“Great Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   L.G. Smith Boulavard 55 B, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Kernel34
“Great Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

My new wife and just returned from an amazing honeymoon at Bucuti. The place is fantastic. We stayed in the Tara Beach Suites and were not disappointed. The room is good size, well appointed and has a balcony with an amazing view of the beach.

The staff was friendly and very helpful in every respect. We did have one rude experience from someone at the front desk late one night, but every other interaction was pleasing.

The beach is the best I've experienced.

The only negative is the food/bar. While we didn't have a full meal at the Pirate's Nest, we did have a couple of appetizers at the bar and had the food thy bring out for happy hour. It was uniformly abysmal. And the service at the Sand Bar was friendly, but very, very slow. I just can't imagine how a hotel that is so great in all other respects allows that caliber of food to be served on its premises.

Overall, Bucuti was fantastic. We had a great honeymoon and will likely return to the Bucuti in years to come.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Hungarian first
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We had friends who stayed next door at the Manchebo a year ago, so we decided to take their advice and visit Aruba (specifically, the Bucuti) for our honeymoon back in June. I must say, I don't think I've ever had a vacation where everything was as flawless as our stay was. From the time our plane landed in Aruba until the time we departed a week later, we couldn't have asked for a better stay. We also love their attitude toward recycling!

After hopping in a cab, we got to the Bucuti in about 15 minutes. Check-in only took about 10-15 minutes, which was great. We chose to stay in the Tara Suites, and they were even better than advertised! We had a ground floor suite, so our porch was literally a few footsteps away from the sand. The room was very nice - pocket doors separate the bedroom from the living room, the bed was bigger than any king-size bed I've ever slept in (very comfortable too), and the dehumidifier really kept the room comfortable. The mini bar wasn't anything special, but we enjoyed having the mini fridge, so that we could get groceries (for some snack and lunch items) and also save any leftovers that we had throughout the week.

The beach was excellent! It was never crowded, which was really great. There were always palapas available, no matter what time we were on the beach. The sand was white and very fine, which was only a problem when the wind really kicked up. The beach bar was mediocre. I've had better frozen drinks, but the bartenders were all very cordial and friendly, so I won't complain too much. The pool was beautiful! I've heard that a lot of people have questioned the lack of shade at the pool, but I didn't really mind. Plus, they are in the process of adding on to the pool deck and planting some additional shade trees around the pool area, which will help. My wife and I spent more time at the pool because it was abnormally windy while we were there, so I enjoyed the pool a great deal.

The Pirates Nest Restaurant was decent - not great but not bad. The atmosphere is nice, with tables in the sand and on the deck. It made for a nice casual lunch one afternoon, and we also had one dinner there as well. I think we enjoyed our lunch experience more because our expectations weren't as high by then. Breakfast was served every morning in the Tara Wing Lobby. I've heard a few complaints about the breakfast, but we really enjoyed it. Plenty of fresh fruits, fruit salad, pastries, breads, bagels, muffins, donuts, jams/jellies, yogurt, cereals, various meats and cheeses, fruit juices, milk, and coffee. The breakfast staff were some of the nicest people there too. If you want something hot for breakfast, the Pirates Nest offers the same breakfast items, plus a few hot items as well.

I know my wife and I would love to return to the Bucuti for a week in the future! The staff was excellent and very friendly, and that really made our stay even better than it already was. We had no trouble getting around the island, and if we ever had any questions, the concierge desk always had the answers.

A few bonus tips! Our two favorite restaurants were the Screaming Eagle (dinner in bed!) and Chalet Suisse (both are a short walk from the Bucuti). There really wasn't a lot to enjoy at the high-rises, so we spent most of our time relaxing at the Bucuti, touring the island, and in downtown Oranjestad.

• Liked — Very quiet and relaxing! Only saw 2 children/teenagers at the Bucuti all week.
  • Disliked — Restaurant/beach bar were mediocre, but they weren't bad.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

When we arrived, we received a glass of champagne. We were able to check in to our hotel two weeks prior to arrival online. This hotel is perfect for a honeymooning couple or a couple on their anniversary, or adults looking for peaceful, unhurried, relaxation without feeling like you've got a lot of people around you. This is not for young adults looking for partying, loud music, lots of drinking and brawling. This is also not a place for small children. They don't have the facilities for children, such as kids' clubs, etc. But we loved it because we were celebrating our anniversary and we were looking for uncrowded, peaceful relaxation with class. The decor of the hotel is distinctly European. The complimentary breakfast plan is also distinctly European style, such as open-faced sandwiches with cheeses, meats, tomatoes cucumbers, peppers, coffees, pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc. -- but for an extra charge you can get the typical American breakfast at the Pirates' Nest, such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc.

