“Relaxing and Leisurely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Erith Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paget Parish
Erith Guest House
15 Pomander Road, PG 05, Bermuda   |
Belmont
“Relaxing and Leisurely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

We have stayed at Erith House 4 times over the past 5 years. Stayed in a large hotel one year but always felt we had to get dressed up to go anywhere on the property. Erith is casual and relaxed and there is never a rushed feeling or any stress. It's location in a residential neighborhood is quiet and it's convenient location make it easy to get to any of the beaches or Hamilton. It is spotless and I would rather spend money on good meals and entertainment than on a bed to sleep in. Large hotels are great if that is the type of vacation you want but Erith is just a great place to feel totally relaxed and non-stressed.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I was not sure where to stay for my trip to Bermuda. I looked at many Guest Houses and Bed & Breaskfasts and then came across Erith. I am so glad I did.
When we arrived at Erith it was lovely. The receptions, grounds and rooms were very clean and bright. The rooms had plasma televisions and the decor was very pretty.
It was close to the bus stop that gave us options to go into Hamilton (which was walking distance if we did not want to use the bus by the way) or to Dockyard or St George.
Every morning we received a continental breakfast which was included in the room rate. They had juices, bagels, toast, cerals, muffins coffee and tea, not overwhelming but just enough to help us get going for the day.
One treat was the the Hot Tub (it was still a little cool for the pool!!) and the BBQ was right there in the back so we could cook up fish and steaks at night.
I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a hidden treasure. We had a great time and the staff were lovely.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Don't be fooled by the 'guest house' title -- Erith is really just a motel. It's a good budget stay given the convenient proximity to Hamilton (approx 3 min scooter ride) and the Pomander Tennis Club which offers week-long temporary membership to their nice facilities for $35 per couple. But the accommodations & sparse continental breakfast were disappointingly depressing. This is far from being a B&B.

The decor both inside & out was quite bland, especially next to the warm & colorful houses you see all over the island. The windows in the entire building are small so that very little sunlight is let in, leaving the grey-ish walls of the lobby, hallway, and room all feeling incredibly drab. There was hardly any decoration or color on the walls and the lack of sun indoors offers very little incentive to spend time there or make you want to lounge around the place at all, unlike the other B&B we stayed in. All rooms have kitchenettes (very nice) but the hot water heater in our room was not clean and the glasses were plastic, not glass, and didn't feel quite clean. The window accents in our room were just a piece of cloth draped over, which had actually fallen off. The second floor has direct access to the back patio area, but the door was constantly jammed. The contintenal breakfast featured pre-packaged muffins & bagels (nice when toasted), little packs of jelly & cream cheese, 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' spread, incredibly bad coffee, canned fruit cocktail, and wonderful orange & apple juices; nothing was really fresh. The front desk was abandoned most of the time with no way to get in touch with someone with questions unless you were lucky.

The best aspect of the house was its patio & pool area, which was very nicely laid out -- except that it blatantly overlooked two courts of the Pomander Tennis Club, which is great if you enjoy tennis & a mild sense of voyuerism. The pool was open during our visit in the slight chill of March and we were forewarned over the phone that it wasn't heated when we made reservations which was nice, but later noticed that it wasn't exactly swimmable anyway -- it hadn't been cleaned & there was a lounge chair sitting at the bottom for the entire 3 days of our stay. Nonetheless, I'm sure the patio table & lounge chairs on the pool deck are in the sun and must be great for relaxing and reading a book during warmer seasons.

We just didn't get a warm feeling from this place. I would suggest other options in the same price range if possible, which you can find in some bed & breakfasts on the island.

Pros:
- convenient proximity to Hamilton
- easy access to Pomander Tennis Club
- nice pool & hot tub area (during warmer seasons)
- kitchenettes in every room (microwave, mini-fridge & hot water heater)

Cons:
- not warm, cozy, or romantic
- cheap/lacking decor, depressing rooms
- sparse, unpalatable continental breakfast
- vending machines everywhere on site
- no views (all windows overlook the street or tennis courts)

• Liked — convenient location, pool area, kitchenettes in all rooms
  • Disliked — lack of ambiance, cleanliness, breakfast, views
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I stayed at Erith Guest House for 10 nights with my boyfriend from August 27-Sept 6, 2007. We went to Bermuda because I was born there and lived there for 11 years, and it was high time to go back!

