I've waited a couple months before writing this review just so I'd have a chance to cool down a bit, but my god is the service at Newstead awful. I've stayed at the hotel about a half dozen times over the past few years, and while the service was fine at first, it's seriously gone way downhill in 2013. The hotel really doesn't seem to care about customer retention because the original owner has turned it over to the bank after defaulting on a loan, from what we were told, so there's really no incentive for management to keep guests happy.
A few specifics:
1. When we arrived, our in-suite ice machine was broken, so we asked if they could bring ice. The person we spoke to said the room service staff was "busy," so we'd have to get our own ice at the main hotel.
2. Around 1PM each day, the housekeeping staff gave us a "last call" for getting the room tidied up. If we didn't let them in right away, they wouldn't be cleaning anything that day. At 1PM.
3. After a 10-day stay, we were assigned a 1PM hotel shuttle to the airport. We didn't realize that this meant we'd need to check out completely by 11AM, though, as nobody informed us of this requirement. We got a very aggressive call right at 11AM demanding that we leave within 30 minutes. We weren't even packed yet. Then, about three minutes later the front desk manager called and threatened to charge us for an additional night if we weren't out of the room within 10 minutes! She said we could then wait in the lobby for nearly two hours until our shuttle. When we checked out, both the clerk and manager were incredibly rude and unhelpful. That's when the manager explained the ownership situation and more or less told us that they no longer care about customer service.
This ruined our otherwise excellent Bermuda trip. We used to go to Bermuda 2-3 times per year but now we're considering not returning at all ... Newstead has really become a terrible property.
- Also Known As:
- Newstead Belmont Hills Paget
- Hotel Newstead Belmont Hills
- Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel Bermuda/Paget Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in one of the world's most exclusive locales, the Newstead Belmont Hills is a rare find. With just 60 waterfront suites the Newstead Belmont Hills lavishes you with Bermuda's most coveted commodity: Elbow room. Meanwhile, our highly personal service reminds you that you've truly found your island home. Amenities include an 18-hole golf course, spa, two restaurants, hair salon, business centre, concierge, water shuttle, infinity pool, whirlpool, tennis courts, full kitchen in each suite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Splendia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.