“GREAT WEEKEND” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa

Save Saved
You added Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa to your Saves list
Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd 370, Palm - Eagle Beach 12000, Aruba (Formerly the Stauffer Hotel Aruba)   |
Offers & Announcements
SUPER SAVING 25% OFF
Caracas, Venezuela
“GREAT WEEKEND”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Excellent Hotel, the rooms are comfortable, spacious, and the bed mattresses spectacular with water causing stay sleeping all week. Overlooking the beach and only 5 minutes from the tourist area of Aruba.

When you return to Aruba I'll stay in this hotel. The care is excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hello fellow vacationers: I will cover pretty much everything, but first this: Make sure their noise issues are resolved before booking.

We stayed here the first week of January. At that time the hotel was having an internecine “war” with the bar they lease out which is on their property, next to the pool. As mentioned in other reviews, the bar played incredibly loud “house” music until the wee hours – sometimes until 3AM. We were even on the side facing away from the bar, but it didn’t help. The sides of the building are open, and the booming bass permeates. When I asked Cheap Caribbean to move us to a different hotel, the manager promised it wouldn’t happen again. Well, it did. If you care about getting a decent night’s sleep you might want to look into this and at least get the promise of a refund for noisy nights.

Other than the noise issues I would say you basically get what you pay for. There is no view to speak of but you know that going in. The rooms are a good size and clean, the beds and linens are nice; the shower was very good and that is important, the TV was fine, we were given a fridge without asking and then mysteriously it was removed – we let that go. The turn down service was sporadic; sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn’t, also not that important to us.

The pool area is attractive but when we tried to sit there in the afternoon at about 5pm, the music had already started; loud, sometimes raunchy hip-hop. Again, not relaxing or even appropriate for the clientele and time of day.

The staff is cordial if not genuinely warm. Stanley, the bellman is great. The night manager seems as frustrated with the noise situation as the guests.

Here’s the situation at the beach – there is an area between the Hyatt and Occidental were you can sit on lounges for free. If you want shade, there is a woman there who is in charge of setting you up with a hut and chairs. However, she doesn’t work for the Brickell – she takes all comers – locals, people from timeshares, families from the cruise ships, etc. Most of the huts were already reserved for the duration of our trip, and we mainly sat under a big communal hut that was also a hub for water sports reservations and other tours. The bottom line is that you are paying to sit almost on top of other families and groups, crying babies, etc. All while she is wheeling and dealing on her cell phone and in person. She’s a hard-working lady doing her job. But, it is not what you would call relaxing. She also closes up shop at 5pm, a full hour and a half before the sun sets. If you want to stay on the beach you have to be a squatter at the Occidental.

About the breakfast – if you are a marathon runner perhaps you will appreciate a breakfast that consists of a basket full of carbohydrates (muffins, banana bread, a croissant and toast). A true continental breakfast should include at least cereal and hopefully mixed fruit and yogurt. When I asked for grapefruit juice I was told at first only orange juice was included until I pressed the issue a bit (with a smile). So we paid extra to get some protein.

The AC worked fine for most of the trip; although we did not see any controls for it; so we could not change the settings. After an island-wide power blackout, it didn''t work anymore and we were moved to another room.

I know Brickell is trying to position themselves as a boutique hotel alternative to the more expensive resorts. Here are a few suggestions:

Have correct instructions for how to use the safe. The instructions that were in the room were for a different model; it was somewhat complicated. We wasted about 20 minutes trying to figure it out, even when a staff person came to help.

Put some fabric softener in the towels and robes; they are very stiff and rough to the touch

Update the browsers on the computers, or get new computers. You can’t even check email, they’re so out of date. They call this a business center?

At check in, provide all the codes for wi-fi and computer access – so we don’t have to come asking for it later. It would also be nice if the wi-fi worked in Charlies, where the breakfast is served.

Put some sort of temperature controls on the AC so we don't have to call maintenance to turn it up or down.

So readers, it comes down to what you are looking for. For the very height of the season I suppose this place is a bargain, although for us the loud music is a deal breaker at any price. We had originally planned to stay elsewhere but had to change our dates, so we thought we’d give this a try. In addition to other issues, we prefer being right on the beach, so we won’t be back. It may be right for you, but it wasn’t for us.

