Main 3 Bed Cottage

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

FRONTLODG...
London
“Something (and somewhere)completely different.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
people found this review helpful

I started planning our trip to Barbuda in September 2012 when I first emailled Kelcina. Since that time we have been in contact by email so often that it became like writing to a penpal. We are now, I hope, friends. I was initially nervous booking a non package holiday to such an off the beaten track location, however Kelcina was always there with advice and help. Eventually not only had I booked a holiday let I had arranged a birthday party and done the grocery shopping long before we left London.
I dont think any of us really appreciated how isolated and unspoiled/unchanged Barbuda is until we arrived. Flying from London to Antigua is just flying, the small plane from Antigua to Barbuda is a bit of an adventure but it is when you land and go into the village of Codringham it begins to sink in just how far from the normal package holiday resorts you are. This is real, unspoilt, uncomplicated Caribbean, not a tourist in sight.
Barbuda Cottages is, at the moment, a cottage. it is a three bed, two bath house on stilts overlooking an absolutely fabulous beach. The cottage is comfortable rather than luxurious, a bit like taking home on holiday.
Right, how was our holiday? Well the bad bits first, we arrived in the wettest May for years and we had some very, very wet weather. This did mean that on a couple of occasions in the very early morning we ran out of solar power. But we had far, far more sunny days and it was very hot. The wet weather meant the sand flies were a problem and all of us suffered to some degree but Kelcina increased the misting and that seemed to have resolved that problem.
I have been to resorts in the Caribbean where guest witter on about them being the closest thing to heaven etc, etc. Well Barbuda is not close to heaven but it is a fairly life changing experience. The people are wonderful, the countryside while not pretty is unspoilt, wild and full of surprises. The beaches are certainly among the best in the world.
While I was staying at Barbuda Cottages I was lucky enough to have a birthday and through Kelcina had arranged a "birthday bash" where for a very reasonable price we had lobster, king fish, conch, jerk chicken, a whole leg of venison along with rice, salads, veggies etc and bucket loads of rum punch. The best thing about my birthday was that a few locals came to celebrate it with me and we had a wonderful time. I hope they enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed theirs.
Barbuda does make you think about your health, I really would not like to have an accident or fall ill in a place quite as isolated as that. So I was extra careful!!
We did not plan to self cater, we planned to eat out as often as was possible and of the 14 days we were there was ate about half the time at Uncle Roddy's next door (the only other person within walking distance) Lobster, fish or chicken on the BBQ. All very good and very good rum punch.
We did shop for groceries while we were there and bought local bread, eggs, butter, cheese, tomatoes, peppers and onions, rice, pasta, sausages and bacon. But the shops are reliant on deliveries by boat from Antigua and this means quite often items are not available, but even when the shops have received their deliveries I dont think the average tourist or self caterer would find a lot. I had seen previous reviews where people had written about bringing groceries from Antigua and while I would rather eat at local bars or street stalls I can now understand a little why people would do that.
While I was researching this holiday a number of people on tripadvisor told me that 2 or 3 days was more than enough for Barbuda. I am so glad that I did not listen to them, our 2 weeks was not enough, I still have so many things I want to see and do and I will certainly be going back to do them.
I had a great holiday, yes we had a few dramas but that added to the adventure (and it was an adventure) the cottage is great, the location is great, the people are wonderful and I hope I have a few friends there. My best memories are being in the sea in front of the cottage and in 15 minutes seeing a turtle, 5 stingrays, a barracuda and other fish. The smiling faces at my birthday party and again at the dining table when our local friends came to visit and visiting the school where the kids gave us a private concert on the steel pans.
Yes a great holiday and I can't wait to do it again.

