the ferry to the sister hotel for activities too, but we asked about Wednesday wine tasting we were told that had ended-not true! We went to the sister hotel the next day and saw that it had taken place, more misinformation. When we mentioned these things to the staff, they were not very apologetic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your honest review. I am glad that you liked your room and your Fairmont Gold perks. I am so sorry to hear that you received some misinformation and I am going to follow-up with our teams to ensure they are providing accurate, consistent information. I apologize for the inconvenience it caused. I hope that you will consider returning again soon, thank you so much for your comments.

1,890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

In planning a special birthday celebration it was important to select a beautiful tropical paradise not to far away. Booking our stay at the Fairmont Southhampton was the best decision, especially since we upgraded to Fairmont gold status. From the minute we landed in Bermuda, we were greeted with a warmth and friendliness that made us feel right at home. The 6th floor private check in, a clean, spacious room with upgraded bedding, linens, and plush large towels in our immaculate large bathroom with double sinks, walk in closet with shelving, umbrella, ironing board and iron, large safe, plenty of hangers, and to top it off, a beautiful Ocean View with balcony with 2 chairs and a table where we could sit and enjoy the view of Horseshoe Bay and the Hotel's private beach below. We loved our room #610 and its soft golden hues and yellow reds and orange tropical theme. The beds were very comfortable.
In addition to the friendly and helpful staff on the 6th floor, we were given breakfast, tea time , canapés and hors d'oeuvres, then sweet treats at night. They were timed throughout the day. Perfect if we wanted to skip a meal. The private beach was fantastic, the shuttle was there to take you to the beach, food and drinks were served if desired, towels, chairs, snorkeling equipment were available too. The Hotel complex also has many restaurants and a fabulous spa, several swimming pools, 2 golf courses and has ferry boat service to Hamilton
Food was wonderful, and being such a large facility one might think you'd be lost in the shuffle with hundreds of guests but we always felt special and important to everyone from the doormen and bellman, waitstaff,
Concierge, and housekeeping staff. I highly recommend this hotel in Bermuda because if you wanted you can enjoy an amazing vacation with the hotel, restaurants and beach, and never need to leave the
complex! We will return definitely!

• Stayed September 2013
I'm so glad that you were able to have such a great visit celebrating your special birthday with us! I am sure other TripAdvisor members are grateful for all the detailed information you provided - you're right, Fairmont Gold is the best! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is an excellent hotel for a vacation in Bermuda. The best part is the private - and gorgeous - beach with wonderful snorkeling. Shuttles are available on a reasonable schedule to go to the private beach or to the docks (to catch the free ferry to Hamilton). Hotel staff are very friendly and make the experience better. This does tend to be family-friendly, so that aspect should be kept in mind. The hotel has three restaurants; I hoped one of the three restaurants would have been terrific - and that is the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights in September, 2013. The hotel and staff are very nice. The restaurants are good as well. they have a trolley to take you to the private beach. I would suggest walking a short distance to the less crowded beaches as the private beach can be very crowded. I have no problem with the hotel. However, I did not care for Bermuda very much (water and beaches beautiful). Very pricey and lacking in a local character as the residents will explain that they eat where tourists eat and do what tourists do. so, you end out with a sanitized experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review - I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel and found the staff helpful and friendly. I am disappointed to hear that you did not uncover the heart of Bermuda's thriving culture - there are certainly hidden-away arts, music, and food locations that you can visit. If you're interested in that, the Bermuda Department of Community & Cultural Affairs can probably point you in the right direction next time. Thank you for your honest words, and I hope you'll reconsider Bermuda.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

So my in laws, husband and I recently stayed here for our first family vacation. The grounds are very nice, the guest services are wonderful and I LOVED the private beach. The trolley takes you to the beach where they have towels, beach chairs with awnings and food/beverage service. My favorite part about the beach was that it absolutely cleared out around 5pm and we literally had it all to ourselves. I stayed there all day many days in a row. I also enjoyed that every night there was live entertainment, not just on the weekends. I visited the spa and the small touches were what made the difference-for example I was provided a loofah for one of my treatments. I had every intention to take it with me-why just use it once? Well when I got ready to leave, my therapist had a fresh one for me...I didn't even have to ask. Also in the Jasmine Lounge big KUDOS to Robert the bartender. My husband was terribly sick and he made him an AMAZING hot toddie. I know why they call him "The Doctor"!

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars-I'm allergic to feathers and although I called and housekeeping promptly changed out my pillows, the first night they did not give me a new duvet so I had to sleep with a ratty blanket. And then we bought a rum cake that came with sauce, housekeeping threw away our sauce-there were at least 5 little containers right next to the cake--all dumped out. So we had to eat our homemade cake dry-that was disappointing. Other than those to little things, we really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review - I am so glad you had a fantastic first family vacation and enjoyed the beach, spa, and Jasmine! I am very sorry to hear about your problems with housekeeping - if you are a Fairmont President's Club member, you can note in your profile that you are allergic to feathers which should mitigate that problem in the future. I am glad these small service lapses did not, however, ruin your entire experience. Thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a top tier hotel with just a few slight warts, but the location is perfect for anyone wanting to visit the beach in Bermuda. You need to take a shuttle to the beach, but it is a good one, and Horseshoe Bay is a very short walk from the shuttle stop. Beautiful beaches, and you can swim or snorkel around the rocks a short distance from shore. As far as the hotel goes, we paid extra for the ocean view and the concierge level. I question whether the extra is worth it, although it does include afternoon tea, breakfast and evening snacks, which, given the prices in Bermuda, is probably worth quite a bit. The concierge experience was mixed, and note that there is also a concierge desk in the main lobby, in that we tried to arrange a tour at the upper floor desk, and they sent us to the lobby anyway. We happened to see the exchange between the young lady working the desk and an older woman working in the lounge, and it was clear that the older woman was not interested in helping us, although at checkin, we were advised we could book at this desk. One other interesting experience. We went down to the lounge to have a drink, thinking lounge meant bar, and were advised to seat ourselves by the hostess. We picked a comfortable couch (interesting seating in that part of the lounge), and found ourselves across from a family with a young child having dinner on the couch across from us, eating from the coffee table like you might do in your own living room. Not sure what to make of that, but overall, this is an excellent hotel and the experience was very enjoyable. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Forget the concierge level and book a less expensive room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid comments, I am glad you enjoyed the location and the beaches. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed by the service on our Fairmont Gold level - we generally do not get comments like this and I am sending your review on to the manager there to ensure this kind of thing does not happen there. Generally, people find the personalized service, great views and large spread of food to be well worth the extra money, I am sorry to hear that you did not have this experience. I hope that on future visits, our team can show you their dedication to exceptional service. Thank you again for reviewing.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great resort if you want to get away and relax. Free trolley's to the beach, dock or golf every 10 min. Free ferry into Hamilton if you want to see the city and shop. Not cheap but worth it for the great service and amenities. The private beach is excellent and right next to Horseshoe Bay. We stayed in a tropical storm and still had a great time in the hotel. The spa staff is very professional and friendly as well and made our rainy day a great time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!