“Wonderful place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Reef Resort Bermuda

You added Coco Reef Resort Bermuda to your Saves list
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3 Stonington Circle, South Shore Road, PG 04, Bermuda (Formerly Stonington Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Paget Parish
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed in Coco Reef for seven days. We travelled with our four year old daughter. We enjoyed immensely the view and patio with direct access to the beach at our rooms which were on the ground floor in oceanfront Middleton villa. They were clean and no bugs crawled in while we were there. We opted for breakfast included, and no regrets! Breakfast was delicious, served in a beautiful restaurant with stunning views and lovely music in the background. Hotel staff is really friendly and helpful.
Here what can surprise you - Coco Reef has a small nice beach and direct access to Elbow Beach. However, when the weather got windy and the ocean became choppy (we stayed at the end of Oct - beg. of Nov), Coco Reef beach disappeared and access to Elbow beach was impossible just by walking on the sand. We had to wear shoes and walk a bit on the rocks. Other than that I highly recommend this place. It's located close to Bermuda college and it was so lovely on our way to the bus stop in the morning to watch students drawing in the park.

Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Key West, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

So I will start this by saying that I probably like everyone else read all the reviews to form my own opinion when deciding to stay in a property. I do not give this poor of a review readily. I am a professional traveler, meaning that I travel and stay in hotels every week, 3-4 nights 50+ weeks a year so I understand where I am and where to set the "bar" or measure and can balance my expectations accordingly. I read the reviews below and wonder how we could have been staying in the same resort. Opinions differ, but this "resort" to me was neither clean, nor safe nor appealing in any way. I would pick any motel 6 in the US over this property. I normally stay in Hamilton and for one week was forced to stay at the Coco Reef, at first, very excited, I thought, a beautiful resort, what fun. Keep in mind I am a female traveler, by myself. The room was booked for one person so there was no question when they placed me. Upon check in, I walk into a beautiful, albeit musty lobby (this is an island) and checked in. I get a key to my room ( a real key, which $100.00 charge was put on my card until its safe return) and I go to my room. Here is were the difficulty begins. This hotel is no more than half full, if that. My room is in the furthest building on the property away from the main building, down a well manicured, but remote walkway. My hallway is behind an unkept wall of bushes. I walk to the building to find it very run down in appearance, you can see from my pics, it was not appealing in any way, at a dead end route, and not at all well maintained. Pushing that initial impression to the side I walk into the room and find myself in either 1968-1970, Pink walls and pink flowered bedspreads,(not comforters), pink flower drapes, pink flower cushions, not even a southing pink but a pepto pink. I understand art is based on opinion, the art in this room did not reflect the easygoing beach style, while it was a beautiful piece in its own right, it was just a little unnerving in this room and as the first thing to wake up to, maybe a beach scene would be a bit more appropriate (opinion only) it was a large print of two women (close up faces) Bermudian perhaps, but just in no way fit into the decor of this or any beach type room) Again, as long as it is clean, we can survive anything. However, as I begin to look around, I realize that no one has been in this isolated room for a very long time. The coffee pot had dust and bugs in it, the unit itself burned of dust when plugged in. The room was again musty, not fresh. However, the bathroom had been nicely remodeled. I open my computer to begin to work, there is no light. The only lights are two small bedside lights and one small lamp on the ceiling fan. There is no chance I can see to work so I decide on dinner. I was told that there was one restaurant on the premises. until 7:00 you can only get bar food and from 7:00 on you can only get dinner food. So you need to make your selection ahead of time to show up at the proper time to eat. On my way, I stop by the front desk and ask the receptionist if I could get a lamp, her response was "All of the rooms have pole lamps' I courteously explained that in fact, I was very sure that my room did not, we continued to bicker this fact back and forth until I invited her to walk with me back to my room so that she could point out said pole lamp, at the point, she digressed and said she would have someone bring me a lamp. I continue on the restaurant and decide to eat in the bar since I am by myself, the bartender, and elderly gentleman is the only reason this property received two stars from me instead of one. He was kind, had lots of stories and I truly enjoyed my time with him, I believe his name was Darnell, but I am not sure of that. Anyone traveling to Bermuda understands that is a very expensive place to visit. However, I have eaten at Harry's in Hamilton for about the same price and had a much more enjoyable meal. Because of the remoteness of the property, you either have to get a taxi, or eat at the hotel. Their menu is very limited so if you have not transportation, be ready, There is no room service as an option either. I had a salad, chicken and two drinks and the bill was $60 +(the drinks may have been expensive) I return to my room after dinner, returning down the now very dark walkway alone, into the outside corridor to the room, it was very remote and I felt neither safe nor comfortable behind the bushes. Not another guest in sight anywhere. However, much to my surprise the missing pole lamp was in place, offering barely more light than I had originally. I gave up. I go to lock my door and I have a simple pushbutton lock (as I child in our home we picked these with bobby pins) and a small chain, I secured both. The bedspread was musty and disgusting, but there were no other spare blankets in the room, the temperature was set at 60 so the room was chilly (it was about 65 outside). I Inspected the bed (something I have not done in years in my hotels) and got ready for bed at that point I noticed that the toilet ran continuously until you took the back off and seated a gasket. No I did not report this annoyance since the lamp seemed to be such an issue. I do not really watch TV but think it is prudent to mention that the TV is roughly from the same era as the furnishings, slightly maybe about 20 inch. In the morning I go to leave and forget to undo the chain, the door opened wide without hesitation, seems the track for the chain was too large and any safety garnered by that was a figment of my imagination. After that I moved my wicker chair in front of the door so at least I would hear if someone came in. It is all very unnerving. On my last morning, I woke up and was going to make coffee and heard something, there was very large insect, roach, palmetto…who knows that scurried across the floor and over my foot. For me, live bugs is not an acceptable thing, I realize the tropics and such, but be very clear, Bermuda is west of the Carolinas, it is not tropical. I managed to capture the offender under a glass. Sadly, I could not get out of this place quick enough, vowing to never, ever return. It was not a pleasant stay at any level. In an effort to provide full disclosure, I did not see the beach, it may have been beautiful, perhaps they have nice rooms, not sure why I was banished alone at the very last, somewhat unused building. At no point on the premises, did I ever see more than one or two other guest so I hardly think it was busting at the seams. I am glad other guests enjoyed their stay here. I did not, nor would I recommend this property to any other person, friend or foe. So, this is meant to educate you as a traveler and put this with these wonderful reviews and form your own opinion. Myself, I would never bring my family here.

