“Honeymoon at Elbow Beach - The Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Elbow Beach, Bermuda
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   60 South Shore Rd, PG 04, Bermuda   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
A TripAdvisor Member
“Honeymoon at Elbow Beach - The Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

My Husband and I stayed at the Elbow Beach for our Honeymoon. I had been to Bermuda before and stayed at Grotto Bay and we both loved Bermuda and Elbow Beach met all of our expectations and then some.
When we arrived we found out that the hotel upgraded us from a Beachfront Lanai located in the section of rooms called "Sea Grape" to an ocean view Premier Suite. Our room was #663 located in "Alamanda" and it was HUGE. Two rooms, two bathrooms, walk in closet and wonderful patio with quality chaise lounge and dining table where we had breakfast each morning. The decor of the room was clean and modern and fit the surroundings. Flat screen TV, wood floors, marble bath, white linens ceiling fans, exposed rafter ceiling and light colors all made the ocean view seem evern more soothing. Our room was a newly renovated room away from the Main Hotel. I think they have little golf carts that will pick you up from your room but I don'd mind walking - which you will definetly do alot of as it is a bit of a trek from the hotel to the beach. But the grounds are lovely and they have stairs and paths. There are more than 5 restaurants at the hotel so you really didn't have to leave at all but the City of Hamilton was only a five minute cab ride away. Breakfast at the Seahorse Grill is buffet ONLY and it is $24 a person - we just ordered room service most mornings and had coffee and ordered a la carte. The Beach is the most beutiful in Bermuda although I hear Horshoe Bay is great too. THe Pool was nice too and the Drinks at the Pool Bar were the best we had in terms of Pina Coladas and Rum Swizzles! Tea at the Verandah lounge was a treat as well as dinner at Lido down by the Beach. We did a two hour spa treatment in one of the couples spa suites which was amazing.
The hotel staff was quick resonding and friendly. There were only two things that happened during our stay that we felt bad about. We had some Bermudian Money- about $20 worth- in the room in plain site which we planned to take back home. Granted we should not have left it in plain site but we came back to find it was missing. The housekeeping and security took a report but the Hotel never responded until four days later when I had to call them to follow up. They only apologized and credited our account the $20. The amount of money was not the issue - $20 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spent for the week we were there. I was definitly expecting a better response from the Hotel management. So if you go don't leave any valuables out - use the safe they provide. The other thing that didn't sit well was the service at the Seahorse Grill. THe food was fresh and prepared well but the menu was set up very odd - two courses cost $43 and three courses cost $53 - it ends up that my Husband's steak cost less than my shrimp dish. Just very odd and the staff did not do a very good job of explaining how it worked. Overall, be aware that Elbow Beach is expensive. The room we were in probably goes for upwards of $700 a night but if you are looking for a quick getaway (Bermuda is only two hours from Boston) and don't mind spending some money then Elbow Beach is your place.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

My fiancee and I decided to get married at Elbow Beach. The ceremony was perfect because of the minister we chose, the weather and of course, because we are in love. The wedding coordinator though, was just terrible. Not only did she let some wedding details fall thru the cracks, but she ripped us off of over $1,000. When I was told that we would have a wedding coordinator that would handle all details from start to finish, I expected just that. After all, we spent about $15,000 with the resort between the event and the honeymoon. She misplaced our reception decorations that we had shipped to the hotel as well as overcharged us for the reception bill. When we confronted her about this, she simply denied a response. So now we are stuck with a large bill for something that we didn't consume. Many of my guests made comments about her lack on interest in making our wedding flow smooth. For the most part, my husband, my maid-of-honor and me played the rold of wedding coordinator during the ceremony and reception. My advice to anyone who wants to get married at Elbow Beach.....spend the money and hire an outside coordinator, or else your wedding may not end up as perfect as you hoped.

Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

We spent Labor Day 2005 at Elbow Beach and loved every minute. Our room was in the hotel and we had a great view. Although the room had not been entirely renovated, it was very attractive and spotlessly clean. All in all, we were happy and comfortable with our room. The food was consistently delicious at Mickey’s Grill and in the Seahorse Grill. The staff everywhere in the resort was very friendly and helpful. They were willing to help us and always greeted us. We had great service whether it was at the pool, beach or restaurant. Due to an injury, I could not walk the hill to and from the beach. The shuttle service was always available and there was virtually no wait. One has to remember that Bermuda is expensive and we found it more expensive than the Caribbean. We plan to return to Bermuda and would definitely stay at Elbow Beach. Since it is now a Mandarin Oriental property, improvements will continue.

