“What a big joke” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
chatham
“What a big joke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I decided to call this resort the concrete jungle, clearly over rated. Yes pretty, but nickel and dime you for everything, and we didn't find staff to be helpful. We were stranded with the Boston blizzard and no place to stay after spending 2 weeks there and thousands later. They were no help what so ever and truly did not care. They mislead us saying not to worry we will find you a room, very upsetting. Never came through, but called the villa everyday wanting us to buy there timeshare. Jammed in like sardines on the beach. Word of advice. Pay the 40.00 per day and rent an umbrella right on the waters edge from monte. Marriott doesnt own the beach, but you can use there lounge chairs. Be careful ordering a frozen margarita 15.00 yes I said 15.00 for 1. The villa was decorated beautifully,nice to have a washer dryer but I really can't say there was anything that I would rush back to surf club for, further down the beach there were much nicer smaller resorts and allot less crowed and cheaper than 800.00 per night. I would have thought being a rewards member they would have stepped up to the plate, but they didn't. Front desk staff very rude as well, except for hank, who was always apologizing and trying to accommodate.just be aware,

Room Tip: Try and get light house tower, closer to beach, then you don't have to walk a mile
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I had the distinction of visiting Aruba during the so called "hell week" and I must say that this distinction is very inappropriate. The hotel was packed with this large group, but I found the group to be well behaved and organized. They were playing backgammon on the beach, and they all had charming Arabic accents. I went to the casino on Friday night and it was nearly empty. I did not see any underage children gambling. Our experience on the beach was very pleasant, a group on teenagers bought us a round of shots, and guests on the beach were offering food and drinks from their native country. A gentleman named Asslahn offered us a shot of this drink called "Arack" and it was delicious, tasted like black licorice with alcohol. We left Saturday afternoon and the airport was very calm. Flight home was a pleasure, and we would certainly want to come again!!

• Stayed January 2013
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We visited Aruba for the very first time last October and were lucky to have the pleasure of staying at the Marriott Surf Club. We found the rooms absolutely beautiful and oh so clean! The ambience was casual, carefree and very relaxing. The hotel's staff were always helpful and more than accommodating. the pool area is fantastic, plenty of chaise loungers and always clean. Not once did we see over flowing trash cans or trash thrown on the ground. Needless to say we will be returning to this wonderful hotel on our next trip to wonderful Aruba.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are going to the Surf Club next week for 8 days as we have each year for 5 years. The staff and property are usually getting over the nuisance guests that seem to take over the property the last three weeks of January EVERY SINGLE year since we bought. Apparently this particular crowd is VERY disrespectful not only to the staff and property, but to other guests as well. They are very large in number (1000's) and each suite they occupy is filled to capacity thus adding to the crowded feel of the place. I've seen housekeepers crying while telling of their experiences with this particular group. Sadly the behavior of the adults in the group are on par with that of their children. Moral of the story....NEVER EVER GO IN JANUARY!!

As I said, my family Always goes early February. We have 3 Kids ages 2/5/6. As usual, most east coast schools are on break, so the hotel is at max capacity again, but totally manageable since every suite is not filled to capacity. It's busy, and can be crowded, but if you are traveling with kids this is the best place to be! Traveling families enjoy a great hotel, nice rooms/suites, wonderful pools and rarely nasty looks from other vacationers who didn't anticipate so many kids around during their romantic vacation. If you are a couple without kids, would not recommend going to the Surf Club...try a different Marriott property near by.

We always stock up on perishables at a local grocery store before we check in. We eat breakfast and lunch in the suite each day and we eat dinner out half the nights and bbq the other half. Great to keep within a budget! I Also pack most dry goods in my checked luggage. We have done the Jolly Pirates cruise and rented tube rides off the beach...we've explored the in n a rental car...all during our First visit...every year afterwards...we just spent time at The pool ALL DAY. Totally relaxing and awesome...tough to get when traveling with little ones.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo which we rented on Redweek.com and it was very spacious and well appointed. This was out second trip to Aruba, having stayed at the Hyatt last time. If you have a large group this is the best place to stay! The Hyatt rooms are much smaller although that resort is much less crowded.
This Marriott property is at the end of the beach with the Ocean Club, Marriott hotel and casino and the Ritz under construction beyond that. if is a nice walk to most restaurants on the beach but walking on the street to restaurants and shops is difficult due to the way the streets and resort are configured.
I was surprised at how crowded this resort was this time if year. I have since learned that a private school from Brooklyn overtakes the resort every year during MLK week as it is their winter break. Way too many high schoolers! I would recommend avoiding this week for travel in the future, although I would definitely return to this property otherwise!

• Stayed January 2013
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spend my honeymoon ate this hotel, and it was an excellent choice! At the beginning the reception person was not very nice giving us a not very good room, so I had a conversation with the manager that solves our problem. Our room had a very nice ocean view the room was nice comfortable, with two queen size beds, not very nice for a honeymoon but's ok.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have been to Aruba 15 or so times since I was a kid and it will always be my favorite place in the Caribbean. The island is small and inviting, the people are friendly, and I have always felt comfortable and safe. My parents decided to purchase a week at the Marriott Surf Club when I was a teenager and we have been staying here once a year since the first building was finished in 2004.

Every year I have mixed feelings about my hotel experience. If I could I would rate the Surf Club at 3.5 as it is not completely average. The rooms are great. They are extremely spacious, comfortable, and have everything you could possibly need. It is especially nice for families as it offers so much more space than a normal hotel room. The grounds are landscaped beautifully and it is convenient to walk to shops and restaurants.

The downside has to be the size and capacity of the property. I go to Aruba specifically to relax and get away from my hectic normal life. However, each year I find it more and more difficult to do so. It seems every year the chairs around the pool area have gotten closer and closer together. As a New Yorker I am used to being herded into a subway car like cattle, but when I am on vacation I want a bit of space. I do not need to hear the mother next to me disciplining her children or get smacked in the face with a tube as a kid runs by. I am also fair skinned and need to have a spot with adequate shade. So every morning rather than sleeping late I am forced to wake up at 7am to go downstairs and save chairs with some shade... a process which causes me a ton of anxiety each day.

The staff varies by person. I find the majority of the staff friendly and helpful. But there are some staff members who and beyond rude and uninviting. On more than one occasion the concierge has told me a restaurant in the area has no tables available, but when I called myself I had no problem getting a reservation. It is one thing to be busy, but another to blatantly lie. I am also fairly certain there are members of the hotel staff who get paid off to save chairs for some families. I have noticed a number of what looks like shady chair deals going down.

I will note my family does usually go around the time of spring break which means the place is busier and often near capacity. But if the property was built and sold for a certain number of guests it should be able to accommodate. I have high expectations as this is an expensive supposedly luxury hotel and the Surf Club rarely meets these expectations.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Otherwise you hear screaming children out by the pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!