“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

Aunt Nea's Inn at Hillcrest
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 Nea's Alley, St. George GEO5, Bermuda   |
Ranked #1 of 1 St. George B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

So, as most of you have done reading the previous reviews, i booked a room through hotwire and i got a room in this place. Then i started to read the comments and i admin i started to be a little worried. Arrived as almost everyone at 3pm and nobody to greet us. i knew about the package and here you go. i stayed in the "green turtle" room. the place / room is moldy. Our room was also terrific humid because the shower has been put in the center of the room so all the steam goes directly where you sleep... and your linen, clothes and luggage start to be humid.
we realized the days after that the manager is at the reception only in the morning (strange when the first flight land in bermuda almost at noon) and, it is a bed and breakfast...with NO breakfast!
in short: if you have (a lot more) money to spend stay in one of the resort in the resort area. If you prefer to save some money and invest the rest in visiting the island (renting a bike for example) this place is perfect. Tobacco bay and turtle/clearwater beach are among the beautiful beaches of the island.

Room Tip: i stayed on the main floor but seems the suite at the first floor are nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Davie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My son and I enjoyed staying at this quaint Inn. We had an upper room with balcony overlooking historic St.George's. All very comfy, bright large bathroom and separate sitting room. Clean. Very friendly and helpful staff. It's within walking distance to restaurants, stores, post office, bus station, scooter and bicycle rental. - Guests are allowed to store food/drinks in the refrigerator in the common area. Free coffee available. For full breakfast "Temptations" just down the street. Closest beach is Tobacco Bay, a 10 minute walk. We shall be back.

Room Tip: Upper rooms front with balcony - great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked a stay here from August 10-14 and disappointment is what we got. It started off with our room keys and a note left in the mailbox. We were there by 1500 and no one was there to greet us. Then we get into our room. It was a large, decently furnished room. The window AC in the sitting room was on and had the room cool on this hot first day. However the bedroom had a broken AC with an apology note on it which made this room very hot and musty. The window also would not shut though that didn't matter due to missing glass in the panes. I know there seem to be a lot of ants on the island but the amount found in the room was a bit much. I had to check my clothes every day due to the ants enjoying my luggage as a home. On day three (Monday) the housekeeping staff straightened up our room yet turned the AC off when they left which means the room was absolutely miserable when we came back from a day on the boat! I can understand wanting to keep electric bills at a minimum but we paid for this room so it should be to our level of comfort. The same thing happened the following day. In the end as the title states, you get what you pay for!

• Stayed August 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I made the mistake of buying several nights at Aunt Nea's Inn on Hotwire.com (that was my first experience using Hotwire and will now be my last!) where this inn was rated as a 3-star property - comparable to a Holiday Inn or Four Points by Sheraton. I'm hard pressed to give this place 2-stars much less 3. From what I understand from many of the locals, this was a nice place... at one time. But to compare this property to a Holiday Inn or a Four Points is just insulting to the traveling public. I don't think you can compare this property to a Red Roof Inn or Motel 6 even.

Much of what I experienced has been reflected by other reviewers here. No one there to greet me, my key left in an envelope in the mailbox with directions on how to find my room, bug problems, weeds growing through the sidewalk, etc. The room had an old window unit air conditioner (complete with rust) and a note was left to not run it when you were not in the room, hence you could come back to a very hot place on a brutal day. The shower/tub was literally at the foor of my bed and there were splits in the wood of the front door so I got to enjoy the sunlight streaming through the cracks in the morning. The linens including towels and bedspread were dirty - in fact the bedspread had something crusty on it that looked a lot like dried blood.

Now on the bright side, the A/C did work and they had cable TV so there were some distractions at least. But this is not a B&B, so you fend for yourself when it comes to breakfast, which can be an interesting prospect in St. George.

This was my first trip to Bermuda and thanks to my stay at Aunt Nea's it may very well be my last. Do yourself a favour - if you see any of the "discount websites" (Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) advertising a "three-star hotel" in St. George - DON'T DO IT!!! Odds are you'll end up here. No matter how good the deal looks online, you're better off paying more and staying in Hamilton or Somerset or one of the resorts. (Had I known then what I know now, I'd have booked The Fairmont Southampton instead.)

I think the best bet for Aunt Nea's Inn is for someone to buy it, renovate it and then embark on a serious marketing campaign to restore the image. And one final piece of advice for anyone planning a trip with someone special to Bermuda - do your homework before you pick where you're going to stay in Bermuda. There are no decent hotels in St. George, I hear guest houses are another matter, but seriously I would not stay at Aunt Nea's again nor would I recommend it - unless you are just really desperate for ONE night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these St. George hotels

St. George, Bermuda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have had friends from Philadelphia USA stay there Aunt Nea's Inn over night I had not seen the inside of this place for a few years, they stated there over night and as it was near the airport, luckily for them it was only one night stay and were upset at the state of the place with dirt, mold, dead bugs, worn out towels with holes in them, nothing works and said they would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone, .the only reason they stayed for the night was that they couldn't get there $200 back. I did visited there room while they were there and I was also shocked and ashamed of this place being a Bermudian. This place has changed since the lady that used to own Aunt Nea's Inn died many years back what a lovely lady she was, the son took over after her death. and at this time he had done a lot of work to It, it was a lovey Inn when I saw it at this time. The owner does not live here but in England now. So there seems to be no update inside this place in the last while from the looks of it.
Its is such a shame, as people now think this is how we Bermudians also live like this in these reviews. Not so....There are other guest house here in St Georges and they do not look anything like this. We are proud of our island here but not feeling that way just now..

Room Tip: Look for another guest house in St Georges there are plenty of them
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Potomac Falls, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ended up getting to Bermuda a day early and my hotel wanted $900.00 to squeeze me in a night early.. so I tried one of those auction travel sites and got a room for $200 at Aunt Nea's Inn. Ket was in the mailbox.. we stayed in the Blue Bird. Cool that the hotel was built in the 1700's.. it could be a GOLD MINE if they refurbished it and trimmed the bushes. It was OK for a night.. but not long term.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place is horrible.....it is old, dirty, musty, moldy, invested with ants and electrical wiring was a hazard. Linens were old and dirty. The location of the Inn is an alley and your view from the front porch is the back of a building. The free wi-if they advertise is from a spot on the front porch. Everything on the Aunt Nea's website is false --including the pictures, these pictures must have been taken years ago. We had prepaid for 3 nights and left immediately after viewing the Inn and our room. The Inn keeper or owner/manager must be ashamed of the Inn, as there was no one to greet us, (we arrived at 3pm),our keys were in a mailbox with a hideous note written with a red maker telling us the location of our room........ Well they call t s room, I have another name for it!
Bermuda is a beautiful island and it's a shame that tourists are tricked into booking at locations such as this one. Please take my advise, I do not feel as if I have to stay at a five star resort, but I do want to stay somewhere clean!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aunt Nea's Inn at Hillcrest? Share your experiences!