5 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
4 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property 4 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses
4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils 4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness
4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities 5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: location and people
Liked least: sandflies
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
feistysci...
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing secluded cottage in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 for a stay in November 2012
person found this review helpful

Spent almost a week at this magnificently secluded and quiet spot. We ate at Uncle Roddy's a few times and it was wonderful.
Snorkeled and swam off the beach, explored the island a bit.
Not a good spot for folks with young kids, as food is a bit of an adventure to get on the small island.
The only drawback are the bugs that come out at 4pm every day... bring a lot of bug repellent.

5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beach
Liked least: The bugs
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
harpnbard
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
“I Vant to Be Alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 for a stay in February 2012
people found this review helpful

If you love a lonely beach and are really organized as far as planning menus - then this is the place for a few days of peace and quiet. The house is comfortable and spacious. The pics speak volumes about its setting - beachfront! The kitchen could use some updating as far as pots and pans, but I loved the fact that we were living off the grid. The house is completely solar powered. Dine al fresco but burn the candles and make sure you close the doors during twilight. The midges are treacherous. The very best kept secret is about a mile's hike up the dirt road: the defunct K-Club beaches are accessible through a very limp bit of barbed wire along the beach. This beach is the epitome of lonesome luxury. Pack your hors d'oeuvres and a bottle of wine (remember to be an organized shopper) and laze away hours without seeing a soul. By organized shopper I mean - I highly recommend your bring everything you might like to eat with you from Antigua - including your booze. Barbuda offers very limited shopping in its honky little town. The only real option for an evening out is to reserve at least a day ahead and dine at the owner of the cottages father's place next door - Uncle Roddy's. He cooks a mean grouper and is a very pleasant fellow.

5 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
4 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The solitude it guaranteed
Liked least: Bikes were broken - we were offered a one day rental from in town
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
AshleyB63
Boise, Idaho
“Tropical paradise with secluded beach, great snorkeling & dreamy beach house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

After a week at Barbuda Cottages, I'm surprised we could tear ourselves away to come home.
First: The Cottage - 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full of ammenities. You have a commanding view of the tropical blue ocean and a fantastic sunset every night. Everything about the cottage was comfortable and thoughtfully appointed. The solar power made us feel like we were leaving a small footprint on the beautiful surroundings. Kelcina left a generous welcome basket in the kitchen which was great for evening cocktails, breakfast, and an impromptu dinner. There are snorkeling supplies and plenty of beach towels...you can pack light and still have everything you need.
Second: The Beach - you really have the beach to yourself. Occassional yacht dingies, day trippers, and locals are dotted along the shore...but don't get the idea you're fighting for space! We rarely saw anyone else and had the snorkeling to ourselves. Wade into the crystal clear water and within 5 feet, there's something beautiful to look at--sea fans, urchins, rays, and fish.
Next: Nearby Attractions - Uncle Roddy's (Kelcina's dad) is 100 yards down the road. Be sure to make reservations for lobster and if it's available, you MUST have the snapper. Even BBQ chicken tastes better! -A short drive up the road is the (now closed) K Club. You can still access the beach, Diana Princess of Wales Beach (formerly Access Beach) which is also deserted but is exquisite. The most beautiful beach we've ever seen. -A Frigate Bird Tour (ask for Pat)...truly a unique experience and Pat is masterful at giving you interesting, knowledgeable information.
Finally: Kelcina - Kelcina is a wonderful hostess. She and her family have created a carefree get-away. If she happens to be on the island when you arrive, you'll have nothing to want for. Gracious and kind, Kelcina grew up on Barbuda and is helpful with tons of information

We've been back for 2 days and miss Barbuda and the cottage already!

