“Super vacation - Lacabana never fails!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino to your Saves list
La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   J. E. Irausquin Blvd. 250, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
“Super vacation - Lacabana never fails!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We have been coming for over 17 yrs now and just love every minute of our stay. We stayed from 10/20/12 to 11/3/12. Yes the resort is under renovations but each and every year we see the improvements. It's just getting better and better . Soon to open now is it's very own casino- WOW what more can you ask for. Would like to see more beach fashion stores open. Rooms are always clean and grounds always in great shape. We always go in October and can't wait until next October already. The customer service staff was very pleasant and helpful. We had the opportunity to deal with the manager as I was nursing a leg injury and she was so helpful and accommodating.... Thank you Masha Danki !

Room Tip: Best choice is pool and ocean view

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Mansfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We checked in on Oct 26 a little early so our room was not ready, was told about an hour an we could get in (Cynthia was awesome) so off to lunch at the Islander Grill, yummy... moved into our room (studio) the room was great, the pool was great, the bar was great (Orlando and Franklyn made some awesome drinks) never had a problem getting a palapa at the beach (at different times everyday) well not front row of the ocean but who really cares your on the beach in Aruba. Ended up have to stay 2 extra nights cause of the storm in the states, did not have any trouble getting a room, worn our suits and dropped our stuff off in the new room, they were just cleaning it up so we headed to the pool for somemore sun. The woman from the Bluegreen desk were great, ended up having them set up some reservations for us. Overall we had a wonderful time at La Cabana, my only gripe was the internet connection, it very very SLOW. Until next year!!!

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I spent the week of October 27-November 3rd at La Cabana. This was the week of the Superstorm on the East Coast. We arrived on the Saturday without any problems. Later on we would discover that people had trouble flying in and out of Aruba because of the storm. The concierge desk did a good job of keeping everyone updated on flights. This is where the free internet came in handed for most folks. The internet connection wasn't very good but you could get the basics.

We arrived at around 2:45 p.m. and our room was not ready. We were given all of our identification wrist bands, towel cards etc. We were given a welcome package by the Bluegreen Reps and asked if we wanted to tour the facility. We politely declined. We were approached a couple of other times but declined both times and never felt pressured to do the tour.

Our overall impressions of the resort were that it will be very nice once renovations are complete. Our unit had been renovated and was in good shape. There were sections that were still undergoing renovations and it was loud and messy looking in some areas. The construction involved the new casino as well.

The pool area was always well kept. We did see security walking around a removing towels and belongings after 90 minutes. At times the waitstaff would come around and ask if you wanted a drink from the bar. Happy hour was nice. We ate in both the Island Grill and Las Ramblas. The Island grill was hit or miss depending on what you order. We ate at Las Ramblas twice it was so good.

The concierge desk was great for getting reservations at local restaurants. I would recommend using them. Their advise was spot on as well.

Overall we enjoyed Aruba very much. The convenience and the location of La Cabana as well as the unhurried lifestyle truly made our vacation delightful.

La Cabana is not fancy nor does it pretend to be. It is a quiet, relaxing and soothing vacation. Go with it and enjoy.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family purchased timeshare at LCBRC when it was a floorplan. Overall, LCBRC is great and centrally located. Best beach....Eagle Beach. The rooms were renovated and CONSTRUCTION is still going on (on aruban time). Be sure to call in advance to make sure you are not in the construction area for your visit this year. It is loud. The bell staff headed by Roderick is great. My housekeeper Cynthia is an extended member of the family. Kurt, the night clerk is great as well. Happy hour happens 3xs a day! See Amardillo (I love this man!) or Kenneth at the bar. They will do you right everytime.

My only complaint is about the new management. I am not a fan of the GM who is patronizing and irreverent to the owners. He has no forethought on how to deal with issues & is rarely on the island. If you renovate make sure you do it right the first time...not after you have rain coming in a suite & realize you did not put sealant around the windows. The point of having a suite with a full kitchen is so you can cook in it or chose to go out to eat. So please stop telling owners that they should do otherwise. Also, if you treat your staff with the respect they deserve & earn everyday....they will do right by you.

