“More Silver than Gold at the Fairmont Southampton” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% off & $200 Credit
Guernsey, Channel Islands
“More Silver than Gold at the Fairmont Southampton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Fairmont Southampton is an impressive hotel. Set on top of the hill with its own very good private beach, a golf course and its own ferry to Hamilton, it has everything going for it. However there are some strange issues.

At the Fairmont around the world we always go for the Gold rooms. They are more expensive but have extra benefits. Unfortunately the Gold rooms and the service at the Fairmont Southampton are not up to the standard of say the Fairmont in Abu Dhabi. The Fairmont Southampton rooms are the same as the rest of the hotel and the Gold breakfast room is unable to cope with the number of people on that floor. Free water and soft drinks but alcohol has to be paid for and is really expensive.

The food is quite good at the hotel although the Bacci was disappointing. Bermuda is very expensive and to make it worse, they add 17% gratuity to every bill "for our convenience" no matter what the service is like! Where is the incentive for them to perform well?

The blue trolley bus works well down to the beach and the small harbour. The boat cruise to Hamilton is free and delightful, but quite slow. They could easily make a small charge for that and make other things free.

Bermuda is beautiful. Beautiful seas and beaches and the people are very friendly. The downside is the cost and the fact you cannot hire a car. We hired a scooter but it is quite dangerous.

Would we go to Bermuda and the Fairmont again? Probably but there are less expensive islands we could go to with superior facilities and we could hire a car.

Room Tip: Get a Harbour View. It looks over various inlets and you can see the cruise ships in the distance.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing about your recent vacation at The Fairmont Southampton. I am glad that largely you enjoyed your stay, and I will attempt to address some of your questions but if there is anything you would like to discuss in-depth, please feel free to email me directly at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com

We take great pride in the service and standard of our Fairmont Gold products, and are disappointed to hear that you did not think they compared to others that you have seen. The Fairmont Bab Al Bahr is a fantastic, modern hotel. The Fairmont Southampton was built in 1972 and the rooms try to stay true to the hotel's Colonial and island-quaint design. I apologize if you did not find them to be modern enough. The rooms on the Fairmont Gold floor have the best views, which is how our room-types differ. Fairmont Southampton's Gold floor offers a variety of hot & cold breakfast items, canapes, afternoon tea, and late-night desserts. The honor bar system is standard across all Fairmont Gold properties, allowing guests to track their alcohol consumption to be paid for at time of check-out.

I apologize that you found the food in Bacci to be lacking, I will forward your concerns to our food & beverage department.

Due to the size of Bermuda, renting cars is not legal to preserve the island against road congestion and pollution, but scooters are available. It can be dangerous if you are not confident riding one, in which case I would strongly suggest using the inexpensive public transport system or taxis, both of which are fairly reliable ways of getting around.

Thank you for sharing your concerns, which have been forwarded on to our operating departments - I hope that you will give Bermuda another chance in future years, as it truly is a beautiful destination.

