“Great property, unbelievably staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% off & $200 Credit
New York City, New York
“Great property, unbelievably staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like previous posters, I have to say that the staff at the Fairmont Southampton are amazing. They are just genuinely nice people who seem to enjoy their job. The only person who's name I actually caught was Nick, the concierge, but everyone at this property always greeted us with a smile and a hello and was always super helpful.

We booked a deluxe harbour view room and got room 257. This is a corner room that sort of has a partial view of the harbour; if you were in your room you could only see half habour and the other half is (I think) the golf course. If you went to the balcony and faced left you'd see the whole harbour.

I requested for a King sized bed, a crib and a fridge. Crib and fridge were not in our room but a quick call to the front desk had housekeeping bring the items to us in a timely manner. The room is a good size, with double sinks, marble countertops, a separate room for the toilet and bathtub and high end amenities. There is also a flatscreen TV with American cable channels, and desk with two chairs and an armchair/recliner. There is plenty of room, even with our crib, for our son to walk/run around.

We left our room around 12 on most days and by the time we came home (5, 6ish) our room was always cleaned.

I asked to borrow a stroller (which the concierge mentioned they had when I called prior to leaving for my trip) and housekeeping brought that up. It's a somewhat old, metal (re: HEAVY) stroller but still beats us having to lug our own from the States! I also thought this was a great perk and that ALL hotels should have loaner strollers!

There are a few onsite restaurants; Jasmine Lounge has small bites that you can request to take up to your room (no inroom dining charge but 17% gratuity charge). We brought back pizza one night and it's AMAZING but very small! Definitely more a snack and not a meal. We also had dinner one night at the Newport Room; hubby enjoyed the steak very much whereas my mahimahi was only ehhh. Wouldn't recommend the fish but wholeheartedly recommend the steak (and their awesome fries).

There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel and the busdrivers were always very friendly and approachable. We were able to tell them where we needed to go and they would always remind us at that particular stop. Tokens and passes can be bought at the front desk.

The indoor pool can only be used by hotel guests after 6:30pm, which normally wouldn't be an issue but I think during off season this should be a bit more flexible? What if the weather was bad and hotel guests needed to stay indoors? We didn't use the heated outdoor pool since it was just slightly nippy and I wouldn't want my son to catch a cold.

We had free WiFi in our room and the connection was very strong; never had any issues with it.

There is a free ferry that goes to the sister hotel, Fairmont Hamilton that departs at 9:30, 12:30 and 5:30 and returns at 10:30, 1:30 and 6:30. I would've liked a later return (maybe 8, 9?) for those that want to have dinner in Hamilton. It takes about 25 minutes to get to Hamilton on the ferry.

All in all a great experience.

Room Tip: Room 257 is a corner room that is on the path of the trolley so may not be a good choice if you are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. We're glad that you had a satisfying vacation with us, and found the service and amenities to be high-quality. It sounds like the small bumps you encountered were quickly smoothed over by our staff. The Spa indoor pool is part of the Willow Stream Spa, and is a quiet spa sanctuary during the day, but open to all guests after 6:30 pm. We are glad you had the opportunity to experience it, then. Thank you again for sharing your experiences, we hope to have you with us again soon!

1,963 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I checked in for a brief tour and meeting at this hotel. From the time we exited the cab, we had one fantastic visit! The staff was more that friendly, courteous, and gracious.

Our sleeping room had an incredible view and was nothing short of royal! Everything was top-notch. From the time that the bellman greeted us, we knew that this was going to be fun!

When you stay there, you must experience the Water Lot Dining Room. The menu is great, teh wine list even better and the staff was most helpful by making suggestions as to what was the freshest, etc..

