“Great spot, best for families and children” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great spot, best for families and children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Surf Club is in a ideal location and has a wonderful pool. I was traveling with friends and we had a room with kitchen and 2 bedrooms which was well laid out. We had only one problem with a dishwasher that had to call several times to get fixed. Mainly a communication barrier with the service people but ended up replacing washer on last day. Not a big problem, but a inconvience. This is a great place if you have kids and enjoy the pool and poolside bar. The beach set up is excellent and not a better spot in the caribbean to be. I probably would consider the non Marriott Time share next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors if not oceanfront will give you a shot view of ocean. Also, depending on poo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I will never stay in a Marriott again. I exchanged my 2 five star resorts through Interval International for two units - one at the Marriott Surf Club and one at the adjoining Marriott Beach Club this past August.

The unit at the Surf Club was on the second floor facing a very busy foot path to the pool. My two sons had the studio room at the Surf Club and my boyfriend and I had a one-bedroom unit at the Beach Club. We picked them up the second night we were there at 8:30 p.m. to go to dinner and then went to the casino, which is their third property, the Marriott Stellaris. These three resorts are all in a row, right on the beach in Aruba.

My boyfriend is a fanatic about making sure everything is locked, so I am positive that the slide glass door to the patio was locked when we left. When the guys returned to their room around 11:30 p.m. they had been cleaned out: computer, IPods, iPhones, brand new, just bought, underwater camera, $250.00 Nike sneakers we had just bought in NYC at the Flight Shop, Polo shirts, any name brand clothing, etc for a total of $3500.00.

When we came over, we saw that the police were down the hall in a room and we stopped in and found out that they had been robbed as well. We asked the police if they had been to this hotel before and they said, "not recently" - which means YES!

The long and short of it is the Marriott DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! The didn't upgrade the room, only gave my sons another room on a higher floor, when I absolutely refused to let them stay in that room, but they didn't even do that until the next day and then threatened to give it away because we were late getting back to the hotel to switch rooms. The reason we didn't get back to claim it the next day was because we filed a police report but were told we needed to go down to the actual police department and sign it.

The next morning after the robbery, we talked to the manager of the rooms, not even the general manager, and she said she could give us another week's rental (like I needed that!) or $150.00 credit at the hotel. That was it!! Do you know how far $150.00 goes in Aruba at the Marriott? We could barely buy burgers and fries at the cheapest restaurant and that didn't include drinks!

Then we ran around town all day looking for the police department because we just assumed it was in the capital but when we got there they told us it was the "wrong" police department and so we spent the whole day driving around trying to find the "right" one.

When we were nearing the end of our stay, my sons had to be out of their unit on a Friday but we weren't flying out of Aruba until Saturday so the plan had been for them to come over to our one bedroom unit and one of them was going to have to sleep on cushions on the floor. After this happened I asked them if they couldn't at least stay in the room for one more night. They gave us a "low rate" of $200.00 for the night. I said, "Are you kidding me? You want me to pay for an extra night after I just go robbed in your 5 star resort? I think you should comp me the night, don't you?" Well, no they didn't think they should! I was speechless.

When I asked them about what they were going to do about paying for all the things we had had stolen, they assured us that they had passed on all the information to their company in the States and it would be handled from there. Well I got one phone call a month later, just checking in with me and confirming my story. The crowning glory came today, 6 months later when I got a phone call from their insurance company, saying that they had investigated and couldn't find any forced entry, so they weren't liable and were denying my claim.

Seriously, I am not surprised. I told him I had not seen any investigation and I had been there the whole time. I had seen trampled down branches and leaves outside underneath the balcony.
I HAD NOT seen any police come around and dust for fingerprints or anything else. And was it just a coincidence that another room right down the hall had been robbed as well. So did two families, one from Maine and one from California, just coincidentally decide to cook up stories of robberies at the same time to file false claims and rip of the Marriott? Come on!!

All the money that those three properties are bringing in - one of the reasons they told me they couldn't upgrade us or give us a comp room was because they were at 97% capacity! - and let's not even talk about how much the casino is bringing in - and they can't do better by their guests then this?

MARRIOTT- YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!! BOYCOTT MARRIOTT HOTELS!

Room Tip: If you still go here then I wouldn't stay on a low floor because they obviously scaled the patio...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We love Aruba and our time there so much that we overlook a lot of things that might annoy us normally. I've read reviews about screaming kids and stressed families and while I did see some of that, it didn't bother me because I expect that on vacation. I also go to Aruba to swim, snorkel, and hike so hanging out at the pool or beach is not something I will really comment on. I do agree with one review that the "Jersey Shore-type" has overtaken the place. These family or couple groups were loud and obnoxious and the two times we did get a palapa on the beach, this type of couple/family was inevitably beside us with their sound dock blaring (and the women would be doing makeup on the beach! Really! I don't care but it was funny to watch). I do wish listening to music should be reserved to ear buds on the beach and I hope the Surf Club will make some kind of rule about individual sound docks on the beach.

