“Our First Trip To Bermuda” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Salt Kettle House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paget Parish
Salt Kettle House
Save Saved
You added Salt Kettle House to your Saves list
10 Salt Kettle Road, PG 01, Bermuda   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Paget Parish B&B and Inns
Coastal Maine
“Our First Trip To Bermuda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Salt Kettle House for eight nights the first week of July 2011. We booked our accommodations based on the recommendations we found here on Tripadvisor. As others have already written, I highly recommend the Salt Kettle House at the risk of never being able to book a room there in the future because of its increasing popularity. We were met at the airport and driven to Salt Kettle which enjoys harbor frontage across from Bermuda's capital Hamilton. The owner Hazel met us at registration and introduced us to her son John who was taking over the management of this family business. We had the use of a large air-conditioned double with private bath at the back of the house. We paid $85 per night per person. At our first Salt Kettle breakfast my wife and I were amazed at the large number of house guests we met with major multiple return visits here. One personable New Jersey couple have visited at this house for more than 25 consecutive years! This was more the rule than the exception with everyone we met at breakfast. We had no unfavorable experiences here and would book here again. We recommend the purchase of the Bermuda unlimited public transportation pass which you can purchase at the Hamilton ferry ticket office. Unlimited travel on all Bermuda public transportation (bus and ferry) for a week for about $45 per person. Bermuda motorbike rentals are somewhat pricey at about $60 per day. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Salt Kettle House and are counting the days until our return there next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paeonian Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Salt Kettle House was recommended to us by an administrative assistant at the Bermuda Institute off Ocean Sciences where our daughter had a summer internship. From tripadvisor, we knew that it had a eccentric reputation, which we found well-founded. The first people we met were a couple that had been visiting for 25 years. The second were to be married the next day in the garden; for him the first trip to Bermuda; for her, the first in 23 years!

My daughter loved the Tower Room; and bonded with Hazel, who regaled us stories of living in Africa for 30 years before retiring to Bermuda and opening this bed & breakfast. Now her sons and daughters visit frequently to help out.

We traveled mostly by water ferry (stop is 3 minute's from Hazel's) and bus, but all the taxi drivers knew the way and told us who among their relatives had worked for Hazel. (The "regulars" all rented motor scooters.)

Bermuda is just an easy 1-1/2 flight from the east coast , and so an economic alternative to the east coast beaches with more moderate weather. My wife plans on returning for a relaxing weekend with girlfriends.

My daughter is thinking more in terms of destination weddings among the luxurious gardens.

Room Tip: Our daughter loved the
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

First of all, Hazel, her family, and staff are worth the stay. They are extremely hospitable and kind hosts. Salt Kettle House had an amazing breakfast, nice guest accommodations, and the most relaxing hammock with a view of the harbor and Hamilton. We ended every night with a ferry ride back home, cooked dinner in our room, and ate on our porch. We would make dark n' stormys, turn on some jazz music, and enjoy the view.

When we make it back to Bermuda, we'll stay here. Hands down.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

10 days AT Salt Kettle was not enough for the people you meet both owners staff and guests. Hazel Lowe is the sweetest lady that when you meet her at introduction you just want to hug her and I did. I loved everything about the place the veiws both front and back the rooms stayed in starboard with my mom and sister plenty of room clean and bright. Great breakfast with great people every morning close to the ferry (2 min). I can tell you I will stay here many more times on my future vacations to Bermuda. Honestly we had the perfect time at the perfect place. Thank you hazel for everything it was great to meet you and i will see you next year.

• Stayed April 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I have had the great pleasure of staying at Hazel Lowe's Salt Kettle House for many years. It's in a beautiful part of the harbor side of the island facing an inlet in both back and front, and close to transportation to town, the beaches and beyond. Your stay will include a delicious home cooked breakfast. It's comfortable for the person who wants something more like home as opposed to a high maintenance luxury stay, for a more reasonable price. Truly like coming home. Over the years I have met many lovely people, and have seen how the homey ambiance, especially at the communal breakfast in the sitting room, creates a comfortable atmosphere for people from all walks of life. I always look forward to my stays at Salt Kettle, and will continue to do so!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My wife and l spent two wonderful weeks at Salt Kettle from March 19 to April 2. The weather was wonderful by Canadian Nova Scotia standards. ( 20-24 ) during the day and dipping down to 16c in the evening. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The kitchen/housekeeping staff were superb. We liked the fresh flowers in our Pinpoint A cottage. John Lowe rushing too and fro setting wood for a nice cheery fire to take the chill off in the evening. John and Hazel took us to the store to purchase our groceries. All the people we met were first class. We had many a laugh and an occasional Dark and Stormy. It was a very great and positive experience. Gordon and Jill Holstead. Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Every wonderful review you read here is correct. I have only a few notes to add that may be helpful.Remember that this is not a large hotel and, as such, does not provide the amenities that we have come to expect such as shampoo, lotions , etc. I had hoped for a box of tissue and wished I had purchased some on our stop at the market on our way in.Also, if your plan on cooking in, you may want to ask for a room with a regular stove. Some rooms that say they have a kitchen only have a 2 burner cook top of sorts, a fridge and a microwave. The ferry is indeed very close for those who don't want to chance the motorbikes.However the bus stop is quite a hike uphill or a ferry ride to Hamilton for the bus terminal. A transportation pass makes this transportation reasonable but be aware that a bus will not drop you off at the doorstep of many of the places you will want to go. All in all, Salt Kettle House is a charming and delightful place.The owner and staff are wonderful and we enjoyed meeting people from New York, Texas, Nova Scotia,New Hampshire,Pennsylvania, Canada and England. A lovely lounge for gathering and sharing a "Dark and Stormy" with new friends is what staying at a place like Salt Kettle House is all about !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Salt Kettle House? Share your experiences!