“Huge Disappointment - Buyer Beware!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Aunt Nea's Inn at Hillcrest
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 Nea's Alley, St. George GEO5, Bermuda   |
Ranked #1 of 1 St. George B&B and Inns
Nashville, Tennessee
“Huge Disappointment - Buyer Beware!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I made the mistake of buying several nights at Aunt Nea's Inn on Hotwire.com (that was my first experience using Hotwire and will now be my last!) where this inn was rated as a 3-star property - comparable to a Holiday Inn or Four Points by Sheraton. I'm hard pressed to give this place 2-stars much less 3. From what I understand from many of the locals, this was a nice place... at one time. But to compare this property to a Holiday Inn or a Four Points is just insulting to the traveling public. I don't think you can compare this property to a Red Roof Inn or Motel 6 even.

Much of what I experienced has been reflected by other reviewers here. No one there to greet me, my key left in an envelope in the mailbox with directions on how to find my room, bug problems, weeds growing through the sidewalk, etc. The room had an old window unit air conditioner (complete with rust) and a note was left to not run it when you were not in the room, hence you could come back to a very hot place on a brutal day. The shower/tub was literally at the foor of my bed and there were splits in the wood of the front door so I got to enjoy the sunlight streaming through the cracks in the morning. The linens including towels and bedspread were dirty - in fact the bedspread had something crusty on it that looked a lot like dried blood.

Now on the bright side, the A/C did work and they had cable TV so there were some distractions at least. But this is not a B&B, so you fend for yourself when it comes to breakfast, which can be an interesting prospect in St. George.

This was my first trip to Bermuda and thanks to my stay at Aunt Nea's it may very well be my last. Do yourself a favour - if you see any of the "discount websites" (Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) advertising a "three-star hotel" in St. George - DON'T DO IT!!! Odds are you'll end up here. No matter how good the deal looks online, you're better off paying more and staying in Hamilton or Somerset or one of the resorts. (Had I known then what I know now, I'd have booked The Fairmont Southampton instead.)

I think the best bet for Aunt Nea's Inn is for someone to buy it, renovate it and then embark on a serious marketing campaign to restore the image. And one final piece of advice for anyone planning a trip with someone special to Bermuda - do your homework before you pick where you're going to stay in Bermuda. There are no decent hotels in St. George, I hear guest houses are another matter, but seriously I would not stay at Aunt Nea's again nor would I recommend it - unless you are just really desperate for ONE night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
St. George, Bermuda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have had friends from Philadelphia USA stay there Aunt Nea's Inn over night I had not seen the inside of this place for a few years, they stated there over night and as it was near the airport, luckily for them it was only one night stay and were upset at the state of the place with dirt, mold, dead bugs, worn out towels with holes in them, nothing works and said they would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone, .the only reason they stayed for the night was that they couldn't get there $200 back. I did visited there room while they were there and I was also shocked and ashamed of this place being a Bermudian. This place has changed since the lady that used to own Aunt Nea's Inn died many years back what a lovely lady she was, the son took over after her death. and at this time he had done a lot of work to It, it was a lovey Inn when I saw it at this time. The owner does not live here but in England now. So there seems to be no update inside this place in the last while from the looks of it.
Its is such a shame, as people now think this is how we Bermudians also live like this in these reviews. Not so....There are other guest house here in St Georges and they do not look anything like this. We are proud of our island here but not feeling that way just now..

Room Tip: Look for another guest house in St Georges there are plenty of them
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Potomac Falls, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ended up getting to Bermuda a day early and my hotel wanted $900.00 to squeeze me in a night early.. so I tried one of those auction travel sites and got a room for $200 at Aunt Nea's Inn. Ket was in the mailbox.. we stayed in the Blue Bird. Cool that the hotel was built in the 1700's.. it could be a GOLD MINE if they refurbished it and trimmed the bushes. It was OK for a night.. but not long term.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This place is horrible.....it is old, dirty, musty, moldy, invested with ants and electrical wiring was a hazard. Linens were old and dirty. The location of the Inn is an alley and your view from the front porch is the back of a building. The free wi-if they advertise is from a spot on the front porch. Everything on the Aunt Nea's website is false --including the pictures, these pictures must have been taken years ago. We had prepaid for 3 nights and left immediately after viewing the Inn and our room. The Inn keeper or owner/manager must be ashamed of the Inn, as there was no one to greet us, (we arrived at 3pm),our keys were in a mailbox with a hideous note written with a red maker telling us the location of our room........ Well they call t s room, I have another name for it!
Bermuda is a beautiful island and it's a shame that tourists are tricked into booking at locations such as this one. Please take my advise, I do not feel as if I have to stay at a five star resort, but I do want to stay somewhere clean!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We spent only one night at Ant Nea's, in one of the rooms on the first floor. The room actualy had a living room and bedroom. Very charming furniture and look and feel, but also very old. Perfect for one night in St. George as it's smack in the centre of town and close to the nearest beaches. Wouldn't have enjoyed staying here more than one or two nights as the facilities are old and tired and St. George is a little far from the other beaches we loved on the South Shore. Rachel, the host, is very nice and helpful, adding half a star to my review.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Be careful before booking this hotel! This is a very old building, built in the 1700's, and has been worn out & repaired & remodeled with little consistency. Some people would consider it historic, but as a place to stay it is dirty, musty & moldy, creaky, with old, heavily used and often broken-down fixtures. All features are out-dated and in poor working condition. Our assigned room was dirty and looked nothing like the pictures. The bathroom was a fright with cobbled together fixtures and tacked up curtains, painted plywood shelves, dirty window sills, and power outlets that did not work. The air conditioner rattled, the mini fridge was dirty. We asked to be moved and had to pay extra for a suite. That room was spacious and did not smell as bad, but the linens were stained, the towels were thin & frayed, the free Wi-Fi was unreliable and often did not reach the room. The door would not lock securely, the furniture was not useful, the pillows were hard & lumpy, the TV was ancient. We left our room each day with the air conditioner running so we'd have a cool room upon our return, but the staff would come in and turn it off while we were away. This hotel is more like a bed & breakfast without the breakfast, as it is more like a house with lots of rooms, each unique. There is a community "kitchen" without a stove or sink, but they do offer free bad coffee in the morning, a kitchen table, and a shared refer. They have a pile of old, random dishes and silverware for use, but I found them to be poorly washed. The pictures we saw online of this hotel must be over 20 years old because the vegetation on the grounds has at least 20 more years of growth. The location was close to St. George, the bus line, and the ferry. A 20 minute walk gets you to a nice beach.

Room Tip: Spend more money, go elsewhere. There is nothing quaint about this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was sent there for 1 night, my previous company booked that place for me. I don't understand why they did that. I arrived late at night (10.30pm). I had a wonderful older lady taxi driver miss Felisha who was helping me. There was nobody there to wait for me in the guesthouse. There was one ENVELOPE on the steps with my name on it!!!!! I felt like I was in the SURVIVOR show! So, I opened the envelope and there was a key there. I didn't know where was my room, everywhere was dark and scary, I was so afraid. If it wasn't Felisha next to me, I would just run away from there. She helped me to go on the second floor where my "room" was. So, two us dragged my suitcases in a middle of the dark over many steps. I was in front of my "2 pieces hook door" -like bakery door, surprised so much in a negative way. I made pictures and that was the worst rusty bathroom I ever seen, not even used it; cracked walls, dirty place, no signal tv, not working "war" radio and weird atmosphere. ONLY they had weak internet connection. Avoid this place if you want to live and if you respect your money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Aunt Nea's Inn at Hillcrest? Share your experiences!