“Great times at LaCabana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino

Save Saved
You added La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino to your Saves list
La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   J. E. Irausquin Blvd. 250, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Astoria, New York
“Great times at LaCabana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our timeshare week is in May but our last 4 trips I've been swapping for October. I was a bit nervous about swapping our 1 bedroom for a studio but was pleasantly surprised at how spacious the studio was. I was also a little disappointed to see I was assigned a room on the ground floor and would miss our beautiful view but I ended up loving the convenience of the ground floor and being able to exit and enter the unit from the pool side without having to walk through the lobby all the time. The view wasn't missed all that much because we were on the beach within minutes of exiting the studio from the patio and had the view at our toes.

I haven't been there since 2008 and the I love the new look of the outside of the building, really makes a huge difference, I love the colors. I do miss the tropical feel of the old lobby, the new one is beautiful but it seems a bit Manhattan to me but the turquoise colors help take that feel away...with the big pond gone it is much more spacious but I really loved that pond. I also miss the upstairs bar which is now office space. There is a pool table up there and also 6 computers that can be used for free by guests (15 minute time limit when people are waiting to use them). The casino seemed to be coming along, by the time we left on Oct 20, slot machines were in place and lit up. They were also testing the big screen that surrounds the casino entrance. Looks like it will be bigger than I imagined.

The studio is very nicely decorated and is so spacious that it was not the "hotel room" I thought it would be. There was a nice sized kitchenette with a huge granite counter to sit at with both chairs and benches. Full stove, microwave and all you would need to make a meal if that's your thing (it's not mine...LOL) At first, I was a bit taken back by the full size bed (our 1 bedroom has a king) but it was fine and it was very comfortable. Also a separate sitting area with the TV and this is where you exit the unit to the back patio. The bathroom is large and there is also a nice walk in closet with an additional armoire and dresser between the bed and sitting area.

We didn't spend much time at the pool, but I did have to get down that slide a few times so we did spend some time there before hitting the beach one day. The beach was perfect during our stay...some surface seaweed that disappeared and reappeared from day to day but nothing major. Water was perfect temperature, crystal clear and calm enough for floating and we spend many hours floating around. We got a palapa everyday, even got a the same front row one 3 days in a row which was great- and we are not early birds at all. While looking for some noodles to buy, we found out that you can borrow noodles for free from the children's rec room and return them at the end of the week. I'm not sure if this is always the case, while we were there we didn't see many kids so maybe that's why it was offered to us..but again, not sure it could be the norm all year round for all I know....it was great to be have them because a noodle is all I need to float very happily.

We didn't eat any meals at LaCabana except one breakfast. I really wanted to make it to Las Ramblas, it is getting such great reviews but we never made it because we were out and about so much at night and let our taste buds decide our restaurants for the night. I'll be sure to put it on my list for our next trip. We only had one reservation all week and that was for Carte Blanche - so glad I made that reservation months in advance - incredible experience. The rest of the week we were winging it and did very well this way, even though I missed a few places on my restaurant list, a week just isn't long enough for all the great food options.

As usual, the grounds and rooms at LaCabana are very clean, they did change the color of their towels mid week to burgandy, so I guess this will be their new color for a while. The pool as usual, was always very lively every day - bingo, happy hour with live music and lots of activity going on.

Happy hours are great savings but the variety of drinks offered is very limited and were the same everyday which I thought was pretty lame...they should work on that. If they are going to limit the happy hour choices at least switch them up daily. I'm not a big drinker so it didn't affect us much but I do like to have one Brown Lady every now and then and they are not included in happy hour. I'm sure people who really enjoy happy hour would appreciate a bigger variety.

There was an issue with the construction...we arrived on Saturday and all was fine until Wednesday morning when I woke up with my heart splattered on the ceiling because our alarm clock was jack hammers breaking the floors above us - yes jack hammers. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had been prepared, especially because upon check in I specifically asked if there would be any construction issues around that unit and was told no. I don't ever use an alarm clock on vacation and certainly didn't want to be woken up by the building sounding like it was falling down. The ceiling fan above us was even shaking...it was an absolutely horrible sound.

When I called the front desk to ask them if the building was collapsing I was referred to the manager who informed me that "they cannot stop construction" - as if this is what I was expecting...I explained that I just would have appreciated a heads up on the situation upon check in and thought that was poor customer service. She agreed and said she "would have a talk with the person who checked us in" and offered to move our room but I certainly didn't want to pack up and move mid week - especially because we also had friends right next door to us and certainly didn't want to get anyone at the desk in trouble...my whole point was - I appreciate the willingness to move us, but why put anyone in the room to begin with, not warn them about it and then "solve it" by moving them mid week?? How about telling me before I get in there and let me decide what to do?? I would have been much happier if she offered up a massage or dinner voucher to make up for the heart attack I had (which was really the main reason for my meltdown, I wish to never be woken up in that manner ever again) but she didn't offer anything but the move and I wasn't going to ask for anything from her...just wanted some customer service and it didn't seem to be available that day. So from that day on, I was then prepared for the all day jack hammer and luckily woke up before it happened in the next mornings but there were no after beach naps those next few days or watching TV because you couldn't hear it, and that was fine - it kept us busy outside the resort and as long as I wasn't scared half to death over the whole thing I wasn't cranky about it especially because I do appreciate the improvements they are making. The new carpet-less hallways are SO MUCH NICER! So glad to see those tiled floors.

