“Quiet, clean, and what a view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mazarine by the Sea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pembroke Parish
Mazarine by the Sea
You added Mazarine by the Sea to your Saves list
91 North Shore Rd, Bermuda   |
Atlanta, GA
“Quiet, clean, and what a view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We loved our stay at Mazarine. The room was immaculately clean, and the 180 deg. ocean view was amazing. The reef below the pool was one of the nicer I saw on the island, as the corals were diverse and intact, not having the wear and tear of the reefs along the tourist beaches. Check in/check out through our taxi driver was very simple. We had no contact whatsoever with the owner while we were there or after we left, but we are pretty self-sufficient, and we were able to figure things out on our own. The ONLY down-side I encountered was that the fridge was old and had that constant annoying hum that took a few days to get used to. The tv also seemed old/cheap and even when muted had loud static. I probably wouldn't have noticed either appliance if we hadn't been stuck inside for two days while a tropical storm dumped rain but it got old quickly. Mazarine is on a major bus route, and very convenient for travel. The corner store everyone mentions is a joke and severely overpriced. It would be worth your time&money to arrange for the driver to stop off at The Market Place (a chain of grocery stores with some of the more reasonable prices on the island) on the way from the airport or visit the location down in Hamilton. I cannot wait to go back and hope to stay at Mazarine again. It really was fabulous.

Room Tip: #4 and 5 have the best views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I came to Bermuda for the first time at the end of April, 2011 to celebrate our "babymoon" (last vacation before having our first child). We concluded after one day that Mazarine by the Sea absolutely MUST be the best place to stay on the whole island. First, the location is great. While it is not on the south shore close to most of the more popular beaches, it is SO close to Hamilton, the capital. Also, it is basically at the midpoint between the two ends of the island, so it actually is ideal for folks who want to see the whole island. Secondly, the view from each room is absolutely beautiful. Just being able to look out the window and see sparkling blue water is tremendously fulfilling. It is a dream to swim in their pool right on a cliff overlooking that water. The water was still pretty cold in April, but we could not resist the deep water snorkeling right off the shore that is accessible from the rooms! it was AMAZING!!
This little jewel is secluded and quiet, easily accessible, and absolutely gorgeous. The facilities are kept extremely clean and neat, and having the kitchenette available to us was great. We made most of our meals in, allowing us to save quite a good bit of money. The price was one of the least expensive on the island. One of the reasons we chose Mazarine was that Rhonda, the owner, extended the off-season rates a month longer than any other place.
Last, the best part about the resort is that it is family oriented. Delia, the facilities manager, took such good care of us. She spent time chatting with us every day, while also keeping our room sparkling clean! Rhonda, the owner, was also so kind and prompt with any request or question we had. We actually had a mishap and ended up in the emergency department on the day we were to leave, and Rhonda was quick to open up the room for us for an extra night. When she heard about our problem, she actually called the Emergency Department to make sure we were ok. There is definitely a small, family feel at this place. Also, the folks who took us to and from the airport were punctual and friendly.
In short, this was a wonderful place to stay, and we cannot recommend it highly enough. We would never stay anywhere else. It would be great for single folks, couples, and families.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Mazarine by the Sea is not fancy, but it has everything you need. It’s an easy walk into Hamilton and the bus stop into Hamilton and on toward St. George is down the road and around the corner. Each room could benefit with a room safe, there didn’t appear to be one.

Rooms have old school style keys with two locks: a deadbolt and a passage lock at the bottom. I managed to lock myself out on one instance. Rhonda was very accommodating and sent someone to let me in. That’s the kind of sweet, kind understanding service at this facility.

The pool probably needs more regular pool cleaning since birds tend to frequent the pool. Overall, the guest apartments have incredible views. Room 4 is an ocean view, and well equipped in the main building. Room 7 is also ocean view, but a bungalow - separate cottage - a dream setting with a walk out to private garden. Room 7 has more up to date decorating and is very comfortable. The number of guests are few even though the apartments were sold out during my stay. Guests all seemed quite appropriate and even with the place being sold out, it would seem as though you have the place to yourself. From a housekeeping perspective, the place could use a more extensive cleaning in the baths.

Rhonda is very accommodating and considerate. All facilities were in good repair in these small studio apartments. There was no evidence of wifi or internet, which was a negative. All of the furnishings could use an update, but that’s not really a requirement. Both of my rooms had a phone in the room, but no phone number. There were references to a ‘blue book’, I never saw one; I suspect this book had good information.

Overall, Mazarine by the Sea was an affordable and good location for a low key getaway to Bermuda.

Room Tip: Try for room 7, the bungalow.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Overall we had a great stay at Mazarine by the Sea.

The location of this property is on the coast, which makes for a nice view but it isn't really close to much else. It is in a residential area near Hamilton. If you want to be able to just throw on your bathing suit and walk to the beaches this is not the place for you.

