“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The staff at the hotel was wonderful, the beach was fantastic. However, be prepared, it was a huge hotel with lots of families. The pool attracted more of the families than the beach, so it wasn't an issue for us. The issue I had was that they didn't come to clean the rooms until around 4:00PM! At that time, I had had enough of the beach and wanted to go back to the room to shower and relax (an have a cocktail or two) before dinner. Everyplace I've ever been, the rooms were cleaned before noon/1:00.This was a bit inconvenient, but not enough to stop us from going back. Next time, I will request a cleaning the night before! Too bad I didn't think of that while on vacation.

Everyone was nice and there was always a smile. It's true what they say....Aruba is a Happy Island! I also went to the fitness center twice, which was clean and the staff very helpful! The folks at the front desk went out of their way to help with anything...from cashing traveler's checkques to giving you tips about the property or the island.

The room was very large, with a full kitchen (including a full-size refrigerator, granite coutertops, etc.), a washer and dryer and a balcony. We stayed in a one-bedroom villa, which had a bathroom with vanity and just outside of the bathroom, there was a soaking tub and another vanity, so my husband and I were never in each other's way. I would go back again.

Room Tip: Next time I would book "ocean side" not "ocean view" for a beautiful view of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Arroyo Grande, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We traded our Marriott time share for an Aruba visit. The resort was great for families. I must say 14 days was too long for me. It was extremely windy. Gail Winds! There really wasn't a lot to do except relax and enjoy the ocean or the pool. I read 5 books. We did some shopping. Aruba is very expensive and they do not want take their own currency! The Marriott was just like our own resort. Same lay out. Two bedrooms and plenty of room for the 7 of us. The air condition didn't seem to work well but we got by. We were lucky and had wifi in the room. The SPA over charged us for their "special". Make sure you review your charges before you sign the credit card receipt! We are from California so I must say, I love Hawaii more. Easier to get to and far more to do and not any more expensive than being at home!

New Hampton, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice resort, particularly if you have children. We went as a couple. The resort has about 900 units. In our opinion, too many rooms for the resort. Each unit is quite comfortable and nice. Our one bedroom unit had a lovely view looking north in the Lighthouse building on 5th Floor. Although it was school vacation for NE it was not noisy in the room. Having said that, you can hear everything in the LOCKOFF 2nd bedroom. (This only comes into play if you only rent the one bedroom, which allows them to rent out the 2nd bedroom connecting to the one bedroom) The soaking tub was huge yet not jetted???? Shower was lovely although the exhaust fan was extremely loud. The kitchen had everything one would need. Washer and Dryer in room was nice, allowing us to keep up with all laundry.....The iron and ironing board was horrid. Yes folks, I iron my clothes. The beach is a long way from the room. We did not sit by the pool, They have a lovely lazy river which I visited a few times but choose to spend our week at the beach. My husband got up every morning at 5:30am to wait in line to get a palapa for us each day...He was generally 1-3 in line (I personally would not want to do that but he is an early bird and did so without a complaint) and we had the same hut each day right on the beach at no charge. You can pay for a hut two days as a time in advance for about $15 daily. In addition to the lazy river there are two other pool areas and an adult pool. Two Hot Tubs! It was difficult to get a person in the beach area to take drink orders and the cost was very high. Two drinks for $15 (even no alcoholic); so 1/2 the time I walked into the marketplace lower level of the Compass bldg. to buy ice coffee or ice coffee frappes.....We brought breakfast; oatmeal, English muffins,etc. Also brought tuna and made sandwiches for lunch or we had protein bars. We had our big meal each day at dinner time, about 7:30-8PM. We enjoyed our vacation at the Surf Club but it would not be our Number One choice in Aruba. It as our 7th trip to Aruba and we went from the Surf Club to Westin and much preferred Westin just down the beach. Consider taking an instruction course with DENNIS at Jolly Pirates to learn to Paddle Board (one hr $55). The other thing to consider is that this is at the North end of the Palm Beach, so it is a long walk each night to many restaurants on the main street. The customer service was very good. Each time we called they responded quickly and we called several times. Upon arrival 3 lights were out; the emergency light was out; the door to the balcony would not open, the lroning board would not work, nor would the iron. Our washer fell apart and the water line into the washer would only run HOT water and the dishwasher was not installed properly causing the possibility of water coming out.....

massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our friends own a timeshare with Marriott and invited us to come along as their guests. They had a 2 bedroom apartment that was very roomy and comfortable. We stayed in a lock-out guest room that enabled us to go into our room without entering our friends apartment. We loved the balcony overlooking the lazy river, with a small view of the ocean. It was nice to have a fridge, microwave plus dishes and glasses for 4 people with cabinets to keep food in.