Other than the jack hammer glitch, everything else about our stay went very well. The property is still very well maintained, there is still some work being done on the beachfront units but the overall appearance has changed dramatically since our last visit and I really love the look of it.

The mini mart has changed a bit since our last visit also, but their prices are still not outrageous and it's very convenient to pick up a few things without having to pay big $. Since we do carry on only, I had to buy my sunscreen in Aruba and wanted it the minute we arrived. Went to Aruba Aloe at LaCabana and almost fainted when I saw the new prices - $20 for like 6 oz of sunscreen ?!?!!? - I think I'll pass. Went to the mini mart and found a great variety with prices just like home $9 for my body stuff and another $9 for my face stuff - and they were both much larger bottles. I had some sunscreen left at the end of the trip and gave it to a family by the pool who appreciated it very much. LaCabana also had another shop in the lobby with a bunch of sunglasses that were also very reasonable (I forgot my black ones home) found several that I couldn't decide upon and finally snatched a pair up for $14. I was very pleased with not feeling gauged by hotel lobby shops.

It was a great trip and can't wait to return again...without the jackhammers :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I loved my entire stay in Aruba. The hotel's locating was perfect! The people were friendly! Every single person in that island spoke several languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese etc). The hotel had an awesome pool and a fabulous bar!!

• Stayed June 2012
Pine Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My family and I stayed here during Easter week. We had a fabulous time and would recommend it highly. First of all, we have been to many islands and Aruba now ranks up there with St. John as our favorite The people are friendly, we felt safe, the weather is perfect, and there is plenty to see and do. La Cabana is not as upscale or modern as the Starwood resorts where we usually stay, but it was clean and decent and the location on Eagle beach could not be beat. Eagle beach is part of the low rise district, and it is much more low key and tranquil than the high rise district down the road. Before going, we noted many people complained about not being able to get an umbrella/cabana on the beach --but we never experienced this. No matter what time we went, there were always lounge chairs with a table/umbrella to be found. We ate at the restaurant once for lunch and it was fine. We had a room with a kitchen so we also used the grills by the pool. The rooms were a little smaller than expected; we had to move the dining room table when we pulled out the sofa bed. There is a local grocery store nearby. You will be advised to take a taxi there -- but that will run you about $7 each way. We walked and it was only about a half a mile. I would stronly suggest renting a Jeep for some of your stay. We had one for two days and saw the entire island at our leisure. You abolutely must have 4 wheel drive to travel the North coast of the island. The views there are spectacular --ocean, cactus, mountains, and beach next to one another. The name of the resort is a little misleading -- there are no tennis courts at the resort. They do have racquet ball and squash courts, although strangely, when we asked how to play squash, no one knew. All in all, we would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Madison Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon and we were not disappointed. We knew that there was some construction but that didn't bother us at all. The room was amazing and the pool and beach were just as lovely. We are going back in February and our hopes are high that we will have another great experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at La Cabana. Great location just across the street from Eagle Beach. The rooms were comfortable and clean with sufficient space and amenities. I wasn't expecting maid service to be included, so that was a pleasant surprise. I knew there would be renovations going on and this was not a problem ~ not loud or intrusive ~ even with scafoling just outside our balcony. We still used the balcony without any structural, visual or personnel problems. Hot water for showers took a moment some evenings. We could check-in upon arrival and the staff was courteous for the most part ~ the people of Aruba were not overly warm and fuzzy in general. I was happy there was a convenience store as part of the resort, as I forgot a few items (extra lotion, razor). I was disappointed there was no ATM but walked across the street to get to one at Tropicana's Casino. The restaurant options on the resort were OK but not great. Bring your own coffee (couldn't find a decent cup o' Joe on the whole island!). Concierge and taxi services were awesome. I would suggest having the concierge make your restaurant and excursion reservations for you ~ as opposed to making local calls from your room ($$$). Free internet at 24-hour public computer stations was a plus.

Room Tip: Ocean view had renovations going on
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Decent stay. They were working on the resort, so it was pretty annoying at times, but we we were made aware of the construction before we went down. The only thing that kind of stunk was that they were working right outside our room a couple mornings so we were awakened around 7:00-7:30. We had a little issue during the room change we had to make halfway through the week as they weren't going to let us go into a pool-side view without an upgrade, but hats off to the staff as the day manager was able to make the upgrade for no additional fee. Overall a quality place, with a large pool, 2 good restaurants on site and once the construction of the casino is complete this will be a hot spot!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Camp Springs, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I was a little skeptical at first after reading the reviews, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. Renovation was on-going but was happy to see the progress. It will make the stay more enjoyable next time.

Pros
- Curteous and friendly staff
- Clean rooms - maid service everyday
- Rooms were ready when we checked in - no long lines
- Taxis were are always ready to take us wherever we wanted to go. Resort is also on the bus line
- Plenty of access to Eagle beach

Cons
- Drinks were a little watered down
- Sofa was more comfortable than the bed
- I experienced the dark and moldy hallway - hopefully this will be addressed in the renovation.
- Food was mediocre at best

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!