If you are a person who prefers a quieter vacation...do not go Columbus Day weekend or on major holidays.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside facing the beach are the best. You need a key card to get in those hallways and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Joe N, General Manager at La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good Day,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your recent stay at La Cabana.
I appreciate your recognition of so many of our associates that continue to make a difference in your vacation experience and I will certainly pass on your kind words.
The renovation is almost over except for the east side of the guest rooms building and elevator landings which will have new railings and a complete concrete and coating by early 2013. Additionally, the south and north parking lots should be lined, landscaped and ready for use around that same time as well.
If I was unavailable to you during your recent stay and you would like to share or elaborate on any other point that you may have, please contact me by email at joe.n@lacabanabrc.com
I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to La Cabana.
Kind Regards,
Joe Najjar
Union City, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I visited Aruba for the very first time from October 18-25, 2012. This was the week before Superstorm Sandy hit the East Coast. Whereas we really enjoyed Aruba, we were extremely disappointed with La Cabana. Listed below are our observations, in no particular order.

1) After reading the many reviews on TripAdvisor regarding La Cabana and reading the manager's responses, I decided to write the manager of La Cabana for some general advice for first time tourists and to request a ocean or pool view room. The manager did not even bother to respond to my email. This was surely a sign of things to come.
2) We rented a car from Avis (not related to this review of La Cabana, but I highly recommend that anyone renting a car in Aruba not go through Avis. I'm not sure how the other rental agencies are, but it can't be worse than Avis.) and drove to La Cabana. There are no signs along the street indicating that you need to turn in to a side street to drive in to La Cabana. Every first time driver will drive right past the hotel.
3) Upon check-in, we again requested a ocean or pool view room. We were informed that since we checked-in on a Thursday, we are only allowed the trashy "motel" type rooms out in the wings. They call these rooms "garden view", but looks at the pictures I've attached. There is no garden nor is there any views. They had better rooms available, but would not give one to us since it was Thursday. Not only is this a stupid policy, but it shows that they don't care about guest satisfaction.
4) We were informed beforehand that the resort was undergoing renovations and would be completed in November, which is only 1-2 weeks from my visit. Again, look at the attached pictures and you can clearly see that either this was far from completion or if this is the completed condition, it is certainly terrible.
5) The room itself was not as big of a disappointment. We can see that the room was mostly remodeled. The bathroom, shower, kitchen tops and cabinets and floors were in nice condition. The dishwasher, microwave, bed, sofa and curtains seem very outdated. The television channels kept losing its satellite signals so the programming kept cutting out, which is extremely annoying when you're watching a show. Also, the internet service kept losing its connection as well. Again, very annoying for a service that you have to pay for.
6) Most hotels and resorts have free wi-fi in the common areas, but La Cabana has none.
7) On our second day, we were contacted by their timeshare people, Bluegreen, and solicited to attend a 90 minute presentation, which turned out to be over two hours. I really don't understand the sales tactics of these timeshare sales people. If they want me to spend more money with them, why do they place me in such an ugly and dirty area of the hotel? I mean, if I was trying to sell something, I would try to impress the potential customer. I told them that we were extremely disappointed with La Cabana and would never stay there again much less spend any more money buying a timeshare from them. They were not surprised by my comments.
8) The staff was quite pleasant but nothing out of the ordinary. I would have given La Cabana just a one star rating but decided to give two only because the staff was courteous.
9) La Cabana requires you to wear a wrist band identifying that you are a guest. Again, very annoying. I personally do not like wearing anything on my wrist for an entire week. This was very uncomfortable for me and I cut it off during the second day. I was never approached by any staff member asking if I was a guest.
10) Within minutes of our arrival, my wife was already complaining about how La Cabana was the worst of our lodgings in our many years of travels. We instantly wanted to find another place to stay but we could not get a refund of our payment.
11) I can only presume that the positive comments about La Cabana came from people who had access to the nicer (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) rooms. The outside wing that we we placed was like a dirty, cheap motel, with rusted railings and peeling stucco.
12) The pool area was nice and the restaurant grill was good. Nothing spectacular but at least it wasn't a disappointment like the rest of the property.