If there were a higher rating, I would be happy to give this hotel the highest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Perhaps it was the time of year, mid January, but the hotel lacked character and a warm welcome, from check in staff to staf in the resteraunts and bars there was a lack of charm and friendliness.
There is no excuse for the staggering cost of food and drink.
Could not recommend this hotel, or indeed bermuda.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. We are upset to hear that you did not enjoy your experience, we are committed to providing exceptional service that is friendly. Our food & beverage offerings have a wide range of pricing to suit each budget. Bermuda is a remote sub-tropical island, and food is slightly more expensive here than some larger destinations. We try to offer lots of great deals for our guests and are disappointed that you did not enjoy Bermuda. We hope that you will reconsider your position on a truly beautiful destination.
Regina Sask
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just got back from Bermuda, The Fairmont Southhampton ( the Princess) is a great place to stay. They should not have named their other hotel the Princess because all the locals still call South Hampton the Princess and for good reason. The building stands out like a castle, the golf course was a great par 3 that we played 3 times, and was never busy. Not too many people here in January so we got the upgrade on already a 50% room saving to an ocean view. Had 20% off golf and food as well. Berumda is a great island if you want to golf, especially in January , we signed up for the visitors tournament at Port Royal and had the course to ourselves n a Monday morning, the knock off $70 off the $180 rate ( with cart) Still cheaper than golf in Jamaica, and only a short cab ride from FSH, the other course that was closer you could take the shuttle we ran out of days is all. All staff very friendly , rooms awesome , taking the bus was an easy way to get to either end of the island, fun to see the locals , made some bus friends as well as got picked up at the stop by a nice lady going into Hamilton...Bermuda is a safe place , and nobody is trying to sell you anything, braid your hair or suck you in. The bonus was the just for laughs was held at the FSH that weekend and the show was fantastic.Not beach weather in Jan. but if you like to golf hassle free take your clubs and enjoy the many courses with very little traffic on them. Awesome beds too. Beach was cool but water was cold.

Room Tip: Great par 3 course , very challenging. Patty Harrington played it a couple of time on his visit as w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rye, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Overall, the property is a gem. The staff are super nice and go out of there way to be courteous and helpful. The concierge, nick the bellman and front desk staff were great!

That being said, we had numerous issues. At check-in, my mother arranged to have a gift card presented to my husband upon arrival as a surprise birthday gift. Unfortunately, I had to inquire about it. The manager was super apologetic and upgraded us for free to a harbor view room. they initially asked at check in if we wanted to pay $50 for such. As if the upgrade wasn't by itself enough, they they sent a 6 inch cake with Prosecco plus chocolate covered strawberries the room wishing him a happy birthday!

The room was nice; however, our room didn't have bathrobes and the heat didn't work. We never complained about the heat the first night as it wasn't too cold. The second night we were quite annoyed by our neighbors - the couple next door. Their tv was very loud. We could hear every phone conversation - i even heard their grand kid on the other end of the line. We were then awoken to their news program early in the Am. Apparently the connecting rooms cause this (at least that was the front desk's explanation). looking at the glass half filled - if you are traveling with kids and plan on using the connecting room feature, you will easily be able to keep tabs on your kids while maintaining some privacy.

I went down on day three and complained about the noise as the purpose of our trip was to get some rest as we have three young kids. The front desk was super nice and apologetic. She immediately gave me a new key and offered the bellman service. Since our tee time was approaching, she told us we could take the afternoon to switch our rooms. Again - super nice, but a pain to pack up and i can't understand why the hotel would put guests next to each other when the hotel was empty. The new room - two rooms down - nicer view -279 (old was 275) had bathrobes. However, heat didn't work, there was no down comforter on the bed and no privacy tag on front door.

At 4pm my husband mentioned the heat issue to the front desk. At 6pm the heat issue was still not addressed, my husband called the operator and was transferred to maintenance. When we returned from dinner at a little after 11pm, the carpet was soaked from the heater leaking through the vent. Who wants to deal with this at 11pm....,anyhow - maintenance returns again this time very quickly and resolved the problem. When we returned an hour later, it was fixed and we had heat!

Another quibble, on day 2, my mom's gift card did arrive however, they misaddressed the recipient of the card as they addressed it to me instead of my husband. They also miswrote the gift giver's name by incorporating the first part of my mom's last name with her street name. Really????

Nevertheless, The property is gorgeous - the shuttle service is great - highly recommend walk along horseshoe bay!

Restaurants - we had some solid meals. Ate at Waterlot (sticky date pudding and Caesar salad were amazing); Newport gastropub (shrimps were delicious along with spinach salad and seafood chowder); the breakfast buffet is good.

