“overall nice stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   75 Je Irausquin Blvd | Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Arlington, Virginia
“overall nice stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

i had originally booked this place with the old tower and did an upgrade a week before. they did not have it in the system so we went to the old tower at first. I realized that they didnt do the upgrade and switched towers. It was like night and day. Older tower room look run down. Also, there are only 2 elevators for 14 floors. i heard ppl complaining that it took forever to get to their room. glad i did the upgrade.

our room in the new tower was nice, two full bathrooms, comfortable enough bed and an excellent view. however i would not stay in that room again for 2 reasons.- Room 763, the drawers had an overpowering smell of BO. i ended up using the drawers as my hamper and put my clothes on top of the dresser. Not sure if its like this in other rooms but i would smell your drawers before you start unpacking. 2nd reason, the biggest burner on the stove top was broken. if you plan to cook, make sure your stove is working.

the beach is spacious compared to the other high rise hotels. we took a walk to the westin and riu next door and the beach was packed. it was like looking at a sea of people and the cabanas were so much closer together. Totally different atmosphere. Divi's beach has rock piers on each end. Divi is the first of the high rises so if you're looking at the ocean, there is nothing after the left rock pier. There is a public beach (about 75 yards long) after the right of the rock pier. But barley anyone uses it. After the public beach comes the westin, riu, renaissance and so on and they all "share" the stretch of beach. So with nothing to the left of divis beach and the barley used public beach to the right, the divi has a more relaxed secluded and spacious beach.

no one really hangs out at the divi at night so if you want a social atmosphere you'll have to go elsewhere. It is a 10 min walk to the beginning of Palm beach's stretch of bars, restaurants, and shopping and 20 min to walk to the end. If you want to walk out of your hotel room and walk across the street to all this, you'll have to pick another hotel. the hyatt and occidental have a perfect location for this however your beaches will be packed.

Taxi cost is expensive. They charged us $8 to go to town. It is less than a 5 min drive. (I'd say 2-3 min drive to be dropped off in the middle of the stretch). $16 (w/o tip) roundtrip for a 6 min cab ride total is crazy.

I wish the divi was across the street from the strip because after a night out, the last thing i wanted to do was walk 10 min to my hotel. But i refused to pay $8 plus tip to go a few min down the road every time. However i will not sacrifice my beach atmosphere so for this reason alone i would come back to this hotel. So if you're like me (beach is more important) then I say stay here. But remember to smell your drawers before you unpack!

741 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Massachusetts USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Aruba Phoenix has many great things to it's credit, but there are some things that can and should be addressed. As owners who pay top dollar for these units, special attention should be given to them over someone who is just exchanging. Had to wait until after 4pm to check in. They are strict about you leaving at 11am which leaves plenty of time to clean owner's units. Having to wait, we decided to have a drink and a bite at the bar. We were informed by the Bar Maid that if we wanted food, it would be a long, long wait. Her attitude set the tune for the rest of the week as NOT to visit when she was bartending. Very Rude and I heard she was reported to the Bar / Restaurant Manager. Also, many other time shares have free wireless for owners, not here ! Also an indoor restaurant may be nice. Now for the positive. The beach was great - very clear water free of rocks and dips to get into the water. A great surprise was finding lounge chairs and huts later in the morning. I did go out one morning to get a hut so my husband wouldn't burn and found that after the beach attendants unlocked the lounges and set them out for those of us who were on the beach at 7am - disappeared.......very odd and did not expect a tip.....very refreshing.......
Just a suggestion - maybe they could relocate the Sales Office to one of the outdoor restaurants and turn the sales office into an upscale dining experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed at Divi Phoenix 4/27 - 5/4. This resort did NOT disappoint! I was a little leary reading some of the reviews but we were extremely happy. We stayed in the new towers, 3rd floor, corner room and could not be happier. 2 balconies - one off the living area and one off the dining area, 2 bathrooms,king size bed. The staff was extremely helpful, especially the front desk and Harley who brought me a delicious bloody mary several mornings. The beach is much smaller then the beach at the lowrise hotels but still beautiful. If I had to say anyting negative that would be the rush to be up as early as 5am to get a hut but after speaking to other guests at the other hotels, its the same at each resort. As far as the restaurants on the island go.... all I can say is OMG! I will list all the restaurants we dined at(in no particular order) and when I visit aruba again I would revisit each one. Madame Janetts outstanding (and a shout out to Boris the chef and Sammy (his brother from another mother - LOL) who shared a drink with us at the end of the night; Passions on the Beach; Azzuro, Old Man and the Sea, Marandi, Casa Tua (is a must for Pizza) and last but not least Barefoot. All I can say is I love Aruba and I would go back to Divi Phoenix in a heartbeat. It is in such a great location - we walked almost every night after dinner to the other high rise hotels.