The beach is pristine. They clean it everyday, so there is no trash on it. The palapas are spaced far apart so you don't feel like the people next to you are so close that they can hear what you are saying. The number of palapas are so plentiful that there was never a problem to find a free one. The water is very clean and turquoise. There is no trash in the water.

Security is very tight. There are security cameras everywhere to keep out people who are not staying at the hotel. We in fact witnessed some people who tried to use the facilities and immediately they were escorted away, very diplomatically. You need your room key to access any of the facilities, such as the rooms, the restaurants, etc.

The pool is small but there is seating all around it and we never felt like it was crowded and there was always somewhere for us to sit but we mostly sat under a palapa on the sand.

The rooms are VERY nice and clean with refrigerators, safes, microwaves, ironing boards, irons, hair dryers, makeup mirrors, etc. They also have privacy and make up room buttons to tell the service people that you don't want to be disturbed or if you want them to make up your room. It is great if you sleep late and don't want to be disturbed but want your room made up in the afternoon.

There is a video you should watch on the TV which tells all about the amenities of the resort.

Prince, Stephanie & Tone were very nice and helpful to us. They helped us make a sign to hold up on Friday, July 25th at 9:13 a.m. You can get your picture taken and e-mail it to all your friends and family. Internet usage is free and open 24 hours a day with your room key. They also have a small store with most everything you might need to purchase.

The minibar is not free; the coffee is. You can use the refrigerator for your own drinks, food, etc., but if you remove their "minibar" stuff, you have to pay $5. We just moved their stuff to one shelf and used the rest of the fridge for ourselves. We went to a grocery store and bought bread, cheese, fruit, juices and soda, and filled up an insulated bag with ice and took it to the beach with us every day.

They do have bar service on the beach. You put up a red flag and they will come to you and get you whatever you order.

Bus service to downtown Oranjestad is only $1.50. Taxi service to the airport is $20.

A visit to the Flying Fishbone and Madame Janette's restaurants are a MUST. You have to rent a car to go to both. We would recommend renting a car to go to each of these restaurants as well as making a trip to the grocery store and fitting in a snorkeling trip to Arashi Beach which has great snorkeling.

If you would like to ask us any questions, please e-mail us at Nickati@comcast.net.

We will definitely go back to this resort. We liked it much better than the high rise hotels.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, relaxing, the beach was beautiful and uncrowded; water was calm & clean
  • Disliked — It was difficult to get cool water in the shower
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

The Bacuti was amazing. We went the first week in July (2008) and had a fabulous time! It was our honeymoon and this place is the perfect spot for people who want a low-key resort where there are no children. We stayed in the Tara Beach Suites which is totally worth the extra money! We had an ocean view and the suites were large and very neat. The people are all very friendly and helpful. The beach was beautiful! We even got a chance to see baby sea turtles hatch! The sunsets are gorgeous. The hotel is located close to the Alahambra Casino if you feel like checking out the tables. Its within walking distance. Also we told them it was our honeymoon and they placed a gift bag in our suite that contained champagne & glasses, crackers, chocolate and other goodies. It was truely an amazing place to stay! I can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dunmore East, Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

What a step into heaven this place was! I am not going to write reams of senseless details but I will say if you are looking for a stunning, private romantic setting with amazing food, friendly staff and an angelic atmosphere then this is your place.

My husband and I travelled alone to Aruba to be married at the Bucuti beach resort on Eagle beach. It was the most amazing day of our lives. We were treated like royalty. No review in the world could express how wonderful this place is. White powdery sand, turquoise waters, fantastic weather and the nicest people you will ever meet in your life. The sunset is breathtaking!!!!

All though the The Pirates Nest restaurant on sight offers the best in fine dining, do your utmost to travel around the island. I would highly recommend The Flying Fishbone. If seafood is your thing you are going to the right place!!!WOW!!

The tara suites are beautiful......really loved the view onto the beach. Beach towel rental is available with a voucher will be provided at the beginning of your stay. There is never a rush for sunbeds, there are always free ones with a Cabana provided for when you wish to cool down.

With regards to activities, we did everything from a submarine trip to a helicopter ride around the island, highly recommendable! Plus dont miss out on a trip to Palm island. The snorkeling is amazing. They will provide everything. We kayaked over! I wouldnt recommend it unless you are fit and experienced. I wasnt and really wasnt comfortable with the waves. Plus its a 2 mile journey. We capsized and I nearly freaked out!

