“Best spot on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba to your Saves list
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   L.G. Smith Boulavard 55 B, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
New York City, New York
“Best spot on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Bucuti the last week in March for our honeymoon. Friends of friends told us it was the best place to stay on the island, and we had heard such great things about the island from people who return to Aruba year after year so we went for it.

As most reviews noted, the beach is the best because it is not crowded. All the other hotels, both on Eagle Beach and the high-rise section (Palm Beach) had these blue plastic lounge chairs lined up inches apart. At Bucuti, every couple had their own little spot (umbrella, two chairs, table) and were at least 10 feet from the next loungers. To me, that is a big deal and worth a lot. The beach is beautiful, the water is gorgeous - I've read reviews where people said it was a little rough, but I know what rough ocean is and the waves were a piece of cake. The pool was small, but I thought it was super tranquil. I do think it would be nice if the hot tub was actually hot!

I read many complaints about people reserving oceanfront loungers. I noticed this as well and it pissed me off. I had my husband get up at 7 am to reserve the oceanfront loungers one morning and they were already ALL taken. The next morning I got up at 5 am and periodically checked to see when people were reserving chairs. At around 6:30 am, you see GROWN MEN scurrying onto the beach with towels and tying them around the loungers closest to the ocean. It was kind of ridiculous. Regardless, I decided to reserve a spot because I felt like I was being taken advantage of for only wanting to get out of bed at 9 am. So I got a spot on the ocean, went back to bed, and, when I finally went out to claim my spot later in the day, I felt horrible about it. After a few hours on the ocean I realized that I actually liked it better farther back on the beach - the lounge chairs are farther apart and there are more palm trees. Anyway, it's like some big weird game that goes on, meanwhile there are plenty of lovely spots elsewhere.

There have been a lot of complaints about the restaurant. Sure, the breakfast buffet is a little sickly (they need to get rid of those greasy plastic containers covering the fruits, meats, and cheeses), but if you get a fresh omelette or eat the french toast, you're fine. My husband and I skipped breakfast most days. As for lunch, I do think the food could be better. The Ranchero wrap was very bland and the Cuban sandwich was more like a bacon sandwich. My husband did not love the burger. Onion rings, fries, and quesadillas were all good. Hopefully when they redo the restaurant they also give the lunch menu a refresh. Frozen drinks were super yummy but no alcohol. My husband and I ended up buying wine and beer from the gift shop or the convenience store by the Alhambra casino. We would drink at our beach loungers and then "pre-game" on our balcony before dinner.

I thought the room was really nice! I was a little annoyed that we were given probably the crappiest room in the whole place (it was closest to the front of the hotel and faced other hotels, not really a "garden" view) - I mean, we were on our honeymoon! Also, at the same time we checked in, another couple with their (grown) daughter were checking in and I overheard the concierge upgrade them to a higher room category. At first I thought that they were returning guests, but then I heard them say something like "on our first stay here!". It's just kind of stinks to be on your honeymoon and paying a lot of $$ and hear other people getting upgraded for no reason. Probably makes me a little bit of a brat, but whatever! Getting back to the interior of our Superior room, I thought it was spacious, towels were nice, bed was okay. The TVs could use an upgrade - no HD for over $400/night?

As for the staff, the concierges were all great. Super helpful. There was one sever on the beach who was AWESOME - he came running every time you stuck that red flag in the sand! The other restaurant and bar staff were fine. I like that they had a little snack during "happy hour," but I didn't really notice any drink specials - that might be my fault though, my husband and I had our own drink system going on! We ate dinner at the restaurant one night - we did one of the "romantic dinners" in the little pavilions and I thought it was yummy.

A few other comments: my husband used the gym and loved it. I liked the free wifi everywhere, although it kicks you off fairly frequently. Easy to get a cab to go anywhere; we went to Palm Beach a couple times. We ate at Pizza Bobs like five times - I thought it was super delicious and just too easy to pass up.

Overall, I had a great time. The reason you stay at Bucuti is for the uncrowded beach and the no-kids policy - while wading in the water outside a different hotel during a walk, a kid threw a shovel at my foot and I remembered why I chose Bucuti. Would I return? I want to explore other Caribbean islands before I return to Aruba, but I can't imagine dealing with the crowds at the high rises unless I had kids...we'll see!

