“Bummed in Bermuda” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 Nea's Alley, St. George GEO5, Bermuda   |
Seattle, Washington
“Bummed in Bermuda”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Be careful before booking this hotel! This is a very old building, built in the 1700's, and has been worn out & repaired & remodeled with little consistency. Some people would consider it historic, but as a place to stay it is dirty, musty & moldy, creaky, with old, heavily used and often broken-down fixtures. All features are out-dated and in poor working condition. Our assigned room was dirty and looked nothing like the pictures. The bathroom was a fright with cobbled together fixtures and tacked up curtains, painted plywood shelves, dirty window sills, and power outlets that did not work. The air conditioner rattled, the mini fridge was dirty. We asked to be moved and had to pay extra for a suite. That room was spacious and did not smell as bad, but the linens were stained, the towels were thin & frayed, the free Wi-Fi was unreliable and often did not reach the room. The door would not lock securely, the furniture was not useful, the pillows were hard & lumpy, the TV was ancient. We left our room each day with the air conditioner running so we'd have a cool room upon our return, but the staff would come in and turn it off while we were away. This hotel is more like a bed & breakfast without the breakfast, as it is more like a house with lots of rooms, each unique. There is a community "kitchen" without a stove or sink, but they do offer free bad coffee in the morning, a kitchen table, and a shared refer. They have a pile of old, random dishes and silverware for use, but I found them to be poorly washed. The pictures we saw online of this hotel must be over 20 years old because the vegetation on the grounds has at least 20 more years of growth. The location was close to St. George, the bus line, and the ferry. A 20 minute walk gets you to a nice beach.

Room Tip: Spend more money, go elsewhere. There is nothing quaint about this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was sent there for 1 night, my previous company booked that place for me. I don't understand why they did that. I arrived late at night (10.30pm). I had a wonderful older lady taxi driver miss Felisha who was helping me. There was nobody there to wait for me in the guesthouse. There was one ENVELOPE on the steps with my name on it!!!!! I felt like I was in the SURVIVOR show! So, I opened the envelope and there was a key there. I didn't know where was my room, everywhere was dark and scary, I was so afraid. If it wasn't Felisha next to me, I would just run away from there. She helped me to go on the second floor where my "room" was. So, two us dragged my suitcases in a middle of the dark over many steps. I was in front of my "2 pieces hook door" -like bakery door, surprised so much in a negative way. I made pictures and that was the worst rusty bathroom I ever seen, not even used it; cracked walls, dirty place, no signal tv, not working "war" radio and weird atmosphere. ONLY they had weak internet connection. Avoid this place if you want to live and if you respect your money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these St. George hotels

Ambridge, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Such a cute romantic litte Inn. Has a great location and I thought it was so charming and sweet. Walking distance to restaurants or even the bus line. Everyone was very friendly. I stayed with a friend, the shower in front of the bed was a little awkward, so I recommend it to couples. But it was very nice.

• Stayed June 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a good little inn, Just a sort walk down to the bars and cafe by the harbour. The rooms are clean but there is not kettle rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.Rachal who runs it is very helpfull booking my taxi`s etc..But the bus is a good serive and much much cheeper. Would go back.

Room Tip: take a kettle
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I think the main problem with Aunt Nea's is that it doesn't work for the vast majority of Bermuda's visitors, who seem to be honeymooners or retirees. It is a very historic property, located in the fascinating town of St. George, a tangle of alleyways and hills. My room was pleasant and clean, the AC and hot water worked beautifully. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were sparkling clean. Rachel, the caretaker, was friendly and helpful. The inn was near enough to some beaches, but it was a walk over some hills. I enjoyed the walk, but it might be strenuous for some. It must be noted, this is a guest house, not a BnB. The only complaint that I have is that the price is a bit steep for what it is. I guess that's Bermuda for you, the island of six dollar bottles of Coke!

• Stayed October 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a HUGE disappointment! For that expense, it should have been so much better. Details matter! We sprung for a $uite with balcony access, because this was a significant anniversary for us! This was my 2nd trip to BDA, but my husband's first. I wanted us to stay in the east end because of the history & authentic old world charm. And we're B&B type people - so didn't even consider a resort hotel. Get this: Aunt Nea's is NOT a b&b - there is no breakfast. Some old references to it indicate that it used to serve breakfast, but it doesn't in Sept 2012. And St Geo's is a sleepy place with not a lot open early or late. And even less is open on Sunday.

