“Wonderful family time!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
New Jersey
“Wonderful family time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Visited the Surf Club November 3rd thru the 10th with my whole family. Ages were 64 to 3 months and everyone had a wonderful time. My husband was thrilled that they had the financial channels. Being that there were 10 of us plus the baby I got two 2 bedroom suites. Plenty of room for everyone. The units were very clean and well stocked. The kitchen had dishwashing detergent and there was laundry detergent for the washer/dryer as well. They also supplied us with paper towels and sponges. I have stayed in other timeshares where we had to bring our own and was pleased to see those little extras. If possible stay above the 4th floor so that the palm trees won't block your view. One of our suites overlooked the ocean and the other Marriott properties (which was great because I could see the Grandkids at the Iquana interaction each day at 10AM from my balcony) and the other suite overlooked the lazy river and pools. Both had great views. We were close to all the action in the new uptown area and walked there on several occasions to see the liquid fireworks and dine. I have to agree with other reviewers that the beach was not that great but we did a couple of trips to baby beach (highly recommended) and one trip to the midrise section Eagle Beach. The pools were so great that no one felt deprived. My son and I went parasailing right from the beach. It was on my bucket list and we both loved it! Did a snokeling tour as well as snorkeling at baby beach. My daughter and I did well at the Casino. Great on-site BBQ on Friday night. Perfect for such a diverse family. There were many kids activities but most of them had an extra charge. Same thing for the game room. We were here for the sand and sun but try to tell that to a 9 year old! Lazy river was a big hit for everyone. I brought a raft from home but wish I had brought a tube instead, much easier to navigate. We were given 3 free tubes while we were there by people that were checking out. We also passed them on when we left so don't worry about packing one as you can also buy them at the gift shop. Staff couldn't have been nicer. Very helpful whenever a question was asked. Quiet at night but for a family I can't imagine a better place. I have traveled all over and consider Aruba my favorite Island (next to Maaui and Kauai)! Hope this helps someone to experience what we did.

Room Tip: Higher up so you can see over the palm trees.

1,584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Where to begin? This was my first trip to Aruba for myself, my husband and my five year old son. We arrived at the hotel about 3pm on November 4th, 2012. Check in was not a problem at all and our room was ready right away. We stayed in the lighthouse tower on floor seven in a studio. We had an awesome view of the ocean outside on the balcony. We had a studio unit which was perfectly fine for the three of us. It has everything you need if you are not going to be cooking "meals" , even then it still has a mini fridge and a microwave, toaster, and coffee pot. I made use of these items even though we ate out most of the time. I didn't want the stress of cooking and going to the grocery store for my first time, however when a beer or drinks cost $7 usd a piece I think I might stop by the grocery store next time :).

The room and hotel are very very clean, and the cleaning staff is constantly working or repairing anything that might even look weird. Security is everywhere and I mean everywhere! They stand on there feet all day long. Day after day looking after all of us. So show them some appreciation if you go even if it just to ask them how there day is. They are super nice people!

The best part of this place? The pools hands down. Lazy river, water slide, water fall, zero entry, swim up bar pool with volleyball, adult only pool. I mean this place makes you want to not go to the beach everyday especially if you have children.

The beach was meh not what I expected. It smells funny in front of the surf club do to the seaweed being buried in the sand and rotting there. The sand also had quite a few shells which I was not expecting. However if you walk down just a ways on either side of you the sand is fine and no smell. I thought this to be a little strange, but whatever I didn't stay at the beach very long on any given day and I will tell you why. This whole nonsense of renting a palpae ahead of time is a joke. I am not going to pay you any kind of money to sit way in the back to see other people's heads. If I am going to pay money to rent something I want front or second row. For people that have been there they know what I am talking about. It's also luck of the draw if you happen to get there when someone else is leaving to go home you could get up front. We arrived on Sunday, and on Monday when I went down she said there would be nothing in the first three rows open till Friday. But if I came back at 4pm to get a free one (yes they do that daily) I might get one up front. HA! that line was starting at 3pm. I was totally not going to worry about it at this point. Why you ask? THE POOLS! Sorry guys you do have to get up at 7am to tag your chairs, but no worries its yours for the whole day ;) so go back to bed if you can hehehe.

We ate breakfast and a couple of lunches at the resort which was alright nothing special, we ate breakfast a few times at hacienda right out front the resort on the beach a few times which was much better food and pricing. We also ate at Moomba beach a few nights for dinner it's super close. Of course we ventured over to Ruth Chris's in the marriott stellaris hotel. It was good but not like home for some reason. Madame Jeanette's was awesome if you want to venture out! Domino's Pizza delivers to the hotel ;) They have a small market if you need something you forgot at the grocery store or if you want to have a snack fix or ice cream!

