“Nice Property, Nice Staff, So So Food” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% off & $200 Credit
New York City, New York
“Nice Property, Nice Staff, So So Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just recently came back from staying at the Fairmont Southampton. It was a nice and relaxing stay. Here are some of my thoughts:

Bermuda
Beautiful destination, very clean and the people are very cordial. Not much on the main strip but shops and restaurants, but it was nice for a leisurely stroll. We went during the beginning of February, so it was a bit breezy and not hot enough to really enjoy the beaches. Just be aware that whatever weather is going on in the east coast of the U.S., Bermuda will get a ping of that to. So snowy and cold in NY, it will be breezy and very cool in Bermuda.

Hotel
Nice rooms, very comfortable beds. Basically a standard hotel room. It was comfortable, spacious and clean. Staff was quite nice, especially the doorman Nick. He is a true treasure and the Fairmont is lucky to have him. He gave great suggestions on where to go, what to eat, etc. It was nice to have him around in case we had any questions.

This was my only gripe with the hotel and with the destination. As many reviewers have already stated, the food is quite expensive. My friend and I combined spent about $450 on food for a 3 night stay, and believe me we ate average meals (2 eggs for breakfast, sandwich or salad for lunch, nice dinner, a couple of drinks). We even had the 20% off promotion on all of our food within the hotel and went during restaurant week in Bermuda and the bills were still expensive.We mostly ate on property but did experience 2-3 restaurants offsite. So please be prepared to spend a good chunk of your budget on food and drink.

Unfortunately in my opinion the food was average on property and about average to nice off property. The food just never tasted flavorful. It's as if they cook without seasoning anything. Even off property, we ate at a great restaurant called Barracuda that was very nice (pricey) but good. But it wasn't great, and still there was always something off. I don't know if our palettes are too American (salt, butter, spices) or if they prefer to cook their food in a plain way to stay as safe as possible, but we never had a great enjoyable meal. It was mostly just decent food.

Transportation
Taxi's are everywhere and plentiful, but could get pricey if you use them to various destinations in a day. We did use the local bus transportation from time to time ($10 for a day pass that can be purchased at the hotel). They come quite often and it's very easy to use to get to the downtown area or anywhere else you want to go (You would use the #8 to get to and from the hotel). If you want to get a nice tour of Bermuda, it's a good idea to use the bus system. It's clean and efficient.

All in all we had a nice trip, and I may give the destination another go when the weather is a bit nicer.

Room Tip: Rooms - The higher you stay the better the view. Spend the few extra bucks to upgrade to 5th floor o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your visit to The Fairmont Southampton, we are glad to hear you found it relaxing. You are right, Bermuda can be slightly breezy in the winter, but certainly nowhere near temperatures on the East Coast. In January & February, Bermuda's average temperature is 63 F. Certainly a warm respite from snowy East Coast!

We are disappointed to hear your feedback on the food. We take great pride in having fresh, flavourful food and are sorry to hear that you did not find it exceptional. The Fairmont Southampton has dining options at a variety of price-points to suit a range of budgets, and is priced similarly to other outlets in the country.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed the public bus system- you're right, it is a great way to explore Bermuda. We hope to host you again in the future, and will aim to exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your honest feedback.