Room Tip: Unless you party hearty, ask to be on the side facing away from the bar, on a high floor away from t...
East Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just got back from staying at this hotel 1/8 -1/12/13.
1) Staff____They were great, I must mention Stanley bellhop. He helped us with questions on navigating the island and gave tips on places we can visit. The front desk was prompt with resolving any problems we had. House keeping forgot to replace our towels but as soon as we called it was sent up.
2) Location____PERFECT!!! It is in the heart of everything literally. When you walk onto the main street, walk left or right to eat, shop, have drinks, party or gamble. You won't get views of the ocean, but you can pay $500 a night if you want that from any of the high rises.
3) Rooms____ The renovated room we stayed in was good. The King size bed we had was great at nights. The sheets did not look new but they were clean. The bathroom was clean and well kept.
4) Housekeeping____ I think they need to be a tad more polished. They forgot to replace towels one day and we had to request shower gel after they cleaned our room one day.
5)Environment____ Pool side is private and the poolside bar is great. They have lovely outdoor lounging areas all around the pool. I wish the pool was open all night. The Sand Bar is a newly opened bar linked with the hotel. They have live entertainment as well as A dj mixing it up all night. For the people complaining about the music it's probably better if they stay in the low rise hotel area. They are more quiet over there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lobby side are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
brickellbayaruba, General Manager at Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Dboytt

Thank you for your review as per your past visit to Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa Boutique hotel. Our hotel being a beautiful hotel, focus on providing guest with personalized service and providing a tranquil atmosphere throughout the hotel and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit.

We are constantly working on improving our facilities and services and we welcome your feedback as per our linen. We always like to know from guest how we can improve and we thank you for the comment and I will surely look into this to ensure all guests are provided with only the best of what our hotel has to offer.

My team and I look forward welcoming you back at Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa Boutique hotel on your next visit to Aruba. Feel free to contact our reservations department on your next visit to assist you with all your reservations needs.

I thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away from home.

Regards,

Juan Keyter
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Brickell Bay is surely our new home, it was out 5th visit to the island and have stayed at all the Branded hotels and this time we booked at Brickell Bay due to a very good rate was got on the net. We had a great time, room was clean, and its looked new, the beds are best ever.

Staff was always friendly and always asked us how we were doing, Sandra and Marc as front desk was wonderful. We just love the pool area and the surrounding as it was always quit and with not a lot of people, most days we had the pool for our self. The location is great and we could walk to all the restaurants and the casinos were right across the road. We went to the beach only one day due to the fact that it was almost raining every day but it was better than 35 degrees back home.

Thank you for all the staff and management of the hotel for a wonderful time at your hotel. We will recommend Brickell Bay to all our friends. Why pay the branded hotel rates if you only sleep in the room. We got free breakfast basket every morning and had a fridge in our rom that was great because we could stock up on snacks.

We enjoyed our trip and staying at Brickell Bay and we will book again at this hotel next year.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've gone to Aruba every Christmas break for 10 years. I've stayed at the Radisson and the Mariott, but I wanted a change and decided to stay at the Brickell Bay. It was a great decision. The rooms were very inexpensive, yet clean and very nice. The service is outstanding, and the food is delightful (not to mention that there is a great pizza place attached called Tomato Charlie's). The pool bar also stays open throughout the entire night for dancing, food, and so much fun. When I returned to my room at night, the music was barely heard, and I was able to sleep perfectly. The staff was genuinely nice and helpful, constantly asking us if we wanted something to eat, drink, or anything else. The pool bar at night played a ton of great music at a reasonable volume, served great drinks, and even serves late night food! The hotel has a great pool area, and is only a five minute walk to the beach! Overall, my stay at the Brickell Bay was outstanding, and I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Rachel

I want to thank you for your review left as per your past visit at Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa Boutique hotel, it is truly our pleasure to host you during your visit to Aruba and look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel on your next visit.

For feature reservation, please feel free to contact our reservations department to assist you with all your reservation needs.

Kind Regards,

Juan Keyter
Aruba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay if you want to be in the middle of it all without paying the high rise prices. The staff are very friendly and the hotel has a lot of great attachments such as the tomato Charlie's restaurant and the sand bar. The renovated rooms were not professionally done, the sheets were not new and we had to constantly keep asking for things that were either removed from the room and not replaced, for example they took the towels and never replaced them, or things that were supposed to be replenished, like bath gel. I think they have a management staff coordination problem. The price of the hotel in my opinion is worth it only because of the location, but I can stay in a much cheaper place and rent a car. I probably will not stay here again.
My advise if you tend to take attention to details seriously DO NOT stay here. If you want to be where all the action is on a budget, then you can stay here. Overall I give the place a C+.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I returned from the Brickell Bay last week and had a great experience. The staff was very helpful, the rooms were clean, and the restaurant connected to the hotel (Tomato Charlie’s) had outstanding pizza. During the day I spent my time at the pool, which was quite nice. The staff members placed towels on the chairs daily and were quick to asking us if we needed anything. To go along with this, the pool bar was great. It provided us with music, which was played at a comfortable volume, beach tennis, and terrific tasting drinks. The pool bar stays open through the night and provided a place to dance and have fun. When I got into my room at night, the music was barely heard and I was able to sleep great. Overall, my time at the Brickell Bay was enjoyable and I would definitely recommend the experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa? Share your experiences!