“First Trip to Bermuda” 5 of 5 stars

20% off & $200 Credit
Wilmington, Delaware
“First Trip to Bermuda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I decided to take my wife to Bermuda for our anniversary. We only went for 3 days, and 2 nights, in the end of September (Perfect weather, 80 degrees and sunny). It was hard to make decisions on where to go and where to stay based on all the reviews we read. If you have never been to Bermuda, there is one specific thing you should know. It is expensive! Food, taxis, hotels, drinks, shopping, all expensive. We didn't realize till after we got back that MOST bad reviews were people complaining about money. I booked the Fairmont Southampton, with a regular room. A couple weeks later I upgraded to a beach view, and then a couple of weeks later I upgraded to the top floor beach view. The top floor has all its own amenities, it's considered "gold member" or "gold status". It was only a small increase in price and is DEFINITELY worth it. Top floor has a private concierge for check in, free tea and coffee, snacks, breakfast, fruit, drinks, and even lunch if you just want a small sandwich. It pays for itself, and was extremely convenient to have by our room. There was a lounge, and outside patio, and it included free WiFi. There was a nice outdoor pool that we used, and an indoor pool that is only available to the spa during the day, then to guest later in the day.... I want to say around 6 PM. There were about 4 restaurants attached to the hotel, but we decided to go out and eat elsewhere in our short stay to see as much of the island as possible. The Waterlot Inn is a very highly rated restaurant attached to the hotel for fine dining. The hotel has a private beach that shuttles run to and from continuously, about a 2 minute ride each way. The beach was great, stocked with towels, chairs, and umbrellas. There was a restaurant there to get lunch and drinks, as well as staff on the beach to order drinks from. There is a gate on the edge of the property to walk through, and down a sandy path to Horseshoe Bay Beach, Go There!!! 2 minute walk, with the most incredible beaches and coves we have ever seen. This is where we spent the majority of our time. There is shopping on the first and second floor of the lobby, I bought a new tie for dinner, and some souvenirs to take home. There is a golf course on the property, although I do not play golf, it's my understanding that it is a par 3 course, not a regular course. Our room was great with a great view. Ocean side = sunrises, Bay side = sunsets. Bathroom was great, with separate room for shower and toilet. It made getting ready much easier. Our balcony had a great view of Horseshoe Bay. We loved the hotel, the beach and the people here. We haven't stayed anywhere else in Bermuda, but we have traveled a lot. We highly recommend this hotel, and highly recommend Bermuda.

Room Tip: Sixth floor is where you want to be, has all views and amenities.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1,891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed elsewhere in Bermuda at the start of our family vacation in August, unfortunately. Moving to the Fairmont Southampton saved it. It was clean which is incredibly important in a tropical climate. The staff were friendly and professional. The trolley was convenient to the beach which is across the road. We went early in the am each day and had front row lounge chairs. One night we couldn't get through to Bacci for take away so when we trooped over - the staff were very accommodating and filled our order asap. We could see why they couldn't get to the phone .. The place was jammed still at 9 pm. The boys raved about the food ..it was very good. Like others, would recommend joining the president circle. We had two rooms just two over, they couldn't give us adjoining ..same code can be used for all of your wireless internet access which is complimentary. Look for their Bermuda pink sale. Giving this place a good rating even though the last night we could hear the couple screaming at each other between our Rooms threatening violence - the walls are very thin - luckily the kids didn't awaken. We had to call security (three large men came to knock on their room) .. The hotel can't screen for crazy guests but dealt with this effectively.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Staying in this hotel is as close as you can get to being back in a more grand time and place in the islands. Its marble and wood are sturdy and you feel as if it was made centuries ago. I almost wanted to put on a gown and get my parasol.

The food all over the island is eclectic because the chefs are from all over the world. Order the onion rings!!! But here in the hotel, you can get a sampling of the best from all over. The Newport has a poutine that made me glad I ditched the diet for the day. The Serious Burger is just that!! Very SERIOUS.

My favorite part of the hotel, well there were two. The Cellar Nightclub was fantastic and we had a great time mingling with locals and other guests. My boyfriend, not a club-goer, was even having a good night. 2nd spot was the pool in the Spa. Open for general admission after 6PM, this pool was romantic and lovely after a long day of sight seeing. There are two hot tubs and a gorgeous view of the ocean if the moon is full. Take a cocktail and have some private spa time. Speaking of which...

This Spa is incredible!!! Expensive to those of us that vacation with a budget but I have to say, I will add this in if we return to Bermuda. I took a tour and it was gorgeous and I'm very intrigued by the couples service they offer called the Ritual for Two. Its sounds like a years worth of couples counselling in a condensed amount of time.