5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: uncrowded beach and crystal clear water
Liked least: No-Seeums
Brampton, Canada
“Relaxing Private Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011 for a stay in July 2011
people found this review helpful

The view from this private beachfront cottage is picture postcard perfect. As part of the property, our family had the use of a sun shelter just above a soft sandy shore. No competition for beach chairs here! My husband and I enjoyed long barefoot walks following the shoreline, undisturbed except for the occasional sighting of the native wildlife - birds, fish, chickens, donkeys etc. Our kids swam and snorkeled in the calm bathwater warm sea steps from the cottage. The beds were comfortable and each kid had their own bedroom on the opposite side of the cottage with their own shared bathroom . I particularly liked the outside beach shower under the cottage for de-sanding. Kelcina was available and a very helpful host throughout our Barbuda stay. Uncle Roddy's Barbeque nearby provided a freshly cooked lunch daily. A very relaxing stay.

5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cottage and beach
Liked least: Evening sandflies
Traveling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Kynastont...
Toronto, Canada
“This is everything you are looking for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011 for a stay in February 2011
person found this review helpful

My girlfriend and I were looking for a get away that was romantic and quiet and heard about this rental from a friend that had seen it online.

This place is AMAZING. From the stilted house, the views, the privacy and the service. Kelsina was there for us with anything we needed.

I could right a book on everything we liked about it and have already booked again for next year.

Highly, Highly recommended

5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
shelly006
New York, New York
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011 for a stay in January 2011
people found this review helpful

We can't believe a place like this actually exists. The house and the beach were pristine. we felt like millionaires with our own unspoiled beach and own private villa. It is the best house on an incredible island.

On the morning we arrived at the house, we were amazed at how much Barbuda Cottages looks like the pictures. The porch is HUGE and the ocean views are stunning. In the refrigerator the management left us fresh eggs, milk, butter and jam. There was fresh baked bread and coffee as well. After breakfast on the porch, we went back inside and discovered they even left us a bottle of Barbuda rum for afternoon cocktails. Very cool.

We woke up with gorgeous views of the sunrise and the ocean. We really appreciated that the house is solar powered. Its nice to know that the fabulousness of the house (washing machine, ceiling fans, refrigerator, television, dvd player, etc) left no carbon footprint on the nature surrounding this gorgeous place. The bed felt better than the ones at the Four Seasons, and the towels and kitchen supplies were nice quality and in abundance.

We didn't rent a car because we decided to take advantage of local taxis and bike rentals. The house has a mobile phone for guests to use, so if we were out or at home and needed a ride someplace, all we had to do was make a call. It was great especially since it began to feel like the people town were collectively taking care of us. We met so many nice people: Uncle Roddy at Uncle Roddy's Beach Bar was so kind. He gave my husband extra fishing line and great tips about the best fishing spots on the beach. At the grocery store, Lincoln remembered our names and helped us feel like part of the community. Natacky at the Tourism Office was super helpful arranging tours that were specific to our needs and tastes--even if you're not into birds, you should see the Frigate Bird Sanctuary with Pat. And Kelcina is amazing. She called to make sure that we were comfortably settling in, she met us at the airport and when she waved goodbye as we left, I held back tears making my husband promise that we'd come back within a year. Her kindness, her attention to detail, and her desire to make sure we have the best experience in Barbuda were beyond our expectations.

The beach at the house is gorgeous: powdery sand and the clear blue Caribbean Sea and no one was there but us. At night, the stars were large and bright. We didn't know places like this still existed. The other beaches on the island kept getting better and better. At Coco Point, we walked for a few miles on white powder sand and finally met two French guys who swam to shore from their yacht offshore. At Palm Beach, we were alone again on a pink sand beach and at Spanish Point we watched the place where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic.

We liked the unspoiled beaches and the privacy most of all. The people in the village showed a generosity of spirit that was contagious. Back in New York, we found ourselves more willing to stop and greet a stranger. The thing I really hated was that we only booked for a week. Next time, we'll plan to stay longer. It felt so good to slow down in Paradise and we can't wait to come back!

5 of 5 stars Value 5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists Large groups
from
$450
Night
Week
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Owner
Kelcina G
Speaks English
Listed since : Jun 2010
Response Rate: 15 %
Response Time: Within a few days
Calendar Updated: 119 days ago
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing