“Comfortable Home Away From Home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Granaway Guest House & Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warwick Parish
Granaway Guest House & Cottages
You added Granaway Guest House & Cottages to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Harbour Road | PO Box WK 533, WK BX, Bermuda   |
Lakeland, Minnesota
“Comfortable Home Away From Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A charming, comfortable old Bermuda home nestled amongst beautiful gardens, I stayed during the week between Christmas and New Year's 2012. While I never met the owners as they were on their holidays, the caretaker Francisco attended to my every need. The house sits on busy Harbour Road, and while there is road traffic noise, it settles down about 9-10pm. The grounds include several areas to sit and read or chat, an area for croquet, and a pool with seating. Across Harbour Road, Granaway has a wee gate that leads down to the water. Other guests swam in this area.There were several bookshelves loaded with books for guests to read.

My room was quite large, king-sized bed, washroom with shower (no shampoo or conditioner - bring your own), microwave, fridge, dishes, glassware, silverware, coffee pot, fairly large closet complete with two towels for the pool, small-sized older television, alarm clock radio with iPOD docking station, desk & chair, sofa & coffee table and another chair with sidetable. The bed was comfortable for me and the room clean. As it was in the lower part of the house, it did have a cooler feel to it. Two windows faced the water, and a couple of other windows faced the side of the property. All windows had shades or shutters to open or close for sunlight and two of the windows opened for fresh air. During my stay I did not need to use air conditioning or heat. My room was positioned under the main living room of the house which was not in use during my stay as the owners were not in residence. So I'm not able to speak to what it might have been like to have footsteps overhead. I will say that I did not hear noise from any of the other rooms in the house.

Breakfast was served promptly at 9am every morning in the dining area, or you could have it brought to your room. OJ, fresh made muffins, fresh fruit cocktails, eggs cooked various ways, toasts, coffee or tea - it was all lovingly prepared by Francisco and sometimes his girlfriend Annabelle would help. Maverick, the dog, monitors all of the comings & goings, and would often sit at my feet while I read in the gardens. Olive, the cat, will find your lap. Francisco made it clear that the animals are not allowed in the guest rooms.

The property is about a 10 minute walk to the closest ferry. I purchased a ferry/bus pass good for 7 days which helped save on always having to have exact change. The ferry will allow you to ride for free over to Hamilton to then buy your fare/pass. The one negative aspect about the ferry drop off is that you must walk on Harbour Road to get to & from the ferry dock, and this is a very busy narrow two lane road. While drivers are careful, and mirrors are plentiful to help with knowing what's coming around the corner, hug the walls as much as you can, especially during rush hours. I did not rent a scooter or bike during my stay, and relied completely on public transportation (so easy) and a taxi when I brought groceries back to my room. (and of course, taxis to & from the airport)

You can also walk about 10 minute up the hill behind the guest house to find the closest bus stop (at a school) that will take you either toward Hamilton or toward the Dockyards.

I enjoyed my stay at the Granaway - it was quiet & relaxing, and Francisco was a great help in terms of things to do and transportation needs. The house was comfortable and a pleasant home away from home. I would definately consider staying there again and would recommend it to anyone looking for this kind of stay.

Room Tip: Remember, this house is around 300 years old. I did get a sneak peak at the other rooms while they w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

On a business trip for few nights and a regular business visitor of Bermuda, I decided to try something different from the corporate hotels to appreciate more the Bermuda experience. The place was recommended by colleagues who live on the island and it definetely exceeded my expectations. The house is simply stunning, nearly 300 years old and all is about details: the room decor (with modern wifi and TV), the breakfast set and food served in the master living room of the house with a view on the ocean, homemade muffins, the cute cat and dog, the beautiful house grounds. I traveled into Hamilton to go to work by ferry (Belmont ferry stop is not far away and the walk in the morning just sets you in a good mood and a USD3.25 ride by ferry make the travel as cost efficient as it can be - make sure you have exact cash). The owners and their staff are very attentive, though descreet. A real "home" feel, class and quiet for those not wanting to stay with the crowds. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can choose to stay in the separate cottage (beautiful with own garden and view of the ocena) or...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our 4th trip to Bermuda but the fist time we stayed on land. What a great vacation!! Bermuda remains safe, clean and utterly relaxing. The weather was fabulous, the water was refreshing and the beauty of the land and sea scapes never ends.

