“18 years makes a big difference” 4 of 5 stars

SUMMER IN BERMUDA
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
toronto
“18 years makes a big difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Having just returned from a second trip to Bermuda 18 years after the first, things have certainly changed. The Bermudian people are just as nice, polite, cheerful and helpful as before but the island has lost a lot of its charm. There is so much more traffic, not only cars but trucks and mopeds all seemingly going at a much faster pace.

The first time we were there we roamed the island on a moped wtih no worries, this time we managed 1/2hr and then we returned our rental and were left to use taxis and ferries.

We arrived at the hotel to an unexpected upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite. Very nice room with a full kitchen and a huge balcony. We ate lunch and dinner at Beau Rivage the first day, the food was excellent albeit somewhat expensive but to be expected for Bermuda.

Our only complaint was the breakfasts, we had booked the breakfast package not expecting to have the full kitchen in our room. Strangely the package was more expensive than a la carte and the menu very limited, seemed backwards, we cancelled the package and ate a la carte for the rest of the week.

Also tried the other hotel restaurant Blu where the food was excellent. Had great dinners at the Hogpenny and the Lobster Pot in Hamilton.

The Newstead has a private ferry that runs from the hotel to Hamilton, the schedule is limited so make sure of the times, but it's well worth using either way.

The hotel has a nice Infinity pool with its own pool bar.

We enjoyed the hotel and would certainly recommend it to anyone, we love the island but with not being able to rent a moped, getting around the island becomes limiting and the charm we remember from years ago is diminished.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Having read the reviews we were surprised by our experience of this hotel. It started badly and then failed to offer the relaxing break we were looking for. There was a mix up over the accomodation and what we originally booked was not available as they have a lot of co owners at this property and they take priority. We were offered an upgrade over looking the pool, great til you have been travelling for a full day and the wedding reception might as well be in your room! It was impossible to sleep until 12, which having travelled from the UK was 4 in the morning for us. There were another 2 weddings....this hotel likes weddings which is fine as long as you do too!! Beware of booking breakfast in advance the pre booked version consists largely of eggs, poached fried boiled, scrambled but eggs!! Every other item is charged for individually, and breakfast for two is around $70.
The odd thing is if you chose all the items on the plan it would come to the same cost, so why have two menu's it feels uncomfortable to be labelled like this,as this hotel is not a low budget option!
The hotel water shuttle stops at 11.20 each day and starts at 5.20 which seems geared for business commuters rather than vacationers wanting to fit in with ferry schedules in Hamilton. Infact the two don't work together, and a conventional taxi is needed for one way most days. There is no shuttle or commercial ferry service to Hamilton on Sundays of any description...fine if you are working!!
One day there was an awful smell of sewage in the room,and we reported it to the front desk. We received no feedback from them and the smell continued intermittently for the rest of our stay. Then the toilet overflowed in the middle of the night making a skating rink in the bathroom, again reported but no feedback.
All in all this hotel is hard work, there are some very helpful members of staff in particular the breakfast waitresses who are helpful and friendly but this is countered by a surly pool attendant who could be heard muttering ' clear up your own mess' when guests left the area. He also had a need to straighten the chairs etc into rigid lines as soon as some one moved...not the most relaxing environment.
This is an over rated hotel with delusions of grandeur and an eye on where the next dollar is coming from.
The location is superb, they are lucky to have it because without that natural advantage I am not sure what else is truly 5 star about this establishment.

Room Tip: Buy a time share room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
KSB084, Manager at Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out to complete this review.

On behalf of Newstead Belmont Hills Management and Staff, we would like to apologize for your unpleasant experience while vacationing with us. We aim to provide a high quality of service and are disappointed about the level of service you mentioned. With our product of hotel, catering to both fractional owners and hotel guest we try our best to meet all room requests and requirements promptly and efficiently. Our first priority is to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied and comfortable during their stay. The General Manager has also been made aware of your comments as well as addressed the departments and staff to ensure that this does not happen again.

Whilst you didn’t have the best time, we hope that we can welcome you back to Newstead when you next visit Bermuda, when you can experience us at our best. Please know that we value your feedback and they have not gone unaddressed.

Regards,

Newstead Belmont Hills Management
Tobago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed there with my teenage kids and it was a blast. They wanted to stay longer as the beautiful scene was great and the food out of this world. The best part of this was the pool for the kids. Even if there were a wedding there the friendly atmosphere was all in all the best in the world. I cannot say how much me and the kids enjoyed it. I am from Trinidad and Tobago and my country is beautiful with lots of hotels but I have to say our hotels need to take note of the quality of service and personality of this hotel. It was like everyone was the owner and was interested in your stay. I will recommend this hotel and we would be going there again.

Room Tip: Book early and make sure you ask for what you want
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We arrived in Bermuda to celebrate my wife's birthday. As soon as we cleared customs, our friendly driver spotted us and guided us to a waiting van for the complimentary shuttle ride to the Newstead. He introduced himself as Nigel, and it seemed half the island knew him as they exchanged waves and knowing honks along our drive. It was a great introduction to the island and to everyone's indefatigable friendliness.