Iguana's are everywhere they won't hurt you but occasionally they will jump in the pools but jump right back out. yes they will jump on you if you are in the way so just try not to lounge by a bush while in the adult pool just a warning :).

Game rooms, arcade, kids clubs, plenty of stuff for them to do.
This place is very nice and we are planning on returning next year around thanksgiving. If you have a family this is the place to be on the island. It is very safe and there are tons of tourists, natives etc that make this country safe and the happy island for a reason. It's nothing like the other caribbean islands. No wonder once you go you are hooked. You either you love it or you never want to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

This was one of the best family vacations we've ever had. I'm all about clean rooms and let me tell you, they don't disappoint here. The location is wonderful, staff is very friendly and grounds are well kept.

We took advantage of the palapa's but they go quick! The highlight for my boys ages 6&7 was the lazy river. We were out there for hours everyday and have the sunburns to prove it. Lol.

All in all, everyone was so friendly including guests and that's what happens when most of your guests are satisfied. I would highly recommend this place. We hated to leave. Try em, you won't be disappointed.

Tip: Bring your own floaters for the lazy river. They have a free electronic air pump onsite.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The surf club is our favorite destination in Aruba. The lazy river is really relaxing and helps you get into your vacation quickly. There is also a serenity pool for adults.

While the site gets high marks, the drinks poolside are overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012
Avon, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is our second visit, although we do not own a Timeshare. This is a wonderful family vacation spot. We rented a two-bedroom unit for ourselves and our son, daughter-in-law and two young children. It is perfect in every way including a washer and dryer, a wonderful kitchen and dining area and comfortable beds and bathroom. The beach is beautiful, although crowded with beach huts (wonderful against the sun). The pools are beautiful especially the Lazy River which meanders through the inner space between the buildings...lots of greenery and great fun to float with your family with a drink in hand. The restaurants in the hotel are okay, but could use some variety. A bit overpriced, but so is everything on the island. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is very safe and comfortable for all family members.

Room Tip: We had the garden view rather than Ocean view. It looked over the pools and was fine. No noise iss...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have stayed at the Surf Club for a week in July, for the past three years. Their two bedroom
units are ideal for families, spacious, two bedroom, two bath, with a living room in between.
They are clean and comfortable. It is a great place to go with children, however, we
would not stay there if we did not have family with us. We would definitely choose an
Adults Only hotel for ourselves. They do have an adults only pool, but it is a big resort, with
children everywhere. The beach is crowded, chairs close together and the chair tag thing a
waste of vacation time. However, if you want chairs at the beach, you have to get in line, either
first thing in the morning or at 4pm the day before. It is not a deal breaker but it is
annoying.
Food is expensive but a quick trip to the supermarket and you can load up on just about everything you can get in your local supermarket in the US
I would recommend this hotel for families, the lazy river is fun, lots to do in the area, it is
well taken care of and is safe and secure.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor, facing the pools, the view is better
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Long Valley, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our first time to the Surf club but third time to Aruba. I can't say enough great things about the resort. I was a little concerned because of all the negative reviews but not one of them caused a problem for us.The staff was extraordinarily friendly- even through a very trying first day with a room problem ( nothing to do withth surf club though). They went to great lengths to help us and all was resolved with their friendly attitudes. The place is spotless and very modern. We traveled with 11 people from a 3 month old to a 64 year old and there was plenty to do for evreyone. Tagging the chairs is not a big deal and you can usually get at least 2 together if you go down by 9. I recommend bringing a Sharpie with you to label your tag and room key with your initials so it is easier to find. I don't recommed bringing your own float as we were given 3 the day we arrived by departing guests and then 2 more later in the week... we passed them on when we left...We stayed in the Light house tower close to the elevator and thought it was great. The only disappointing thing about the resort was the beach. It had a terrible smell and the sand was downright slimy. we walked or drove to another beach just about every day. (Baby beach is so worth the drive IMO!)The prices are exactly what you would expect at a resort and were not shocking at all... the grocery stores are so Americanized you can find absolutley everything you would at home.... the airport situation is really crazy. we left on a Saturday and almost missed our flight even though we were there 3 hours early. There is no way you will get through check in, security, bag pick up ( almost 2 hours right there) bag drop off, customs and security again in less than 3 hours. plan ahead and bring your patience... you will stand in line the entire time

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!