“Beautiful respite and views” 4 of 5 stars

The Fairmont Southampton
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   101 South Shore Rd, SN02, Bermuda   |
Hotel packages
New York City, New York
“Beautiful respite and views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went on a spur of the moment trip with a good friend down to Bermuda to celebrate my 40th birthday girls weekend style. We were so happy that the Fairmont was clearly going to be a real "get away from it all" sort of location. 4 days and 3 nights of mostly relaxation, taking advantage of a lot of the amenities and really just taking it easy.

Day 1 - arrived at the hotel at 5pm. Not much to do besides check in, unpack, and head to dinner. We went to the GastroPub - the lamb merguez burger was to die for. We wanted to just linger, the place was pretty empty as it was off-season and they didn't give us a hard time about sitting after the bill.

Day 2 - went for breakfast at Windows on the Water but there was a sign that it was moved to the downstairs restaurant, Crickets. No problem. They push the $29 buffet, but happily hand you the a la carte menu. I did not read it carefully enough and the math seemed to work out better for the buffet if I was going to have both coffee and juice. I figured out the next day from reading the fine print that there were breakfast "plans" that included the beverages and didn't entice me to overindulge in food. Then we decided to visit Hamilton via the free ferry shuttle. There are only 3 times available each way every day. We chose the 12:30pm shuttle over the 9am shuttle. Hopped on the free trolley to the ferry - that ride took about 1 minute. The ferry was quick (about 25 minutes) and gave a nice view of the waterfront en route. Best of all it's free and beats the estimated $50 roundtrip cab fare. You exit and walk through the sister property, Fairmont Hamilton. When you exit the hotel, it takes a couple of blocks to hit the main drag on Front Street but there are plenty of stores to choose from for your shopping pleasure. We didn't spend long shopping as we also had a tea reservation at the "Court" at the Hamilton Fairmont. Tea was delightful, despite being $32. Our server was lovely and just a delight to converse with. She even gave my friend a brand new pot of coffee when it got cold (she opted for coffee instead of tea at no extra charge). We tried both versions of the tea selections, one for each of us. Oh my - was THAT a lot of food after having the breakfast buffet! After we rolled ourselves outside, we grabbed the 6:30 ferry back to Southampton. The ride back was less delightful only because many nocturnal bugs made an appearance in, on, all around the open garbage container in the middle of the interior seating area. Definitely creeped us out. When you exit the ferry by Waterlot restaurant at night, the hotel has someone standing on the street with a large red light to stop traffic at the intersection so guests can cross to the waiting trolley. That is VERY nice. And unbelievable for this Native New Yorker! Once we got back to the hotel we decided to explore a little. The outdoor pool is quite nicely heated - I dipped my toes in. It was reassuring to see someone walking around to check the chemical levels in the pool and hot tub. Checked out the spa - nice but crazy high prices - over $50 for a mani? I don't think so! We realized there was an upper level of little shops, including a Longchamp store! (I looked online, the prices were the same as in the US - no bargains to be had other than saving sales tax) And then we wandered over to the indoor pool. We immediately decided to go back to the room and change into bathing suits. The indoor pool room and pool were so wonderfully warm! And relaxing! There's also another hot tub just immediately outside the pool area! We took advantage of that too. Then we just wanted a casual laid back light dinner, so we headed to Jasmine where we had some awesome homemade guacomole and I had a great salad. Our server was so much fun too! And the fireplace was lit which warmed us nicely.

Day 3 - had breakfast a la carte only. Much better deal financially. Made a reservation for a nice upscale dinner at Lido since Waterlot was booked solid. In fact, practically every restaurant you'd want to make a reservation at was booked, in Southampton and in Hamilton. The concierge was beyond helpful and patient as we perused the menus she had in a binder. She called every restaurant until we got one that worked for us. Then we hopped on the free trolley to the hotel's private beach. It's a small beach and I wouldn't want to be there in high season, but in off-season it was a good place to walk along the water and relax in the sun on a lounge chair for an hour or so. Dinner that night at Lido was simply marvelous and they included a birthday dessert gratis when my friend mentioned it was my birthday to the server. It was easy enough to catch a cab back to our hotel (approx $15-16 each way before tip) even though the Lido's hotel (Mandarin Oriental) was mostly closed for renovations.

Day 4 - Sunday Traditional Bermudan Breakfast Buffet at the hotel. My oh my!!! Scrumdeliocious! So many local flavors to choose from - cassava pie, turned cornmeal with okra, roti station, Portuguese donuts, Johnnycake, curry chicken, etc, yum yum yum. I ate until I couldn't anymore since we were leaving that afternoon and I knew the airline would starve us. I'm so glad I did as the offerings at the airport were subpar.