The trolley cars that take you around the property are charming and always there when you need them. Beach Club is nice and right next to one of the most famous Bermudian beaches, Horseshoe Bay. Best of both private and public worlds there. But I do recommend renting a scooter to venture out to your own private cove beach that you can find anywhere along South Road.

Worth the stay and I had a great time. Long live the Dark & Stormy!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Since I noticed that my only two reviews have been negative, I thought I should point out that I DO enjoy certain vacation spots ;) And Bermuda was one of them! The hotel was wonderful, the bus system to the beach was excellent, the private beach does get crowded but a short walk away is Horseshoe Bay, the most breathtaking beach I have ever been on. I want to go back to Bermuda again and again! If you haven't been to Bermuda you have to experience it at least once. The people are friendly, the Island is gorgeous, and it keeps its charm despite being such a tourist attraction. LOVED Bermuda!

Room Tip: You do have to pay extra for a good view however keep in mind that most of those rooms with a good v...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

perfect, beautiful!!!
worth spending money at!!! nice staff, greet you well and very nice food. the beds were nice and the room was all over nice and clean :) the views from some of the rooms are splendid.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a short, 2-night business trip. Granted, I was not thrilled with the travel to and from Los Angeles for a 7 1/2 hour meeting, but staying at such a well-done hotel in a place as beautiful as Bermuda helped make up for the long days of travel.
Overall, the 4-star rating is not due to any service deficiencies as I found everybody I encountered on the staff to be friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help. The inability to give 5 stars is largely due to the physical condition of the rooms. I had a lovely room with a good sized balcony that had a view of the water and I was not charged any extra money. I don't know if it was technically the "water view" room, but I could clearly see the Atlantic looking straight out from the balcony.
The problems were with noticeable wear and tear. For example, the carpet had a number of stains on it, the paint was chipping in numerous places around the walls, the desk chair had some stains on it as did the window curtains. I realize that the peak travel season takes a toll on rooms, but there should be checks in place to ensure that worn items are replaced when wear and tear becomes apparent.
On a positive note, the bed was extremely comfortable, but the pillows were not (I found all of them too soft). The bathroom was large with two sinks and excellent bath products, but the shower did not have a curved shower rod so the curtain had a tendency to get a little too close while showering. So for everything positive about the room, there was something a little negative.
Additionally, when I first arrived in my room, the family next door was so loud that I could hear every word of their conversations through the cracks in the adjoining door. Thankfully, they checked out and I don't think anybody else check in next door during my stay, but I can imagine the noise being a problem with loud individuals next door in an adjoining room.
The property itself is outstanding. While I did not have a chance to enjoy the pool, I did enjoy lunch one day and drink both evening in the Jasmine lounge. The live entertainment was nice in an elevator music kind of way. It was not so loud to prevent holding a simultaneous conversation. The bartenders were friendly and offered drink suggestions - I recommend the "Planter's Punch."
I did have the opportunity to take the ferry over to Hamilton and that was enjoyable; however, due to the limited schedule I had to take a public bus back. The front desk was helpful with bus directions and even sell the tokens needed. While I felt safe riding the bus, the bus terminal in Hamilton does attract some more unsavory characters so I wouldn't show off expensive jewelry or watches while waiting or riding the bus.
As others have mentioned, the private beach is gorgeous, especially at sunset and the hotel trolley that runs back and forth is easy. This was the off-season so the beach was empty, but I can imagine it being happening when the beach club and rental places are open.
I had dinner at the Waterlot Inn as well one evening. After hearing how amazing the steaks are, I may have been expecting too much because I was not impressed. Even at medium, the steak was not as juicy as it should have been. This is compared to steakhouses like Gibson's in Chicago and Peter Luger's in New York City. It is definitely not at that level, but all in all, it was a decent meal.The side dishes were especially good as were the desserts.
If I were to travel to Bermuda on pleasure, I would consider staying again, but at the end of the day living in California I am much more of a Hawaii person.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Holmdel, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Fairmont Southampton is a beautiful hotel that overlooks the golf course as well as the ocean. The hotel sits on top of a large hill, but has trolley buses to shuttle you to where you want to go. There is a ferry that will take you to the sister hotel, Fairmont Princess, in Hamilton. You also have to take the trolley to the beach, but once there it has lovely amenities. ( casual beach dinning, bathrooms/showers and lockers, a couple of stores, and water activities as well as a more formal restaurant for night). The only problem I have with this hotel is that you really can't walk anywhere. The sister hotel allows you to walk into town, whenever you desire, which is something I like to do while on vacation. The hotel is beautiful and the island is amazing, if you like to golf, this course will put your skills to the test. The course is a Par 3 but challenging all the same, with lots of hills and hazards.

Room Tip: We had a room that adjoined to another and you could hear the people next door. Not sure if it was b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!