Renting mopeds to get around is must in my eyes! The location of this guest house is in a residential area, not in walking distance of any beaches. So to get anywhere you either have to call a cab (which will get expensive if its your main mode of transportation), take the bus (which can be a pain), rent mopeds (very cost effective and super fun) or walk (we walked to Hamilton many times and it's not bad, just not well lit at night).

The great things about Mazarine by the Sea are the quaint feel, full kitchen to help you save money on eating out, the price, the selection of television channels and the view.

The bad things about this property are the construction next door, no internet connection (when it says there is in the Bermuda guide books), roaches crawling around at night (mostly outside) and location in relation to sightseeing & beaches.

Don't expect a luxury stay but expect to get what you pay for. It is a perfect place to rest your head at night.

We didn't spend too much time in the room anyway. There is so much to do and see!

Room Tip: Get one facing the ocean, it's a bit more but worth the money. If I stay there again I will make...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Pros: Mazarine is in an excellent location - you'll avoid the tourist traffic on the south shore and can easily get into Hamilton. Rates are reasonable. The view is gorgeous.

Cons: As was mentioned in the last review, the lack of any form of on-site staffing makes the service at the Mazarine very sub-standard. We rented multiple rooms with differing check out dates and found a total lack of communication about the procedure to check out of rooms (the maid told us to hold the key, but the owner of the property tried to charge us for an extra night).

There was a large cockroach in one of our rooms one night (there are a number of critters that live outside, I think this one came in through an open door) - there was no way for us to get help in removing it. Instead we had to use one of the pots in the kitchen to capture it. Our daughter couldn't sleep all night after seeing the thing.

The Mazarine has great potential, but we found the staff's lack of availability to deal with any issues (and generally laissez faire attitude towards its guests) off-putting and far below the very high standards for customer service that we are used to in Bermuda. We will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at Mazarine by the Sea for 7 nights. We rented rooms 5 and 1. The view is wonderful and the staff is friendly. The beds are comfortable and we walked daily into Hamilton to catch a bus to the beach. The walk to the bus terminal was about 20 minutes. Don’t pay the bus fare with coins or tokens. You can buy a sheet of bus tickets at the terminal called the 15 pack- 3 zone pass, and the cost per ride ends up being a bit over a dollar each way to the beach, rather than $3 each way. We had problems with the A/C in room 5, and it did not get fixed until sometime on day four of our stay. We mentioned it to the maid shortly after checking in on Saturday at noon, and were told it could not be checked until Monday. Monday was a holiday and when we got home from the beach it was still warm in the room. Our room was never under 78 until we came home from the beach on Tuesday. Because we rented two rooms we think the second room helped keep our room temp at 78. On our last two nights we also had problems with a group of 7 to 10 men who rented 3 of the seven rooms at Mazarine and sort of took over the pool and grassy area drinking, using foul language and being loud for our last two nights. At least it ended at sunset. When we were on our balcony my husband had to ask them to stop using the F word. It was being said a lot. Basically they made us feel like we could not use the pool in the early evening at and sunset. My daughters age 15 and 18 were intimidated by them and all eyes were on them going in and out of the pool the first night the men were there. Needless to say they would go nowhere near the pool on our last night. I'm sure this is not a usual occurrence, but it was ours, and it stunk. These men were old enough to know better. They were in their 30's and 40's. They left empty beer bottles and wine bottles on the grass that my husband cleaned up, so we did not have to look at them out of our sliding glass door after they left the pool area. I did let management know about it, but even having to do that takes away from our vacation and the joy of being in Bermuda. So for me the drawback is no staff on site to help with the problems that need to be nipped in the bud. We also lost water to both of our units on our first day there, and that was not fun for my husband because he was half way through a shower and it took about 60 to 90 minutes to fix. He had to put his bathing suit on and go into the pool to rinse the soap off. The owner did do her best to fix the problem quickly, and she succeeded. I did leave one tub full of water for the duration of our stay in case it happened again, but we didn't need to use it. We were told after the water problems to not drink the water just use it for bathing. Maybe we just had a bit of bad luck, but it is enough to make me look elsewhere for accommodations when we return to Bermuda. I think that if the A/C worked well, and the other guests were respectful of others I would feel differently, but I must base my opinion on my experience and it is what it is. BTW...The first photo and the third photo attached were taken at Mazarine by the Sea. It does have a beautiful view!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had a wedding to attend in Bermuda and found this wonderful place for my wife and I, brother and sister (3 small condo-like rooms with housekeeping)to stay at. I am an avid kayaker and the property has ocean access which was perfect to explore the N. shore of Bermuda and the Great Sound with our inflatable kayak. Pool is more for dipping than swimming but it is perfect for the setting and property as it is right at the cliff's edge. Quiet setting with very easy access to Hamilton or anywhere n the island by bus (15 min. walk into Hamilton). Very nice and helpful owners.They even drove us to a location instead of us getting a taxi. Other non-family guests were interesting and fun and the setting is very relaxing, Good value for the Bermuda market.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mazarine by the Sea? Share your experiences!