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2005

Paid 572/night for a four star hotel. Was placed in a windowless bungalo with 1980s decor and a 1960s bathroom comparable to a mobile home bathroom. The ocean front view was really only ocean scent facing the back of another cement, dirty, windowless, flat roofed bungalo. To just get ice, drink, or a meal, a 1/4 mile walk up a 45 degree incline had to be undertaken. Ants had colonized the toilet and surrounding broken tiles. The patio furniture was white plastic. I can only recon the Elbow bungalo experience to summer camp.

Upon complaining to management, I was asked if I had any paperwork that validated that I had not gotten what I paid for. In fact the $85/night extra for the oceanfront room was not itemized on the final Expedia receipt/itenary. I did say I had paid money for a 4 star hotel and 4 stars were clearly written on my receipt. He did not argue with that.

The grounds and main hotel are admittedly beautiful. However, my husband and I moved to another hotel (Fairmont South Hampton) for the same price. Our room at the Fairmont was oceanfront, the decor and amenities were modern and beautiful, and the grounds were equally beautiful.

I wrote this same review for expedia customers but was not allowed to post it because I changed hotels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

My boyfriend and I got back from 5 days at the Elbow Beach Resort on 9/2. Had a great time and had nothing but positive experiences. We did not stay in the actual hotel, which I think is where most of the negative reviews are coming from. We stayed in one of the multi-unit cabanas. Easter Lily is the name of the building and we stayed in #797, an end unit across from the tennis courts.

We arrived at the hotel at 11:15 am and our room was ready. I was nervous about that with the negative reviews I read here. Everyone that works at the resort was VERY nice. The beach is the best in Bermuda and the Lido restaurant was fantastic. Had one meal at the Seahorse Grill... it was so-so and very small portions for the same prices as Lido.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we have already booked our honeymoon there next September!

The only negative I would say is that I do think this hotel was a bit overpriced for the type of room you get. Ours was recently renovated and for $500+/night it is very minimalist decor. You're definitely paying for the location and the beautiful beach. Just be prepared that the rooms are not extravagantly decorated. The shower had only one clear glass partition and the other side was completely open. Needless to say the bathroom was pretty wet outside of the shower every time we took a shower. Strange set up.

brooklyn, new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

we stayed at Elbow Beach, a family of 8, for a full week and were terribly disappointed in the quality of the rooms and service. The best thing about this resort is the beach itself. it is beautiful. as for the rooms, the floors were so dirty that i didn't want to take my shoes off until getting into bed. there stains everywhere, from the bedspread, to the floors, to the beatup tiles around the sink and tub. the grout needed to be redone. a simple measure that this 5 star hotel couldn't bother with in its supposedly renovated facility. the service was also more up to 3 star status. as a frequent traveller and guest at hotels like the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons, the Elbow Beach with its high prices and average quality isn't worth a second thought.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

after having read the very negative reviews prior to my trip......i had to laugh when we got to our room. i think we had the exact room that everyone else had and complained about. here's the difference....while i will admit that for the price, the room and hallway are "tired" and in desperate need of renovation....we've already made plans to return. forget the room for a moment, the hotel is lovely, the pool is awesome, the restaurants ( ate in most of them) were great and let's not foget that they have probably the nicest strtch of beach in bermuda. the place was very reminescent of "the fountainbleu" in miami or "the mount washington" in new hampshire. EXCEPT THIS WAS BERMUDA AND BESIDES THE ROOM THE PLACE IS PARADISE!!!. one thing i will say....i'm glad that i had read the negative reviews befroe we went because i was prepared. oh i also want to mention the service, everyone was so nice they couldn't do enough for us. they knew that we were there celebrating a "big" birthday of my husbands......on the first night....they left us a chocolate cake and a birthday card. they also have free internet in the lobby. feel free to e-mail me with questions

Been to Elbow Beach, Bermuda? Share your experiences!