1,879 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Polish first
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I travelled with my husband on January 1st 2013 on a last minute 5 day booking. Every aspect of our stay was outstanding. We were driven to the hotel by taxi and had a room upgrade without even requesting it. We looked out over the harbour on a beautiful, peaceful vista. Our room was large and luxurious with a most comfortable king sized bed furnished with white, immaculate linens. We ate in the Jasmine lounge on arrival but were able to buy some groceries for picnic lunches and breakfasts as there was a small fridge in our room. The shuttle bus to Middle road took us to within a five minute walk of a fully stocked grocery store. The hotel shuttle was also convenient to travel to the beach area where we were able to begin our long walks from Horseshoe Bay to Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Beach. We were fortunate to have perfect weather for outdoor activities. The free ferry to Hamilton was also very convenient but we did buy bus tickets for a few trips to sight see. The Fairmont SouthHampton staff were more than helpful and so friendly . Nick at the front door never failed to greet us with a special welcome smile. We were made to feel important
A special mention must be made of the Willow Spring Spa where I enjoyed a special membership of only $99 during my stay. The hot tub looking out over the ocean was a great place to watch the sunrise. The steam room, sauna and beautiful indoor pool were all available to me for unlimited use. A house coat is provided and although I did not indulge in a spa treatment I still felt very pampered. Free fruit and lemon water were available and the decor was second to none in the lounges. It was still decorated for christmas so it looked especially beautiful. I has thought a stay at the Princess would be out of our price range but it was very good value for the money when bought as a package. I hope we can return soon again. This was actually our fourth trip to Bermuda but we had previously only experience the afternoon tea at the Princess whish was also very impressive.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor. I would have liked a room where the sun shone on our balcony since...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing about your experience- it is great to hear that on your 4th Bermuda visit, you were able to stay with us at The Fairmont Southampton. The decorations for Christmas are wonderful, we're very happy you enjoyed them. It also sounds like you were able to spend a lot of relaxing and tranquil time at the Willow Stream Spa - their facilities are truly top-notch and it is such a peaceful environment. Thank you again for sharing the details of your visit- we hope to have you back again soon!
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I spent the President's Day weekend (Thursday through Monday) at the Fairmont Southampton. Our reason for going was to visit Bermuda, a new destination, and we have always had good experiences with the Fairmont. No exception to that. They arranged airport transportation, we didn't even 'check in' as the Bellman knew we were coming and took us to our room. It was kind of cool flying right over our big pink hotel. The property is beautiful and the restaurants terrific. Waterlot is expensive, but worth it for the food and experience of a nearly 350 year old property. That said, I think our favorite was the Newport, right off the lobby. The atmoshpere was fun, the food terrific, and the people really friendly. Our only regret is that we only had 1 more night by the time we ate there and couldn't return. Learn from us and eat there 'the Chicago way', early and often. One highlight for us was walking the Railway Trail towards the Dockyards. We went about 12 kilometers and then took the bus the rest of the way (we were running out of time!). Our suggestion to the conceirge was that they recommend that trail as a bike trail for guests. Wonderful walk, but it would be a really great bike ride. I didn't get to play the golf course, but that looks like a really fun par 3 track. I did play Port Royal---go play that course. Nice layout and really interesting holes, especially 15 and 16. Took a little while but I was told that is normal; no worries.

Great trip, fabulous property. And if you talk to the conceirge prior to getting there and you promise to stop by the desk to say 'Hi', make sure you remember----because they do! Go and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your weekend getaway to Bermuda at The Fairmont Southampton. It sounds like you and your wife had a great visit, which is always wonderful to hear. The Newport, a Gastropub is a new addition to our food & beverage offerings, so it is nice to get feedback that guests enjoy it - the menu there is so varied, and at prices that make sense. We are very proud of the new concept there. It also sounds like you really explored Bermuda during your long walk- sounds very relaxing. We hope you're able to return for another quick getaway soon! Thanks again for reviewing.
Sevastopol, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

It is not central located, stays on the hill overlooking the ocean.
Nice clean and friendly.
They have own bus to their beach,I wouldn't walk there couse it is kinda far away and especially in summer you get tired before get to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like previous posters, I have to say that the staff at the Fairmont Southampton are amazing. They are just genuinely nice people who seem to enjoy their job. The only person who's name I actually caught was Nick, the concierge, but everyone at this property always greeted us with a smile and a hello and was always super helpful.

We booked a deluxe harbour view room and got room 257. This is a corner room that sort of has a partial view of the harbour; if you were in your room you could only see half habour and the other half is (I think) the golf course. If you went to the balcony and faced left you'd see the whole harbour.