In summary, you can be satisfied staying here if you are used to modest or low-cost accommodations. However, if you prefer anything of quality, I highly recommend just about any other hotel/resort. Finally, don't be fooled by the perceived sincerity of the manager's responses to comments here on TripAdvisor. Based on my experience at La Cabana, guest satisfaction is not their priority.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't stay at La Cabana.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joe N, General Manager at La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Good Afternoon Mr Lue,
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us.
I realize that we fell short of your expectations, at the very early stage of your planned vacation, by not responding to your email but I can assure you that it was an honest oversight on our part and in no way does it reflect on our commitment to customer focus.
Your Oct 10 email was received and forwarded for follow up. Unfortunately, the manager omitted to do so and, during your stay spoke to your wife to apologize about this oversight. During that same conversation, your wife also confirmed that the amenity that we sent for her birthday and your belated anniversary was very much appreciated.
As part of our current renovation, we have an average of 80 rooms that are out of order because of the work being done on the interior corridors used to access them. Those rooms may have appeared available to you but in reality they were unavailable as a safety precaution. That is precisely why our Front Office Agent could not offer you an OF or Pool view room, they were simply unavailable.
The pictures you posted are definitely not the actual garden view from your room 211B... but rather random pictures of the East side of the resort along with an outside wall picture of one of our breezeways that are, indeed, still under renovation.
As of January 2013, free WiFi will be available free of charge for basic email correspondences and extensive signage will be installed on Eagle beach to help direct first time visitors.
I am not sure I understood your statement about "wanting to find another place to stay but could not get a refund of payment"...Your reservation was made by Interval Int'l and had you shared your displeasure with us from the start, we would have attempted to contact II to find you another on island accomodation.
Mr. Lue, I empathize with how you may have felt by getting no reply to your email and your dissatisfaction with the view from your room and I sincerely apologize for the way this affected your stay.
I'll let the readers of Trip Advisor posts judge the sincerity of my responses!
Kind Regards,
Joe Najjar
Sun Lakes, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although we've been to Aruba on a cruise, this was our first trip to stay there. The resort is beautiful, being renovated and our unit had been done and was very nice. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and the way our unit faced, we were always in the shade, so spending time on the lanai was possible. The only problem I had was that, unlike other places we stay, they didn't provide paper towels, salt and pepper and coffee pot filters. I know that's not a big deal, but if those things are important to you, bring them with you. The staff was great, especially the concierge staff. They were very helpful. Although we probably won't go back because it's a long flight for us from Phoenix, we would recommend it. The food was good, the drinks were good, the weather was good and what more can you ask for.

Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our timeshare week is in May but our last 4 trips I've been swapping for October. I was a bit nervous about swapping our 1 bedroom for a studio but was pleasantly surprised at how spacious the studio was. I was also a little disappointed to see I was assigned a room on the ground floor and would miss our beautiful view but I ended up loving the convenience of the ground floor and being able to exit and enter the unit from the pool side without having to walk through the lobby all the time. The view wasn't missed all that much because we were on the beach within minutes of exiting the studio from the patio and had the view at our toes.

I haven't been there since 2008 and the I love the new look of the outside of the building, really makes a huge difference, I love the colors. I do miss the tropical feel of the old lobby, the new one is beautiful but it seems a bit Manhattan to me but the turquoise colors help take that feel away...with the big pond gone it is much more spacious but I really loved that pond. I also miss the upstairs bar which is now office space. There is a pool table up there and also 6 computers that can be used for free by guests (15 minute time limit when people are waiting to use them). The casino seemed to be coming along, by the time we left on Oct 20, slot machines were in place and lit up. They were also testing the big screen that surrounds the casino entrance. Looks like it will be bigger than I imagined.

The studio is very nicely decorated and is so spacious that it was not the "hotel room" I thought it would be. There was a nice sized kitchenette with a huge granite counter to sit at with both chairs and benches. Full stove, microwave and all you would need to make a meal if that's your thing (it's not mine...LOL) At first, I was a bit taken back by the full size bed (our 1 bedroom has a king) but it was fine and it was very comfortable. Also a separate sitting area with the TV and this is where you exit the unit to the back patio. The bathroom is large and there is also a nice walk in closet with an additional armoire and dresser between the bed and sitting area.

We didn't spend much time at the pool, but I did have to get down that slide a few times so we did spend some time there before hitting the beach one day. The beach was perfect during our stay...some surface seaweed that disappeared and reappeared from day to day but nothing major. Water was perfect temperature, crystal clear and calm enough for floating and we spend many hours floating around. We got a palapa everyday, even got a the same front row one 3 days in a row which was great- and we are not early birds at all. While looking for some noodles to buy, we found out that you can borrow noodles for free from the children's rec room and return them at the end of the week. I'm not sure if this is always the case, while we were there we didn't see many kids so maybe that's why it was offered to us..but again, not sure it could be the norm all year round for all I know....it was great to be have them because a noodle is all I need to float very happily.

