“EXPENSIVE but great location and wonderful beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hamilton, Canada
“EXPENSIVE but great location and wonderful beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

If you are going to Aruba you should be prepared for the price of it before heading out. Everythng is expensive in terms of accommodation, food and drink. Our room at the Aruba Surf Club had a fully functional kitchen open to a lovely seating area that was large enough to hold a number of people seated comfortably if you used a couple of the dining table chairs. You could save money by going to the grocery store and cooking in your suite. The few complaints that I had was that in the bedroom you could hear very clearly voices from a room either beside or above you ... we couldn't quite figure out which one but it was annoying when trying to sleep. We were in the new tower of the resort, the older part of the building farther from the water may have been built differently and not have that problem. We had a lovely king bed with a tub and small vanity and then it opened into a bathroom that had a shower, toilet and larger vanity. They really dropped the ball on not making that large tub a jacuzzi though!! The grocery store we went to was new and it was just a short cab ride away (although we had rented a car), it was called Super Food. It had a wide variety of items. I tell you, stock up on your beer and wine here!! It is sooooo much cheaper than buying your drinks at the resort or restaurant. The funny thing about the beer in Aruba is that it comes in very tiny bottles ... make sure when you're in the grocery store and you buy a beer that you are used to, the size of the bottle isn't tinier than the usual... I made that mistake, bought a case of Budwieser in the bottle, got it home and they were 7oz. bottles! I should have realized that the case was slightly smaller but a whole lot lighter ... dah ... never again - who knew? Anyway, once you realize you will be spending money the food is lovely and the rooms, beach and pools and very nice. There is a lazy river at this resort and it seemed to have a number of smaller children so if you have a family this seemed like a good resort for you. There is also the "Serenity Pool" which was for adults only, this was usually full early. There was a hot tub here that at night changed colours so fast you could have a seizure :) it was beautiful though.From this resort you can walk to a shopping centre and many restaurants (either by road or via the beach ... there is a wood boardwalk that goes quite a ways down the beach). There are venders that have little wagon type things that open up in the evening until about 10 or 10:30 pm. or so, it is kind of fun to walk around there. I certainly felt safe the whole time I was in Aruba. We went with our family but older siblings with spouses and Mom and Dad ... no little ones. Beware of the wind though, I'm not talking a breeze, it is WIND! Don't get your hair especially coiffed for Aruba as it just blows all over the place. The good thing is the wind comes from the east so if you are sitting on the beach facing the water the wind comes from behind you. We had part of our family staying at the Marriott Ocean Club immediately next door and we used their palapas on the beach as they had booked ahead. The water is lovely and such a great aquamarine blue. We went into town (Oranjestad) for a day and that was great, the girls bought some jewellery ... including me. Don't pay the first price they say, they expect some bargaining! Prices seemed reasonable for the quality of jewellery. BTW we rented cars from Wheels2Go and they met us right at the airport in the parking lot with the cars and were there to pick them up when we left. I would recommend them, Ricky is the name of the man we dealt with. One car had a problem and Ricky was there in under 15 minutes to deal with it! OK, I'm rambling now, I'd say if you have been to many other places and have quite a bit of money to spend and want to see a different island, go to Aruba you will really like it. However, for me on my budget, I think I will look for a great 5* all inclusive somewhere and have a little more control of the money I am spending. One other piece of info before I close, supposedly the locals have vacation near Easter time so double check as the beaches are all public and I hear they set up tents all along the beach. I don't think there are any problems, it's just that you might not like to go at that time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your review of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! We appreciate your tips for fellow travelers and ideas on how to save money. With full kitchens in the villas, it's a great idea to stock up on drinks and snacks for your time with us. Please visit us again soon on your next trip to Aruba!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Old Bethpage, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was our first time in Aruba. We own a time share in Puerto Vallarta. The weather was superb (82-87) and sunny. The wind does pick up later in the afternoon (3pm) but it is a arm wind. Floating down the lazy river in a tube was magical. While our travel mates preferred the beach I preferred the serenity pool (over 21 only). It was quiet and the water was a shade warmer than the other pools. One of our group was an early riser and reserved the chairs by the beach. If you want a palapa you either have to get up very early or pay for the privilege. You don't need a palapa since the chairs have a cover on them to shade the sun. I was always able to get a lounge at the serenity pool after 12pm; the other pools are crowded. Breakfast buffet was overpriced and only fair. Breakfast without the buffet was cold. Better to go to Linda's Pancake House a short cab ride away. Restaurants in Aruba are fabulous (Papamiento, Passion on the Beach, Pincho's Grill, Barefoot, Madam Jeanette - see my reviews under the restaurant). They are somewhat expensive but the food was special and the sunsets...!. Suggestion: make reservations over the internet before you go to Aruba to assure that you will be able to eat at the time you want at the restaurant you want. The staff at the Marriott was friendly (as were all we met on the Island - a happy place). We were so happy at the resort we never even went into town to sightsee or shop (a sacrifice for the women). All in all we had a very relaxing vacation. And it is only a 4-5 hour flight from New York and the price was inexpensive ($362 round trip). The concierge service was very helpful.

Room Tip: We prefer upper floor rooms for the view but since we were never in the room except to sleep the fac...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! We are happy to hear your family had a relaxing week taking in the beauty of the island. Our team looks forward to your next visit with us!
merrick, long island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been coming to the Marriott Aruba Sirf Club for over 10 years. It is clean beautiful, updated with ultimate hospitality from ALL employees. The lazy river, drink in hand, floating around an oasis of rock formations is beyond description. I am bringing all of my children and grandchildren here to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in June. It is the ideal place for my 5 grand kids to have memories/pictures of my wife and me 50 years from now.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for the five-star Tripadvisor review! As an owner, we truly appreciate your feedback and kind words for associates. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary and we look forward to helping you celebrate on your upcoming trip!
Pittston, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

4th trip back to the Surf Club. Had an excellent time.