I requested for a King sized bed, a crib and a fridge. Crib and fridge were not in our room but a quick call to the front desk had housekeeping bring the items to us in a timely manner. The room is a good size, with double sinks, marble countertops, a separate room for the toilet and bathtub and high end amenities. There is also a flatscreen TV with American cable channels, and desk with two chairs and an armchair/recliner. There is plenty of room, even with our crib, for our son to walk/run around.

We left our room around 12 on most days and by the time we came home (5, 6ish) our room was always cleaned.

I asked to borrow a stroller (which the concierge mentioned they had when I called prior to leaving for my trip) and housekeeping brought that up. It's a somewhat old, metal (re: HEAVY) stroller but still beats us having to lug our own from the States! I also thought this was a great perk and that ALL hotels should have loaner strollers!

There are a few onsite restaurants; Jasmine Lounge has small bites that you can request to take up to your room (no inroom dining charge but 17% gratuity charge). We brought back pizza one night and it's AMAZING but very small! Definitely more a snack and not a meal. We also had dinner one night at the Newport Room; hubby enjoyed the steak very much whereas my mahimahi was only ehhh. Wouldn't recommend the fish but wholeheartedly recommend the steak (and their awesome fries).

There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel and the busdrivers were always very friendly and approachable. We were able to tell them where we needed to go and they would always remind us at that particular stop. Tokens and passes can be bought at the front desk.

The indoor pool can only be used by hotel guests after 6:30pm, which normally wouldn't be an issue but I think during off season this should be a bit more flexible? What if the weather was bad and hotel guests needed to stay indoors? We didn't use the heated outdoor pool since it was just slightly nippy and I wouldn't want my son to catch a cold.

We had free WiFi in our room and the connection was very strong; never had any issues with it.

There is a free ferry that goes to the sister hotel, Fairmont Hamilton that departs at 9:30, 12:30 and 5:30 and returns at 10:30, 1:30 and 6:30. I would've liked a later return (maybe 8, 9?) for those that want to have dinner in Hamilton. It takes about 25 minutes to get to Hamilton on the ferry.

All in all a great experience.

Room Tip: Room 257 is a corner room that is on the path of the trolley so may not be a good choice if you are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. We're glad that you had a satisfying vacation with us, and found the service and amenities to be high-quality. It sounds like the small bumps you encountered were quickly smoothed over by our staff. The Spa indoor pool is part of the Willow Stream Spa, and is a quiet spa sanctuary during the day, but open to all guests after 6:30 pm. We are glad you had the opportunity to experience it, then. Thank you again for sharing your experiences, we hope to have you with us again soon!
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I checked in for a brief tour and meeting at this hotel. From the time we exited the cab, we had one fantastic visit! The staff was more that friendly, courteous, and gracious.

Our sleeping room had an incredible view and was nothing short of royal! Everything was top-notch. From the time that the bellman greeted us, we knew that this was going to be fun!

When you stay there, you must experience the Water Lot Dining Room. The menu is great, teh wine list even better and the staff was most helpful by making suggestions as to what was the freshest, etc..

If there were a higher rating, I would be happy to give this hotel the highest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Perhaps it was the time of year, mid January, but the hotel lacked character and a warm welcome, from check in staff to staf in the resteraunts and bars there was a lack of charm and friendliness.
There is no excuse for the staggering cost of food and drink.
Could not recommend this hotel, or indeed bermuda.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. We are upset to hear that you did not enjoy your experience, we are committed to providing exceptional service that is friendly. Our food & beverage offerings have a wide range of pricing to suit each budget. Bermuda is a remote sub-tropical island, and food is slightly more expensive here than some larger destinations. We try to offer lots of great deals for our guests and are disappointed that you did not enjoy Bermuda. We hope that you will reconsider your position on a truly beautiful destination.

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!