“Hard working staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
New York
“Hard working staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Loved our vacation in Aruba. Nottingham less than every year we go to our home resort.
Upon arrival cabs are $25 and hold 5 persons maximum. Try sharing cabs with other people to be less cheaper. Paperworks are very important don't leave them home or have your confirmation numbers written on pieces of papers. Check in time is at 4 at the Marriott surf sometimes your room can be ready even before that, if not if your friendly the front desk staff can help find a room for you. Activities however needs a change , it the samething all year round. Pool is clean as well as the villas. Always keep your receipt, other people try charged to our room but the signatures did not match. Getting grocery is simple. Take a bus to downtown area and a cab back depending on the amount of grocery. Or order on lingandson website they delivered . Helped us get started on vacation early. We also call the room assign manager she was very helpful and friendly think her name was Diana. I'm bad with names. Bellman very helpful. Pool people very friendly. There is no tipping rate so tip as you feel. It helps them realize you appreciate there work. Can't wait to be back in October

Room Tip: Ask for poolside villas.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Southampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just came back from another great trip to the Surf Club. As usual, the entire resort was immaculate and the staff was great. I travelled with a group of twenty family and friends, and we had three two bedroom villas and a lock-off. Leading up to our stay, I was contacted more than once by the resort to see if there was anything they could do for our large party. I know it's not easy to accomodate large groups and my hat goes off to Freya Kraag and the others who took such great care of us. As a timeshare user, I'm very happy to have her there representing the resort and the guests best interests. She, and the rest of the staff, do a wonderful job.
Now the Doctor. I've read reviews about people needing medical care in Aruba and, with three boys, I always paid attention to what was written. This year, our seventeen year old son fell off a banana boat and was kicked in the head by one of our friends as they flew off into the water together. The area behind one of his ears became swollen, resulting in pain and a complete loss of hearing in one ear. After a day or so with no improvement, we called the front desk at about 9:00 a.m. at the Surf Club and I told them the story. Five minutes later, the house doctor (Dr Habibe) called our room and we were in his office by 2:00 p.m. Doctor Habibe was great - personal, caring, and professional. We got home to Massachuestts today and just got back from our family doctor, who advised us that he concurred with Doctor Habibe's conclusions 100%. But here's the best part: Office Visit in Aruba - $50. A prescription for Augmentin filled at the local pharmacy for a very red eardrum - $17.
One more person who did a great job for us was Assistant Food and Beverage Manager James Rogan. We had six kids in our group and he stopped and introduced himself to them at Champions Restaurant at the Ocean Club (all part of the Marriott Group). He took a personal interest in making sure our kids were taken care of and they were still talking about what a great guy he was, even on the plane ride home. Thank you all for a great trip!

Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

No wonder airfare there is so cheap to Aruba, I doubt there are many repeat visitors. I was suprised that to me Bermuda and Cancun were much better values and the locals there actually appreciate your business. The exceptions seem to be the resorts. For example the Marriot resorts (Ocean club and Surf club) staff were amazing from the cleaning staff thru to the conceriege. Everyone bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable and just as important seemed to be happy.

Bottom line if you like to hang out at the resort and are not interested in exploring the island, you will like Aruba if you go to a good resort like the Marriots. However of you like to be more adventurous, rent a jeep so you can get to places cars can't or go somewhere else in the Caribbean. I do not plan to go back to Aruba but if I did I would stay at the Marriott Surf or Ocean club.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was a great place for a family vacation. No shortage of things to do!!!!!! Here are some answers to questions I looked for previous to our trip but could not find.....so hopefully this will help future families going to Aruba.....
Take a cab to got the grocery store....only 10$ each way.....the stores all have cabs waiting there too....buy a cooler or bring a soft back pack cooler.

Snorkeling in any form is awesome!!!! Kids will love it....

Rent a jeep and drive to the backside of the island as it is unbelievable....we swam at the Natural pool and Baby Beach...bring mask/snorkels

US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

First off, this is a BIG resort. I have stayed at a number of Marriott resorts through the years and I am sad to say this one provided the worse experience I have had.

We were originally placed in a unit with no view and requested a pool view if possible. Our initial room had a broken safe, paint peeling off the wall by the A/C vent (really), and the door stuck so bad I had to "bump" it with my foot each time we entered the room. After 2 days they said they had an alternate room for us and thanked us for leaving our original room early so they could get us into our new room by the early afternoon. We left at 8:30 AM and got back at 4:30 PM and our room was not only not ready, but we did not have a room. On top of that we had no access to our luggage and got to sit by the pool with nothing waiting for a response from the front desk.

The only reason I did not rate this visit as terrible is due to an employee named Jasmine who actually seemed to know what she was doing. We finally got a room in the early evening after we spent another 2 hours waiting by the pool. This type of service is what you might expect for a "budget basement" motel, not a hotel advertising there basic rooms at $500/night.

The good side would be if you have kids. There is a lot of kids there and lots of activities for them. This sort of back-fired on us when my wife got sick and had to spend two days in the room. Some kid(s) were doing the "knock and run" several times during the day on our door. I had to knock on all the doors up and down the hallway and ask parents to curtail this activity just in case their kids were involved. This was not the most pleasant experience we have had on a vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have a time share at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando, Fla. In 2011 I exchanged for a week in Aruba and fortunately received a confirmation for February. I had read many negative comments on the web after I received the confirmation and thought about changing. I am glad I did not.

Check in was easy, the room was clean and a good size for my wife and me ( an efficiency ). We got use to the wind tunnel at the entrance to the pool and later found a place to sit that was very comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river. My kindle, a cocktail and the most relaxing week we have had in a long time. We walked the beach and walked through the Holiday Inn and found a great street with alot of great restaurants. Especially liked Gianni's.

Just received my confirmation for March, 2013 for the Surf Club again. This time we have a one bedroom unit for more space. I also have a timeshare at Oyster Bay in St. Maarten which we use on the even year. Life is too short, enjoy it!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
glen mills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My family and I just got back on Friday from a wonderful vacation. The accomodations were fantastic. It was perfect for a family of five (3 boys). The location was excellent. I was able to take a cab to the grocery store($10 each way) and stock up for the week. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the pool and beach. Due to the winds, trash blows around, however there is no one picking up the trash (including employees). The pool area had trash and the beach was filthy. I saw one family picking up trash around the beach area and we continuously did the same. Many straws, cups and cigarette butts on the beach. I saw wrappers and ketchup packets in the pool. The jersey beaches are cleaner. Other than that, it was a fantastic vacation.

Room Tip: Rent a 2 bedroom timeshare from someone and request a higher floor unit.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!