“The Most Beautiful Place I Have Ever Stayed!” 5 of 5 stars

The St. George's Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Rose Hill, St. George GE05, Bermuda   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in St. George
Richmond, Virginia
“The Most Beautiful Place I Have Ever Stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I felt like we had hit the lottery when we arrived at The St. George's Club in Bermuda. We were lucky enough to stay in Unit 100 which is the original unit at the Club.
The view was utterly amazing and the unit was terrific! The kitchen was equipped with full size appliances for cooking some of our meals at home. There is also a combination dining and living room area as well right off the kitchen. The unit is the only "keyed" unit on the property as it's the original unit. After one or two tries, we all got the hang of how to open the door without any problem (just jiggle it a little to the right, it wasn't difficult.) The unit was obviously freshly spiffed up with comfy furniture, a beautiful dining room table and lots of outdoor furniture too.
There were five of us with my mom and dad in the first floor bedroom and my two college age daughters and I in the top bedroom. We brought a single blow up mattress to use for the third person although we could have used the fold out sofa. The place was so well insulated that we couldn't ever hear anyone from one floor to the other. The second floor bathroom was huge, about the same size as the bedroom itself and opened up to the bedroom. The toilet and shower were in separate alcoves off this area. The bedroom had a nice balcony (with a $10 million view). We put the air mattress in the bathroom and still had plenty of room to walk around in there. The jacuzzi tub was awesome and had a window next to it with that great view! We celebrated my daughter's 18th birthday at the club with a wonderful dinner and a champagne toast that they provided.
The unit is located right at the top of the stairs that lead down into the center of St. George. In the backyard are the five flagpoles. The backyard area is open to the public with a bench so it was important to shut the shades at night.
Helpful Hints:
1. Get the buss pass, it covers ferries too.
2. Groceries are 75%-100% higher than the US so bring some staples with you.
3. We grocery shopped at The Market Place in Hamilton and ate breakfast and usually one other meal in each day.
4. Same kind of price difference in restaurants as well. 75%-100% higher than you would expect here for the same food. It's the price you pay for the Bermuda experience so don't complain. There is no sales tax but tipping is expected, just like in the US.
5. Talk to the locals, especially the kids. They are all so very nice and want to tell you about the island and hear about where you are from. We had great conversations on the buses.
6. Eat the Bermuda Fish Chowder. It is brown (don't be surprised), it is fabulous and it is different at every restaurant.
7. The Grotto Bay Beach Club (first stop over the long bridge as you are leaving St. George) is worth a trip or two. They have a $15 pp buffet lunch every day (Sunday it's $35+ but I heard it's worth it) with a great salad bar, soup, a couple of meat choices and quite a few dessert choices. You can also go into their cave for free (9am - 5pm). BRING A BATHING SUIT AND SWIM IN THE CAVE! There is a dock and a ladder. Yes, it's freezing cold, all year long but where else will you ever have the chance to do that? We spent the afternoon there for my daughter's 20th birthday and the waitstaff sang to her and brought her a piece of cake with a candle. Awesome!
8. We all enjoyed The Picked Onion restaurant on Front Street in Hamilton as well as the Hogge Penny Pub in Hamilton. Wong's Chinese just below the Club and across from the bus stop is very good and reasonable
9. Buses 11 and 12 are your best bet for getting into Hamilton. Sit on the driver's side on the way into Hamilton and the opposite side on the way back for the best view.
10. The Aquarium and Zoo is well worth the $10. It is in "Flatts", about 1/2 way to Hamilton from St. George.
11. Nearly everything is closed on Sundays. Don't be surprised.
If you are looking for a brand spanking new place with 21st century amenities then you will be unhappy at the St. George's Club. This place is beautifully elegant in the Old School way that just is not found in new developments. One needs to appreciate it's uniqueness and the Bermudian spirit that just invades the place. That's about it, I think although i could go on all day. We had a Bermudiful time and can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and my wife spent one week in this hotel 3 weeks ago.
We found the hotel to be very well located, less than 5 min. walk from St. George's center. On top of a hill, it also profits from a good view over St. George.
The apartment was clean, quiet, comfortable and spacy. Good TV and kitchen also!
The only downside was that some of the staff didn't put much effort in being helpful. Maybe this was because it was opening week for them...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Fla.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

It's said that in Hollywood, actresses dread middle age. It means that they are no longer the sexy and irresistible starlet and it's years before they can play the role of the grande dame. Truth be told, St. George's Club is definitely in middle age. Its wrinkles, uh, flaws are showing and the club hasn't yet tried to minimize those flaws.

My wife and I recently returned from a week at the Club and couldn't believe the state of the unit. It was a two-bedroom, two-bath.

Problems began at check-in, when the representative said that our unit (No. 100) was one of the original models and because of that, we had a traditional key to the unit. That sounded quaint. Instead, it was a hassle each and every time that we entered or left the unit. It probably took an average of 45-60 seconds to find the one spot on the lock that would accept the key. I felt like a safe cracker trying to pick a lock.

Once we were finally in the unit, I thought the layout was fine. The master bedroom and bath were upstairs and the second bedroom and bath were downstairs, just off the combo kitchen/living room. While the layout was mostly comfortable, the love seat was atrocious. By the end of the week, you couldn't have paid me to sit there anymore.

