“Outstanding location andcharm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Watercolours

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warwick Parish
Watercolours
Harbour Road, Bermuda   |
“Outstanding location andcharm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011 via mobile

The location just feet from the harbor was a sight to wake to, blue water, views of Hamilton, nearby ferry access, simply perfect. Breakfasts were wonderful, the host most gracious, her art work beautiful. Quiet and comfortable, top notch accommodations.

• Stayed December 2010

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kittery Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My life partner and I have stayed at Watercolours many times over the past eight years, and have NEVER had a bad experience. In fact, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Bermuda.

Watercolours' two gorgeous guest rooms front a small, but inviting, pool and Hamilton Harbor. And owners Carole (a much-admired and collected Bermuda watercolorist) and Joe Holding, along with Annie, do a terrific job keeping the home and landscaping gorgeous, and the overall environment warm and friendly.

We look forward to returning again and again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Watercolours is a lovely & tasteful seafront property located on Harbour road , Warwick Parish. Its location is peaceful and quiet but is very handy for touring Bermuda. It has a prime and handy location for both ferry and bus transport to all parts of the Islands. Belmont & Darrell’s Wharf ferry services to the capital Hamilton are a very short walk from the accommodation (2 to 3 mines). If you want a slightly longer walk (10min s) you can walk to Middle Road for buses to Hamilton & Docklands Numbers 7 and 8.

Within walking distance, there are other amenities such as a Supermarket,
Pizza/Pastries shops, Golf course and Club.

Breakfast is continental & plentiful and has the special touch with Carole’s home made brands of preserves. If you need any assistance Annie is always helpful, also rooms are serviced daily by Annie.

Transfers to and from the airport can be arranged by Carole, however, you will have the responsibility to make payments to the driver personally.

We thank Carole and family for a lovely time in Bermuda, and we hope to visit Watercolours again sometime in the not too distance.

Room Tip: Tip. You can hire a scooter, which can be arranged through Carole, or if your prefer public transpor...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The location of this bed and breakfast is absolutely beautiful. It is a 15 minute ferry ride across the bay to bustling Hamilton. The house is very attractive but lacks the warmth and gregarious atmosphere that we have enjoyed at so many other B&Bs. There are two lovely double rooms available and it would appear that Annie takes care of running this side of things, baking and preparing breakfast each morning, cleaning the rooms and greeting people while the owner is very busy with her many other business interests. The breakfast is enjoyable and perfectly adequate rather than sumptuous as advertised. We agree with the other writer that all the notes are rather strange.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had a five-day stay at Watercolours recently. The house is gorgeous, its location on the water is amazing and the salt-water pool overlooking the bay is amazing. Further, it's price was pretty reasonable, in comparison to the hotels in the area. The continental breakfast was delicious -- they had some sort of whole grain cereal with cashews and macadamia nuts that was amazing -- and the nightly offering of Bermudan rum and mixers was nice, as well.

I would recommend Watercolours, except:

1) We almost never saw the owner, Carole. In five days, we saw her fewer than 10 minutes total. Everything is left up to Annie ("the help," as Nana -- see below -- refers to her). Annie was pleasant, but she, too, was pretty non-existent. So, despite the repeated suggestions to consult with Carole in the written materials all over the room (again, see below re: "The Rules"), there was no one with whom we could consult.

2) The RULES! When you check in and set your luggage down in the room, you are greeted with a three-page, front & back laminate list of rules. They are astounding, covering everything from tracking sand in to what to do with towels to how to latch doors. Furthermore, there are small laminated notes left all over the room. I felt like I was in a museum, in which I wasn't permitted to touch anything, with my mother standing over my shoulder. Granted, the place was clean as a whistle, so I imagine the rules help it stay that way.