After doing much homework to pick our accommodation, we settled on Erith because of its location, budget-conscious price, complimentary breakfast and pool. The approx. total cost of our trip was $4000.

We found its location to be great - it is on a quiet one-way street (Pomander Rd) just off a busy street that goes into the capital city Hamilton. The only noise we heard from our front patio was the occasional scooter along Pomander. (We had a street-level room just next to the front door, so it was very relaxing to sit on our patio and eat breakfast.)

Erith is a 15 min walk to Hamilton, which worked well for us as we walked to the city almost every day to sightsee, eat, pick up groceries and catch the ferry. The nights are warm so it's a nice and safe walk to and from.

The guest house is also close to the Oleander Scooter rental place. It takes about 15 min by scooter to get to Horseshoe Beach, 25-30 min to get to Dockyard and 25-30 min to get to St George (if you don't take a wrong turn!). My boyfriend was rather nervous on the scooter because traffic is quite steady around the island, and of course you drive on the left. There is nothing of note to do within walking distance of Erith (except go to Hamilton), so expect to use a scooter, ferry, bus or cab every day.

Erith is also budget-conscious because it was much more affordable than the larger hotels such as the Southampton Princess or Elbow Beach. We got a superior room (incl. tiny kitchenette and fridge) for $190/night. And the breakfast is included, which is prepackaged muffins, bagels with cream cheese (sometimes), toast, cinnamon rolls (sometimes), a fruit salad (simple but delicious), apples and bananas, and coffee. I was happy with it and didn't need a big breakfast - save your money for the restaurant dinners!

One of my favourite parts of Erith was its pool. It's a small pool in the back, overlooking Pomander Gate Tennis Club (where my Dad was a member). But it's there, it's free, towels are provided, it's quiet, and we had the pool to ourselves the entire time. The pool is a great way to relax after a day of sightseeing.

Therefore, things I liked best about Erith...
- The pool (tip: we took the pool towels with us to the beach, then returned them to the bin and the owners didn't seem to notice or mind)
- Our first floor room and sitting out on the patio to look at hibiscus flowers while eating breakfast and planning our day
- The quiet street
- Proximity to Hamilton
- Good sized and clean room with a comfy bed, TV, nice bathroom and fridge
- Hotel staff kept to themselves

Things I didn't like....
- Hotel staff weren't around very often except at breakfast time - I didn't mind but other people might

I definitely recommend Erith and would be very happy to stay there again. Happy travelling!

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

Stayed at the Erith Guest House May, 2006. I was a bit concerned about location, but it turns out that Erith is really only a short walk from Hamilton. The rooms are clean, reasonably furnished and stocked with everything you need. I was a bit put-off by the "plastic" mattress cover on my bed - it was noisy and just uncomfortable to sleep on. Breakfast is simple - prepackaged muffins, fruits, coffee and juice. But then, I don't think I could have dealt with a full blown meal anyway.

Best part of staying at Erith are the owners and staff. They will help you figure out your activities, share stories, find you towels to take to the beach - even make sure you have a bottle of water to take with you on your excursion. I didn't feel as much a hotel customer as a welcome guest in someone's home. I really did free to use the grill or do yoga in the back garden.

Overall, this is a serene place to unwind and an excellent base to explore the island from. Can't wait to go back.

Jersey City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Erith Guest House in October of 2004 for a long weekend. We were in town for a wedding. The room was affordable, clean, quiet. There is a small pool and lounger chairs set up in the back. We took a dip every morning before starting the day- very refreshing! We rented scooters to get around, a good idea since the location is not very close to any restaurants or attractions. (But Hamilton is not terribly far away.) The continental breakfast was prepackaged muffins, some bananas and apples. Nothing fancy, but sufficient. Hot coffee and fresh juice was available, and very comfortably enjoyed poolside on their patio, might I add. There was no pressure to interact with other guests at the house, people came and went on their own. But we did meet a nice couple who ate their breakfast around the same time as we did, and shared a few conversations. Overall, I would recommend the Erith Guest House to anyone who wants a good place to stay, with no bells and whistles. Their rates are easy on the wallet and the owners are incredibly nice to boot!

Been to Erith Guest House? Share your experiences!