“they cater to business groups including State Farm Ins.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
3rd Night Free
Cranford, NJ
“they cater to business groups including State Farm Ins.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel doesn't cater to families, it rather caters to business groups, they want to keep them happy. The hotel was overbooked and the beach was really crowded, not mention the hotel is not on the beach and you have to grab the bus to get there. Yes, I knew this in advance but it was not good and like I said, the beach is really overcrowded.
We received good service in the hotel. The lobby doesn't compare to the Fairmont in town which has been upgraded and just beautiful. The restaurants were good, that includes Baci and the beachfront restaurant. Although, the beachfront restaurant was great atmosphere to dine outside with the sunset, the food was OK, not great.
The rooms were nice, we had adjoining rooms due to traveling with teenagers and that was good.
Loved Bermuda but I absolutely would not return to this particular hotel, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The first night we were there, we ate at Jasmine's, a restaurant at the hotel. We waited 45 minutes for the food, and another half hour for our food to be picked up when finished. Not once was our water re-filled. Was near impossible to get service from the restaurant. Horrible service, and it was what we experienced throughout our stay. We paid $45 a night (in addition to our room rate) for gratuities for housekeeping and the bellmen. Not once did any bellmen assist us with any luggage or strollers, as we were traveling with 2 children under the age of 2. No turndown service. We found out on our 2nd day that the outdoor pool was closed (the one that is more family friendly, much bigger then the indoor pool and with a slide). - Never was this mentioned while making our reservation. Our room was nice and spacious. Bed was great! We also enjoyed the Bermuda breakfast on Sunday, great selection. The property is amazing, with beautiful views, but the lack of service will prevent us from coming back. We wrote the manager, and even then could not come to a resolution. They obviously are not focused on customer service, and that's unfortunate because it is an awesome property!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Background: Bermuda was on my bucket list, always wanted to go and of course, stay at the Fairmont! Plus it was my birthday so wanted to ensure I had a perfect experience! Read all the reviews, good and bad (not many but did not want to be that .0009% that have a bad experience for whatever reason), and sent an email to the Fairmont regarding the negative reviews. Also, I’m really picky, try to stay at the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc. when budget allows. And the survey says…….
**************************************Better than superb!***********************************************
I received multiple emails from the Carlita Lodge, the Marketing and Communications Manager, who assured me that my stay would be of the highest caliber and I had been upgraded two levels!

***************
Upon arrival, within minutes of entering my room, got a call from Alex, another manager, who confirmed my satisfaction with my room and offered his services if I needed anything. BTW, the room was gorgeous, had a view of the atlantic ocean, beautiful!

**************
When I returned that evening, there was a gorgeous birthday cake (see my pictures!) that I wound up snacking on the whole time (had a fridge in my room); with a card from Rita, another manager, also offering assistance should I need it.
***************
Then I get a knock on the door and Judy, the person assigned in the evening, asked if I needed anything and did so every night I was there.
****************
The concierge Maurice was outstanding, so patient and very helpful.
*****************
When I went to the front desk Monday, Pete, the manager from the Gold floor came out and when I told him I was thinking of going out to dinner and trying scuba, he whipped out his phone and proceeded to make reservations at various restaurants and arrange for a scuba diving .
****************
While Pete was on the phone, Alex came out and introduced himself again and offered his assistance.
****************
Oh, and how could I forget Tanya, at the front desk, so pleasant, so accommodating, so gracious, even when she was outside of the hotel, and not working.
Everyone was wonderful. Once again the Fairmont sets itself apart with its customer centric attitude.
*******************
As usual, loved the robe and slippers (left the slippers, but now that I think about it, maybe you can take them home, check with the desk). The bed was so comfy, love those pillows, sheets and duvet. Loved all the little touches (assorted coffees, emery boards, cotton puffs, closet big enough for a cabinet to put all your clothes, both folded and hung)
Loved the pool (indoor, little small for laps but so nice with the openings to the outside), fitness center ( fruit, iced lemon and plain water dispensers) and that view of the ocean, plus I loved they had a defribillator (being prepared!)
Loved the shops (Madree was so helpful since I had to buy another bag to fit the stuff I bought).
Loved the food, even if the buffalo wings weren’t really buffalo wings (they were hot, crispy and fresh)
Love the smoked salmon plate and the flexibility of room service to bring up the cream cheese, after the fact.
Loved the daily news digest.
Loved the friendliness of the trolley drivers.
Loved Nick, who followed up regarding pickup when I was leaving.
**********************
Tips, buy the 3 day pass, taking the bus to St. Georges, Hamilton, etc, you get wonderful sense of the island. Join the president’s club so you get free wifi; buy a phone card (available at the front desk, to avoid fee, can call from the lobby area pay phones) if you plan to call the states or you may be liable for huge roaming charges (I kept my phone on airplane mode the whole time); arrange online in advance for CEO shuttle (just keep in mind if you don’t check your luggage, you will be waiting if someone else has checked theirs).
****************************
Love the green initiative…..
Also comments about the cost; being originally from New York ( and also have a job where I see a lot of hotel folios and meal receipts) , did not think the prices were out of line for a hotel, especially a high end one. Loved that the gratuity, etc was included (didn’t need to do the math) in everything.
**********************
To repeat, better than superb. All of the staff, and I’ve forgotten some names, went out of their way and they did not have to, really made my birthday absolutely perfect, looking to return next year!

