We are staying in the upper cottage, Beach Crest. The cottage is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, with everything that you would need to cook with and serve dinner with in the kitchen, not that we used it for that purpose, too many good restaurants within a reasonable taxi or bus trip.
The location is very private, and you practically have your own beach and reefs to explore. Thanks to tropical storm/depression Debby, we have had limited opportunity to snorkel the reefs. The surf has just been too rough.
If you plan on using public transportation, it is a hike to get to the closest bus stops, Maria doesn't to try to hide this fact, and there are hills involved. We found the easiest way was to cut across the beach and go through the Grape Bay Hotel parking lot. I wouldn't recommend doing this late at night, as the hotel is closed and there might be some vagrants living in the hotel, so I would grab a taxi for the late night return to the cottage. The public transportation is great, and you get a local perspective of things by talking with the other bus riders. Buses and ferry services run all day and can be used with the daily or multi day passes. We used them to get to Grotto Bay (took an hour), and used the ferry service a couple of times to get to St. George's and to the Dockyard. We found that if you are returning from Hamilton after dinner of cocktails, it's worth the ~$10 taxi fare.
Maria has a favorite taxi partner, and they have done a great job for us. As a matter of fact, they just called to arrange our departure time for tomorrow. We have had to use some other taxi services (hailed on the streets of downtown Hamilton) with mixed results. Not every driver knows where the cottages are, so if you can't tell them exactly where you want to go, you might end up at the Grape Bay Hotel, as we did one night. Another perk to using her recommended taxi service is the welcome bottle of swizzle that Calvin makes up for you (he's been making these for over 50 years, great recipe). If you run out, I believe that he can help you out with more. Calvin and his daughter are wonderful, and full of Island knowledge.
Maria has checked in with us, and stopped by for a visit. She's a wonderful person, with a great personality. She brought us a wonderful rum cake during her visit yesterday. We look forward to her visit tomorrow when we depart.
Glad that we found this place. We will definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in Paget, these two, two-bedroom beach cottages are a great escape for anyone looking to enjoy a relaxing holiday. Both have a fully equipped kitchen, TV and wireless internet. A 10-15 minute walk from main bus routes and grocery store or 10 minute taxi ride into the City of Hamilton. Each cottage sleeps 4 adults comfortably. Monthly winter rates available. We respect our guests privacy, therefore, viewing is by appointment only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Grape Bay Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grape Bay Cottages Hotel Paget
- Grape Bay Cottages Bermuda/Paget Parish