“Nice stay in a beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oxford House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pembroke Parish
Oxford House
20 Woodbourne Avenue, HM BX, Bermuda   |
Special Offer
Call for best rates
Ohio
“Nice stay in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I debated between 4 and 5 circles for my rating. When I realized I had a hard time coming up with anything negative to say, I decided it was more a 5 than a 4. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I asked for a first floor room because of my back and having to carry a laptop and books to work every day. The only room they had available on the first floor was off of the kitchen at the back of the house. They apologized multiple times about the location and explained that they would be very quiet in the mornings. I was never bothered by noise. I also had my own door directly to the outside. They said to feel free to use it during the day, but it would be safer to come in the front door at night, so that was what I did.

Breakfast is normally served starting at 8am. I needed to be leaving for work by 8, so when I informed them I wouldn't be there for breakfast, they said they would have breakfast out early for me and to plan on stopping by. They had eggs that you could boil, danish or donuts, yogurt, cereal, and more each morning.

They let me borrow an umbrella, they gave me directions, and made me feel right at home. This is my first stay at a B&B and it was a good experience. Faye (one of the staff) even offered to mail my postcards for me because it was pouring down rain on my last morning and I didn't want to go to the airport wet.

The only minor negatives were some ants in the bathroom the first day (the people I was working with said ants are just part of living in Bermuda) which I never mentioned, but were gone the next day. And the fact that my air conditioner was turned off each day and the windows opened while I was at work. I talked to another person staying there and they did not do this on the second floor. Because I understand how expensive electricity is in Bermuda, I didn't complain. I'm sure that if I had, they would have left the A/C on, but this seemed wasteful since I was gone to work all day and the room cooled off fairly quickly when I got back and turned it back on.

Room Tip: Even though it seemed strange walking through the kitchen, I would stay in the room off the kitchen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I just completed an eight day vacation stay at the Oxford House. The Oxford House is a large bed and breakfast, with about 13 rooms. We stayed upstairs in the front of the house. Our room had a small refrigerator and microwave, and was nicely furnished. Just outside of our room was a living room style gathering area, with a balcony off of the gathering area that faced the front of the hotel. In the yard outside our room was a small garden with some chairs and a table for relaxing or enjoying breakfast.

The Oxford House is centrally located in Hamilton. There are about 10 restaurants within about 2-3 blocks, with several restaurants only a 1.5 blocks away. Oleander Cycles rents scooters a half block away. Across the street is a drug/convenience store with a good supply of necessary items. The Fairmont Hamilton Princess is about 4 blocks away. The shops along Front Street along the waterfront are about 5 blocks away (less than a 5 minute walk).

The Oxford House is very clean and well furnished. An ample continental breakfast is served each day. There is air conditioning in the rooms, although it does struggle a bit to cool down the room on hot and humid days, unless the room is left closed up and the A/C on at all times.

The Oxford House has a very British feel, which is amplified by its polite but not all that warm, friendly or welcoming owner. However, the necessary warmth and welcome is plentiful from her excellent staff, who were very friendly and attended to every need immediately. When we came down to grab breakfast, we typically would return with the room already made up. The staff respected our privacy, but was very engaging and made our stay more enjoyable. Our minor requests were fulfilled immediately, and they were genuinely pleased to greet us throughout the day.

Breakfast is served daily and consists of scones, English muffins, fruit, coffee, juices, cereal, yogurt and boiled eggs. The breakfast is excellent, but for an extended stay, variety would be appreciated, as it did not vary at all during our entire stay.

The Oxford House appeared to cater primarily to business travelers, although it is very suitable for couples on vacation. I would not recommend it for families with small children. The gathering area upstairs was great for socializing our simply getting a change of pace outside the room. We enjoyed the balcony on the front of the hotel several times in the evening with some wine and cheese.

We stayed on the front side of the hotel in one of the larger rooms. Although there is not a scenic view, we liked being able to see down the street and watch traffic go by. We typically sleep with windows open, but there is quite a bit of street noise, particularly on weekday mornings. I suspect that the rooms at the back of the hotel do not have this problem. The street noise was easy to cure, as with the windows closed, the room was very quiet. Although our room was by no means "large," it was quite adequate. We peeked in on a number of other rooms at Oxford House and they all seemed quite nicely furnished, and also of adequate size.