Room Tip: Newer Bldg - 3rd floor and above.
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

First of all, I recommend not to stay in the old tower. Unless your a couple of guys on a tight budget and don't mind staying in a dated room. Also, being in a slow and hot elevator is not too fun for the wife and kids. Stay in the new timeshare rooms. The staff is friendly and almost always has a smile. I see a lot of posts regarding the high costs of food and alcohol. We make it a point to stop at the local grocery store when we arrive and do some shopping for the week. This will save alot of $$$ when you have hungry kids. The prices are reasonable and the makets are similar to ones in the states. Beer and alcohol is also reasonably priced too so stock up at the store. It will save you alot of $$$. I personally carry a water bottle full of Bacardi when I'm out by the pool or beach. This way I order a Diet Coke and add my own poison, and it's never a weak pour. Beer drinkers should purchase a cooler at the market. The gym has some nice equiptment with never cardio machines. The beach is on the southern most point of Eagle Beach so you don't have alot of foot traffic walking by. This also means you have to walk about 10 minutes for the water sports.

The main restaurants are a long walk so you should get a taxi or a rent a car. I can't tell you the price of the taxi from the hotel since we had a rent a car. Diving is O.K. at best, so don't expect too much. It doesn't compare to the Cayman or Bahama Islands. Everyone on the island speaks English or Spanish so don't worry about communicating with the locals. Every restaurant we ate at was good so I can't recommend to stay away from any specific place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fourth time staying here in a tower one bedroom. Like having two bathrooms and a full kitchen. Comfortable king size bed. Two flat screen televisions and dvd player. Also a washer and dryer. Nice beach and always able to find a hut for shade. Two nice restaurants. Friendly staff

Room Tip: Second floor tower rooms have a larger balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sicklerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I traveled to Divi Phoenix Resort the week of April 22-29 2013. I was extremely impressed with this resort. I am a Wyndham timeshare owner and traded through RCI for this resort. Being a Wyndham owner, I expect the best and that's what I got. The resort employees were very friendly and always willing to help with any questions I had. We had a three bedroom suite in the new section and it was awesome! We had a party of six adults and the room accommodated us perfectly, not to mention the beautiful view from the seventh floor balcony. The room was clean and everything worked like expected. The pool and grounds were cleaned daily making it beautiful. The beach was also clean and never crowded. You do have to get up early to reserve a hut on the beach but it is well worth it in the Caribbean sun. The restaurants were also very good. Divi Phoenix is the first resort of the High Rise area of Aruba. It is situated far enough from the High Rise area making the resort not as crowded like the resorts situated in the High Rise area. All the restaurants are just a short walk to the High Rise area. There is a walking path from Divi Phoenix that leads to the last resort in the High Rise area so you are not stuck if you don't rent a car. We rented a eight passenger van and it was no problem navigating through the island. You just have to familiarize yourself with their circles. The food store is more pricey then the states but that is expected of an island. Every store we went into excepted American money and credit cards. The locals don't pressure you to buy stuff like other islands I have visited in the past. I will definitely visit Aruba again next year and stay at Divi Phoenix again. I highly recommend this resort. They didn't even bother me or my guests for a timeshare presentation. All you timeshare owners understand what I am talking about. If I didn't have four timeshares with Wyndham, I would of considered buying one, that's how impressed I was with their resort. Thank-You Divi Phoenix for making my family vacation a great experience. You have made me a future guest to your resort along with the great island of Aruba!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location if you are looking for a quiet area. Not far (10 minutes walk) from restaurants and bars in Palm Beach. The staff is very polite. I stayed at the old tower/studio suite. The size is perfect for 2 people. The view was amazing. The new building is nice, however it does not have the same view as the old tower. My only complain is I requested a little treat during my stay, since I was celebrating my anniversary. No good surprise, such as, a box of chocolate, a bottle of wine ...whatever ... was sent to the room. Other than that ... a great place to stay in Aruba. If you do not want to visit all the island you do not need a car. Just use the bus system and/or a cab.

Room Tip: Any room is great above the 5th floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!