“BEAUTIFUL BEACH OUTDATED HOTEL POOR SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coco Reef Resort Bermuda

Save Saved
You added Coco Reef Resort Bermuda to your Saves list
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3 Stonington Circle, South Shore Road, PG 04, Bermuda (Formerly Stonington Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Paget Parish
Toronto, Canada
“BEAUTIFUL BEACH OUTDATED HOTEL POOR SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very nice setting and beach

Hotel is very overpriced set lunch for 2 was over us 100.00 service charge is 17 % !!!! for poor service..Got food poisoning the last day.

No room service One restaurant open only for a few hours daily.

Room very dated.Old rattan furniture old towels old and dark bathroom Bugs old bed
Bell boy not helping with bags .....will not return !!

Room Tip: get a room facing the beach not beach view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

I assure you we have met with the relevant departments and discussed your feedback and we are working on implementing new systems to ensure that the experience of all our guests is a memorable one.

While there are elements of our resort you enjoyed and appreciated, I am disappointed that your overall experience wasn’t to your satisfaction, and I wish to reassure you that we strive to delight each and every guest, as you will notice from most of our previous guest comments.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back some day to the beautiful island of Bermuda.

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Coco Reef in August for our ten-year wedding anniversary. I searched and searched the island of Bermuda trying to find something affordable that would please us both (right on the beach for me, and close enough to get places for my husband). I was so happy to find Coco Reef. It was affordable, yet literally on top of one of the BEST beaches in the world. The day we arrived was a bit overcast and light rain, but warm. We walked from one end of Elbow Beach to the other and did not see another person. Of course, the next day when it was sunny - there were people, but it never felt overcrowded. It is a bit hard to get sun umbrellas at the resort, go early and don't be disappointed if there aren't any left. Mickey's next door is always happening. Front desk staff was very accommodating. The hotel could do more with their lovely bar/lounge area in the evenings. Overall, exactly what I needed!

Room Tip: Upper level. Ocean Views.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Greetings from Bermuda.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, and for choosing Coco Reef Bermuda to celebrate your 10th Anniversary.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us in our own Little Corner of Paradise, and hope that you return to visit us again one day, perhaps on another anniversary.

With Best Regards,

Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January 2013 during the Bermuda Triangle Challenge weekend. Most of the runners were staying at the Fairmont Southampton, as that hotel offered a special rate for participants. However, we wanted to make this more of a private "couple's weekend" and stay somewhere away from the pack, so I did the research and came across this little gem via Trip Advisor. We loved our stay here, in spite of a few drawbacks.

The pros:
*It was amazing having direct access to the beach. A lot of the area resorts seemed to be set kind of far away from the beach. Coco Reef rooms are steps away from the ocean, and in my book, this is worth any drawbacks!
*The food at the restaurant was phenomenal. I was a little worried that these amenities would be sub-par during the "off, off, off-season," but we were delighted with our meals.
*The bartender Darnell was also super cool and regaled us with interesting stories and folklore about Bermuda during our first night there. I think he should write a book!
*All of the front desk people were helpful. Vladimir gave us great advice about what to do and see, and even helped us get Sunday brunch reservations at a hot spot (the Four Ways Inn) after we failed at doing so ourselves.
*The bus was just a quick walk down the road.
*For the budget-conscious, a supermarket was also just right there (with a fully-stocked liquor/wine section). The rooms were all equipped with mini-fridges, which was awesome!
*Having free and reliable WI-FI was also a great treat!

The cons:
*I agree with the other reviewers that the illustrated mug shots (oops, I mean, portraits) of the women everywhere were a little spooky. But I was able to steer them out of my mind and focus on my husband and the amazing ocean views! After the first night, I hardly noticed them.
*On our last night in Bermuda, I did think I might have seen a nasty bug run under our mini fridge, but we are from New York City and this is hardly uncommon from our neck of the woods. It really didn't rattle us much. Even the most exclusive hotels in NYC get pests here and there.
*The last morning of our stay, I thought we would splurge and have breakfast in the hotel before we made the trek to the airport. I was surprised to learn that breakfast was included in our package all along. I had thought it was an extra charge. I would have happily indulged in an amazing breakfast every day had I known that at check-in. Instead, I was eating bananas and cereal from the local supermarket with in-room coffee every day. I guess this was fine since I was indulging so much during the trip (my waistline probably thanked me). But, it was vacation, and I would have loved having breakfast overlooking the ocean every day, especially on those mornings when my husband was out running and I was relaxing alone.
*We purchased a three-day bus pass at the front desk. In Bermuda, the busses basically stop running on Sundays (at least during the off, off, off-season). I would have liked knowing that at the time of purchase. Maybe it would have saved us a lot of trouble. We probably should have just purchased a two-day pass.