Room Tip: I requested a ground floor room and got a second floor room...so not sure how seriously they take re...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hungarian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here in August of 2012 for my fiancee's birthday. Wonderful resort! It had the right combination of being close enough to local attractions, yet removed for privacy. The Tara Penthouse was above and beyond what I expected! The photos of the rooms and the property do not do it justice. The private hut that accompanies the penthouse suite was an excellent touch. We had the private beach dinner to celebrate her birthday and the resort did everything possible to make it special and it was!! The beach was beautiful and the service by the staff was well above par. We felt so comfortable and secure, we fell asleep on the beach! The only downside was the fact that our flight was unavoidably delayed and we had to pay for a day that we did not get to enjoy. Nonetheless, we will definitely return there for another visit. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our second trip to Aruba, and our second time staying at Bucuti. My wife and I are expecting our first child and wanted one last trip of relaxation before the little guy arrives. We decided to return back to Aruba because of the beautiful beaches, the pleasant experience we had at Bucuti the first time around, a mandatory adult only hotel during spring break, and a wonderfully spread out beach setup.

On our first trip we stayed on the Bucuti side, this trip we had decided to spend the extra $$ and stay in the Tara suites. Bucuti, just like every other Caribbean resort charges a premium during winter months, so keep in mind this review is from the perspective of paying $600+ per night for a room.

Traveling personally and for business has allowed me and my wife to experience many hotels throughout the US, Europe, Canada, and the Carribean. Having never stayed in the Tara suites prior to this and at a nightly rate of $600+, our expectations were quite high. After all, at this rate there are a lot of hotel options throughout the Caribbean.

Upon check in we were pleasantly met by Jason. Jason was a very personable and pleasant young man to deal with. He checked us in a timely manner, offered us a glass of champagne, and saw to it that we were escorted to our room by security. (This is standard practice. I was, and still am quite confused as to why security brings you to your room rather than another hotel employee. Seems as if it sends the wrong message to me.)

I was however a little disappointed to find out we had been given a room on the ground floor after I had requested a higher floor at the time of booking six months prior. Ground floor rooms walk right out onto the beach (a plus) but offer little privacy and take away from the view of what you would get from an upper floor. Prince was able to move us into room on the 3rd floor on the second day for the remainder of our stay – much better.

The room was very nice; I wasn’t blown away with the size or decor having stayed in nicer rooms for much less money but there was nothing really to complain about other than mediocre mattress and a horrible lighting control system. Instead of regular light switches they have wall stations with buttons which are labeled for each room and area. None work as one would expect. In commercial construction it usually works out that low bidder wins the contract…seems like low bid won that portion of electrical.

Now, in a resort like Bucuti and in a place such as Aruba, you don’t expect to spend a tremendous amount of time in the room. However, when the time comes when you want to turn on the TV it would be nice if all the channels weren’t casted in a snowy analog signal. For $600 a night I would expect high definition.

Once you step foot outside of any building these minor annoyances melt away, literally…bring your sunblock because the sun is strong! The beach and the ocean are amazing and is why you choose Bucuti.

As you once again begin to ride the roller coaster to back up to the top and decide it’s time for a drink at the beach bar you quickly begin to start descending. The bar staff, neither unfriendly nor friendly acted as if they loathed those sitting on the other side of the bar. I understand people have off days, but on two occasions I witnessed them talking about a hotel guest because of a “European styled” bathing suit. Completely inappropriate to do this in front of other hotel guests.

Frozen drinks, while tasty and refreshing have very little alcohol. I watched the bar staff make over two dozen drinks with about a half of shot of alcohol per drink, so don’t forget to stop at the duty free store while in route to the hotel and pick up a bottle of your favorite rum to supplement your drinks with. At happy hour drinks are half price…but non alcoholic drinks are not. I ordered two pina coladas, one virgin and one with rum and the virgin drink costs more. Common sense here Bucuti, my wife is pregnant for petes sake.

And Bucuti, no fish tacos? Fish tacos with mango salsa should be a staple lunch item in the Caribbean.