Bring money for taxis and your food as this costs the most. If you want to shop for labels downtown Oranjestad has it all in its amazing Mall. If you are into gambling they have brillient casinos everywhere.

My only complaint was the slow food service in many areas and the expected tips everywhere. Im Irish, we are used to prompt service and service charge inclusive everywhere!

We had a fantastic time, it was like something out of a dream!!

Stayed July 2008
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

We went to Aruba for 5 nights to relax on the beach and sleep. We thoroughly enjoyed staying at Bucuti! We stayed in the Tara Suites and felt very comfortable in the modern rooms. The concierge was very helpful in booking day trips and dinner reservations. The staff went above and beyond to assist us in having the most relaxing and enjoyable stay. When our AC broke, it was promptly fixed and management called to ensure it was working to our liking.

Security around Bucuti is incredible. I am always nervous in new places and I felt extremely safe and secure. By no means is Aruba a dangerous place to visit, but Bucuti went above and beyond to ensure our safety.

The beach at Bucuti is gorgeous and HUGE. Compared to the other beaches in Aruba, this one cannot be beat. We were always able to get chairs and an umbrella close to the shore and no where near other people. If we wanted drinks or food, we just stuck our red flag in the sand and a waiter came by.

The only improvement we would make to the resort is the food. Although the breakfast was acceptable, it wasn't particularly great -- the basics. The lunch menu could definitely use some improvements. The resort has a strong Dutch influence and thus several offerings are rather European. We ended up eating at the Machebo restaurant directly to the left of Bucuti several times. We never had dinner at Bucuti as we enjoyed dining out. The bar and happy hour are great -- we enjoyed the bartenders and felt very relaxed sitting there in our swim suits.

Overall, our experience at Bucuti was excellent. It is a small boutique hotel for those looking to escape. It is not a 5 star luxury resort, but it does have the benefits of being quiet, adult oriented, personable and lovely.

We would recommend Bucuti to any couple wanting to relax or honeymoon in Aruba -- it is definitely not for kids!

• Liked — Large Quiet Beach
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed at the Bucuti’s Tara Suites from 7/11-19 and we were more than happy with our choice. We absolutely loved the staff and they were more than accommodating and friendly, never have I met hotel or resort staff like this before. I even preordered a birthday cake for my BH two weeks prior to our arrival through the concierge and it was delivered to the room just the way I ordered it (peanut butter cheesecake with Happy Birthday and his name on it). I was told it was the first time this bakery had to make a peanut butter cheesecake and it was awesome (it was a nightmare to get it through customs though).

We got the Romance/Honeymoon Package and it was mediocre I’m still not sure if it was worth the extra money. The dinner that was included was horrible and the gift basket wasn’t that impressive. But, on the other hand… the snorkel trip that we selected (you can choose between that or a sunset sail) was great they had an open bar with snacks and we got to see some really cool fish along with the Antilla shipwreck.

Our room looked just like it did in the pictures so we were pleasantly surprised. We did have problems with our AC two separate times because our door sensor was broken. The sensors on the doors shut of the AC if the door is open for longer than 60 seconds. The problem was fixed immediately even during the occurrence that happened at 3 in the morning. Other than that issue we had the AC set to 68 the whole time. The maid service is wonderful; we made sure to tip them daily. One nice thing about it was that if we had our room set to privacy the whole day they would clean the room during turn-down service when we were out to dinner. Others have had problems with the dehumidifier, I didn’t really have a problem having to empty it myself when it got full. One problem I personally had with the room is that it isn’t well lit, I understand they want it to have a romantic ambiance but I could barely read in the bedroom.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous!! We never had a problem getting a palapa even if it was 2 in the afternoon and there were always plenty available. The water was crystal clear with the exception of some seaweed which I was not too pleased with but that isn’t really something you can blame on the resort.

I got the aloe wrap at the Intermezzo Spa in the Tara Suites and I was pretty disappointed. I could have easily lathered myself up with some aloe lotion and wrap myself into a sheet for 20 minutes. The only thing woman did was lather me up and wrap me into a human tortilla. The rest was all me.

Our dinner on the beach at The Pirate’s Nest was awful. All of our food was either under or overcooked. The beach bar was alright nothing special. The strength of your drinks depends on how well you know the bartender, as it is in almost every bar.