1,830 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We visited the island during the off-season and enjoyed a very peaceful sanctuary. Everyone was very friendly. Getting into town will require a cab but the restaurants in town are phenomenal. I also suggest the small pubs, which are less expensive but still provide quality food in a light/fun atmosphere. The hotel restaurants are also good, but a little pricey. If you grab a cocktail from the lobby bar, be sure to order the Dawa Cocktail.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The staff at this hotel were outstanding. They were attentive without being pushy and they were all happy and pleasant . They quickly corrected a wrong entry on our bill and were so attentive to our needs from breakfast right through to the cocktail hour. Chantal was the perfect hostess on the beach as she was charming and attentive .
Thanks to your organization for making our trip one of a lifetime as there were 8 of us traveling. We will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for sharing about your trip - we all make mistakes sometimes, but I am glad the errors were corrected quickly for you. We've passed along your kudos about Chantal who is thrilled to have been mentioned. We're so glad to hear the 8 of you had such a fantastic time, and we can't wait to welcome you back for the next visit!
Orange, Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just spent another wonderful vacation on Bermuda at The Fairmont. It is a fantastic hotel with much to offer! Our room was large with a very comfortable bed, sitting area, and beautiful balcony overlooking the bay/Waterlot area. We prefer that view to the ocean one because you get to see the pretty houses. After a small issue with our view not being the one we had requested, Russell arranged for us to get the view and treated us very nicely. We were on the Gold floor which we highly recommend. The food and service is terrific. If you are able to get a table outside, it is just like eating on your own balcony. Every night we looked forward to the after-dinner macaroons and cookies. Except for certain times in the morning, the lounge was not too busy and was a relaxing spot. Taking the trolley to the beach is not a problem at all. In fact, we visited Elbow Beach and The Reefs Hotels and depending where your room is, you need to do a lot of walking or take a van at those places. Here the trolley runs very frequently to the beach and the dock/Waterlot.
The restaurants are fabulous. The Waterlot is still a premiere restaurant and the ceasar salad is quite a treat to have it made fresh at tableside. Vincent, our waiter, made our dessert even more special by having "Happy Anniversary" written on a piece of chocolate. The Ocean House offers great seafood, service and beautiful views. My husband enjoyed the fish chowded at both places. The pool and beach restaurants offered good food and quick service. I made all of our dinner reservations ahead of time, but it seemed not to be a problem the week we were there to make new ones.
We enjoy many of the beaches on the South Shore, but when we did go to the hotel beach in the mid afternoon, we had no problem getting seats. The same for the pool. We discovered the hot tub this trip; it's set off by itself to the left of the pool (facing the ocean). It is a busy hotel, but that does not take away from a couples romantic experience.
Regarding Bermuda: We rode a moped all around the island. It is a great way to see the island, but you need to be confident about your riding ability. The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse offers great views of the island and the gift shop is reasonable and great for souvenirs. We rented a boat from H20 watersports and really enjoyed seeing the little islands and swimming off the boat. We rode to the Dockyard and then had a picnic lunch packed by the hotel. It would have been less expensive to buy food at the Dockyard instead. We had dinner at Coconuts (The Reefs) - great pasta and Seabreeze (Elbow Beach) - great tapas. It's not problem getting cabs at the Fairmont.
Bermuda is a beautiful island that is wonderful to explore. We are always torn between exploring and relaxing at this beautiful resort. Will be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thank you for such a complimentary review - we will pass along your comments to Russell, especially, who is a fantastic, committed manager. We agree - Fairmont Gold is the best and those macaroons are delightful! Thank you for also sharing your helpful tips for exploring Bermuda - it sounds like you had a fantastic and fun action-packed vacation - boating, and scooting and exploring! Thank you for posting, and we hope to welcome you back to us again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Fairmont's Southampton Hotel is spectacular. Great setting and an always wonderful Bermuda. Individual staff can still be unbelievably nice and accommodating while others can be frustrating and slow. The team that greets your arrival is as good as you could hope for. Restaurant staff are typically very good. There is a nice female bartender that takes 5 minutes to shine your wine glass when you really just want a glass of wine so avoid her. Table service in the main bar and outside area is unbelievably slow. it is difficult or impossible to get pool or beach food or drink service so prepare for that before you go. Other than that, I would highly recommend the hotel and all the restaurants. Great job in general.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your highs and lows of your recent visit. We have passed along the feedback about the service time and wine glass, and hopefully this can help us improve our commitment to exceptional service.
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a four day stay at FS. Booked a junior suite at time of booking online. I was contacted by a hotel representative a week prior to arrival trying to entice me to upgrade to the Fairmont Gold experience.

I was told, "We currently have you booked into one of our best Harbor View Junior Suites in the main hotel. However staying on Fairmont Gold would add an extra touch of luxury to your stay:" The note went on to explain the benefits of Fairmont Gold and the additional expense.

I enjoy the comfort of a larger room when I travel for pleasure so I politely declined the request as the upgraded room would have less square footage. (450 vs 650 sq ft). I assumed from the note from the gentleman from the hotel that my room situation would be fine.

I was wrong.

My "one of our best Harbor View Junior Suites" had the following attributes:

- A second floor room with a view of the roof of the Windows on the Sound restaurant. It is possible to get a peek at the harbor, but a massive spider web precluded me from full access to the balcony.

- A room right on the back of the elevator bank with the delightful experience of listening to the elevators go up and down throughout the day and night.

- A tub that would not drain well. I was a few inches deep in shower water by the end of the my first shower after having pulled the stopper completely out.

- A bathroom door that would not close without excessive force.

I brought these issues (sans the spider web) to the front desk. The manager greeted me and my wife in the lobby and assured us that we would not be able to get another room as the hotel was full. She did send a crew up to the room to service the tub and bathroom door. After dinner we returned to the room to find the bathtub drain fixed and the bathroom door was better. A message from the manager confirmed that we would not be able to get another room.

While the room problems and floor selection could be coincidental, I was left feeling as if there was possibly some malice to not upgrading my room and I certainly was not feeling like the "loyal guest to our brand" as indicated in the hotel's communication to me.

This set a very negative tone. Considering how much time is spent in a room during vacation, at least 1/3 of the time sleeping, and the room experience I have to rate as a 0, it was difficult to give a warm review. Had it not been for the room issue I would have probably given the experience a 4.

Additionally, the first morning when I woke up I had someone else's checkout bill under my door. While, this alone does not exhibit the highest in professional standards, when I brought this issue to the attention of the front desk they asked me to retrieve the bill and bring it down to them which I felt was unprofessional.