We stayed in Aruba in the beginning of April, and saw lots of families with kids. But there's enough room in the resort to move around. There's at least 3 Marriott properties in a row on the beach, so it's nice to be able to wander to different areas. Reserving pool chairs was a pain, because you're not supposed to reserve chairs till 7:00a.m., but mostly all the chairs were gone by 6:30! Didn't want to have to wake up every morning looking for chairs, so we went to the beach and got huts to sit under, which were very nice. We'd go to the beach around 9 each morning and were able to get a hut for free, even though it was farther back from the beach. We didn't care, because we could just walk a small distance to go into the water, which was heavenly! To rent a hut for the next day, just go to the reserving station at 4:00p.m. and put your name in.

My husband and I had spa treatments, which were very good. But be aware that for 2 people, they charged us $60 in taxes in addition to the massages. We were surprised that the bill was so high.

The views from some of the restaurants on the beach of Marriott properties were gorgeous. Simply Fish and La Vista are on the beach with wonderful sunsets!

I have to say that the service was unbelievably friendly. Not one frown on any of the hotel staff. I would definitely stay here again, but maybe January or February, to avoid so many kids.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed as a guest and will be returning as an owner. This was my 3rd trip to Aruba and I have stayed at 4 different hotels in 3 trips. This by far was the best I have stayed in.

Everyone was very nice (with the exception of some rude guests barking out orders at the cabana boys) The property was very clean and well laid out. The beach was nice and calm and the huts were easy to reserve and didn't seem overly crowded when we went in December.

I saw a few ankle biters, but it wasn't out of control with screaming kids.

Food prices were typical for a Marriott ($15 for a Marriott burger) but I only ate lunch here. Dinner is best bought at the many excellent restaurants on the island.

The Villas were very spacious! It had everything you need.... full kitchen, dining room, family room, washer/dryer etc.

As is typical for a timshare, housekeeping only came once mid-week. Not a big deal in my eyes.

If there is a negative, it is approximately a 1 mile walk to all the restaurants just south of the hotel. I chose not to walk it but instead drive as I rent a car everytime I come to Aruba. (parking is free)

Another nice feature were the grills on the side of the resort. Although I didn't use them, I can see how they would be useful if you had to feed a large family on a budget.

I have traveled to 10 different countries in Europe, at least 10 different islands in the caribbean and to Oahu and Maui 5x and i can honesly say that this resort on this island really set the hook for my vacation destination. If I come back 100x, I won't get enough. I am enamoured with this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the surf club for 10 days in April 2013 and had a wonderful stay. They were installing wifi at the resort while we were there so previous experiences with wired-only access in room appears to be a moot point now. The fitness center is open 24/7 but is only busy between 7-10 AM. The resort was very clean and had not diminished since our first visit in 2009. The lazy river, sun and breeze were high points as our vacation was aimed at doing "nothing" for 10 days.

Tagging chairs did prompt an early rise but when combined with a trip to the gym was a great way to start each day.

We checked a cooler full of frozen steak,burgers,chicken,frozen berries (smoothies in the room!) and it all arrived still solidly frozen which allowed for cost savings while eating in and allowed our evenings out to be very enjoyable.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We just returned form Aruba on Monday. We stayed in the Lighthouse Tower at the Marriott Surf Club and had a wonderful trip. I can only speak of our experience, but our unit was in great condition and immaculate. Checkin before 4 pm is not guaranteed, so be prepared if you have an early arrival. We had a rental car and while waiting for our unit to be ready we did our grocery shopping, but you could also go to the pool or beach.

During our stay, they said that they were installing wifi in the units, however the service was still very spotty. We had brought our own router and connected it to the wired Ethernet in the kitchen. This worked perfectly.

The kitchen was clean and well supplied. We didn't expect a mid week towel change, but came back from the pool one day and saw that the unit had been refreshed. During our stay, the maintenance staff was painting the lobby and the elevators. The staff, from the bellman & housekeeping to the front desk were very friendly, with the exception of one of the concierges.

Since it was not prime school vacation time, the resort did not seem overly crowded. I think that any place that you go, there is always competition for pool chairs. The tag system seems to work, and at least you know which chairs are yours. You might consider bringing towel clips because of the high winds. We also brought floats with us, though for $7 you can buy a basic inflatable ring in the Market Place. The water in the lazy river was crystal clear, a very comfortable temperature and even enjoyed by all, especially our older parents.

We had 3 meals at the Captain's Galley. The food is good & presented nicely. I would skip the BBQ Buffet on Friday night, unless you don't want to go out for dinner. The food is plentiful, but not very exciting. It was our opinion that you'd be better off ordering from the regular menu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!