Overall, this is a great, chill place to stay in Bermuda (in spite of those cons I listed). The island is gorgeous, the people are great (including those running this hotel), and we loved the location of this place. We are already talking about returning to Bermuda, and we would definitely stay at the Coco Reef Resort again. My husband and I are budget travelers and we aren't interested in spending a fortune on our accommodations; we'd rather spend money on "experiences," such as the Dolphin Quest at the Royal Dockyard or getting another Rum Swizzle at the legendary Swizzle Inn. We wanted to see what Bermuda had to offer us and it meant more to us to be treated kindly and warmly in a relaxed environment than to live in the lap of pretentious luxury for a few nights. This isn't to say that Coco Reef wasn't perfectly nice. It was – and very relaxing.

Thanks to Coco Reef for making our first trip to Bermuda so memorable and enjoyable! Keep doing what you're doing and we hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 100 or 200 blocks - right on the water!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Greetings from Coco Reef Bermuda.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, and for your kind review of your time with us on the beautiful island of Bermuda.

I would also like to thank you personally for mentioning my team for their friendliness, and I will pass on your comments to Darnell and Vladimir. They will be thrilled that they helped to make your vacation special. Chef Michael and his team were also elated to hear that you really enjoyed their cuisine.

We are all delighted that you had such a fantastic time, and on behalf of all of us, I hope that you return to visit us again one day soon.

Best regards.

Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed at the CoCo Reef. I'd give it an average grade overall. Yes, the views were spectacular. However, they didn't turn the heat on in the pool until late in our stay. Cockroaches got into my room. And the spooky pictures throughout the hotel of the woman staring at you was just creepy and didn't make me feel comfortable. I didn't think the service from the front desk was all that terrific either.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean front rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and the opportunity to address your concerns. I am very sorry to learn that you did not thoroughly enjoy your experience at Coco Reef, however, your feedback is much appreciated.

While there are elements of our resort you enjoyed and appreciated, I am disappointed that your overall experience wasn’t to your satisfaction. I wish to reassure you that we strive to delight each and every guest, as you will notice from most of our guest comments.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back some day, to allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in Coco Reef Bermuda.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the wonderful Coco Reef hotel & resort- in January 2012.

I have plenty of good-excellent memories of my trip to Bermuda.

Firstly, the island it self really does OOZE Paradise like energies - and the Azure Blue water of Bermuda, are a sight to behold and are soo healing- especially, since I had gone there whilst working in cold Sweden( in -25c temperatures!)

Bermuda is very expensive by the way- mainly rich people hang out here, and us mere mortals only get to savour it's paradise like beauty and pure blue waters, for short periods at a time.

As for Coco Reef resort, it is right on the beach- which made it an awesome choice by and for, my self!
I chose an ocean-view room, which meant that I got the most amazing views of the SUN RISING OUT of the Atlantic ocean(Coco reef is on the east cost of Bermuda).

The coconut trees, ample palm trees, warm tropical sea breeze that blows in to your 1st floor room, the local birds who congregate on your balcony as you savour each moment of paradise - all.... add to the pleasure of staying here.

As for the service, it's very good- if not excellent!, the staff are very courteous, reasonably friendly, professional and certainly VERY helpful. They will help organize tours to local attractions, and more!
The food served at the Coco Reef restaurant too is pretty good quality- but a bit too European for my liking.

Breakfasts were included in my package, and I got some good meals-and was even able to have it packed, bring it to my room, sit on the balcony and have it whilst watching the blue waters.

The resort is a bit of a drive(bus drive) away from Hamilton- the capital of Bermuda. but that made it even more inviting to me, as I needed some privacy and less people around me, in order to relax and unwind.

