“Like a cruise ship on land” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
3rd Night Free
San Francisco, California, United States
“Like a cruise ship on land”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at the Fairmont Southhampton late June 2012 for 3 nights with 2 children. We had a excellent check-in on the VIP level and the staff is super friendly and accommodating. The hotel is older and personally a bit to big for our tastes, the hotel was packed with families and people attending large seminars etc... This is the biggest hotel on the island thus its not unusual to have large groups staying here. Its slightly inconvenient to go to the beach for you need to take a short shuttle ride ... waiting in lines both directions.... If you have kids this place is great , the kids club goes from early morning to late , if leaving your kids suits your vacations plans. The property is about $50 taxi from the airport and unless you take the bus the property is far from both the DOCKS and HAMILTON as well as $70 to St George so the bus is a great option here. Also the hotel has a free ferry to HAMILTON as well which is really great. Food was very good and the club floor was a nice upgrade for the daily deserts and lite snacks.... plus a private check-in was fast and friendly. Overall the price for the room was really high even with a group discount. If you like large hotels and vacationing like your on a cruise ship this place is for you.... most of the guests seem like the would be at home on a large cruise ship....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
West Friendship, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The resort was nice but it did not meet my expectations for the price of my stay! We have stayed in many luxury resorts and this by far was average to sub par! The Fairmont is a beautiful hotel and property! The room was lovely and very spacious! The walk in closet and the bathroom was great! The hotel caters to the large conference attendees and could care less about me, the small family! The complimentary trolley to the beach and the Waterlot area was wonderful and the wait time for it was very minimal. I was not a big fan of getting on the hot, non air conditioned trolley in dress clothes to go the dinner in the evening! The hotel staff was average! I give this rating because it depends on who you talked to. I ordered a refrigerator prior to my stay so that I could keep medication I needed to take cold. Upon my arrival I was told that I would be on the waiting list for a refrigerator. Eventually, my husband got the key to the minibar in the room and was told we could use that to keep my medication cool. It seemed to be a hassle for the staff, however. Why ask me what else I needed for my stay prior to my arrival if you are not able to accommodate me. Some of the staff was wonderful and some less than adequate. There were several times that the the hotel staff was rude and inappropriate! The concierge was average! Many of them were not very helpful for me as the first time visitor of Bermuda! I had to know exactly what questions to ask and I was never given additional information that would be helpful for me to know. I had to ask for maps of the property and the island. This should be given right away without us having to ask! In fact, we purchased public bus fair and the concierge actually charged us the incorrect amount. It seems to me that they should be well versed in this area seeing that it is one of the major ways to get around! The food in every restaurant was excellent, however the wait staff was hit or miss. Sometimes we had an excellent waiter or waitress and sometimes we had someone who barely attended to us. Twice we had two different experiences where when we ordered a hot dog at lunch we received a hamburger and another time we ordered chips and salsa and received potato chips with salsa not tortilla chips. When the hamburger arrived, we stated that we ordered a hot dog and the waitress began to argue with us! A Language issue! Most of the wait staff were not Bermudians! The drinks are small and extremely expensive and if you are traveling with children you may want to plan to shop for snacks or bring your own! The property does not have family friendly snacks for children on menus or in the shops. The happy hour advertised is a rip off! (Plain and simple) They post huge signs around the property advertising a 2 for 1 Happy Hour at the beach. There were only two drinks and 2 types of beer on the limited happy hour menu. My husband wanted a beer and I wanted a mixed drink. We were not able to share the 2 for 1. I did not want to order 2 drinks at one time because with the heat and humidity my second drink would have been spoiled by the time I got around to drinking it. This was really very petty and showed me that my business is not appreciated. We didn't even bother to partake in Happy Hour. Water is not plentiful either unless you are comfortable drinking from a paper dixie cup at the beach. The staff does not want to give you a large cup of ice water either. We ordered lunch and drinks and asked for water and we were told that we were not allowed to have water. The pool was nice however the first few days towels were hard to come by and they were not pool towels but rather small bath sized towels! On our fourth day of our 7 day stay we were able to get large lounge chair towels! The lounge chairs at the pool were comfortable but stained and unattractive. The beach is beautiful and the water and sand lovely! The beach however, is dirty with seaweed. The beach is not groomed each day like most beaches in a luxury resort. The staff working at the beach does not assist you with chairs but they do stand around and talk to one another a lot. Each day I had to lift my own beach lounge chair. There are plenty of tables but they are dirty with someone's leftover food on them. It is clear that they are not wiped down each day! If you order food or drink from your beach chair be prepared to wait a long time and when your drink arrives it is sweating and somewhat warm. Then you are charged the high price for it and the 17% gratuity. We purchased a jet ski excursion through the hotel and sold on the idea when we were told that we would go to a ship wreck, snorkel and cliff jump. We scheduled the tour only to find that the ship wreck was placed there and isn't really a ship wreck. We did not go cliff jumping either! The tour guide did not really talk to us other than instruct us to use the jet ski appropriately. This was not a tour so if you do this excursion be prepared! I would return to Bermuda but would not stay at the Fairmont South Hampton as it is not a luxury hotel but rather an average accommodation charging luxury prices.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Carlita L, Internet Marketing Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for providing this extensive review. We are heartened to hear that you found the property beautiful and that the rooms were spacious and well-appointed. We do not, however, value one guest over another and certainly always attempt to provide exceptional service. We apologise that you encountered service anomalies during your stay. We will attempt to address some of your concerns in this review. There are children’s lifestyle cuisine menus in every outlet, offering healthy options for children. Our 2-for-1 drink specials are on the same type of beverage. Water is willingly served in every outlet, especially on the beach where we recognize that it can get very warm. We have listened to guests like yourself and have increased our staffing on the beach and the frequency of cleaning. The Concierge does their best to provide information as they understand it on tour services that local vendors offer. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss which jet ski package you booked, so that we can ensure we are fully briefed on what it provides and whether we should recommend it, feel free to send me a message to carlita.lodge@fairmont.com. We hope that you will reconsider your position and stay with us again at The Fairmont Southampton.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We plan to return soon! There were no huge groups there so we didn't have to deal with that State Farm stuff. Hotel was large but it didn't feel that way. Food not cheap but very much worth it. Great hotel