We didn't eat any meals at LaCabana except one breakfast. I really wanted to make it to Las Ramblas, it is getting such great reviews but we never made it because we were out and about so much at night and let our taste buds decide our restaurants for the night. I'll be sure to put it on my list for our next trip. We only had one reservation all week and that was for Carte Blanche - so glad I made that reservation months in advance - incredible experience. The rest of the week we were winging it and did very well this way, even though I missed a few places on my restaurant list, a week just isn't long enough for all the great food options.

As usual, the grounds and rooms at LaCabana are very clean, they did change the color of their towels mid week to burgandy, so I guess this will be their new color for a while. The pool as usual, was always very lively every day - bingo, happy hour with live music and lots of activity going on.

Happy hours are great savings but the variety of drinks offered is very limited and were the same everyday which I thought was pretty lame...they should work on that. If they are going to limit the happy hour choices at least switch them up daily. I'm not a big drinker so it didn't affect us much but I do like to have one Brown Lady every now and then and they are not included in happy hour. I'm sure people who really enjoy happy hour would appreciate a bigger variety.

There was an issue with the construction...we arrived on Saturday and all was fine until Wednesday morning when I woke up with my heart splattered on the ceiling because our alarm clock was jack hammers breaking the floors above us - yes jack hammers. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had been prepared, especially because upon check in I specifically asked if there would be any construction issues around that unit and was told no. I don't ever use an alarm clock on vacation and certainly didn't want to be woken up by the building sounding like it was falling down. The ceiling fan above us was even shaking...it was an absolutely horrible sound.

When I called the front desk to ask them if the building was collapsing I was referred to the manager who informed me that "they cannot stop construction" - as if this is what I was expecting...I explained that I just would have appreciated a heads up on the situation upon check in and thought that was poor customer service. She agreed and said she "would have a talk with the person who checked us in" and offered to move our room but I certainly didn't want to pack up and move mid week - especially because we also had friends right next door to us and certainly didn't want to get anyone at the desk in trouble...my whole point was - I appreciate the willingness to move us, but why put anyone in the room to begin with, not warn them about it and then "solve it" by moving them mid week?? How about telling me before I get in there and let me decide what to do?? I would have been much happier if she offered up a massage or dinner voucher to make up for the heart attack I had (which was really the main reason for my meltdown, I wish to never be woken up in that manner ever again) but she didn't offer anything but the move and I wasn't going to ask for anything from her...just wanted some customer service and it didn't seem to be available that day. So from that day on, I was then prepared for the all day jack hammer and luckily woke up before it happened in the next mornings but there were no after beach naps those next few days or watching TV because you couldn't hear it, and that was fine - it kept us busy outside the resort and as long as I wasn't scared half to death over the whole thing I wasn't cranky about it especially because I do appreciate the improvements they are making. The new carpet-less hallways are SO MUCH NICER! So glad to see those tiled floors.

Other than the jack hammer glitch, everything else about our stay went very well. The property is still very well maintained, there is still some work being done on the beachfront units but the overall appearance has changed dramatically since our last visit and I really love the look of it.

The mini mart has changed a bit since our last visit also, but their prices are still not outrageous and it's very convenient to pick up a few things without having to pay big $. Since we do carry on only, I had to buy my sunscreen in Aruba and wanted it the minute we arrived. Went to Aruba Aloe at LaCabana and almost fainted when I saw the new prices - $20 for like 6 oz of sunscreen ?!?!!? - I think I'll pass. Went to the mini mart and found a great variety with prices just like home $9 for my body stuff and another $9 for my face stuff - and they were both much larger bottles. I had some sunscreen left at the end of the trip and gave it to a family by the pool who appreciated it very much. LaCabana also had another shop in the lobby with a bunch of sunglasses that were also very reasonable (I forgot my black ones home) found several that I couldn't decide upon and finally snatched a pair up for $14. I was very pleased with not feeling gauged by hotel lobby shops.

It was a great trip and can't wait to return again...without the jackhammers :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!