“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently went to the Waterlot Inn and were quite impressed by the food and service. Reservations are a must but they usually don't open before 3pm so you have to call usually in the late afternoon. First time we tried, we couldn't get the same day dinner reservations.

Dress code in the summer is shirt and slacks for men with closed toe shoes and I believe during other parts of the year blazers and jackets are encouraged.

A few members of the party ordered the caesar salad for which the dressing was made at the table side from scratch and mixed by hand. Many people ordered this as we saw this show repeated a number of times in the evening. The salad was delicious, the other appetizers were also wonderful (stuffed mushrooms with lobster and oysters). For entrees my husband ordered the Filet mignon rossini which was heavy but delicious with a dark madera wine sauce. I tried their trio of meats including wagyu and have to say while it was good did not blow me away (I think anytime you put another cut of beef next to wagyu it undercuts the taste). The fish was superb per the guests who tried that plate.

The desserts were ridiculously big. Luckily I spied a few plates going out prior to ordering and we shared one desert amongst four people which still was a challenge but unless you have a bottomless stomach, don't expect to finish the large portion. The mud pie was essentially over a pound of what tasted like chocolate truffle with tons of whipped cream on top. It was decadent, a little much after the dinner we had already had.

The staff was super friendly and accommodating. We had a great time and the food was terrific. 4.5 stars.

Visited June 2013

York, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Overall this was a disappointing experience for both my wife and myself. We are a young couple (28/32) and we went to the Waterlot Inn for a romantic dinner while staying at the Fairmont Southampton.

I will rate this on three categories;

Service: For us it was pretty bad. We felt that the staff was on the verge of being rude. We did not feel comfortable in the environment from the moment we sat down. The waiter and support staff we not accommodating and were slow to provide any service other than taking our order. We felt rushed throughout out whole meal - so much so we didn't enjoy our meal. I expected a friendly staff that would be over-the-top in professionalism and courtesy, while providing excellent service - what we received was far from it.

Food: Was OK, nothing great - I would say mediocre. We had scallops and the local fish. The scallops were good but the local fish (I believe it was Rock fish) was not great. It was bland and just not tasty. The portions were very small for the price, but I guess that is to be expected.

Atmosphere: The actual building and location was nice. There was a nice seating area on the water which was nice. Restaurant was clean, a bit cramped in the dining area - but not too bad. But if you think about atmosphere in its entirety (staff/interactions/etc) it was a bad experience.

Overall I would not recommend this place. The food was OK, but disappointing for the price. But the real killer was the customer service and staff.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southern California
“Get the Sticky Toffee Pudding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Unfortunately we ate in the bar. Don't do that. They really don't serve there, so with that in mind the rating could be better.
Service was unacceptably slow. We had a waiter assigned to us, however, we had to ask the bartender for everything.
The food was delicious once it finally came.
The best thing by far was the Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Service of 17% is automatically included. We asked to have it removed so that we could tip what we thought was appropriate due to our poor service. The manager was gracious enough to do so.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Delaware, USA
“Wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great experience at the Waterlot. We shared the escargot app and it was perfection. Hubby had the lamb chops and I had the salmon. Both were excellent. Service was very prompt and cordial. Extensive wine list presented on an Ipad. Would highly recommend.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went to this restaurant to celebrate my daughter's birthday- we requested items which were not on the menu because my daughter likes them. They made an extra effort to serve everything we requested. Great service. Memorable dinner.

Visited February 2013