The Flying Fishbone
One thing we did notice is that everyone seems to eat so much later then we were used to so for the majority of the restaurants we ate at, there we not many people there. We sat at the corner table by the rocks and had the best view by far; everyone came over to our table to talk pictures of the sunset. I got the Shrimp Shitake Casserole, their most popular dish. I was incredible but very rich. My BH got the beef tips; we both agree that they could possibly be the worst thing on the menu. We defiantly didn’t try everything on the menu but it was not a good tasting item. The crème brulee was an awesome choice for dessert.

Madame Jeanette’s
I was slightly disappointed in MJ’s. I wasn’t disappointed by their food but by everything else such as their service, drink list and ambiance. We were being catered to until two large parties arrived and then we were abandoned. I also had to pull about 15 ants off of my BH’s shirt and my food was being attacked by so many bugs.

Screaming Eagle
We walked there and back from Bucuti, it was less than 10 minutes and I didn’t want to waste money on a taxi. This was my favorite restaurant by far. Yes, we were the only people there for the first hour but I think the service would have still been as excellent. Both of our dishes were incredible and our server made us the best mojitos we have ever had. My BH got the apple one and I got the melon. I highly recommend both of these drinks; even if you don’t go there for dinner, defiantly go there for drinks.

The Promenade
We went here with a couple we met after a raving review from one of our awesome taxi drivers. It was appetizer night, Thursday, when we went. That means for a set price you can get all the appetizers you want, two at a time. There was everything from filets to Aruban dishes to shrimp cocktail on the list, even salad and dessert is included (all you can eat as well). This was my BH’s favorite place.

Texas de Brazil
Although we decided ahead of time to only do seafood, after we heard how much everyone loved this place we couldn’t stop ourselves. It’s a Brazilian steakhouse where these guys walk around with huge slabs of meat and carve it off into your plate when your card is on the green side, when it is on the red side they leave you alone. The “salad bar” if you want to call it that was awesome. There was one item of lettuce and everything else was gourmet food. There were marinated Portobello mushrooms, soups, cheeses, olives, sliced meats and so many other items you would normally not see in a salad bar. If you don’t have a place like this at home try it here! I would recommend the indoor seating though so you don’t have to worry about bugs when you get up to get more food.

½ Day ABC Jeep Tour/ Crime
This is a must if you have never been to the island before. We saw the broken natural bridge, we went to the highest point in Aruba and we got to swim and snorkel in the natural pool.
Our tour guide Rocky was great and even talked about the Natalie Hollaway (sp?) issue as well making sure to point out how low Aruba’s crime rate is and how that happens in other countries multiple times a day. I really would get so irritated when everyone said, “Oh, you’re going to Aruba… make sure you don’t go around the natives or go to that bar.” I hated it when they said it before I left and now that I have come back and seen how incredible and friendly everyone was there, I hate it even more.
My advice to you on this one is take some Advil before you go, there is so much bumping around and I got a headache one hour in.

Kukoo Kunuku
We did this on the night of my BH’s birthday. Our host of the night was the infamous Mama. I can’t even begin to explain her but imagine someone who started to pregame before the pregame and then finally got to the party but to be honest I don’t think she was drinking at all, so… yeah she was an interesting character. The toast at the lighthouse was a great start to the night. Once we moved on to the dinner we were really disappointed. The food was horrible!! We bought the water bottles they sell and I personally think it was a waste of money. All the bars were fun but by the last one I was ready to leave. After a few drinks without a buzz at all I was starting to get a little bored, and this is coming from a lightweight. I blame it on the “Sex on the Bus” drinks, which were good but didn’t have much alcohol.

Flight down and back
We flew from BWI to Charlotte then onto Aruba, it wasn’t as long as I was expecting. When you watch the in-flight movie it really helps the time fly by. We flew U.S. Air for all four flights and yes they did try to push the credit card with the “free round trip” but it isn’t like they shove the application in your face. Same deal with the duty free items they tried to sell.
On the way back, if you don’t know this already, you have to go through both Aruban and US Customs before you get to your gate. You go through 2 security stops and 2 custom stops, so you can only imagine how long it takes (it took us 1 hour and 20 minutes to get though it all, but we left on a Saturday). Be prepared and get to the airport at least 3 hours before your flight takes off especially if you want to do some duty free shopping before you leave.

Overall, we loved Bucuti and the Tara Suites. We would recommend it to any couple struggling to make a decision on where to stay. It was a great vacation and we wouldn’t trade it for anything else.

• Liked — The hotel staff, rooms and beach
  • Disliked — Pirate's Nest
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba? Share your experiences!