It is unfortunate that so many employees seemed unpleasant, but there were several who were and we didn’t let this deter us from having a great time on our baby-moon. Would I go back here during peak season and pay what we had? Probably not, but I probably would return at a less expensive rate only to enjoy the peacefulness and the beauty of the beach and ocean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ewaldbiemans, Owner at Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
In reply to review "Pure Serenity....but with minor"

We are despondent over not meeting and exceeding all of your expectations but also very grateful for the positive comments you shared regarding our resort and your return visit.

I appreciate the opportunity to offer answers to issues mentioned in your review:

Many of our guests live in areas were security guards are "de rigueur" and we employ one as well and make use of her/his services to assist guests when checking in. In fact they function more like bell persons rather then security guards as there is very little security needed.

We sincerely apologize for not having assigned the ground floor room and we are investigating the cause of this mistake.

The lighting in our Tara Suites is indeed a bit complicated. It is part of an energy conservation system that was installed to conform with the newest environmental certification standards to regulate lights and temperatures. We are sorry the system interfered with your comfort and relaxation.

It would be great if HD television signals were available on Aruba, but it is not the case. To offer a large variety of channels, satellite dishes are used, and our signals or cables can be inconsistent in quality.

I would like to clarify that our alcoholic drinks contain a minimum of 1-¼ ounce of liquor unless the recipe requires more. Drinks that require more than one liquor are mixed with graduated pourers; drinks that require ½ oz. of one liquor and and a ¼ oz of the other, for example, is where you may see some short pours for each ingredient. We use premium brand liquors exclusively at our bars.

As of today all virgin drinks like virgin coladas, are also priced at half price during happy hour, as a result of your highlighting this issue to us. We thank you for pointing this out so we can correct it.

Our lunch menu is extensive and includes a variety of fish. We will certainly be happy to prepare a fish taco on request for you if you honor us with a repeat visit. You may prefer visiting during our " nine month - low season" when are rates are 30-40 % lower than during our high season (December 23 to Easter Monday). Even in low season our rates still include full daily American Breakfast Buffet, all taxes and fees, and WIFI for multiple devices, just like in high season.

We really hope to welcome you again to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves to you and to offer you another wonderfully carefree vacation.

With sunny greetings

Ewald Biemans
Owner
Biemans@bucuti.com
Vaasa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

There already exist so many reviews about Bucuti, so not sure whether this will add any value, but will mention a few things, which might be worth knowing if staying at Bucuti.

The hotel and beach is very clean, they provide very good service, and repeatedly ask how you are enjoying your stay. The resort manager greets the guests both upon arrival as well as on departure, which is rather rare in larger hotels.

The gym comes in handy, if you want to exercise inside in a cooled environment, rather than running on the beach in the warmth.

When waking up early, you could see (as many reviewers have written) people going to reserve sun loungers seven o’clock in the morning, although not using them until much later. However, during our stay in late March there did seem at all times to be sun loungers available throughout the day. A solution during more busy periods might be to stay in the penthouse, as you have your own palapa reserved for you the whole day – no matter at what time you decide to hit the beach. However, the penthouse can be strongly recommended at all times :)

The beach is stunning, and well kept. When we were there, it was quite windy, so if you are not too comfortable with the waves, you can walk down Eagle Beach towards Palm Beach, and you will most likely find more calm waters to enjoy a dip in. I was happy we stayed in Bucuti rather than in one of the high-rise area hotels, as those beaches were much more crowded, and also less well maintained. Eagle Beach was simply more beautiful!

We took the Romantic Dinner package one of the evenings, and the food was excellent. To improve the package further, they could offer a wine package, where the kitchen would have wine recommendations with the various dishes, where you would not have to choose one bottle to fit all the different courses (we did not go for the one-bottle option, but ordered separate wines for separate dishes). Moreover, the personnel were not too knowledgeable about wine recommendations, and e.g. the red wine was served after we had received the steak – and it was served very cold. Well, these are just small things, as there is not much that I come to think of that would need improving :)

Except for one thing actually. The air-conditioning and humidifier equipment in the rooms were very loud (there were six of them in total in room #343)! If you are a light sleeper you will need to shut them down for the night, and even then, you could hear noises from possibly a technical room next door or the corridor machines (?), although sleeping with ear plugs. These seemed rather old, as newer equipment is not that loud nowadays.

Other than the noise from the air-con, we loved our stay. If staying in the Tara wing, you have a separate breakfast area inside, which is cool and has a much fresher “feel” than eating outside in the warmth accompanied by birds. The views from the balcony were amazing, and the beach was very beautiful, with a lot of privacy, being very quiet.

