We had last been to this property (once called the Southhampton Princess) 3 decades ago. So it was with some trepidation that we returned for an anniversary vacation, not sure whether we would simply be mourning its past glory. Far from it -- we had a wonderful time, warmed by the unchanged hospitality of its Bermudian staff. And most of the traditions lived on, enhanced by a total upgrade of the hotel performed a few years ago. By sheer luck we discovered the President's Club Floor, with an upgrade we requested when it was on sale. THAT was a fabulous experience for sheer relaxation and casual socialization. Breakfast, tea, and hors d'oeuvres are all included and provided in an on-floor lounge with marvelous balcony tables. Exchange privileges with their sister hotel in Hamilton offered the same free private afternoon tea, etc., with this upgrade package.
Everyone from the shuttle drivers (to dock or beach) to the concierge were unfailingly helpful and friendly -- and the traditional Bermuda attire retained the full British formality.
Dinner at their seafront restaurant was a meal to remember for a lifetime, for the sunset view, the perfectly prepared fish, and the easy conversation with other terrace diners.
The only only disappointment was that the once-elegant Newport Room restaurant of our memories is now a pub-style -- reflecting the economic and style changes of the times.
We took the free ferry to Hamilton, and enjoyed the boatride, but the town was a huge disappointment. Gone was the elegance of Triminghams and other high-end stores, replaced by dismal shops and touristy souvenir places. Don't bother to even walk around, except to have lunch at a Yelp-recommended restaurant.
Bottom line -- after not going for decades we now want to make a JetBlue flight to Bermuda an annual decompression trip each year, to soak in the genuine hospitality and perfect elegance of this property.
And I haven't even mentioned the gorgeous executive-length golf course on the property. Short, but challenging, and with the full Atlantic before you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda is a luxury resort perched on Bermuda's stunning south shore with miles of pink sand beaches. Conveniently located in the mid-Atlantic, less than a two-hour flight from most east coast gateways, this hotel is perfect for getaways year-round. Sitting on nearly 100 gorgeous acres dotted with lush bougainvillea and towering coconut palms, The Fairmont Southampton is Bermuda's largest full-service luxury beach resort boasting 593 rooms and 6 floors with amazing views of ocean and sound. Unparalleled amenities are offered throughout the property. Spend your days relaxing at the resort pool, or pull up a chaise lounge at the sprawling private oceanfront beach club with Dive Centre, 11 tennis courts, jet ski rentals, and more. Unwind in the luxurious Willow Stream Spa with indoor spa pool & fitness facility, or tee off at the Turtle Hill Golf Club, an award-winning 18-hole par-three championship golf course. The Fairmont Southampton has dining covered for even the most discerning palates with an impressive range of restaurant options. Family-friendly, the hotel offers a kids camp for day & evening. Free round-trip ferry service is available to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, located in the island's downtown district. Guest rooms feature AC, 42" flat screen TV with multimedia panel, spacious work desk, 2 telephones with voicemail, dataport, Keurig coffeemaker, tea kettle, mini bar, large walk-in closet, iron & ironing board, personal digital safe, private bathroom, hairdryer & bathrobes, and WiFi Internet access is available (fee). The Fairmont Southampton is a AAA Four-Diamond award-winning resort. The Turtle Hill Golf Club was named one of the top 5 par-3 courses in the world by Golf Magazine. The Willow Stream Spa won the 2012 Conde Nast Readers Choice Award for best hotel spa in the Caribbean. In 2012, Conde Nast called The Fairmont Southampton one of the top hotels in the Atlantic & one of the best golf hotels in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Fairmont Southampton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Southampton Hotel Southampton
- Fairmont Southampton Bermuda
- Southampton Princess Bermuda
- Southampton Fairmont
- The Fairmont Southampton Bermuda/Southampton Parish