“Almost Perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bay Area, CA
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary at the Ritz Carlton Aruba. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted with Champagne and then surprised with an upgrade to a suite. This is by far, the best welcome we have ever received at a Ritz Carlton (the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas is a close second with cold towels and rum punch upon arrival). Check-in was very quick - we didn't have to wait in line - we arrived around 4:00 pm on a Sunday. The bell hop and our luggage were waiting for us when we got to our room. We were also escorted to our room by a member of the hotel staff and given a mini tour/overview of the resort and its amenities.

The hotel is simpler in design compared to the Ritz Carlton's other Caribbean locations, however, the Aruba property has an understated elegance about it. In honestly, I found some of the decor of the main corridors of their Grand Cayman property to be a bit gaudy. So this fresh, modern take on luxury was quite nice.

Room/Housekeeping:
Our suite was gorgeous and very spacious - we had Parlor Suite (one bedroom with living room, foyer with wardrobe, a good size work/desk area, and had a large balcony that could be reached from both the bedroom and living room areas.). The large room made our 9 day stay very comfortable. The wardrobe in the foyer and the dresser in the bedroom provided plenty of space for us to unpack all of our belongings. Housekeeping was fantastic. The room was always spotless and we always had plenty of fresh towels, and bottled water. Housekeeping went so far, as to hang up items that we forgot to, and organize items on the vanities and night stands. Everything was always in tip top shape and turn down service came like clockwork each night while we were out at dinner. There was always chocolates waiting when we got back. The bed was also very comfortable and was set up with extra down pillows as requested. My only complaint would be the in room entertainment options. Yes, we do not go on a beach vacation to watch TV/Movies, but we like to watch some TV or a movie before bed. The hotel does not have pay-per-view (this is the first hotel I have ever been to without it) and the TV service was very spotty and quite often was not available during our stay. We were told that engineering would look into it, but it never improved during our stay. Also, we were unable to watch any of the west coast baseball games. On the east coast games were broadcast. What gives?

Beach Service:
We spent all of our time at the beach and the beach service really needs to improve. Right now, Grand Cayman takes the cake for best beach service. There were some days when we had to go back and fourth to the bar ourselves in order to get drinks because the beach wait staff did not come around to check on us (even with our flag up, which is supposed to signal that we need service). Other days the service was great. I would like to thank Essmainlin and Danny for their excellent service on the beach. When these two gentlemen were around, out service was astounding. Also Arturo at the beach bar made great drinks and was fun to talk to. He provided some great tips on places to attend for nightlife.

We also had a small problem one day with our beach chair set-up. We reserved/had them set up in the morning (7:00 am) and during the time while we were eating breakfast (1 hr), all of our belongings were moved without our knowledge. Apparently, the beach/towel hut double booked our chairs and they were already set up for another set of guests. This is interesting since the chairs did not have any towels on them until we asked for them to be set up. Anyway, after 10-15 minutes of trying to find our stuff and sort out the issue, we were told that other chairs were set up for us and we were taken to them. These chairs were behind a grove of trees and the view of the ocean was completely obstructed. Our original chairs were in the second row and had a clear ocean view. This solution was not acceptable to us (especially since we were not even informed of the move) and we asked to speak to the beach manager. Come to find out this was the manager's original solution to what had happened. I quickly explained that this was not acceptable and he promptly had two chairs set-up in the front row for us with a bimini cover. Now, that is an acceptable resolution to their mess up.

Pool:
There are two pools; one for adults and one for kids/family. The adult pool was too hot and heated like a hot tub. Also the pool is only 3 to 3.5 feet deep across the entire pool (I am 5'9" and my husband is 6'3") and we found it to be too shallow for swimming. We didn't really come to use the pool anyway, but when we tried it, we found these issues.