If you are travelling from Europe, I would recommend you exchange your Euros to Dollars, rather than to Florin, as we noticed already during our taxi trip to Bucuti that the prices were in Dollars, and the driver did not even have Florins to give back, when paying in their local currency! Taxi fares are flat, which is good. E.g. to/from the airport is 25$, and to /from Oranjestad or the high-rise area is 9$.

In addition to eating at Bucuti, we ate downtown; opposite to Bucuti at Bob’s pizza (quite an experience); and very good, but over-priced sushi at Blossoms (high-rise area). We also took the Oyster Dinner Sail with Morning Star, which was ok. I would not rate it excellent though, as the actual sailing lasted only for an hour of the total four hours, and the remaining time it was at anchor, so is it worth 600$...? The drinks they kept on bringing though, and food was also ok, so that they had covered.

We were told that of the customers coming to Bucuti, majority are Americans, about 30% Europeans, and 5% from other parts of the world. In general, Aruba seems very touristic. We combined our trip with Curacao though, which was interesting, as the two islands are very different in culture – both its own experience!

We got a very good feeling about the islands, and have already planned our next trip to visit more of the Caribbean islands. If the hotel keeps up as-is, we will definitely also return to Bucuti.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms are spacious, have stunning views, and have an own palapa reserved for you on the be...
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a 2 week in December. It was our first time In Aruba which had been sold to us as the best hotel to stay in the Aruba. All of this not truth. Too small hotel. Restorant like fast food, if we want eat we pay 10 $ for taxi (its one way) and visit . Every where video cams. Rooms too small. But Concierge very helpful and Beautiful beach.
Bucuti its place like hostels.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ewaldbiemans, Owner at Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
in reply to "Its not #1" by AlexB

I honestly think this is a "mistaken identity " comment - if it is not then we do apologize for any inconveniences we may have caused you during the stay.

Respectfully yours,

Ewald Biemans
Owner
Biemans@bucuti.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I had such a wonderful time at Bucuti this past July 2012 that we are returning next week and staying a bit longer! There are many reasons that come to mind on why we decided to return to Bucuti. We found the grounds of the resort to be immaculate as well as the accommodations! The employees went above and beyond and our interactions were always friendly and felt genuine. The employees, management, and owner were visible throughout our stay and were observed tending to all aspects of the resort daily. I admire that Bucuti is conscientious of the environment. It was lovely to see iguanas in their natural environment and the most beautiful (seemed like miniature) owl a few times. My husband can't wait to use the new workout facility and we are both looking forward to the new Carte Blanche (both new since our stay 9 months ago). I honestly can't wait until we are dropped off at the door and escorted in and each given a cool lavender wash cloth and glass of champagne...we couldn't think of a better way to spend our birthdays!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a week in February. It was our first time In Aruba which had been sold to us as the best island to stay in the Carribean. Pros: Bucuti is a small (compared to the big resorts with thousands of room) adult-only resort. You are close to everything, restaurants, gym, concierge desk, etc.) and you can even meet the owner on-site. Staff is very friendly and attentive to small details. The manager asked us at least twice a day if everything was OK. Concierges staff are really patient and helpful when it is time to book an excursion or with tips on how to get to town, things to see, etc. The restaurant on the beach is a great place to have breakfast (lots of choice), lunch or dinner. You are only a few meters from the sea, food is good although a bit expensive, but everything is in Aruba. Lots of chairs on the beach and you don't have to get up early to get one. Small pool but not very busy anyway. Beach is very clean. A short walk to a casino if you are into that type of entertainment.
Cons: Very windy and you have to be careful with the waves. I saw a few people being tipped over as they were getting out of the water. Entertainment is quite limited on site and you have to go to other resorts on Eagle Beach if you want to rent a seadoo or use any other typical water activities that you normally see in Carribean resorts. That could be a plus for some, I guess it all depends what you like to do in your vacation.
Will we go back? We are not planning to. Aruba is quite expensive and you can get better value for money, and similar or better beaches, in other islands in the south. The advantage of Aruba is that there are more things to see and do, shopping being one, outside the resort compared to some others such as DR or Cuba.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba? Share your experiences!