My fiance and I just got back from our second annual stay at Maria and Doug's amazing cottages.** The location is right on a totally gorgeous pinkish sand beach, which has very few people on it, so you have it practically to yourself. With the soft air and sound of the surf, the porch is my favorite place to read anywhere in the world. We had cocktail hour every evening looking at the ocean. In January when we've gone the highs are around 70 -- extremely pleasant but not hot -- and we were able to go swimming a couple times.
In addition to the place itself being great, Maria is an incredible host. She emails ahead of time to ask what basic food provisions you'd like to have there when you arrive (milk, coffee, yogurt, wine -- the basics), and she arranges to have Cal, the world's most reliable and friendliest cab driver, meet you at the airport. You feel a little like royalty. Both times we've been Maria has also left a small rum cake, which is one of the more extraordinary things I've ever tasted.
This last trip we went for a long weekend and ended up getting stranded (okay, "stranded") there for two extra days because a snow storm in New York canceled our flight. We were scrambling, looking up places to stay on hotels.com, but Maria and her husband Doug let us stay for two additional nights and days -- and didn't even want to charge us (we insisted on paying for one of the two nights). Talk about hospitality! It turned what could have been a frustrating, inconvenient experience into a vacation extension. The wireless internet meant we didn't miss work, and we still took walks on the beach at the end of the day.
Grape Bay Cottages are a peaceful slice of paradise. It's a very short trip from New York. That was actually why we went the first year, though now we're hooked. The flight is 1 hour and 45 minutes in the air, which meant we were literally door to door in under 6 hours, and it would have been 5 if we hadn't gotten to the airport so early.
I've never left a TripAdvisor review before, this is my first one. Grape Bay Cottages inspired me to do it. :)
** There are two cottages, one above the other, and we've now stayed in each. They are somehow close together yet each is completely private from the other. One is closer the ocean, but both have *amazing* views of the beach and the upper cottage has a view of the beautiful white limestone roof of the lower one. (Roofs in Bermuda are all white, which creates a lovely tropical feel, and they're all used for water collection.) We enjoyed both equally -- like choosing between your two favorite ice cream flavors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in Paget, these two, two-bedroom beach cottages are a great escape for anyone looking to enjoy a relaxing holiday. Both have a fully equipped kitchen, TV and wireless internet. A 10-15 minute walk from main bus routes and grocery store or 10 minute taxi ride into the City of Hamilton. Each cottage sleeps 4 adults comfortably. Monthly winter rates available. We respect our guests privacy, therefore, viewing is by appointment only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Grape Bay Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grape Bay Cottages Hotel Paget
- Grape Bay Cottages Bermuda/Paget Parish