Food:
We never had dinner on property, however, we did eat lunch on the beach each day and had breakfast some mornings. Overall, the food choices for lunch are very limited. The all day room service menu provides better choices. Let down and bored by the beach lunch menu two days into our trip, I asked if a turkey club sandwich from the room service menu could be prepared by the beach restaurant. My request was happily granted and this is what I proceeded to eat for lunch each day at the beach for the remainder of the trip. The daily specials offered were blah and expensive. Yes, I know this is a Ritz Carlton, but $30 for a quesadilla without any sides is really pushing it. I found $22 for a sizable turkey club with french fries or a side salad to be a much better deal. I would really like to see more options added to their menu (e.g. more sandwiches and healthy options preferably).

Outside of the breakfast buffet there is complimentary coffee set up each morning from 7:00 am to 9:30 am. Coffee ran out of couple of times before the 9:30 ending time, however, the restaurant was more than happy to pour a cup for me. The breakfast buffet itself was very good - better than St. Thomas and Grand Cayman. The buffet at this property is larger and offers more options. Service as also quick and friendly.

We ordered room service four times during our stay; once for breakfast, once for a late night snack, once for desert and once for a bottle of Champagne. Each time our orders were delivered in under 30 minutes and the room service staff was friendly and eager set up everything for us and to make sure everything was to our satisfaction.

Location:
The hotel is located at the very end of Palm Beach and is very peaceful and quiet compared to the other resorts located along the beach. Due to its location the foot traffic is pretty limited, as everything else is located in the opposite direction. This is by far the best hotel in Aruba hands down. We walked down the entire beach one day and in and out of all the resorts and nothing even comes close. Also, the Ritz Carlton is the ONLY hotel that provides cushions for the beach chairs (this is a must for me, and a deal breaker if the resort does not offer this). The rest of the resorts (Marriott included) have beach loungers without cushions and dilapidated palapas. The sand at the Ritz is also nicer, nicer in that, it is free of debris. We were only approached once, by someone trying to sell something, however, most of the time, the Ritz Carlton has security walking up and down the beach to keep non-guests and potential peddlers moving along.

Spa: I visited the spa once during our trip to have a massage. I had a 50 min signature massage and it was nice. My only complaint is that my massage therapist (a male) was quite chatty. I'm on vacation to relax, not chit chat. Other than that, the spa facilities were nice. Compared to Grand Cayman, this spa is pretty run of the mill.

Fitness Center: Overall, I was not impressed with the fitness center nor the classes offered. The fitness center is very small and the equipment was limited. Yes, they had exercise bikes, but not spin bikes. I was looking forward to spinning during vacation, as they mentioned it on their website. There is a small room off to the side in which you can stretch, however, I am also really into pilates and found their equipment to be lacking (e.g. no bosu balls, mini/squishy balls, resistance bands or toning rings).

Cabs: Despite calling down for a cab 10 minutes before we needed to leave the hotel, we found the wait for cabs to be a bit long. We were late for our dinner reservations twice due to having to wait. Also, even though we would call for a cab and literally run down to the lobby, our cab was given away to whatever guests happen to get their before us. The system of calling and reserving cabs for guests needs to be improved.

Wifi: The wifi is free and the service inside the hotel is great, however, the service on the beach is very poor. I wanted the connection to steam music, however, it wasn't possible due to the connection. Suggestion - add additional wifi routers and or hotspots by the beach/pool area. The login process is very easy and I only had to login on the first day of my stay. This is great, as I have stayed at other hotels that require new complex daily logins every 24 hours.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and can't wait to return. I would tend to say that I favor the Grand Cayman property in terms of amenities and service, however, we enjoyed Aruba as an island much much more than Grand Cayman (better food, nicer people, etc.). This property is still under a year old and you can tell that they are working hard to resolve any kinks. However, they do need to improve their service on the beach (currently inconsistent IMHO), expand their lunch menu, figure out how to keep guests happy during loud events that are being hosted at the hotel, offer better in room entertainment options and better manage the cab situation.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. The "limited" view rooms have a view of the ocean that overl...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Tiffiany_Holmes, Hotel Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear KL83,

Thank you for your post on The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba. Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary. It is always an honor being chosen as the hotel to share in special occasions such as this. I was delighted to read you received such a warm welcome from our ladies and gentlemen. I do also see you were able to use all the amenities of the resort. I will certainly share all your feedback with our management team.

