“A resort for all ages:” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino

You added La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino to your Saves list
La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   J. E. Irausquin Blvd. 250, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“A resort for all ages:”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been a timeshare owner for 10 years and have always had a good time. The renovation is almost complete and it looks great. The Glitz Casino is now opened and was well designed. Tables are $10 minimums, and plenty of slots. There is a bar on the side that has a band if you just want to unwind in the evening. If you want a nice dinner, Las Ramblas outside restaurant has excellent food and atmosphere. For an appetizer I always get the bacon wrapped scallops, best scallops on the island. Both seafood and steak are excellent.

If you want a good meal at an economy price, the islander grill is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you can sit in or take out.

There are plenty of activities daily and a band from 4-6 at the Pata Pata bar. The resort is well maintained, safe and clean. Definitely would recommend.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We arrived Tuesday, March 26 at 9 p.m. Check in was a breeze - we were to our room in no time. FYI, garden view for us on the right side of the resort means parking lot view.

The next day Bluegreen scheduled a 60 minute owner’s update at 9 a.m. We arrived on time and waited about 15 to 20 minutes for the Bluegreen staff (Guirdo) to come and get us from the Bluegreen reception area. We had breakfast with Guirdo (scrambled egg substitute), sausages, fried potato squares, toast, juice and coffee, which was nice since we didn’t have any food in our room yet. Our 16-year-old daughter ate and headed for the beach – hopefully with lots of sunscreen.
We finally started the update at 9:40 and received some great information about where to go on the island and where to eat. We are owners with Bluegreen. In 2010 we increased our points and went to a biennial “silver” ownership - which means we get two years of points every even year but can use them all the first year if we want. Guirdo told us they “keep things simple” here in Aruba and only offer annual memberships. After a lengthy review of the different ownership levels (platinum, gold, silver, bronze), again, I mentioned I was done with the update unless he had something new to share with us. Then came the “how much this will cost you” speech. I said I wanted to go find my daughter and get to the beach since we had just arrived and it was nearly 11 a.m. by now. At this point he insisted on taking us to see a “studio” on the 4th floor – more time. When we got back, I again stated we were not interested. We had paid to go to biennial points, why would I want to pay again to back to annual just a short time later? With this he said, “what if I can get you biennial points?” I guess anything is possible with Bluegreen. Then the manager came over again and when he heard we just wanted to leave started asking us for names of people that may be interested in timeshares. We said that we get an update almost every year and that we’ve already given them all the names we had. This wasn’t good enough – now we were offered a free gift if we’d give them names. When we insisted we just wanted to leave he said he’d show us the gifts you get for providing names and got up and again I said we just wanted to leave. He then said “Jesus Christ, just get them out of here” in a very mean tone.

The sun is EXTREMELY intense being so close to the equator. I have brown skin and rarely burn and I put on 35-50 sunscreen every day and did not sit in the sun (sat in the shade) between noon and 3 p.m. I spent a total of about 5 hours all the time we were there sitting in the sun and was VERY brown.
There was volley ball across the street at the beach every day which made my daughter very happy and she had a great time as she missed her club team at home.

Internet connections are down more than they are up. We only got connected from our room the day before we left and didn’t have Internet anywhere the first two days we were there. They said they had a technician working on it. There are computers on the second floor of the lobby that can be used for 15 minutes even when wireless is down.

When we checked in on March 26 we were told we’d need to change rooms on Monday, April 1. We scheduled the Jeep tour on Sunday so we’d be available for moving on Monday. We got back from dinner Saturday night at 8:45 but the next morning when we left for the safari we found a notice that said we were supposed to move on Saturday, March 30. Now I was really confused. I went to the lobby and told them we just saw the notice and we were not packed and were leaving for our tour. They said that if we couldn’t move we’d be charged a $300 fee. So either I lose $300 for not moving or $300 for the tour – either way I lose. My husband ran back to the room and started throwing everything into suit cases. I asked to talk to a manager and I want to thank Alexander for keeping us in our same room and not being charged a fee. Needless to say this was a very nerve racking morning and we were extremely stressed.