Golf - The three hole golf course was terrific. We also played Port Royal (highly recommend {$180 a round}and the cookies on course were awesome). The fairmount course is well kept but no water fillup on course but They did give u one complimentary btl of water. another annoyance Nobody cleaned clubs at the end at either course...for $89 a round for a par 3 - u expect this!

Gym - The fitness room was nice but I think it's offensive to charge $15 a day after charging $22 in resort fee. Gym access in my opinion is part of your fee for being a guest. i understand charging extra for classes (they offer yoga, pilates Tuesday thru saturday mornings for a $15 fee - the pool aqua class is complimentary), is understandable, however, gym access should be complimentary.

Pools - guests cannot access the indoor pool without incurring a $25 charge before 6:30. I think that's obnoxious in off season when you cannot use the outdoor pools.

Please note between room taxes and resort fees expect to pay $60 additional per night in mandatory fees (that's not counting gym or indoor pool).

Overall, I would return but the price would have to be right.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for writing us such a lengthy review. We really appreciate when guests can share with us areas to improve upon, and I assure you that your comments are taken seriously. We're glad that you found the staff to be friendly, and we agree, Nick at the front door is an amazing hotel ambassador.

We apologise that we had difficulties with presenting you the gift card, but are heartened to hear that our management team did try to make it up to you. We also apologise for the noisy neighbours, and malfunctioning heating system- we are glad it was ultimately fixed, but are sorry that it occurred.

It sounds like you were able to enjoy lots of the hotel's amenities and had a fabulous experience dining and golfing. We will pass your comments about the club-cleaning to our golf team. Both the Spa Pool & the Fitness Centre are part of the separate Willow Stream Spa. The Spa Pool is open to free guest use after 6:30 PM, once most of the Spa clients have left. Access to the Fitness Centre is complimentary for Fairmont President's Club Members, which is free to join.

Thanks again for sharing about your experience and giving us feedback on what we should work on!
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Wow! That is really all I can say... Wow! I had an absolutely amazing experience at the Fairmont Southampton. The hotel itself is stunning - a beautiful pink building with a gorgeous entryway that smells amazing. The lobby reminded me of an elegant cruise ship with flowers, wood accents, and a beautiful pastel pink and green color scheme. My room was absolutely amazing - gorgeous large balcony with a view of the golf course, ocean and lighthouse. The color schemes in the room suit the island perfectly, warm, happy and bright! The bathroom was luxurious and there was so much space. I especially liked the large closet to store my luggage in. The entire building is impeccably clean - a real attention to detail on the part of the room attendants that is second to none! There are many restaurants to choose from, serving whatever you are in the mood for and serving a great quality product. Amazing fitness facilities with lemon water, towels, headphones etc and a lovely view of the pool. The spa was divine, as were both the indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub. What a great variety of facilities to please everyone! The on site golf course was lovely as well - a very challenging par 3 course with stunning views (not to mention the awesome pink golf carts!!)
The hotel also features a private beach and tennis courts - the beach is well kept up with a cabana bar, dive shop, towels available, and great beach chairs. The one think we really appreciated was the shuttle service that takes you from the lobby either to the fine dining restaurant down the road (also conveniently right next to a bus stop), or to the beach and tennis facilities. What a time saver! There is also a ferry service that takes you into the town of Hamilton complimentary for hotel guests. Impressed by this hotel would be an understatment - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Bermuda!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here with my wife in October of 2012 for our 5th year anniversery. Was greeted upon check in with a bottle of champaigne in my room and chocolate covered strawberries. On day 2 a 5th year anniversery chocalate cake was left in my room. Staff at the hotel was great. room was spacious. Beach was awesome. Many places to eat at the hotel and all are very good. Great bar on site that keeps the Dark & Stormies coming and also offers a nice tea time option late afternoons. The hotel can be pricey but if you are looking for a special occasion this place is for you. Will surely return and might even splurge on the gold floor nexrt time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review of The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda. We appreciate when guests tell us about their special occasions in advance so that we are able to surprise & delight them. It sounds like our team was able to pamper you and your wife during your stay, which is wonderful! We look forward to hosting you both again, and thank you for taking the time to share about your wonderful experience.

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!