Thank you for your loyalty to The Ritz-Carlton, LLC. On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen, we look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba where your beach chairs “with cushions” awaits you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Cape Coral, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I recently stayed at this property during the week of July 4 and had a wonderful time! Upon arrival, we were given a glass of champagne and escorted to a beautiful oceanfront room. The room was very clean and spacious and the maid service was excellent throughout our stay. The service at the pool and beach was very good, although inconsistent. There were several times, we had to get up and find someone to help us. I was hoping to spend more time at the beach but the wind was blowing too hard to really enjoy lounging there without being pelted by sand. We did not notice that problem at our previous stays at the Marriott. I'm not sure if adding Tikki Huts at the Ritz would help. The adult pool was very peaceful but there were people smoking at the pool which the staff did not address. Also, the only restaurant that was open for lunch was outdoors by the pool, so if you wanted to eat in an air conditioned restaurant on property mid-day, you were unable to do so. It could also use some more plantings and fresh flowers. This is a beautiful property. The staff was very helpful and friendly but, in my opinion, it was not indicative of the usual Ritz Carlton standards ...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear jeannien604,

Thank you for your post on The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba. I was delighted to read you were provided such a warm welcome from our ladies and gentlemen. I would agree with you that the oceanfront rooms are beautiful. I do appreciate your feedback regarding your pool and beach experience and will certainly share with our management team.

The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba on a future vacation.

Wilson, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We just returned from 6 nights at the RC Aruba. We have stayed at many Ritz Carltons because of the overall high quality of service, culinary experiences, and facilities. Given the wide range of commentary on this hotel, we were not sure what to expect. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation enjoying all the amenities other reviewers mention ( paddle boards, kayaks, lovely beach etc) and almost no negatives of importance. The staff is very gracious and greeted us by name throughout the stay. How do they do that? Our rooms (an Executive suite featuring a large balcony and huge bathroom, and a king room) were immaculately serviced and we had plenty of sparkling, white towels. If you must have an umbrella and chaises in the front rows, you need to get down to the beach before breakfast. However, there were plenty of umbrellas and chaises and the beach staff tries very hard to meet all requests

. Re dining: email the concierge ahead of your trip for suggestions and reservations. I would advise having at least your first night reservation made ahead of time if you wish to eat at the hotel and at a specific time. If you are interested in modern cuisine, do not miss White Modern located near the Ritz. Make a res through the Ritz or online. At the Ritz, Les Crustaces was very good and the staff very gracious. They are striving to bring the freshest of seafood to the Ritz- you might find it odd that this is a problem on Aruba, but food distribution is a challenge there. We spoke with their Executive Chef when he happened to be surveying the breakfast at Solanio. Executive Chef Steven is very amiable as well as very experienced, and he knows seafood- originally from Rhode Island. The steamers he cooked for us at Solanio were top notch. The wine lists at the Ritz are not extensive, but they are well thought out. The lack of vintages required us to examine several bottles, but the wines we selected were all pleasing and the price structure was very fair. I am in the wine business and I know prices. Interestingly, the wait staff was not used to a woman ordering and tasting the wine. Even when I ordered the wine, they would expect my husband to taste! However, this happens in many restaurants and is gradually changing.

One comment about Ritz Kids. Our son is grown, but we stayed at RCs with him when he was young. Ritz does a great job in this regard but, many parents make this a challenge. We saw a boy riding his scooter in the lobby of the Ritz- people dodging him as his Father beamed. While enjoying a drink at the bar adjacent to the Lobby, there were kids running all over the place,many barefooted. The Ritz concierge was picking up their shoes and flip flops looking for parents to deliver them to. I love kids, but I wonder about the parents' sense of appropriate behavior in a hotel which strives for elegance as well as graciousness. Sometimes things don't go well because guests are off the mark...