Upstairs, the bedroom was spacious, but disappointing. (I will admit, though, that I loved the bed.) I lived through the 70s once, and the layout of the elevated bath area almost made me look for the disco ball. My wife refused to use that area. She said it made her feel like she was on display.

Oh, and did I mention that sunrise was slightly before 7 a.m.? How do I know that? It's because the windows face due east and there's no shade in the oversized bathroom window. Every morning, we felt like that there was a spotlight shining in to wake us up.

The bedroom and bath downstairs was no better. It was smaller and for some reason, had no ceiling fan, so it always felt stuffy.

Most disappointing, though, was just the physical condition of the unit. One of the bathroom doors had warped and rotting wood. In the shower, you could see how they tried to hide a square hole with rounded fixtures. Oh, and when we got there, there was a note on the living room windows saying "Windows broken. Do not open." I wonder how long that note has been there. While we were there, no one came to fix the windows and I have a feeling that those windows will remain broken a long time. In fact, if we return next year, I get the impression that those windows would still be broken.

One last thing I must mention. The Club is on a hill. There are stairs to go down into the town, but let me tell you. After a day of walking through town, that climb back up can be exhausting. My in-laws had originally thought about going on vacation with us, but once there, we kept saying that we were glad that they didn't come. My mother-in-law could never have traveled up and down the hill. If anyone in your family has trouble walking, this location may not be right for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in Unit 100, which is adjacent to five tall flagpoles. When the wind kicks up, you can hea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JohnKyle, Manager at The St. George's Club, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your input we do appreciate all feedback. Cottage 100 is the original unit and it looking decidedly dated. We plan on changing that in 2013. Several items that were fitted in the other units, e.g. extractor fan in lower bathroom, were not in the show unit. In fact it is a completely different layout than the other two-bedroom units. We have a plan in place to update it when we close for renovations in January and the windows are being replaced. Unfortunely we could not do it before then as the unit is fully occupied throughout the year. We will look carefully at all your points and ensure that we install our new standard window blind so no one else thinks they are in the spotlight! We hope you do return next year and if you do we would be delighted to show you the unit if you are not staying there. We are sure you will see the difference.
West New York NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have just returned from my week at the St. George's Club and it was delightful. Inadvertantly, I had booked my flight for the week before my actual timeshare week but DeDe Furbet came through for me and fit me in for this past week - November 10 - 17. The cottage I was given was just down the stairs to the town so internet was an issue. But I was able to use my Ipad at the heated pool, the bar, at the top of the stairs sitting on the park bench overlooking the harbor and sitting by my door. More access to the internet and work I did not need.

My cottage was fine. The appliances are new and the furniture is perfectly fine for my stay. After reading so many complaints about mattresses and bedding, I had a lovely bed and it was firm and comfortable. If there were any roosters crowing I slept through the serenades. At night I heard the tree frogs, which is just music to my ears.

As for the staff, Amy, Marleeka and DeDe are wonderful. The bar and wait staff in the restaurant were very good and most concerned that all was well with me and the service I was getting. The food is fine, not 5 star but there is a new director of the food services and I am sure it will only get better.

I first came here in 2001 and have owned since 2006. When I arrive and during my stays I always feel like I have come home. As a single woman staying on the grounds, I feel safe and I am comfortable walking about the grounds to and from the clubhouse and cottage in the early morning and at night after dinner.

The club is ideally situated for easy access to the airport. To go into town and over to dockyards and the south shore, the bus service is wonderful. I threaten to get a scooter each year but never do because the alternatives are so much easier. Walking about St. Georges is a step back in time and on the square reenactments take you to the 18th century and a great performance. The shops, one of my particular favorite is The Island Shop, offer any number of opportunities to purchase just the right keepsake of Bermuda. I like to dine at Wahoo and Tavern by the Sea. If you want a breakfast out, try Temptations.

Already, I am looking forward to next year and my visit to my Bermuda home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hopedale, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have been staying at The St. Georges Club for almost a decade now and have no desire to go anywhere else. If you are looking for a great place to stay in a quiet part of the island, this is your place. The staff is wonderful. You come as a guest but leave as family. The cottages are spacious and clean with a Caribbean feel. Everything is within walking distance....the beach, restaurants, shopping, hiking, golf....Way too much to list. The 3 pools are beautiful and the tennis courts are on property too . The Club is a home away from home on the best little island in the world. As soon as you step off of the plane, you can't help but smile.

Room Tip: check out their great website or FB page.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Milford, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My sister & I fell in love with this resort so much that we decided to take the splurge and buy a timeshare here. We love the area, the club and the people. This vacation has now become our family vacation because everyone loves being here. The cottages are amazing. So warm and homelike. We even had our own grill for BBQ nights. The private beach is beautiful. Both restaurants were enjoyable for all six of us with very different tastes. St George's is a beautiful part of the island and to be able to just relax and love the place you stay is pure happiness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our visit to Bermuda is a highlight of our year. We just love our cottage at St. George's Club. St. George's is an amazing part of the island - it maintains its historic character and charm. One of my favorite spots in the world is the Club's private beach. Nothing can compare. I also love Blackbeard's restaurant. Everything feels so exclusive yet comfortable. We also love to take the ferry to Hamilton's and the Dockyards. Counting the weeks until our next visit!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The St. George's Club? Share your experiences!