“ALMOST Perfect....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Hamilton
Randolph, New Jersey
“ALMOST Perfect....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We spent the Xmas weekend at the Fairmont Hamitlon in Bermuda. I REALLY wanted to rate this hotel 5 stars. Let me first explain what I loved about it:

Excellent Service - the staff was extremely courteous and professional
Location Location Location - perfectly situated in the heart of Hamilton, literally a 5 minute walk to all the shops and restaurants downtown
Cleanliness - the hotel was kept up very well

Now, the reason I couldn't give this an 'excellent/5 star rating' is because the walls are extremely thin. We could hear everything going on in the adjacent rooms, as well as noise from the hallway, making sleeping conditions rather difficult. We were in the Bermudian wing, which is the newly renovated wing. It seems that when the wing was constructed, they didn't use soundproof material or whatever the standard is for hotels to block out noise and sound.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting Bermuda. However, I would caution the noise from the room.

If you find this post helpful, please indicate so :)

Room Tip: Rooms in the Bermudian wing are extremely noisy. I'd recommend asking the front desk about sugg...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreanneBoden, Manager at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I appreciate you sharing your experience in this forum. Thank you for your nice comments about our high level of service. I will make sure I share them with our colleagues. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced with noise. I do hope that you will not let this stay put you off from returning to The Fairmont Hamilton Princess.

AB

924 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are looking for the typical 5 Star Fairmont experience, this IS NOT the place to go. It's not a dump, but definitely not worthy of being flagged as a Fairmont. Stay at the Fairmont Southampton instead and take the ferry back and forth to Hamilton. The Princess is dated and service is lacking to nonexistent. It was a waste of time to try calling the front desk, since no one ever answered - based on other reviews, I guess this is common and apparently the issues never really get addressed by management. In looking at previous reviews, it seems many of the guests have had the same issues and receive the same comments from management yet nothing has improved. We did as little as possible at the hotel itself since you have to wait in the check-in line to ask questions/directions. There is no doorman and the concierge desk was unmanned the entire time we were there. We are President's Club members and asked if we could upgrade but were told that the Gold Level was closed for the season, whatever that means, even though "Fairmont Gold" signs were displayed at the front door and in the lobby. One of the few positive things I can say is that the location is good for dining in Hamilton with many good restaurants close by. Wi-fi is free if you are a President's Club member, but the service/connection is sketchy. I had a difficult time staying connected. Use the direct connection, it seems to work better.
We checked in during tea time and decided to go over for tea and relax. Bad idea. We were seated next to a mother with several out of control children, all under the age of 6, who threw screaming tantrums any time they didn't get their way - all the while Dad was seated at the bar ignoring the circus. We asked to be moved in order to have a conversation without trying to shout over them. After finishing their snacks and drinks, they finally left. As a parting gift to the rest of us still there, one of the boys pulled down his pants and peed in the coy pond that all our tables overlooked. I guess better that than relieving himself on one of the table legs in the restaurant. :) Incidentally, the selections for Tea are not "all that" and not really worth the effort if there are other things you are out doing. Go have tapas and cocktails at Mickey's at Elbow Beach. You won't be disappointed.
As others have mentioned, there is a $25 "gratuity" charge per day that will appear on your portfolio when you check out. There is no signage advising you of this nor were we told about it when we arrived. The fee is supposedly going for gratuities for housekeeping and bell service. When we asked about this fee at checkout, we were told this is standard for all Fairmont properties worldwide. This is absolutely not the case. I had never heard of this fee, nor have ever been charged a "gratuity fee" at any Fairmont I have ever stayed in. I called Fairmont Corp. today and was told this fee is only charged by a few of their resort properties but is not the norm. As an aside, I have no issue with the fee in and of itself, but would have liked to have been informed about this prior to tipping staff generously during my stay.
We were given a room in the Bermudiana House. We found the room a bit dated, even though we were told the rooms were renovated in 2008. We could hear the people in the room next door and above us. The drapery rod was damaged and our shower door would not stay closed nor would the shower head stay in place. Despite calls to the front desk - which takes forever to get anyone to answer - the issue was never addressed. We just took extra towels off the housekeeping cart in the hall and placed them on the bathroom floor. Calls to front desk for regular coffee went unanswered. I ended up going down there and asking for it, only to be told I had to get it from housekeeping. I explained we were going to be getting ready to go out in a bit and was assured someone would be there momentarily with coffee for the machine. It arrived, over an hour later. Fortunately, the restaurant let us move our lunch reservation back.

Room Tip: The Bermudiana House is apparently the better place to be. We were told "Fairmont Gold" c...
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went for our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed on the Fairmont Gold floor. Not that much more money and well worth it for the great breakfast, happy hour with hot eats, and the honor bar.
The staff is top notch and if you get a view of the harbor you cant beat it. Be sure to ride the free ferry over to Southampton and enjoy the beach and all its offerings there. All in all, the nicest place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Go for the gold!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed for 3 days with my wife and we really enjoyed our stay here.

We had a "marina" view room in the Bermudiana House on the second floor. Be mindful when booking because you might get a "garden" view room when in all reality you want to see water. After all, the Hotel is surrounded with it and there is certainly something nice about seeing the ocean when you open your curtains in the morning!!!

The room was a good size, with a desk and a lounge chair. The TV was very large and there were about 25 channels.

In the wardrobe there were a couple of robes, a safe and iron / board. There were only a limited number of coat hangers though, which didn't really go down well as we had lots of clothes that needed hanging.

Although there was a fully stocked fridge and a coffee making machine (Green Mountain Coffee) I always feel aggrieved when you have to pay $6 for water. I don't drink coffee and can't see why if that is complimentary, why isn't the water?

The bathroom contained a large shower, but no bath and even though I wasn't a fan of the pebbles on the floor, they were passable for 3 days.... One thing I didn't much care for was the fact the room fogged up quickly and in a hotel of this standing in this location I would have expected the mirror to have a de-fogger. I also found the "hot" tap on the sink to go against the trades description act as it should have been known as the "tepid" tap. (There were no such issues with regards the shower.....)

Also in the bathroom were a hair dryer and a magnifying mirror. The toiletries were good, but would have really liked a mouthwash as well. No complaints though.

The bed was incredibly comfortable, and warm! - I had to kick off the duvet in the night due to overheating.

Was not a fan of the fact you have to pay $13.95 per day for internet access.

We had drinks and food in the main bar and the service was very good. In reality, the service across the hotel was first rate. Everyone was friendly and had a smile on their faces. When we got there our room wasn't ready so we were given vouchers for a free cocktail each which was incredibly nice. Our room was ready only a short while later.

The breakfast ($29.95) was buffet style and had plenty of choice.

The grounds are lovely, a koi pond and two swimming pools - one saltwater. I used the other one and found it to be a great temperature. Both pools are quite large. There is also a little putting green on the grounds too. There are lots of chairs for you to sit and watch the boats in the harbour go by and to waste time in the sun!

Only a few minutes walk to the centre of Hamilton / the ferry port, the location is excellent.

I believe the hotel has a free ferry shuttle service to its sister hotel in Southampton (which has a par 3 golf course) and is by the beach. You can charge to your room from each of the hotels.

I really enjoyed our time there and wouldn't hesitate to either stay there again, or recommend the hotel to a friend.

The hotel has a little shopping alley / arcade as well - with clothes, coffee shop, art dealer, jeweller and a couple of other small stores.

There is also a 24 hour business room (not used) a gym (also not used) and a spa (again, not used....)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view, not a garden one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AndreanneBoden, Manager at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your great comments. The readers will truly appreciate that you described everything in such detail. I am glad you covered almost everything and it is a pleasure to know that your stay was memorable. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future. Regards, AB
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on 11/28. It was our first trip to Bermuda, and we were very excited. Our room was at the Bermudiana House, and supposed to have either harbor view or bay view, instead our room was located behind the elevator shaft and facing hotel courtyard. The room description was deceiving, and we had to change the room to across the hall way. Because we have a 2 year old child, it wasn't easy to move!! For the price we booked at, the room should have been better than that "noisy & no-view" room. Other than this disappointment, we liked the hotel. Location is great, and we enjoyed walking around the town of Hamilton. Because this hotel is used for business a lot, we felt attention from the hotel to a small family like us was somewhat minimum. We liked the hotel facility such as ferry service to the sister property the Fairmont Southampton. It was also very nice to walk around the hotel - they had a great Koi pond which our child enjoyed a lot. We don't mind staying here again, however we'll probably book the gold level next time.

Room Tip: Gold level should be better than any other rooms, and due to the risk of getting bad room like ours...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Amesbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family has been coming to Bermuda for over 40 years. We stay at the Hamilton Princess (now Fairmont). The location is wonderful in that it is in downtown Hamilton, near the ferries, shops or a short walk to the bus station. It is on the harbor and has a boat that goes back and forth between the Hamilton and Southampton Princess, so you can spend a day at the beach. The staff is amazing and the food is wonderful. Some rooms are beginning to get a little outdated, but this is a Bermuda gem. There is a spa on site, a few local shops and then the fresh water and salt water pools.

Room Tip: We like to stay in the hotel wing that has the 2 room suites...the Pitts Bay wing? You have a bedro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Very pretty hotel in a great location, if you are looking to stay in Hamilton, where there is much to do. This was a girl’s trip and we had a great time despite the horrid weather. You have to book a Gold room. It is well worth the extra cost and the food presentations are lovely and quite bountiful. We were able to fill up at breakfast and then just snack throughout the day until we went out at night in town for dinner. So many fine restaurants to choose from in Hamilton. And yes, a little pricey, but we live in NY and are used to this. The food is top quality. The food and drinks in the hotel bar were good as well and the atmosphere was lively. The service in the Gold Lounge was fabulous as well and the concierge lined up all our dinner reservations quite efficiently.

I did check out a basic room in the old wing when I was there, and I was not impressed. It felt like a cheap motel. I would not be happy paying $300 a night for that. If you can’t afford the Gold, upgrade to a room in the newer wing. It is well worth it.

All in all, Bermuda was great as a weekend get-away. Great food, very nice hotel with great service and very safe feeling even late at night. The nightlife is decent too and there are cute International men there. Always a plus! I will be going back when it warms up again and will hopefully have better weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your nice comments. I was delighted to learn that your entire experience on Fairmont Gold was so enjoyable and that you had a truly memorable stay with your girlfriends. I am pleased to confirm that the Poinciana wing rooms will be renovated in the next few months to bring them in line with our other accomodations. I hope we will see you again soon! Regards, AB

Been to The Fairmont Hamilton Princess? Share your experiences!