The spa is gorgeous and staff well trained.

Bill accuracy: we find our RC bills are often inaccurate. I always check them carefully, and keep track of our charges. In Aruba, we had a charge which was likely from the room's previous occupant. We also were not given the correct credit amount due on the Comfort You package. And, oddly, the cabana charged is identified as Ritz Kids. Wake up on that one Ritz! However, these mistakes were quickly corrected with apologies, so all is well that ends well.

The breakfast staff at Solanio is practically perfect- great service and smiles. The staff at Les Crustaces is equally gracious as is Delia at the bar. Well, really all the staff was superb- as you expect at a Ritz.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear SWard10,

Thank you for your post on The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba. I am thrilled to read your post and see you were able to take full advantage of the resort and all amenities offered. I will certainly review your billing comment with our management team. I would agree with you that having your first night dinner reservation is always recommended.

I am thrilled you had the opportunity to meet our Executive Chef Stephen who I agree has a strong passion for food and creating guests for life. I will be sure to recognize him for creating such a memorable experience for you and your husband.

Thank you for your loyalty to The Ritz-Carlton, LLC. On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

It may not be up to the standards of the top Ritz Carlton hotels in the world but it is the best in Aruba.

The hotel is virtually new and commands a beautiful position at the end of Palm Beach with a glorious sandy beach and 2 nice pools (one adult only).

We had a club room which gave us access to the excellent club lounge where we eat breakfast and a light lunch. As a result we did not use the restaurants in the hotel which did look ordinary.

Great service throughout and a great gym and spa.

The drawbacks - it is right at the end of all of the hotels and you need to take taxis or have a car to get anywhere. Also, the beach beds on one side get full very early and the other beach is less well serviced. Finally, the beach restrooms need to be more regularly cleaned.

None of this should detract from an excellent hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mbgandco,

Thank you for your post on The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba. As a Top Contributor I know you have come to expect only the best. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us during your recent visit to Aruba. I would agree with you our club level experience is “excellent”. I certainly will share your comment regarding the service on the second beach with our management team.

The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba.

New Harbor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I was looking forward to staying at a brand new Ritz, but it has way too many kinks to work out. This hotel has potential, but the service is very bad. I made several requests which went ignored. Clean towels were never delivered, room service never arrived, it took an hour to get a drink once ordered, the rooms were dirty, and the list goes on. I kindly reported this to the management, but no attempts were made to accommodate. The hotel has a lot of potential, but it has a long way to go if you're expecting good service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Donna V,

Thank you for you post on The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba from your April stay. I always appreciate the feedback no matter positive or constructive. I am disappointed that your experience was not to your expectations.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen, we welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to Aruba.

Newton, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Our family loves Aruba and has stayed three previous trips at the Westin. However, the Westin closed earlier in 2014 and we needed to find new accommodations. We watched the Ritz being constructed during earlier trips and were excited to see the finished resort. In addition, we were intrigued with staying at the Ritz given the chain's high quality reputation and other Ritz stays we have enjoyed. However, initial reviews on Trip Advisor from others made us concerned. After several phone calls with reservations, concierge and the front desk combined with seeing improved ratings on Trip Advisor, we decided to book our vacation at the Ritz. Our experience was OUTSTANDING.

The trip was our 25th anniversary vacation for us and our two college age sons. The trip could not have been better. We were there for 10 days with the highlight being a "Vow Renewal" ceremony conducted on the beach at sunset. The hotel staff was very helpful arraigning all of the details and making the ceremony happen smoothly. The staff was beyond helpful and friendly including the front desk, beach area, and restaurants. We would particularly like to acknowledge Bas, Danny, Lorraine and Naima for their personal attention.