Aunt Nea's website looks great. The place itself looks charming but it has clearly lacked attention for a while. The best parts about the place were the roosters crowing (all day, not just mornings) and the pretty tree frog noises (all night). I mean it - the nature is beautiful! But the missing balcony bricks in front of our room door and the "tricky" door lock foreshadowed what was inside.

Our suite's furniture (not the bed) is stained & broken, like in an old college aptmt. Pillows are very lumpy. The bed is so high off the floor you can't use it for dressing, and the side tables are so low, one cannot see the clock without practically getting out of bed. I stacked 8 paperback novels under the clock so we could see the time from the pillow. There are just two prints in the room, of Marilynn Monroe - to what does she relate? Felt like a dorm room.

There is a panel of four switches on the wall outside the bathroom. One switch works all of the lights in the bath, and the other three switches do not light anything. There are lights over the fireplace mantel, which do not light either by hand or switch. The lighting in the sitting room was too dim to read. The Internet was out, too, and it's difficult to find hotspots in BDA (but we did get some at coffee shops in St Geos) to get info to/from our sitter. Freak storm had come thru, but still, no one seemed to do anything to reconnect the inn. They need a better relationship with the service providers.

The fireplace in our room had two plywood doors covering it, with a big silver lock in the middle. Where's the charm in that? It is offensive!

Bathroom: I didn't know toilet paper could be so thin - it's better at public restrooms; there is no mirror over the sink, so shaving is difficult; threadbare towels; sub-par toiletries; plastic garage-type shelving; painted tiles are peeling (painting is a cheap fix for tiles that need to be regrouted or replaced); the tub is plastic rather than ceramic; we tolerated the few ants, apparently even they knew better than to stay at Aunt Nea's. And why is there a price tag on the edge of the plywood making up the wall of the water heater closet? details, people!

The windows have hot pink bordello sheers, making the room look really cheap. The sitting room had no table/desk, so there was no place to write cards, use a computer, or eat a meal (that you've picked up from a grocery buffet because there are no places open for breakfast on Sunday, and there is no breakfast served at this inn). The balcony light is left on all night, and the sheers on the glass room doors are almost as thin as the toilet paper - wanted a room darkening fabric on those windows for privacy, too.

One eve, the manager's country music blasted from her cottage next door, 7-9:30 (we'd noticed it a block away during the day, too!). But hey, we were sipping dark & stormys on a balcony in Bermuda! And Rachel gets time off like anybody else, right? She was very courteous to us, and phoned us to make sure we arrived OK (arriving after 2:00 in the afternoon means there is no one there to greet you), and called us a cab on our departure day. But she can only do what the owner will allow/fund.

It was a bit cheeky that the room binder with out of date local info for restaurants, still has a 10-yr-old trade magazine article about the happy new owners adding personal touches to create a luxurious inn with breakfast and even cookies in the afternoons. Not anymore.

The reservation policy was very tightly written, that there could be no cancellations or refunds, so we stayed the 4 nights we'd booked. But we'll never stay there again, until it is under new management. And I hope this review helps you in your decision of where to stay. Because you should visit Bermuda, it is a beautiful place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was really puzzled and a bit worried by the marked differences in opinions about Aunt Nea's. However now that I have stayed here I think that I understand. If you are looking for a resort hotel with a fitness center, personal trainer, 24 hr room service and concierge, an elevator that talks to you, spa, and 2 telephones in the bathroom, then this is not for you. However if you are looking for a very quaint and tranquil B&B with a beautiful garden and a lovely 'old world' atmosphere then this is the place to be. Lying in a very comfortable 4 poster bed listening to the roosters crowing outside is a good start to the day. Aunt Nea's is within a 5 minute walk of a couple of great restaurants and the ferry terminal to Hamilton and Dockyard. Rachel is wonderful and runs the place very smoothly. True, there is no chef or sous chef organising a massive breakfast - but a coffee on the verandah followed by a stroll into town for breakfast is not a bad way to start the day. I have travelled a great deal and it is a real pleasure to find a place that I wished for - and this is certainly it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Aunt Nea's Inn at Hillcrest? Share your experiences!