We stayed at Beach Home from Sept 1-7, 2010. I keep putting off writing this review, because I wanted to make sure that it accurately conveyed what a gem it is!
I echo the comments from other guests:
-- Maria, Doug, and Andrew (and Cal, the taxi driver) were so warm and welcoming that we immediately felt at home in Bermuda. We were there for our 10th anniversary, along with friends, and everyone really went the extra mile to make our trip special.
-- The location of the cottages is fantastic. What an amazing view of the beautiful blue water. Literally steps from the ocean, and located in Paget which is in the central part of Bermuda so it's easy to get to other sights.
-- The layout of the cottage (2 bedrooms separated by a bathroom) was very comfortable for 2 couples, or I think would work well for a family.
-- The cottage has a grill and small kitchen, so it's a great option to cook at home and enjoy the view during dinner!
We were there during Tropical Storm Fiona, which meant that the south side of the island had rough surf and it was quite humid. The cottage itself is on a hill about 40 feet up from the water. Maria and Doug checked on us and the cottage - and we felt quite safe during the storm. I'm glad that we didn't cancel our trip, as the storm passed right by in the night!
We enjoyed our stay so much that we've already confirmed our stay for next September - and are counting the days until we return!
There are a few things that I might suggest you consider:
-- This is a beach cottage. The furnishings are clean and comfortable, but not luxurious. It has a water heater with plenty of hot water for one or two showers, but it's not unlimited. And, it doesn't come with the amenities of a hotel -- so if you'd be most comfortable at the Four Seasons, then you might want to consider whether a cottage is the right choice for you.
-- The free Wifi is a great service, but it's not the fastest connection. Great for quickly checking email or looking up something on the web...
-- I typically want to walk everywhere and we had planned to rent both scooters and pedalbikes - but I didn't count on how humid and hilly Bermuda is. (I think it may have been more humid because of the tropical storm.) We ended up renting scooters and taking taxis -- even the 15 minute walk to the bus was too far in the hot sun and humidity!
-- Maria arranged our taxi pickup with Cal from the airport - which I highly recommend. Fair price, great info about the island, and she'll stop at the grocery store on the way to the cottage. (Recommend, since it can be tough to balance groceries on the scooter.) We relied on Cal to drive us to dinners in the evenings, as we didn't feel comfortable on the scooters after dark. Great service!
-- We rented scooters from Oleander, after considering several other smaller companies on the island. This proved to be a smart choice when one of our scooters broke down in Dockyard -- we were able to get a new scooter dropped off in minutes, rather than the longer wait if they were bringing a scooter from farther down the island.
-- You need to buy bus passes in advance, as you can't buy them on the bus. Maria had a few that we borrowed and then replaced before we left.
If you're looking for a cottage in Bermuda - the Grape Bay Cottages are an incredible value! Enjoy your stay - we can't wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in Paget, these two, two-bedroom beach cottages are a great escape for anyone looking to enjoy a relaxing holiday. Both have a fully equipped kitchen, TV and wireless internet. A 10-15 minute walk from main bus routes and grocery store or 10 minute taxi ride into the City of Hamilton. Each cottage sleeps 4 adults comfortably. Monthly winter rates available. We respect our guests privacy, therefore, viewing is by appointment only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Grape Bay Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grape Bay Cottages Hotel Paget
- Grape Bay Cottages Bermuda/Paget Parish