La Cabana was still under renovations and there was drilling, power blasting of old paint and painting every day from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. They spent three days while we were there painting and patching outside our room. There is basically no insulation and people/workers talking outside our bedroom could be heard at all hours of the night and morning like they were standing next to our bed. Luckily I had read this and I did bring ear plugs.

If you want a chair with shade by the pool you need to be out at the pool very early (some were there at 5 a.m. to get “their” regular table. One morning I set up our towels and got unpacked. I was sitting there and a man came up to me and said “this is my table.” I said there was nothing on the table or chairs and I didn’t move. He swore at me and walked away. There is great comradery among the many La Cabana owners that have been coming here since the late 80’s when the resort was being built. La Cabana’s security “tag” the tables in the morning and once you are tagged you get 1 ½ hours to return or they say they will remove your items. Not to say that it didn’t happen, but I never saw them remove belongings. Others at nearby tables covered for each other so they didn’t lose their tables.
We’ve heard that the water was rougher than usual this year and my daughter and I both got sick on a scuba trip on the southern part of the island. We are used to diving in the Cayman Islands, Cayman Brac, Belize, Hawaii, etc. and this just didn’t measure up. The fish were a little bigger than in Hawaii but less of a variety. I don’t think Aruba really caters to diving. La Cabana didn’t even have a place for us to rinse our equipment so we had to do it in the shower and then carry it through the room outside to dry.

There is a wonderful supermarket just across the street that is about ½ the price as in the hotel’s store. The first night we stopped at the onsite store and it was $26 for a medium size bag of Doritos, Cheetos, salsa and a can of Mountain Dew and Pepsi. The market across the street is wonderful - there is a path to the right of La Cabana across to the store.

Easter is a BIG holiday for the Arubans. The beaches are so full of campers and tents it is like their own little city. Everything is closed on Good Friday, Sunday and Monday is the big day off.

We did the island safari on Sunday and it was the best thing we did. It was great. We saw the entire island in a Land Rover. My husband had to drive because he could drive a stick and he loved it. Many of the roads were just rocks and VERY rough but what you saw was worth it. The guides were excellent and so full of energy, enthusiasm and humor. Totally recommend taking the ABC Jeep Safari - full day tour. You get picked-up from your hotel, lunch (we had a choice of spare ribs or chicken on the bone), beverages all day while traveling and a ride back.
La Cabana has really nice outside grills that are cleaned every day. We got steak at the grocery store twice in the nine days we were there and it was really good.

We ate at The Tulip, Screaming Eagle (awesome), Las Rambas, Bugaloe (fun sandwich place) and a must is Zeerover. Zeerover was near Savanto on the water. Check out the YouTube video for a great introduction to the place.Turn right at the Valero gas station as you’re entering town from Orangestad. You choose from the fresh catches of the day, order how many filets you want (we had Grouper, Mahi-Mahi and shrimp), French fries (you get a lot in one order), corn bread (more like pancakes) and it was $23 for the three of us. They don’t take credit cards, just cash. If you go out for a nice dinner (recommend the catch of the day – they were always great) expect to spend at least $30 per dinner and then drinks and dessert.
La Cabana is in the “low rise” district and the cab ride from the airport is $22 (includes one piece of luggage each). You can pay an extra $2 per extra piece but they were very nice and didn’t charge us. We took the two days of free car rental for going to the Bluegreen update and used that the last two days of our trip so we could go to town and a few restaurants and back to the airport. There was a small fee to drop the car off at a different location than pick-up but cheaper than a cab. There are public buses (which we didn’t use) that come down the main road by the beach – timing was always questionable so the first a few days we got picked up or walked to where we wanted to go.
Good luck and safe travels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HIGHLAND MILLS, NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The experience is second to none. We have been going there for 15 straight years, up to 3 times a year, with our children and now for the past 10 years with the gran children. It's like a FAMILY reunion because for the 2nd and 3rd week in January we see the same people from up and down the East coast that we have been friends with for 15 years....calling them n e-mailing them....now that's family.
The renovation is completed and the new casino is nice. The beach YOU CANNOT BEAT. THE BEST..
The employees are always looking out for you and Roderick and the boys, up front ,can't do enough for you. They treat us like family. The prices are reasonable and the food is good. Security is constantly in view and they too are great.
In January I asked one of the managers,Jessica Franken, for a handicapped sticker for one of the tables by the pool for a friend of mine who is handicapped and had to be near the bathroom and pool and within 1 hour the handicapped sticker was put on this table........Need I say more??

