“The Most Beautiful Place I Have Ever Stayed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. George's Club

You added The St. George's Club to your Saves list
The St. George's Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Rose Hill | Located in World Heritige Site, St. George GE05, Bermuda   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in St. George
Richmond, Virginia
“The Most Beautiful Place I Have Ever Stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I felt like we had hit the lottery when we arrived at The St. George's Club in Bermuda. We were lucky enough to stay in Unit 100 which is the original unit at the Club.
The view was utterly amazing and the unit was terrific! The kitchen was equipped with full size appliances for cooking some of our meals at home. There is also a combination dining and living room area as well right off the kitchen. The unit is the only "keyed" unit on the property as it's the original unit. After one or two tries, we all got the hang of how to open the door without any problem (just jiggle it a little to the right, it wasn't difficult.) The unit was obviously freshly spiffed up with comfy furniture, a beautiful dining room table and lots of outdoor furniture too.
There were five of us with my mom and dad in the first floor bedroom and my two college age daughters and I in the top bedroom. We brought a single blow up mattress to use for the third person although we could have used the fold out sofa. The place was so well insulated that we couldn't ever hear anyone from one floor to the other. The second floor bathroom was huge, about the same size as the bedroom itself and opened up to the bedroom. The toilet and shower were in separate alcoves off this area. The bedroom had a nice balcony (with a $10 million view). We put the air mattress in the bathroom and still had plenty of room to walk around in there. The jacuzzi tub was awesome and had a window next to it with that great view! We celebrated my daughter's 18th birthday at the club with a wonderful dinner and a champagne toast that they provided.
The unit is located right at the top of the stairs that lead down into the center of St. George. In the backyard are the five flagpoles. The backyard area is open to the public with a bench so it was important to shut the shades at night.
Helpful Hints:
1. Get the buss pass, it covers ferries too.
2. Groceries are 75%-100% higher than the US so bring some staples with you.
3. We grocery shopped at The Market Place in Hamilton and ate breakfast and usually one other meal in each day.
4. Same kind of price difference in restaurants as well. 75%-100% higher than you would expect here for the same food. It's the price you pay for the Bermuda experience so don't complain. There is no sales tax but tipping is expected, just like in the US.
5. Talk to the locals, especially the kids. They are all so very nice and want to tell you about the island and hear about where you are from. We had great conversations on the buses.
6. Eat the Bermuda Fish Chowder. It is brown (don't be surprised), it is fabulous and it is different at every restaurant.
7. The Grotto Bay Beach Club (first stop over the long bridge as you are leaving St. George) is worth a trip or two. They have a $15 pp buffet lunch every day (Sunday it's $35+ but I heard it's worth it) with a great salad bar, soup, a couple of meat choices and quite a few dessert choices. You can also go into their cave for free (9am - 5pm). BRING A BATHING SUIT AND SWIM IN THE CAVE! There is a dock and a ladder. Yes, it's freezing cold, all year long but where else will you ever have the chance to do that? We spent the afternoon there for my daughter's 20th birthday and the waitstaff sang to her and brought her a piece of cake with a candle. Awesome!
8. We all enjoyed The Picked Onion restaurant on Front Street in Hamilton as well as the Hogge Penny Pub in Hamilton. Wong's Chinese just below the Club and across from the bus stop is very good and reasonable
9. Buses 11 and 12 are your best bet for getting into Hamilton. Sit on the driver's side on the way into Hamilton and the opposite side on the way back for the best view.
10. The Aquarium and Zoo is well worth the $10. It is in "Flatts", about 1/2 way to Hamilton from St. George.
11. Nearly everything is closed on Sundays. Don't be surprised.
If you are looking for a brand spanking new place with 21st century amenities then you will be unhappy at the St. George's Club. This place is beautifully elegant in the Old School way that just is not found in new developments. One needs to appreciate it's uniqueness and the Bermudian spirit that just invades the place. That's about it, I think although i could go on all day. We had a Bermudiful time and can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and my wife spent one week in this hotel 3 weeks ago.
We found the hotel to be very well located, less than 5 min. walk from St. George's center. On top of a hill, it also profits from a good view over St. George.
The apartment was clean, quiet, comfortable and spacy. Good TV and kitchen also!
The only downside was that some of the staff didn't put much effort in being helpful. Maybe this was because it was opening week for them...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Fla.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

It's said that in Hollywood, actresses dread middle age. It means that they are no longer the sexy and irresistible starlet and it's years before they can play the role of the grande dame. Truth be told, St. George's Club is definitely in middle age. Its wrinkles, uh, flaws are showing and the club hasn't yet tried to minimize those flaws.

My wife and I recently returned from a week at the Club and couldn't believe the state of the unit. It was a two-bedroom, two-bath.

Problems began at check-in, when the representative said that our unit (No. 100) was one of the original models and because of that, we had a traditional key to the unit. That sounded quaint. Instead, it was a hassle each and every time that we entered or left the unit. It probably took an average of 45-60 seconds to find the one spot on the lock that would accept the key. I felt like a safe cracker trying to pick a lock.

Once we were finally in the unit, I thought the layout was fine. The master bedroom and bath were upstairs and the second bedroom and bath were downstairs, just off the combo kitchen/living room. While the layout was mostly comfortable, the love seat was atrocious. By the end of the week, you couldn't have paid me to sit there anymore.

Upstairs, the bedroom was spacious, but disappointing. (I will admit, though, that I loved the bed.) I lived through the 70s once, and the layout of the elevated bath area almost made me look for the disco ball. My wife refused to use that area. She said it made her feel like she was on display.

Oh, and did I mention that sunrise was slightly before 7 a.m.? How do I know that? It's because the windows face due east and there's no shade in the oversized bathroom window. Every morning, we felt like that there was a spotlight shining in to wake us up.

The bedroom and bath downstairs was no better. It was smaller and for some reason, had no ceiling fan, so it always felt stuffy.

Most disappointing, though, was just the physical condition of the unit. One of the bathroom doors had warped and rotting wood. In the shower, you could see how they tried to hide a square hole with rounded fixtures. Oh, and when we got there, there was a note on the living room windows saying "Windows broken. Do not open." I wonder how long that note has been there. While we were there, no one came to fix the windows and I have a feeling that those windows will remain broken a long time. In fact, if we return next year, I get the impression that those windows would still be broken.

One last thing I must mention. The Club is on a hill. There are stairs to go down into the town, but let me tell you. After a day of walking through town, that climb back up can be exhausting. My in-laws had originally thought about going on vacation with us, but once there, we kept saying that we were glad that they didn't come. My mother-in-law could never have traveled up and down the hill. If anyone in your family has trouble walking, this location may not be right for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in Unit 100, which is adjacent to five tall flagpoles. When the wind kicks up, you can hea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JohnKyle, Manager at The St. George's Club, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your input we do appreciate all feedback. Cottage 100 is the original unit and it looking decidedly dated. We plan on changing that in 2013. Several items that were fitted in the other units, e.g. extractor fan in lower bathroom, were not in the show unit. In fact it is a completely different layout than the other two-bedroom units. We have a plan in place to update it when we close for renovations in January and the windows are being replaced. Unfortunely we could not do it before then as the unit is fully occupied throughout the year. We will look carefully at all your points and ensure that we install our new standard window blind so no one else thinks they are in the spotlight! We hope you do return next year and if you do we would be delighted to show you the unit if you are not staying there. We are sure you will see the difference.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our visit to Bermuda is a highlight of our year. We just love our cottage at St. George's Club. St. George's is an amazing part of the island - it maintains its historic character and charm. One of my favorite spots in the world is the Club's private beach. Nothing can compare. I also love Blackbeard's restaurant. Everything feels so exclusive yet comfortable. We also love to take the ferry to Hamilton's and the Dockyards. Counting the weeks until our next visit!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Nothing can beat the friendly people and relaxing atmosphere of Bermuda it takes us less time to fly there from NY then it does to go through security from JFK. This is our 8th year in Bermuda that speaks for it self. The nice thing is when we stay at the club we have the freedom to BBQ overlooking the ocean or going to any of the wonderful restaurants. Our favorite thing is to take the complementary shuttle (that the club offers) and got to tobacco bay or Achilles bay to snorkel and relax on the beach, then head up to Black beards have a few drinks and have lunch in what is one of the best views on the earth. What is better is that we have a week on the island. All of the cottages are clean and comfortable. What more can you ask for .

Room Tip: All the rooms have a wonderful view but I like ours the best overlooking St Georges
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had an amazing vacation. Everyone is so friendly. We missed our flight to Bermuda and Dee Dee at the front desk was very gracious to accomodate us. Our room was beautiful especially the view. We could see the lighthouse. No pressure for sales. Go see Stan the man in the restaurant he is the entertainer, very sweet man. I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. The rooms have ants which is normal for the islands, just let the fr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Grove, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

St. Georges Club was a great place to stay.

Close to the airport so taxi was reasonable - cost $15 for four of us. Greeted by Dee Dee as the taxi dropped us off at the front. She tagged our bags and helped us with checkin. Bags were brought to our room within 15 minutes. Free champagne on Saturdays in the on-site restaurant. Room was great. I felt the kitchen was better stocked than most other timeshares we've stayed in such as there were large plastic mixing bowls with lids that I used to store left over food.

We were visited by roosters and had a fun time feeding them - even though there is a sign that says don't feed the chickens or cats :-) The second day the roosters were chased off by the three cats that visited us every day. Fed them too and loved it. My husband wasn't too thrilled that I sent him off to the grocery store to buy cat food.

Walking to town is steep steps or hills but we are young and didn't mind it. We did take advantage of the free shuttle too when my mom was going with us. Dave or Ryan are the drivers and were super nice. After dinner at a restaurant or at the grocery store you just ask them to call St. Georges Club to pick you up.

I was not thrilled that the resort mandates $60 per peson in the Griffins restaurant and you are charged this when you check in. However after going there - the food and service were excellent. I was so pleasantly surprised at how great the food was. We had local lobster, fish, chicken, lobster roll. All delicious.

The place is well kept and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grotto Bay Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
4.0 of 5 stars 1,707 reviews
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to The St. George's Club? Share your experiences!