My family (spouse and two adult children) just spent a week at Celia Dawkins' guest house. The trip started with a two hour delay at JFK, getting us to the house at almost midnight. Mrs. Dawkins was very tired, but had stayed up until we arrived and she could show us how everything worked.
This was our first visit to Bermuda so it's impossible to know what to expect. As it turned out this place was a perfect fit our needs. There's an excellent market 5 minutes away on the main road, a bike rental on the grounds of the Elbow Beach Hotel (about 15 minutes away), and beach access via Elbow Beach, also 15 minutes away. We rented a suite with a kitchen, which probably saved $50 a day for breakfast alone. Even though we washed our own dishes, the unit was thoroughly cleaned every day and I'm sure the maid would have done it.
We rented a scooter from Elbow Beach and left the helmets and keys with Mrs. Dawkins for pickup by the rental company after we left. Very convenient. Riding a bike in Bermuda is not for the meek. I ride one in Manhattan often and I would never even attempt this on the very narrow, winding, shoulderless roads in Bermuda.
I would highly recommend getting the multi-day bus and ferry pass. We got ours at the main ferry terminal in Hamilton, which is a $10 cab ride away. (We had no trouble flagging cabs on the main road or in the parking lot of the market.)
Ocean views are nice, but paying extra for this feature at your lodging seems like a waste when you are surrounded by stunning views all day. For us, it was nice to come back to a quiet house with a private entrance to our rooms.
Also, March is a nice time to go. The cruise ships don't arrive until April so the sights near these areas (St George and the Naval Dockyards) were very quiet and uncrowded. The merchants are also very happy to see you! The downside is that the water is too cold to dive or snorkel without a wetsuit.
We will definitely return to Bermuda and Dawkins Manor one day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dawkins Manor provides visitors a "Home away from Home." Each suite has a fully operational kitchen, there is barbeque on pool deck as well as portable ones in store should several guest need to cook out at the same time. We pride ourselves in keeping our guest "SAFE" with modern Security devices, plenty of lights around the property, an electronic gate and a watch dog. Our state-of-the-art generator powers the entire property during power outages so our guests are never without electricity. Chauffeuring our guest on a rainy day or getting them to their appointments on time when taxis are not available or late or taking them to the airport is one of the owner's greatest pleasures; anything to keep her guest happy. Quiet, serene, peaceful, safe, hospitable and homely is Dawkins Manor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your Dawkin's Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dawkins Manor Paget
- Dawkins Manor Hotel Paget
- Dawkin's Manor Bermuda/Paget Parish