We searched the internet to find places to stay and became enchanted by the Granaway Guest House. We liked the central location. We were intrigued by the age of the home. There were lots and lots of positive reviews. So, we booked it.

If you are looking for a modern, luxurious resort with lots of amenities and constant activities then you are not suited for Granaway. However, if you are looking for a reasonable getaway location with unique ambiance, delightful conversation, open and caring attention and don't mind doing a bit of walking then nothing can beat Michael and Carol Ashton's wonderful home.

Each succesive Breakfast topped the one from the day before. The location has a beautiful view of the sound. The back yard garden and the pool are excellent. The harbor-side dock offers the best sunsets and a great place to swim and float. The bus and the ferry stop very nearby. Your hosts are exceedingly accomodating often offering a ride to the beach in the morning, allowing occassional use of the main kitchen and the back yard grill. Their right-hand-man, Francisco, is extremely attentive, making me an early press of coffee each morning as I sat on the balcony and read before the other guests arrived for breakfast.

Did I mention Olive and Maverick? As with most domesticated cats, if you don't want her near you Olive will find your lap. Maverick is always on the job making sure all is well. He's a great companion and loves getting his pets.

Some reviews mention road noise and mustiness in the downstairs rooms. I cannot argue, indeed this can be the case. The road noise begins to recede in ones mind after the first day of relaxing and the mustiness is a nartural by-product of a home of this age in this sub-tropical setting. I've experienced worse in modern hotels in places like Puerto Vallarta and even on Oahu. Pump up the air conditioning a bit to mitigate the problem..

We would definitely call Granaway our home-away-from-home when we return to Bermuda again.

Room Tip: The Cottage is great, and more private if you want to be more self sustaining. Of the rooms in the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I traveled solo to visite my friendsin bermuda i stayed at granaway in harbor road for 7 days i loved it so much i enjoyed breakfast in bed with the view of hamilton in my window , swiming in the pool and sitting in the garden , i dont like pets but their doggie is so adorable i miss him so much oxoxox, my favoriate part is the sound of little frogs night time :) u dont hear that in new york ;)

i recommend granaway .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I recently had a wonderful stay at this fantastic guest house (we stayed in the cottage where we could use the kitchen to make local treats such as Bermuda Rum Cake and Bermuda Lemon cake - the latter recipe is on the cutting board on the wall!)

How we made room for anything to eat after the fantastic breakfasts (thanks Francisco!) I'll never know but we managed anyway...

Michael and Carol are the perfect hosts and go out of their way to make sure you have everything that you need for your stay and can help you organise anything that you want to during your stay - they really went out of their way for us.

We really hope to make a trip back their soon and can't recommend it highly enough.

If you are going to Bermuda and planning on staying here we are very jealous of you!

Laura and Francois Lepeltier

Room Tip: We had the cottage - quiet and peaceful with our own garden.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We recently stayed at Granaway in July 2012. It truly was Home away from Home! The grounds were beautiful and loved the pool. Enjoyed the peace and quiet and not the hustle & bustle of cruising to Bermuda as we had done several times. It's location was perfect to get to either side of the island. It also has a little gate that leads out to the 17th hole of Belmont Hills Golf Course. So we enjoyed walks in the am and my husband played golf one am. Enjoyed the breakfast every morning & meeting the other guests who were staying in the house. Really liked the fact that you had your own bathroom, fridge & microwave. Made staying on the island affordable foodwise. It even came equipped with Maverick the dog and Oilve the Cat. It truly was one of our best visits to Bermuda - what a find. We are planning on returning next year with our sons and their wives we loved it so much!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great - harbor views. There also is a cottage you can rent with a kitchen if o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed 2 nights while waiting for an apartment at Greenbank (all in the family). The single regret is that it should have been longer! A beautiful room overlooking Hamilton Harbor ... grounds that rival the Botanical Gardens with a pool. My personal highlight was using the Ashton's kitchen (with their gracious consent) to prepare Zuppa di Pesce from a recipe I picked up for fish stew in Amalfi ... all in all a magic visit!

• Stayed August 2012
Grotto Bay Beach Resort
Grotto Bay Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
4.0 of 5 stars 1,695 reviews

Been to Granaway Guest House & Cottages? Share your experiences!