Room Tip: higher floors, better view, harbor, ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Between the views of the Atlantic Ocean and the elegance of the property when you enter the lobby, the Fairmont South Hampton is one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed at. While the room was nothing out of this world, the views were one of a kind. The property grounds were expansive, but manageable with the trolly service that would pick you up from the lobby area and down to the private beach as well to other areas of the property.

The staff was also first class and always willing to assist. I stayed for about a week in September '11 and outside of about ten minutes of rain we got when we first arrived, it was high 70s/low 80s for the remainder of the week.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is really nice. It had a formal, yet friendly atmosphere. It is is in a prime location (even though you have to take the trolley to get to the beautiful beach). We had a nice deal to go ($150 per night- and additional fees, w/ continental breakfast included), were well informed through tripadvisor so our expectations were correct. There were no club level rooms available and it was not a problem for us, ESP bc our deal included free continental breakfast (remember to ask for a bottle of water that you can refill @ water coolers @ the beach and pool restaurants). We had a room on the 5th floor with a nice lighthouse, water views..but not ocean front and huge walk in closet. Reading about club level noise issues made me grateful that we didnt have any common areas on our floor. Since we do have kids, it may not have been as much of an issue, but if you are travelling as adults only, you might want to consider the time of year you visit since this was a very family friendly resort. We enjoyed breakfast at the Cabana and we were able to get great beach chairs and umbrella by 10:30am, even if we were "second row." If you want to be in the 1st row, you'll want to set up earlier. Loved the free snorkle tour, kayak trip, although you do have to pay for rentals through Dive Bermuda, which is right on the beach. Also had fun with renting the big round float that our family of 4 rested on,dove off of,etc for $20 per hr. Definitly walk over to Horseshoe Bay beach, and continue on to the beautiful beaches beyond fro the Fairmont beach. Horseshoe Bay is busy with cruise ships,etc, the beaches beyond are more quite and BREATHTAKING! Bermuda has the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! It was so nice to come back from the beach and spend some time at the pool. Then we would go to dinner and enjoy the indoor pool from 6:30-midnight. There was also a VERY HOT jacuzzi just outside. Beautiful, but too painfully hot for me!
Food was expensive but delicious everywhere we ate (even at the beach)! The concierge was so helpful and we made our reservations for dinners on site and off site as soon as we got there. If you follow my restaurant reviews, I will be more specific. The concierge recommended we take the "short" walk to the lighthouse. Great views and restaurant! I'm glad we did, but "short" is relative to what you're used to. It was a bit of a walk in the heat w/kids on narrow winding roads w/o sidewalks! We took a cab back.
Everything IS pricey. Definitely sign up for the President's Club through the hotel website BEFORE you visit. This entitles you to free wifi and it even worked at the beach. Also, kids were able to order from the regular menu at half price. There was also a separate check-in line.
Wednesday night was harbor night (street vendors and a late ferry back, check w/concierge) in Hamilton. We took the complimentary hotel ferry over. We got to the dock early, enjoyed a drink at the Dock at the Waterlot Inn and were glad we were early bc the ferry left 10 minutes earlier than scheduled! It was slow but pretty. We took a cab back bc it ended up down pouring, which was a surprise to us since there were blue skies when we left!
Being that our flights were from NJ, we were @ the hotel by 11am and had a bag packed w/ our swimsuits, etc, it was easy for us to enjoy the day even though check in was @ 4. We also were able to enjoy our departure day since we didn't have to leave the hotel for airport until 1pm. A 4 night stay was perfect for us. If we were there longer we may have enjoyed a few more activities on the island like glass bottom boat, crystal caves, etc..but we had to save some things for our next trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in August 2012. Although our room was on a lower floor the hilltop location still provided us views of distant cruise ships in the harbor. The room was clean, nothing extravagant, big closet, nice balcony. The concierge desk was always eager to help us with anything we needed. The shuttle to the beach is only a few minutes down the hill and provides access to the "private" Fairmont beach as well as Horseshoe Bay and further down the beach. The Fairmont beach in East Whale Bay is great. Nice area with crystal clear water and rock jumping if you dare. The beach bar is great with live local music most days. Great for a quick meal or a few drinks. A short walk down to the bus stop provides clean transportation to Hamilton, I would definitely recommend the Friday night block party. Local music and artists, food right next to the cruise ship docks in Hamilton. Very clean and I had no second thoughts walking at night from the block party to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess to look around. If you want a great dinner away from the Fairmont but not too far I'd recommend the Waterlot Inn. Pricey but delicious. Food at the Fairmont was good, we loved the breakfast buffet(included with our package). We visited the club downstairs once, mostly just teenagers sneaking drinks from what we saw, could be fun if you were with a group. Was impressed by the Fairmont and moreso Bermuda overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a 4-star hotel located in Southampton Parrish. We visited in February when temps are generally in the 60s during the day, so didn't spend that much time on the beach. The hotel was pretty quiet as this is the off-season. The staff was very friendly and accomodating at every turn. The immediate area where the hotel is doesn't really have much to do but the beach, tennis, golf. The spa is extremely overpriced, but overall this is an expensive island. As others have commented, there are really no night activities to speak of. The room was comfortable and clean and the beds were soft. The hotel is about 35 min cab ride from the airport, and is situated on the bus route so you can get to downtown (Hamilton) on the bus in about 30 min, the Crystal Caves area takes about 30-40 min. Overall this is a solid 4 star resort and is probably the best luxury resort on the island.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!