The positives:
- Very welcoming staff in general
- The spa is fantastic
- The shuttle runs very frequently
- Location to the beaches
- Food in the restaurants is good/excellent

The negatives:
- Service at restaurants is spotty
- 4 breakfasts at Windows (2 Excellent, 1 Fair, 1 Poor)
- Dinner at Wickets Poor
- 1 Dinner and 2 drinks at Jasmine (1 Excellent, 1 Good, 1 Poor)
- Dinner at Ocean View Excellent
- Dinner at Newport Excellent
- Soundproofing in the rooms is poor

Not good or bad
- The beach is nice, but it is a bit crowded
- It is a nice hotel, however there are many children and it hosts conferences so it lacks a bit of an intimate feel

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, Tom, for sharing your candid thoughts with us. I want to first and foremost assure you that we do not penalize or punish our guests in any way for not choosing to upgrade. It sounds like the person that contacted you thought you might enjoy the extra amenities of the Fairmont Gold floor. There are only 5 Junior Suite Harbour rooms in the building, and as-such, I imagine it would be difficult to relocate you during our busy summer months. I apologize for this inconvenience.

I am glad to hear our Front Desk were able to get your room serviced, but I apologize that it was wanting for repairs when you checked in. I am sure they would have dealt with the spider web if you had mentioned it, but I am sorry it was overlooked before your check-in. The Front Desk certainly should have retreived the bill themselves, and I apologize that you were spoken to in that manner. Regarding the incorrect bill, our staff do make mistakes, and I hope that they thoroughly apologized for the matter.

I am glad you did seem to make the best of your visit, and dined extensively and enjoyed the Willow Stream Spa. I want to extend my sincere apologies for the problems you faced, and if you would like to discuss any of them further, please feel free to email me directly at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com . Thank you again for sharing.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We spent a week at the Fairmont Southampton in June (our 3rd visit in 4 years) and once again had a great trip. We had a 6th floor room (the President's Club floor), a one bedroom king suite with two baths, two walk-in closets and two balconies. The Club floor offers a wonderful breakfast each morning and the staff is truly attentive and friendly. In fact, we found all of the hotel's staff to be very friendly and accommodating throughout our trip.

We enjoyed several dinners at the Fairmont including two at the Ocean Club overlooking the Atlantic. The food and service were very good. We also had an evening BBQ on the beach; several lunches at the beach and a great steak dinner at The Waterlot. We had dinner at their Italian restaurant - Bacci and that was also very good. Your could easily spend a week there and enjoys a broad range of great dining without leaving the property.

Our days were spent primarily at the hotel's beach where we snorkeled, paddle boarded and swam among the huge rock outcroppings for hours looking at all kinds of fish. Further out on the reef I ventured to see larger fish and large schools, but it is rougher out there and not advisable unless you are experienced and with a buddy and float. In the evening we sometimes went to the Spa pool after dinner and had a jacuzzi overlooking the ocean.

There is tennis and golf, but we did not partake this year...we have golfed there in the past and it is a fun course and they rent very good clubs. I usually just bring balls, a glove and my golf shoes.

We also spent an afternoon at the pool at the Fairmont Hamilton which is accessible via the free water taxi. The water taxi is fun and an enjoyable sightseeing excursion in itself. The Hamilton Fairmont has a lovely fresh water pool and another that is salt water. It is a nice way to spend the afternoon and also leave to go and see around Hamilton which is very walkable. We had a great dinner at The Lobster Pot in Hamilton (one of my favourite local haunts).

Another restaurant we enjoy when there is Mickey's, at the Elbow Beach Hotel...the food, wine and service are superb and it feels like an evening on a beach in Italy. Its about an $18 taxi ride from the Southampton.

I continue to highly recommend the Fairmont Southampton for an active, upmarket beach holiday...it checks every box. Bermuda is a truly unique island. It is distinctly civilised and safe for all kinds of travellers. Higher cost due to the need to transport everything to the island, but well worth the additional expense in my view.

Oh, and there is an amazing beach next door - a public beach that you can walk forever, with huge rock formations, tidal pools and sand dunes. It has to be seen to be believed (Horseshoe Beach). It can be busy if a cruise ship is in, but if not, go and check it out - it is accessible through a gate from the Southampton's beach driveway. The Southampton beach is 'guests only'.

We will be going back again and again.

Room Tip: higher floors have great views and even the non-ocean view rooms have good harbour views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing about your return visit to Bermuda! From the sounds of your review of The Fairmont Southampton, you had a thoroughly excellent visit - exactly the type of relaxing, full-of-fun vacation we hope to provide all our guests. We can't wait to welcome you back, again and again :).

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!