The proximity of the hotel to various world-famous beaches, including horse-shoe bay, elbow beach etc- and some really pretty rock formations(some very large and high), not too far from the reef, made this MY PERFECT beach resort - ever!

the Resort is very very spacious, with a massive lounge, very comfy rooms with full air-conditioning, good bathrooms/toilets in rooms, massive beds and a refrigerator was in my room too- for my beers!

Overall, 9 out of 10 for Coco Reef resort! I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wishes to stay on or near the beach- for daily/quick access to the warm sands of Paradise Bermuda .

Thank you Coco Reef for looking after me with courtesy, friendliness and helpfulness.
A+++++++!!

Room Tip: There is NO official room service at this hotel. and during off-peak seasons, it gets very quiet at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
On behalf of the entire team at Coco Reef Bermuda, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and for your extremely kind rating of our resort.

It was our pleasure having you as a guest of Coco Reef Bermuda. We are thrilled you had a wonderful time and also had the opportunity to enjoy all that Bermuda has to offer.

I particularly appreciated the detail in your observations, and your honest opinion of our resort and Bermuda. I am so glad to hear that you really appreciated our location in a relaxed atmosphere, and that you found our staff to be pleasant and courteous. We believe our staff is truly one of our greatest assets and appreciate that you highlighted our Bermudian hospitality.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to “Bermuda’s Best Beach Resort”.

With regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Just back from 13 night stay at Coco Reef. Had room 115 right on the beach front with what had to be the best hotel location on Bermuda. If its a 18-30 resort your looking for this isn't it. But if you are looking for peace and quiet (it was out of season) and an idyllic setting with Elbow Beach virtually to yourself then this is the place to go. Ken and his team made us most welcome and strived to be as helpful as possible during our stay. Recommend the unlimited bus/ferry pass for getting around the island. Also walking the railway trail gives you an insight into life in Bermuda. Only criticisms would be Many of the local businesses were closed for the winter leaving a reduced choice in what to do where to eat etc....of Coco Reef as the learned taxi driver told us when we arrived, staying at the Coco Reef is like "visiting your old grandmother"....Climate was fair, mild 65-70 patchy sunshine and only rained one afternoon/evening. Would I go back to Bermuda, maybe? If I did I'd be more than happy to stay again at the Coco Reef.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and kind comments, we are all so pleased that you really enjoyed your holiday with us here at Coco Reef, "Bermuda's Best Beach Resort".

We hope that your return home to a totally different climate was not too shocking, and that you arrived home safely.

We are delighted that you mention you would stay with us again should you come back to Bermuda, and we hope that you return to "visit your old grandmother" again one day.

Best regards,

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

my wife and I just returned from spending 6 wonderful nights at Coco Reef resort,Bermuda.We were personally greeted by Ken Watson,the general manager,who wecomed us for our visit.Ken makes you feel at home and is genuinely interested in making your stay enjoyable.When we reached our room,we had a bottle of champagne,chilled waiting for us and a kind note welcoming us for the New Year!It is because of Ken and his terrific staff that we are repeat guests at Coco Reef!This was our first visit in the off season and the weather was wonderful,low 70's and sun for most of our stay.The quiet actually allows you to spend more time enjoying Bermuda.We had almost the entire length of Elbow Beach to ourselves for extended periods!For a great vacation in either the high or low season,I haighly recommend a stay at Coco Reef,with the best view on the island.All rooms have great ocean views and many are ocean front.Once you visit,you will want to come back.A relaxed,low key vacation;come listen to the sounds of the waves and the tree frogs!

Room Tip: The 100 or 200 block.Ask for the second floor.Views are better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ken W, General Manager at Coco Reef Resort Bermuda, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Greetings from all your dear friends at Coco Reef Bermuda, and thank you so much for your wonderful review and kind comments.

It was a real pleasure seeing you both again, and as always a delight for us all having you stay with us. It is always special for us when we have old friends like you here with us, as it is just like having family visiting for the holidays.

Everyone here joins me in thanking you for returning once again, and they all said that I must say hello to you and wish you all the best for 2013. Steve is now on his annual vacation in Jamaica, but before he left he asked me to remind you that you must come back and see us in the summer.

I look forward to welcoming you back to "Bermuda's Best Beach Resort" and I hope you both have a Wonderful New Year.

Fondest regards,

Ken.

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!