The staff made our stay wonderful. Kay at check-in was very helpful and even helpful us with our iPhone settings since I had neglected to update my roaming capability before leaving the US (be sure to *228 your phone right before leaving . . . or you may not be able to use both phone and email while in Aruba). Meldrick helped us to our room and gave us lots of tips on things to do and see. There was a ton or early morning sun in the Lighthouse Tower and we enjoy sitting outside with coffee so we requested a move to the Spyglass. Jane helped us with that and ensured that the move was quick and efficient.

Our room was spacious and comfortable, although we spent most of our time exploring and swimming and generally being active. My big complaint is the lack of wifi in the rooms. I brought my iPad to stay connected and to do some journaling. I was shocked that we could not access the Internet (except by a hard connection modem available in the kitchen) in our guest rooms. I have not carried a laptop in several years so there was no way to connect with the iPad since my cellular data option also did not work (and would have been exorbitantly expensive). I called Verizon while in Aruba and they were unable to help with that problem.

The other issue I had was the bed. It was incredibly hard and interfered with quality sleep. If you don't mind hard beds, this won't be an issue.

We enjoyed snorkeling at Baby Beach, the Donkey Sanctuary, stand-up paddling with the place in front of the Ritz-Carlton (horrible service, separate review), and SkyDive Aruba (completely wonderful experience -- separate review). We rented our Jeep from More4Less -- great Jeep, low miles, super clean. The Marriott Aruba Surf Club provided us with a relatively central location for what we wanted to do. We'll be back!

Room Tip: If you don't want early morning sun in your room or balcony, avoid mid- to high floors in the Li...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my sisters in July 2012, we exchanged through our timeshare. Overall this is a great place, the hotel staff was super friendly, and they were nice enough to give us a room early since we had arrived several hours before check-in. The room was clean and room service was great. There are several pools, and one thing we particularly enjoyed was the 21 and over pool/Jacuzzi area, the bigger pools were great, but it was nice that you have an option to go somewhere quieter and away from all the kids if you wanted.

The hotel is practically a 10 second walk to the beach, which is GORGEOUS and has a ton of beach chairs for hotel guests. We did not find it hard to get chairs at the beach or pool area, and everyone respected the tags (You are given tags to save your beach chairs). The tubes for the lazy river are supposed to be purchased, however you can easily just grab one that isn't being used (Or bring one from home and blow it up when you get there).

There are buses that take you to the "downtown" areas where you can go shopping and buy groceries etc. Many of these buses are more like minivans, so don't be scared if a minivan pulls up with a bus sign and offers you a ride lol. There is also a small mall and shopping area walking distance that has a bunch of stores, restaurants, movie theater etc.

The only warning I have is that the hotel store and food areas are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Even with the currency difference, you should not be paying $5 for a vitamin water or $10 for a hotdog. You would benefit much more by heading to the grocery story and buying all of your food, though it is hard to resist when one of the pools has a bar right next to it. Most of my money ended up being spent on food which was pretty annoying, however the hotel itself is fantastic and and staff were all great. Just be prepared to spend a lot more on food than anything else lol.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We traded for this time share and were here the last week of the Gold season. As usual, the Marriott met or exceeded all of our expectations for our stay. We loved the lazy river and really enjoyed our time in the "over 21" Serenity Pool. For whatever reason, almost all of the people who lounged around the Serenity Pool readily engaged in friendly conversations. That did not seem to occur in the other pool areas. Rent a car and make your first stop at the Super Food to stock up with breakfast and lunch items. Use the money you'll save on those meals and taxi fares to enjoy one of the fine restaurants away from the High Rise area for dinner. If you want to spend time at a relatively quiet beach, take a trip north, visit the California Lighthouse and then relax at Arashi Beach. Otherwise, enjoy the pools at the Surf Club. They are the best! By the way, we never had a problem finding two chairs together by the pool, although we did see that it could be a challenge for groups of four or more. One last bit of advice is to be sure to arrive at the airport 3 hours before your scheduled departure. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Delmar, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We reviewed this last year and the findings haven't changed; this is a very nice property well run by Marriott in a complex that has everything----pools, beach, snack bars, shops, spa, restaurants and the like. It's primary appeal is to multigenerational families because the villas are very large and well appointed. For us, with children and grandkids, it's ideal and we're clearly not alone as most everyone there the week we were there ( Dec 8) had at least one stroller in tow and generally several grandparents and adult siblings as well. The "down" side is that this is neither chic nor designed for the adventurous. If you like sitting in a swim tube and floating down the lazy river or parking yourself on a chaise by the stunningly pretty beach, it's about perfect. Best thought about the property is that Aruba is a place with a genuine culture and middle class so there is little tension between tourists and citizens and this year we were particularly struck at how thoughtful and pleasant the staff are.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club. We had a wonderful time. We used our lockout and 1bedroom villa. Our stay was paradise. We budget our money wisely so we could enjoy great meals and drinks in the evening. Mostly hung out at the adult pool, which was so relaxing. Rent a car for our stay and travelled the island. Tried different foods at grocery stores, we really liked Super Food. Went jogging prior to sunrise, felt very safe. For those visitors to this gorgeous island who have silly complaints and vow never to return again, please keep the promise. Aruba is beautiful and remember we are visitors for only a short stay. Have fun, relax, enjoy the sunset. Most of all lets be respectful to those who work really hard to make our stay a happy one. I LOVE ARUBA.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!