Room Tip: I think most rooms are ocean view, I would think nearer the main building would be optimal, especial...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stoney Creek, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is our second visit to Coco Reef. Imagine waking up each morning & in 2 minutes walking to the Atlantic! Located on Elbow Beach, we walked up & down the beach daily.
The hotel staff is very friendly, helpful & pleasant. We felt our room needed a freshing up- new drapes, bedding & furniture were all a little faded.
We will definitely return to Coco Reef.

• Stayed September 2013
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A colleague and I stayed at the Coco Reef for two weeks, whilst on a business trip. The hotel is tucked away behind Bermuda College, which is not a problem - just difficult to locate.
The staff are friendly and very, very helpful; although the hotel is looking tired and in need of an overhaul. Also, the facilities are a little lacking. For a hotel of this standard we were anticipating gym facilities; whereas we were informed they had an arrangement with the College, to use their gym. Unfortunately, this is only open during the day and I can imagine that a number of guests would not relish the idea of sharing gym facilities with students.
Having said that, the rooms are comfortable and the views across the ocean are superb; which makes the lack of a refurbishment even more of a shame.
Would we stay here again, on business? Yes.
Would I take my wife here on holiday? No - there are better hotels at a similar price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We have only been here half a week but I have that doomed feeling about leaving, it's so lovely here the sea view is stunning, the pool is great, warm sea, all the breakfast, lunch and dinner meals have been great, it's not often you really fall in love with a holiday but this is perfect. Nothing to fault.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had a wonderful 2 weeks at Coco Reef in Sept. Everyone, without exception, were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was exceptional, with excellent food, well cooked and presented beautifully. Our room was clean and tidy, kept spotless by our chambermaids.
It's a small hotel 64 rooms, which makes it quiet and peaceful, the beach in lovely. The main road is 10 min walk away, where there is a useful supermarket and bus route into Hamilton or the dockyards.
The only minor fault, our middle weekend there was a wedding, also the weekend we departed, there was another function and as a hotel guest, I did feel a little 'pushed aside' when these were happening, kept away from areas for dining that were other times available to us. But other than that, I would recommend it to anyone who seeks a small, friendly hotel, with a superb beach.

Room Tip: For a better view, with Ocean View rooms, ask for 2nd floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at the Coco Reef Resort for the first ten days of October. We would stay there again. If you are looking for a resort like the advertisements on tv for Sandals, or if you want to drink and party a lot and be a gregarious beautiful person, this is not the resort for you. It is a good three star. The cliental for the most part were middle age and older, with a couple of honeymoon couples thrown in. The room was adequate size and clean, the staff, except for one brain dead female (white) clerk on the desk (days), were friendly and competent. The dining room was upscale with the prices to match, and the limited menu got tiring by the end of the week. The grounds were very attractive with lots of flowering shrubs. There were adequate number of beach and pool lounges so there wasn't a problem of people saving them. The weather was quite warm and somewhat humid.

Other things, it is a five minute walk through the adjoining college grounds to a main road. From that point there is a very good family type restaurant with reasonable prices four minutes to the left, and a medium sized well stocked super market to the right. There are no other restaurants nor stores within easy walking distance. The bus stops are where you come out to the main road. There is a major hotel about a five minute walk along the beach (watch out at high tide or high winds). We visited it three times but only ate there once. It is busier, noisier, and has a disco.

The Coco Reef beach has been washed away by the recent winds, not a problem since the loungers are elevated, but no good for wading if you have children. One major guide book states that the resort is in need of renovation, which sounds like broken tile, ragged drapes, water stains, worn carpets, musty smell, etc. Not so. Although the décor is out of the 70s/80s, everything was spotlessly clean and in good working order. The guide book also said the Coco Reef was overpriced for what you got. That is true, but so is just about everything else in Bermuda.

Room Tip: We had a beech front room. It was nice and close to the beach, but we had to draw the curtains when...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!