All in all we had such a delightful stay at the Fairmont Southampton. They do a gorgeous decorating job for Christmas. The only negative I can find about the stay is that as someone who pays attention to these things, I could see where they took shortcuts with their renovations in the early 2000s. But otherwise, the staff, the hotel, I can't say enough good things about them. They all have a commitment to the finest quality. Yes, the prices are outrageous. Yes, they tack on fees etc when you check out. But forewarned is forearmed. I'd stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: One of the managers said our room was his favorite line - we were in 412 - he said his favorite was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
Oxford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at verious hotels in and out of the country, however, this property is a very good location near the center of the island, making it easy to travel from the Dockyard or St. George with a stop in Hamilton if desired.. Each staff member were very knowledgable of their given area. They remembered our names during the entire stay and were very pleasent to work with while making reservations.

The grounds were well kept, and the holiday lights and declorations were in excellent taste.
The menus were filled with items for every taste-bud, and the hours were excellent.

Room Tip: 2nd room from corner great view of the ocean and golf course from the 4th floor, little noisy at ni...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our room was spacious, clean, nicely decorated and offered beautiful views of the harbor. There are many dining options onsite and there are other restaurants in close proximity with a short taxi or moped ride. They have a trolley shuttle to bring you down the hill to the gorgeous pink-sand beach as well as to the ferry if you want to explore downtown Hamilton. Don't miss the pools and spa!

Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Before going into the detail, I'd like to mention that I traveled all over the world and because of that my rating can be quite rough. Because we usually stay at the properties such as Four Seasons, St. Regis, or Ritz Carlton, I can say that I have a higher standard. Anyway, we stayed at The Fairmont Southampton on 11/29 and 11/30. We liked the property itself. It offered nice interior decoration and family friendly facilities/activities such as trolley ride or the private beach. Also the concierge Deanna was THE BEST CONCIERGE EVER! I was really impressed how pleasant she was and how professional she was. What I was disappointed was the overall management. First, our room air conditioning was broken, and did not heat up the room. The room without a/c was around 68F and it was too cold for us, especially having a 2 years old child. The maintenance guy came to our room twice and checked the A/C, and finally told us it could not be fixed. We were waiting for the Frond Desk or the manager to call us, however we did not receive any phone call after half an hour of waiting. We had to call them to arrange the room change which we believe they should have offered immediately after they found the issue. The room we were told to move was in the same category which was also slightly disappointing considering the fact that it was almost 9 pm and we had to wait for over 1 hour in total. We had to push back our child's bed time (big issue for a family with a toddler!). Second, the room especially the bath room area was not clean enough. When we filled up the bath tub for our child, I saw several dust and other gross things floating around. The sink clogged as well which was quite disgusting. I think house keeping department management was poor. Third, when we were at the beach, I found many broken plastics in the sand. They were sharp enough to cut your feet, and I got quite scared to think if our child got injured on the feet. Although it was low season, the hotel should clean the beach everyday and make sure it is safe to walk around. Overall, I feel individual hotel employees were nice and trying their best, so I really do not want to blame any one of them. I just think management needs to improve. I may stay at this hotel again just because it's very family friendly, however I will probably try some other properties if we ever go back to Bermuda.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the harbor, and had a very pretty night view with lights on houses. Definitely h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very nice hotel. Impressive views. Great Concierge. Excellent, but very expensive, restaurant.
My wife and I were ther for our 40th. The staff could not have been nicer. We had dinner one night at the Waterlot Inn which is associated with the Hotel. Food was great and the service was perfect. Restaurant is expensive but then again, so are most of the restaurants in Bermuda.

Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property over the Thanksgiving holiday and overall it was a positive experience. We had been to Bermuda a few other times and wanted to stay at this property. We booked on a Travelzoo deal and had a favorable room rate that included breakfast. The service at this resort is top notch. While there were certainly a significant number of fees attached to the room rate for gratuities and local and country tourist taxes, it was an excellent stay. Our room was lovely, the service was outstanding and the experience overall was excellent It was not an inexpensive hotel but everything was excellent. The staff at this hotel was excellent and very friendly. The food and beverage was very good - beach was beautiful, par three golf course was a lot of fun. Highly recommended for a trip to Bermuda.

ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed over a long weekend in November. It's the shoulder season in Bermuda so a few of the restaurants were closed but overall the food quality was still excellent. Pool and beach were amazing...although sadly there's lots of "junk" that seems to wash up. Weather was perfect...

Overall I would highly recommend this as a family getaway. Oh ...and. For golfers...not me but the course looked amazing.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view. We loved the balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!