Our bed was a little firm, as were the pillows. We asked for softer pillows, and the staff immediately looked for softer pillows. Although they were better, they were still a bit on the firm side.

If you are looking for a beachfront or resort Bermuda experience, this would not be the hotel for you. For us, we were out on the scooter or shopping/walking in Hamilton most of the time, so this was an ideal centrally located base camp. At night, we had a short walk to dinner, and when we needed any small items, the drug store was right across the street.

It’s our understanding that the daughter of the Oxford House owner is the owner of the Royal Palms bed and breakfast and possibly also Ascot’s Restaurant. We wish the owner had been a bit more friendly and interested in us and our stay. That, and the lack of variety for breakfast, are our only small complaints. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Oxford House for those who wish to stay in Hamilton.

Room Tip: Select a room in the back to avoid street noise. There is one room with a more complete kitchen.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Dear Oxford House Staff

Thanks you so much for such an enjoyable stay. The simplest measurement of our satisfaction is to say that we felt joy at being at the Oxford House.

When we arrived and walked into our room we were joyful at the warmth of the room, it's beautiful floral decor, the room size, antique furnishings and lovely bathroom. The one block walk to the water, and to the Lobster Pot and 2-3 blocks walk to almost everyplace we wanted to go to in town, was also a joy.

Coming "home" at the end of each afternoon of walking, busing and ferrying around the island also gave us feeling of joy. After our rejuvinating two hour late afternoon rest and glasses of wine in our beautiful room, we felt joy at going out again for dinners in town, ferry rides or more exploring around town.

Breakfast and our fun chats with each of you was joyful. Even paying the bill was joyful!

You are a wonderful team.
Thank to each of you and Bermudians for making our stay so j_ _ f _ _!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to stay at The Oxford House! We like to stay at places that make us feel nice abo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tuxedo Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I always first check availability at the Oxford House when planning trips to Bermuda. The location is centrally located to many businesses and the rate is almost half of the full service hotel which is further from the action. The rooms are very clean and the continental breakfast is very nice. The A/C units in the rooms can be pushed to their limits on very warm nights, but if you remember to turn it on before goin out to dinner, you will be fine. Very pleasant staff and owner.

• Stayed October 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good for one person as room is somewhat small for two people. Nice and well maintained house, Very pretty on outside. Housekeeping is excellent! Whatever i needed was provided when requested. Check in/out was smooth. Room was always cleaned by time I returned. Nice breakfast spread. Great location you can walk anywhere. Owner was not there during my stay bi to women taking care ofthings were very nice. Bathroom as someone mentioned is very tiny but kept nice and clean. For those with issues with ants etc. like many places on Island they do have ants. It was not as bad as another place I stayed. To their credit, when I asked them to spray they did and I did not see any for a day or two but then they were back with a vengance. I thought the bed was comfortable but firm. i slept well with cool airconditioning. My first day there the blanket had hole and spots but I requested change of sheets and blanket and it was taken care of by time I returned. Other than that if I were to return to Bermuda i would stay again. I stayed on top floor. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Maia, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The oxford Guest House is really well located, near Hamilton city center just 5/10 min walking.
The rooms are very comfortable with all commodities that you may need in a business trip.
Breakfast could be better, but you got the essential.
Staff (owners) are very friendly- as all the people in the island and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have just had a fantastic week staying at the Oxford House. The location is central without being too close, just 2 minutes stroll down to Front Street for the ferry terminal, bars and a wide range of eating venues. So back to the guest house, comfortable and spacious room with en suite shower, nice and clean and lovely staff. Faye and Mrs Smith are wonderful people, very accommodating and great to chat to. I travel a lot on business trips and usually stay in big 5* chain hotels, l can honestly say that the Oxford house room I stayed in is equally good and has friendly chatty staff to brighten your day. Thank you for a lovely memorable week.

Room Tip: I Stacey in the Pembroke room which is on the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Oxford House? Share your experiences!