Eric the bellman assisted us with our bags and took them to our room while we checked in at the all-glass main office, overlooking Hamilton Harbor. Our room, a suite, directly overlooked the bay with unobstructed views of Hamilton. Hungry from our flight, we wandered down to the pool bar and chatted up Charlie about a lunch item and some early adult island-specific refreshments. The Swizzle is one of his specialities and is highly recommended. It's kind of like a Long Island iced tea, however, so be careful how many you drink, especially if in close proximity to the pool. We ordered a sandwich with fries, and the staff split it up into two plates for us, without additional charge, and we enjoyed it by the infinity pool, talking with current guests. Charlie explained that about a third of the guests were like us--leisure travelers, a third there for business, and a third owners (of the fractional ownership variety for the resort). Everyone again was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Our room was comfortable, with views of the water while sitting up in bed. The spacious bathroom had louvered blinds by the tub/shower to allow for views outside as well. Because food is relatively expensive in Bermuda, we appreciated having a kitchenette available. Wireless internet was free and widespread throughout the resort, so we had a signal most everywhere. Our suite, 310, had abundant outdoor space around which to relax and view the water, complete with a pair of chairs and small table, and a pair of chaise lounges farther down the lawn.

One tip we got from an owner was the arrangement Newstead had with Coco Reef Resort for use of their private beach on Coco Beach. We took advantage of the free shuttle there and back over two days and loved it. Although the resort probably discourages this, we recommend snagging two of the lounge chair towels poolside before heading to the beach as they have a sleeve at the top to keep it in place on windy afternoons. Coco Beach supplies regular beach towels as well. We ate lunch there one day and at Mickey's next door another day--both were good, although Mickey's slapped us with a $6.50 split-plate charge.

There is also a complimentary ferry that crosses Hamilton Harbor several times daily, which is a perfect way to get there and back. It doesn't operate mid-day nor late at night, although Friday nights were better (because Bermudians generally toss off the week's work and make a grand party of it every week). The taxi ride back is approximately $12 including tip, if you're out and about later than the ferry runs. The ferry ride lasts approximately five minutes.

The only things that were slight irritants was the thermostat was somewhat difficult to understand how to use and we ended up waking in the morning feeling pretty chilly, and the pillows were a little flatter than we usually like. And having a dimmer switch in the bathroom would be a nice touch. And if you're particularly sensitive to light while sleeping you may want to cover up many of the room's electrical components. But those are niggling compared with the overwhelmingly positive experience we've had here. We'd come back in a heartbeat and recommend suite 310 in particular to anyone.

Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We have just spent a week at the Belmont Newstead and had a fantastic time. The best thing about the hotel are the staff who are exceptionally helpful and friendly and made our visit most enjoyable. Nohting was too much trouble.
Our accommodation was spotlessly clean and very well appointed.
The views across the ocean to Hamilton were great, especially in the evening.
I would definitely book again without hesitaiton and I will go again next year.

Room Tip: Our room 210 did not get much sun during the day .
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We knew it was a good sign when, several days before our scheduled arrival at the Newstead Belmont Hills, the hotel concierge telephoned us from Bermuda to confirm that a couple of special requests we had made via email (including transportation from the airport) were noted and taken care of. When our plane landed, a driver was waiting with our name on a placard. Our room was nicely decorated and impeccably clean. All the rooms have beautiful views of Hamilton Harbour. The hotel restaurant -- French, which is rare on the island -- was very good. Staff members at all levels -- manager, concierge, bell service, housekeeping -- were responsive and friendly. Not just the reserved politeness sometimes encountered in British-influenced environments, but more open and "real." (We found this to be a characteristic of Bermudian culture.) The fitness center is spacious and well-equipped. The hotel has no appreciable negatives from our perspective. Be aware that the hotel grounds are located separately from the golf course and beach, however, so you will need to take a short shuttle if you plan to use those facilities. Also, although crime seems to be relatively minor in Bermuda, I would give the same advice here as I do for most hotels anywhere: to minimize any possibility of a thief trying to get in through the sliding glass doors, consider avoiding ground-floor rooms when you make your reservation. Bottom line: we loved this place, and if / when we return to Bermuda, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Purchased a suite for my stay.
I was hosting a little get together with a few people that day.
I chose this location as I had attended some great suite parties at newstead in the past.

CONS

***Note: If you are under the age of 30, you may have a similar experience. As I got the impression that younger guests were expected to be "irresponsible & unruly" guests. I am far from that description, but sure did feel like I was being labelled as such.

Wasn't happy that the front desk got on my case before i even physically checked in the room , querying the amount of guests I was expecting, and informing me that I should not be having parties on the premises (she noticed all the groceries I had). After I explained it was not "that type of party" she retreated back to her post.

Not even 2 hours after I checked in the room, the front desk agent called my room to query whether RANDOM hotel guests which had simply walked passed the reception area were heading to my room. (i'm pretty sure I told her my get together was at 8pm. Check in was at 3p and she called me @5pm). Nevertheless, I was not happy and I have a strong feeling she does not question other guests with the same BS.

Included with the suite I stayed in, was an outdoor yard. The agent had also infomred me on the phone that I need to tell MY guests to stay off the grass! This is for a room I paid $500+ to be in - for one night. That pissed me off.

She then mentioned secuirty would be patrolling around my room (as standard procedure). Needless to say, that pissed me off too.

PROS

The room was beautiful.
The grass oustaide was lovely (even though I wasn't allowed to touch it).
My function was a blast.
And the shower gel smelled nice.

Would I stay there again? Yes - if I could avoid speaking to that particular front desk agent.

Room Tip: Book room with an agent over 30yrs old.
Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!