The beach and pool areas are the nicest of the Aruba beaches because they are far less crowded with plenty of complementary chairs and umbrellas. We did not get down to the beach until 9:30am most days and there were no problems getting beach chairs with umbrellas near the water even though the hotel was full. We spent a couple days at the pool and had no problems finding chairs or umbrellas. The hotel provides free paddle boards and sea kayaks. We paddle boarded 6 different days. There was never a problem finding a paddle board because there were so many. Given the calmness of the water, paddle boarding and kayaking were great fun.

The hotel has three restaurants and we ate dinner at each. Madero was the best (very good steaks) but all were overpriced. Les Crustaces was extremely overpriced and disappointing - the portions were small. Solanio had an excellent breakfast buffet and was an okay Italian restaurant for dinner. There are many Italian restaurants in Aruba (Light House, Gianni's) that are much better and less expensive.

The rooms are large and comfortable. All of the rooms face the beach/pool either directly or indirectly. None of the rooms are on the outside of the hotel. The rooms that have "Limited Ocean View" are able to see the ocean from the balcony. It may not be worth the extra money for an Ocean View. The bathrooms are large with two sinks, shower and tub.

All four of us went to the spa for massages and my wife had her hair/make-up done (by Lisa) before our Vow Renewal ceremony. The Spa is beautiful and quiet. The massages, while more expensive than stateside, were excellent.

The hotel is at the end of the strip of the high rise hotels. This is great because fewer people walk up the beach to the Ritz area. The only downside is that you cannot walk to the nearby restaurants or mall (not much to see) as easily. We took a cab to the nearby dinner locations ($6 - $12).

Overall, we had a great vacation and would definitely go back to The Ritz Carlton Aruba for another beach vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms face beach, not rooms face outside of hotel. Can save money and be plenty happy in either...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Michael M,

It is an honor that you chose our hotel to celebrate your 25th anniversary. I am very proud the ladies and gentlemen provided you and your family with a memorable experience.

Aruba is a wonderful backdrop for a destination wedding or a Vow Renewal. I am delighted you were able to take advantage of that for your renewal and allow us to celebrate with you and your wife.

As I see you are a repeat visitor to Aruba, I look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next vacation to The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The ritz was a great choice for out stay during our honeymoon visit to aruba. Staff were extremely helpful and courteous, the hotel is beautiful- brand new and well kept. The pool and beach are perfect for a couple's stay- not overly crowded. Most hotel residents are couples or families. We had a room with partial ocean view (6115 was our room number - it was perfect as we got a view of the ocean, pool and the skyline along eagle-palm beach). We stayed for 5nights (we redeemed our marriott points for the stay). Allison the bellman was awesome, he was very friendly, he gave us good info about the hotel and the island and once he knew we were on our honeymoon, he was kind enough to leave us a lovely souvenir (polo shirts, bottle of wine and some cute balloons)
from the hotel's gift shop in our room. Shaunette, our housekeeper kept our room in tip-top shape, she also did a fabulous job setting the room up for a surprise my husband had planned for me with hotel management (rose petals in shape of love hearts spread over the bed and swan shaped towels). Both Shaunette and Allison left us lovely congratulatory notes. They made my night :) The casino is small but sufficient, we played the roulette tables and poker slot machines mainly. We used the paddle boards the hotel provides (as complementary- from the sport kiosk at the beach) and rented snorkeling gear (we snorkeled at boca catalina- has to be one of the best snorkeling i have done) and we rented a wave runner (jet ski) for 30min (that service is provided by a different water sport company at RIU resort). All in all, great stay, couldn't have been better, i loved the hotel so much i would go back any day.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Susansal,

Congratulations! It appears from your post our ladies and gentlemen left you and your husband with a memorable experience. It always makes me proud to read the names of the ladies and gentlemen whom provide above and beyond service levels such as Shaunette and Allison. I will be sure to recognize them.

The pictures you added to your post are wonderful additions to the Tripadvisor photo album of our hotel. I especially like the rose petal turndown. I also read that you enjoyed the paddle boards that are available to our guests.

On behalf of all the ladies and gentlemen, we look forward to welcoming you back on your first year anniversary to The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba? Share your experiences!