3) NANA! The owner's mother lives in a mother-in-law sweet about 25 feet from one of the rooms (our room, as it were). This would be no problem, except that she's seemingly senile and regularly ventures down the hallway, calling out for help. The owner, Carole, just ignores her, letting Annie take care of her instead. A few times my fiancee asked if she could help Nana. It's a really sad situation. Whenever the poor woman needs something or gets confused, she opens the door and starts calling out for help (from Annie, mind you, or anyone that walks by). When she doesn't get an answer, that's when she starts rolling down the hallway in her wheelchair. It put us, as guests, in a really uncomfortable situation, about whether to say something or help her or just sit there. Of course, we couldn't say anything, because the owner was absent, but the point is that it was awkward.

Those three things didn't ruin our trip -- after all, it was Bermuda and we didn't spend all that much time in the bed-and-breakfast -- but they definitely make me hesitant to recommend Watercolours to anyone else. However, if you can put up with those things, then by all means, everything else was pretty darn good.

Room Tip: Get the room farther away from the dining room ... and Nana.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was a repeat visit to Watercolours and of all the places in the world I have traveled, this is the place I can see myself always returning again and again! Carole Holding is an extraordinary hostess who takes the already famous Bermudian hospitality to the next level. She is friendly, kind, gracious, helpful and attuned to her guests in every respect. From the moment we touched down at the airport, we were taken care of complete with arranged, personal escort meeting us, to the provision of meticulous guidelines to navigate cycle rentals, boating excursions, restaurant and shopping suggestions, etc. Watercolours is a beautiful setting with the warm feeling of visiting good friends yet we also had the utmost in privacy. Every little detail from the beautifully set table (complete with china, silver and cloth napkins to the homemade scones (delicious!) to the subtle, ambient classical music softly playing to the loveliest of artistic expressions (Carole is a celebrated artist) throughout the home, this place is a true treasure and delightful accommodation. The setting is absolutely divine, situated on Harbour Road with a wonderful view of Hamilton Harbour and Front Street only a short 1/2 block to the Ferry launch for easy access. We especially enjoyed the quiet, private poolside accommodation where we could take a leisurely swim day or night, watch the glorious sunset and, later, the magnificent full moon rise overhead while listening to the melodious tree frog's song. Of all the places I have visited and stayed, this one has my highest recommendation and blessing - no one will be disappointed!
Thank you, Carole, I look forward to my next visit.
Becky Vaughn - Birmingham, Alabama (U.S.A.)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in May. I was not sure whether I should write a review because of the particular circumstances during our stay which led to our early departure from the B&B. I have decided however that sharing our experience maybe helpful to potential guests, so here goes.

Firstly, I must confirm what everyone says about the cleanliness and generally impeccable maintenance of the premises. I should point out however that the location is not ideal either for the beaches down the island or for Hamilton, as it is situated midway between them. Access with ferry was limited during our stay which would have been a greater concern where we not in the habit of cabbing everywhere anyways.

now, to our early and unplanned departure. It so happened during our second night of stay that the guests in the next room were somehow locked out of their room. In order to get the attention of someone to come and open the door for them, they created such a rude and loud 'scene' ca. 2:00 am that we jumped out of our sleep thinking there was a home invasion!!!!! This went on for a rather long time during which we were trying to figure what exactly was going on and why on earth no one was answering the door while kicks and bangs and obscenities filled the otherwise charming night air of Bermuda. I think half the island must have heard this!!

needless to say this was far from the relaxing weekend getaway in Bermuda I had promised my wife.

anyways, the owner was very gracious the next morning when I told her that we could no longer stay here and even compensated the price of our ruined night. the damage was done however and my wife never got to I am not really faulting her because of our bad experience, excpet maybe for the looong time it took her to open the door. what if this actually WAS a home invasion?! now I dont know if that ever happens in Bermuda, but hey....

So, keep in mind that the quality of your time will depend to a great degree on a factor outside anyone's control: the quality of your next door neighbors. I have rated the place not considering this factor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Watercolours? Share your experiences!