My wife and I were looking for a relaxing time away to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, and that's exactly what we got here. Michael and Carol are gracious hosts, and Francisco's breakfasts and hard work (from the pool, which is beautiful and big, to the lawn to cleaning the rooms) were more than we could have asked for.
Unquestionably, I believe, the Granaway is the best value on what can be a pretty expensive island. Don't overlook the breakfasts. At other places, you pay A LOT more, and get nothing for it. In fact, they nickel and dime you. Not here.
We stayed in The Royals Room aka The Lavender Room. The bed was comfortable, the view of the harbor is serene, the bathroom was large, the shower water stayed warm (though you have to bring your own shampoo/conditioner). I only wish someone could pay me to stay in Bermuda!
We are already checking our calendar (and our budget) for when we'll be back, maybe this time with the kids.
The only thing that could get pricey here is the need for taxis, but that might be anywhere on the island. There is a ferry into Hamilton that is inexpensive that is about a third-of-a-mile walk, but it is along very busy Harbor Rd in front of the guest house. Though Bermudian drivers are aggressive, they are quite mindful of tourists. But you'll need a cab back at night when the ferry stops running. The bus is also an inexpensive way to get around, but it's also about four-tenths of a mile walk toward Middle Rd.
The BEST way to get around is on scooter. We took a double to fit both of us for about $180 for four days. It gave tremendous freedom to get around whenever you want. Francisco will set that up for you and call the company which will pick you up and drop you off. (Francisco will also - do the same for taxis, etc. So helpful.) The scooter takes some getting used to. You drive on the left. It can be a bit herky-jerky, you have to get a feel for how to smoothly make turns, and the island is very hilly and has lots of curves with drivers going twice as fast as you. The good news: The drivers are very good at avoiding you. They are aggressive, but not because of you (like the way they'd be in NY). They just pass you and keep going and don't seem to be annoyed.
Someone in an earlier post wrote about ants. There are ants, but they're everywhere in Bermuda - on cliffs overlooking the water or resorts (where you get nothing in addition) and cost twice, three times the price. What there weren't were mosquitoes. So ants vs. mosquitoes? I'll take the ants and a nice breeze. But go shopping at Lindo's and put your snacks in the fridge.
As a couple, I'd go back in a heartbeat and stay at Granaway - tomorrow if I were independently wealthy! We are considering bringing the kids, but then there goes the scooter option. With kids, it might be better to stay at the beach, but good luck with prices.
As for Bermuda more generally, Hamilton's not worth staying in. Go for a meal or two (at Hog Penny) or to bar hop, but the South shore and harbor are where it's at. And I wouldn't stay in Sandy's, the beaches just aren't nearly as nice as the South shore.
About Granaway, I just can't say enough about how great Carol and Michael were. They even took us out on their boat. A real bonus. It was like staying with family you actually like.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Granaway is a Bermudian bed and breakfast. The manor house was built in 1734 and is a registered historic property. There is a water front patio excellent for relaxing and watching the sunset or for swimming and snorkeling in the summer. The pool is set in a lush walled in garden area. There is a gate onto the Belmont Hills Golf Course. Breakfast is served in the dining room, in the garden or in your room if you prefer. Granaway has a central location in Warwick Parish and it is only a 5-10 minute walk to either the ferry or the bus. All rooms have a water view, cable TV and wireless access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Granaway Guest House & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Granaway Guest House & Cottages Hotel Warwick
- Granaway Guest House And Cottages
- Granaway Guest House & Cottages Bermuda/Warwick Parish