Visited for the first week of March and have to say the mayhem and craziness that the hotel has during Jan and Feb is completely absent.

We had no issues whatsoever and were quite impressed with the changes, new waterpark being added and new appliances in the Lighthouse Tower.

Really a great place for a family vacation.

Room Tip: Try to do Ocean Front, not Ocean side. Lighthouse Tower is the best
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire team, we thank you for your five-star review of Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! We are happy to hear your family enjoyed the new additions around the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from Aruba Surf Club where our family spent spring break. We had a great time. We had a two bedroom garden view room. We booked rather late so we were quite happy with that. Our room actually had a bit of an ocean view when you were out on the balcony so that was a pleasant surprise.
The pool was beautiful and we enjoyed the lazy river. My only issue with the place was the beach chair tagging. I have no issue with reserving your chairs but I did have an issue with reserved chairs never being used! I would go down and tag my chairs at 7 am (having to struggle to find 2 chairs together) and return by 8:30 or 9 with my family. (I didn't reserve a chair for my son since I knew he'd never sit on it since he'd always be in the pool.). Then we would stay there for half the day. Chairs all around us would be tagged and empty. The hours we'd be at the pool many of those chairs would remain tagged yet empty. This tagging in my opinion is not necessary and makes it difficult for people to rest, relax, and sleep in on their vacations.
I had to explain to a couple pushing a stroller with twins that yes, all those empty tagged chairs were taken and that the too would have to get downstairs at 7 am if they wanted one too.

Again, the resort and it's staff were great. I just don't like this chair tagging policy.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate your positive review of Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! We are happy to hear your family had a great vacation while visiting Aruba. Our team also appreciates your feedback about the pool chairs as we continue to enhance our guest experience. Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate leaders. Thank you again for your review and we hope you visit us again soon!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just returned from one week at the Marriott surf club in Aruba. We are Marriott owners in Hilton Head but often exchange through interval international. Before we departed for Aruba, I scoured the Internet for reviews of the Surf Club. What I can offer now is simply an honest review of our experience in Aruba.
The resort was very typical of the Marriots we have visited: Very clean, beautifully landscaped, friendly staff. We were on the 12th floor of the Skyglass building. We had a lovely view of the pool/water slide, the ocean in the distance and the town. Our balcony was small but fine for 4 people to use. We had a studio room. It was perfectly fine for our family (with 2 teenagers who go to bed later than we do). For a family with young children you would feel cramped I believe. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room each day and the small fridge and microwave allowed us to do this very successfully.
We spent most of our time in the pool by the water slide. I never reserved chairs before 8:30 in the morning and we never had any trouble getting 4 chairs together. I actually really appreciated the chair tag system. It worked quite well. The only issue I had was one morning when I was tagging a chair and a women dashed over and said " I was going to take those chairs". My response was "ok. Have a nice day". Why fight with people who lack manners. It is not worth it. I tagged the chairs right beside the ones which obviously meant more to her than me. The pool was refreshing and fun. The water slide was very popular.
We rented a palapa for one day. It is very necessary to have shade on the beach. It is hotter there than at the pool. The ocean was clear and the beach was nice. Not the nicest beach we've been to but nice. We especially enjoyed walking the beach in the evenings. Aruba is very safe.
Ther is a movie theater close to the resort and we went twice. On mon-wed the movies are 2 for 10 dollars.
We went to get groceries at Ling and Sons. Groceries are expensive. But that's life. We only bought what we needed. We ate dinner out each night. Our favourites were La Vista and A Taste of Belgium. Both had excellent food. Our least favourite was Champions. It was just okay.
The resort was fairly full. Lots of little children but everyone was mostly polite and respectful of other people.
The resort appeared very well run. Cabs were always available. Lots of staff around to answer questions. The basketball and shuffleboard was fun for our son. We didn't partake in any of the organized activities but there were plenty to choose from. We don't drink, so the price of drinks didn't affect us.
My final word of advice is about the airport. Plan to be there more than 3.5 hours before your flight. It is very handy to do both immigration security lines (Aruba and USA) before you leave but it is a lengthy process. I don't like the stress of potentially missing a flight so I would rather simply allow for extra time. We saw many frantic families running to catch flight and saw people distressed when flights were missed.
Overall, we had a wonderful family vacation. The weather in Aruba is perfection. The resort is lovely. The people are warm and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! We truly appreciate your detailed review and thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We hope you return to visit us soon in beautiful Aruba!
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband & I visited the Surf club from 2/27-3/5/14 for much need R & R. I always choose Marriott hotels because I know the value I am getting. I do agree with some of the prior reviews about the chairs and papulas especially if you are not an early riser. I really enjoyed the over 21 pool and fitness area. Security is excellent and they enforce the rules. Food from the Captain's Galley during Happy Hour was appetizing and there are servers who take orders from patrons on the beach. The weather was EXCELLENT especially with the crappy weather we experienced this winter. I paid for an ocean view and had a decent view of the water everyday. From what I could ascertain, it looked like every room in the resort has some view of the ocean. There were families there but the kids appeared to be orderly & well behaved. I think we went at the perfect time before spring and Easter breaks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your five-star review and the beautiful pictures you provided of Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! Our team is happy to have exceeded your expectations when it comes to service and luxury accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Aruba!

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!