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Abilene, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Another great stay at La Cabana. The Casino is finished now, and there are plenty of games. The remodel continues, so expect some construction related activities and noise. You are located on the #1 beach in Aruba, Eagle Beach. Just head to the sand where you can have your own set of chairs under a grass hut along with drink service and 2-for-1 drinks from 4pm to 6pm. Our room was clean and well appointed, with a great view of the pool and the beach beyond. You are not on the sand, but it’s literally a walk across a street with no other buildings or obstructions. Service was friendly and prompt, and even though we have not stayed since 2011, many of the servers and the concierge called us by name. The weather in April was fantastic (it can be a bit hot and humid in September). The pool was never too crowded during our stay, and the Cinnabon has an inexpensive breakfast. You are a cheap cab ride from lots of great restaurants, but you are also close to a huge new supermarket and the rooms have full refrigerators and stoves. Nice gym with lots of new equipment. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Face the ocean on a high floor if available.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was my first visit to La Cabana and my friend and I had a good time. The property is quite large and appears to attract a lot of families, so if you want peace and quiet, this may not be for you. The pool area is fairly large with nice amenities, but it tends to be a bit crowded; if you're more of a beach person however, the property is located on a beautiful stretch of beach with the most amazing white sand and azure-colored water. Although there were several other people on the stretch of beach, we never felt crowded at all and quite enjoyed it.
The two-bedroom condo we stayed in was newly-renovated with a large balcony with ocean view. It was large, nicely-appointed, and very clean. The property is undergoing extensive renovations, so it looks a bit rough at the moment but that will pass. What will remain however is a nice property with good amenities (including a great gym if you like to work out), a friendly staff, and an amazing beach!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was my 1st time in Aruba. It is completely US tourist friendly. They accept American dollars, even the bus & grocery stores have prices listed in American $. Taxis are easy & don't rip you off. The people we encountered all spoke English. The rooms have been renovated, housekeeping does an amazing job especially considering all the sand (wet mopped the floors every single day). Easy access to Eagle Beach, amazing soft sand which is not hot to the foot even on the sunniest of days, fantastic waters with nice waves. Great restaurants on-site & walking distance from the resort, as well as grills in the common areas & full kitchens in the rooms. Casino on-site is small, but has a little of everything. Cute little shops on-site, too. The island, which is a desert, is less than 20 miles long by less than 10 miles wide so activities are somewhat limited. But there is a good sized shopping district for people who want to shop. Unfortunately you have to get to the pool or beach by sunrise to get a hut on the beach or umbrella table by the pool. People stake these out as early as 4am!!! Bottom line - if you're looking for an amazing beach & great food - Aruba all the way!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are preferable. The facility is U shaped with a couple wings off the backside. If...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I returned to La Cabana in March of this year (2013). I stay there at least once a year for a week or more. The last couple of years the resort was undergoing renovations. They are now in the last stages and I am very pleased. The rooms are nice and comfortable. It's great to have a kitchenette so you can opt to make your own food on nights you do not want to eat out if you like. La Cabana is a family friendly beautiful resort with very kind people working there. If you are looking to for a resort WITH THE ATMOSPHERE of the Ritz Carlton look elsewhere. BUT, if you are looking for a place that is beautiful, comfortable and feels like a home away from home La Cabana is for you. If you like to meet nice people, not snobs (again, go to the Ritz), guest who return year after year who just may end up being your friends for life stay at La Cabana.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with your room just go to the front desk with your LEGITIMATE complaint an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!