• Stayed July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

A full summary of this hotel is below. For those that don't want to read the details, let me sum up by saying that this resort did not live up to expectations for a Fairmont at all. The service was very very poor. The entire staff needs to be retrained. And they need to fix some major things about the hotel for them to justify the prices they do. This hotel caters to groups (State Farm, Coldwell Banker, etc) and in doing so could care less about the non-group guest. Read it and weep.

Check-in:
+ Pretty fast and easy.
- When we got to our room, it smelled of horrible body odor. We immediately called the front desk, and they moved us to a new room. So I appreciate the hotel fixing the issue, but how could house keeping not have picked up that smell? Even the bellman was like, "it smells awful in here" when he showed up.

Rooms:
+Rooms are large, and beds are comfortable. Nice big closet and good size bathrooms. Balconies are a nice touch.
- Chairs on balconies are metal and HARD. Would it kill them to put nicer furniture that isn't rusted and is more comfortable? But the biggest negative about the rooms is the noise. You can hear EVERYTHING from room to room. Basic talking between guest is picked up from room to room. And you can hear loud footsteps from the rooms above. We had to sleep with ear plugs in every night do to the noise. I have never stayed at a resort where the walls were so thin. It was like a holiday inn.

Location:
+In a nice part of the island and easily can get to other cities by cab or take their complimentary ferry to Hamilton.
- not directly on the beach. Normally would not be a big deal since they have a free shuttle which runs every few minutes. However the shuttle is NOT air conditioned. It's an old trolley with tiny windows. Why can't they get an AC bus or a trolley that is completely open air? It's like stepping into a cattle car each time. And you need the trolly to get to some of the restaurants. Who wants to get on a 100 degree trolley in nice clothes to sweat it out?

Pool:
- Nothing good to say here. It's small and barely fits 50 people pool side. More like the pool you'd find at a holiday inn instead of a resort. And there is no view from it. The resort has the space to build a huge pool, why not do so?

Beach:
+ Water is stunning, and sand is perfect. Big private beach just for hotel guest. However...
- The beach cannot accomodate the guest from the two Fairmonts. It's wall to wall people like spring break on top of each other. And there is NO ONE to help set up chairs, they demand you return towels (because there is no service) and they have 2 (maybe 3) women to do food and drink service for the whole beach. Basically you are on your own to get a drink, and when you go to the bar yourself, they will still charge you gratuity.

Restaurants:
+lots of choices, and all good. We ate twice at Bacci, twice at Jasmines and also at the casual restaurants for lunch. Food was good all the way around so no complaints here. Just make reservations ahead of time. Oh, and avoid the breakfast buffet (story below).

Concierge:
+ Helpful. Not issues here.
- There are brochures showing the week's activities at the concierge. Why not put them in the room? We didn't get one until half way through our trip.
Service:
- This is where the hotel goes BAD. Below are a few examples of poor service:
1. On the beach we flagged down a worker to get us a drink after waiting for an hour for someone to come by. She goes "I was supposed to be off duty 20 minutes ago" and walks away. Really Fairmont?
2. The beach bar has 2 for 1 drink specials unitl 6 pm. We get to the bar at 5:57 to get a water and a soda. Before we can say anything the bartender screams "3 minutes left!". We were so shocked, then the other bartender goes, "Now only 2 minutes! You better hurry!". How about training your workers to say "Can I help you?"
3. At breakfast there was a small line. The workers come out and scream to those of us in line, "There are no more 2 and 4 person tables. Anyone who wants to sit at tables of 8 and 10 together come with me". Um, no! I do not want to sit with strangers on my vacation. Then we walk in, and there are tons of 2 person tables! When we left the restaurant there was a line about 50 people deep, yet all these open tables inside. And you HAVE to choose the breakfast buffet and can't order off the menu. Yet they will still charge you 17% gratuity for a buffet.
4. They have coffer and bakery items in the bar area each morning. So for $3.50 my husband got a coffee (can't put coffee out for free for guest??). I asked for a water. The bartender goes "sorry, I don't have water". I say "you're a bar, how can you not have water?". Claims he is "out of water" and then 5 mins later I see him handing another guest a bottle of water.

Overall, the GM should retrain his staff top to bottom on what it means to be a luxury resort. They need to hire a lot more people to man the restaurants and beach area. And they need to switch out trolley's for buses with AC. Until these things are fixed, I would not recommend going here. Go to elbow beach or Tuckers if you can afford it. Both looked a lot better. Save this hotel for the groups.

Room Tip: If you can snag it, get on the Gold floor where they have free snacks and drinks. And sign up for th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We must note, however, that we do not value the patronage of one guest over another, and attempt to provide good service to all guests. We apologise if the service you received was not up-to-par. The large groups that you reference have departed, but we apologise if they negatively impacted your experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and found it to be largely well-appointed. Our Resort Pool overlooks the ocean. We have heeded the advice of guests like yourself, and have hired more staff to handle the demands on the beach. We apologise if you did not enjoy your time there and are actively investigating the rude demeanor of the colleague you encountered. We are also happy to hear that the food you enjoyed was exceptional. The menu at Windows is always offered, alongside the buffet- we apologise if this was not made clear to you. Thank you again for your contributions, although we hope that we can change your mind on a future stay in Bermuda.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Don't get me wrong, it was a fabulous holiday and a decent hotel in need of some serious modernisation. The rooms and bathrooms are a tad dated to say the least and the service was not always as sharp as you'd expect! However, the food was incredible, as were the drinks and the shuttle service to the beach and close by harbour was an excellent addition. The sea and the beach were perfect for a swim with the fish and a walk in the next door bay is a must! I'd definitely return to Bermuda, but perhaps not this hotel - until they modernise it a little!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed on the 6th "Gold" floor and it was worth every extra penny, with a nice common dining area looking out to the harbor, essentially an open beverage cooler all day long (try the Ginger beer), giant breakfast, afternoon teas, evening treats, decent dedicated concierge service, etc.

The last of the several weeks worth of State Farm star producers were at the hotel during our stay. That meant several hundred very happy fellow guests enjoying a free trip to Bermuda, and better yet, more frequent beach shuttles, which was great. When the State Farmers left, we had to tolerate 10 minute waits instead of 2 minutes -- tough life!

The private beach is nice and has chairs, towels, a dive shop and the always welcome snack shack with cold cocktails and even some live music late afternoons. Horseshoe bay with its great waves is just a few steps away, and the free Fairmont ferry ride to Hamilton is fun and refreshing and perhaps the only free form of transport anywhere on the island.

There's the obligatory golf and tennis and spa, and the on site cycle shop rents scooters, but only after you demonstrate to Rudy that you are a reasonably competent driver, which is actually reassuring.

If you enjoy the look and feel of a mega-resort with all amenities, the Fairmont Southhampton will not disappoint, especially if you spring for the Gold floor. Our rate was far lower than Reefs or Rosewood too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Often here on , unfortunately, too short , business trips, and felt it was time to put fingers to keyboard ! This is a charming hotel, living up well to the Fairmont brand, with excellent standards, good food, and an attentive staff. But what sets this one apart from other chain competitors, is, although it functions perfectly well for all your business needs, it would also be a good place for a couples or family break, being a good base to explore the island.rooms are well equipped and spacious, with none of the annoying traits of inoperative facilities, so often found for the frequent traveller. Nice ambience, in well maintained pleasant surroundings.

Room Tip: Corner rooms, for large terrace with great views !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!