“LOVED IT! COMPLETE RELAXATION” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   75 Je Irausquin Blvd | Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Naples , Florida
“LOVED IT! COMPLETE RELAXATION”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

*The Aruba Divi Phoenix has gone through some recent remodeling and construction of new units and they have really outdone themselves since my last visit. Upon checking in the unit they had me slotted for was a ground unit by the pool facing the ocean, but since we do not have kids I asked for a unit in the tower. The staff/management was very accommodating and put my wife and I on the 10th floor. We had a spectacular view and the bed/bedding was very comfortable. *The only issue I had occur was the drains in the bathroom did not drain well at all and I think a tub was a poor choice to install in such a small bathroom. The tub is a jet tub and is quite deep which makes it difficult even for me (6') to get in and out of for the shower.
*The PureOcean restaurant was phenomenal with great food and view. On Fridays they have a saxophone player come and at that moment watching the sun set on the beach eating a terrific meal with live music all my stresses melted away and I was able to unwind to complete relaxation. No cell phone coverage (unless you want to pay for the Wi-Fi...forget it) no emails, texts or messages. I cant say enough positive about my dinner and my stay at the Phoenix.
*Sure, it needs a little maintenance work in the tower, but it's nothing major. It's just an area the Phoenix can improve on and take it to the next level. I will definitely be back and would recommend it to anyone contemplating about staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

DH and I traveled during April vacation week and the resort was not overly populated. Check in and check out was a quick.

ROOM: Stayed in the new beach tower one bedroom 2 bath. It was beautiful and very comfortable we felt very at home in this suite. This is the main reason we chose this resort. We made breakfast every morning. There is a coffee maker with no coffee. I have never been to a resort that did not supply coffee.

BEACH: The beach is nothing spectacular. It was a bit of a disappointment. The beach directly in front of the Phoenix property is VERY small and not expansive. The sand was riddled with rocks and sea glass. Palapas are "reserved" by people's towels by 7:00am and they don't come to the beach until 11am. There was one palapa that was swaying to the side and had yellow caution tape wrapped around it (eyesore). Why not fix this or remove it? People were so desperate they actually used this one. Nevertheless we were able to find the last free palapa if we were out there before 8:00am. You will not be waited on if you want a tropical drink or lunch while relaxing on the beach.

GROUNDS: The grounds were clean and adequate, nothing luxurious no wow factor. The grounds at the Radisson will wow you.

SERVICE: Service at Pure Beach and Pure Ocean (on property) is almost non existent. We had to wait over an hour for two burgers and fries to go at Pure Beach. Our waiter disappeared and we asked another one to check on our food and he said "your waiter is around here somewhere" we asked another waiter who did check and bring out our food. At Pure Ocean I Paid 18 bucks for a breakfast buffet and I was not offered any coffee at all! Service on the beach is worse so just brink your own food and drinks to the beach.

ARUBA: Plenty of restaurants from fast food to inexpensive to fancy directly across from the Playa Linda. Do try El Gaucho if you are a steak lover. Plenty of casinos we spent time at the Westin and Radisson casino which have looser slots than Bahamas or Punta Cana. The island was unbearably windy our first 2 days but calmed down a bit after that. It's easy to rent a car and drive around confidently because the island is small and safe. Aruba does not have lush greenery.

OVERALL: The Phoenix IS NOT a bad place it just does not suit our taste. We had a great time because we were on vacation in Aruba and there was no reason not to have a good time. If my husband had written this review he would have rated it a bit higher because he's easier to please. This resort is adequate if you aren't looking for anything fancy. The room is very fancy and that's where the luxury stops. I'd prefer more lush grounds, stunning beach and to lay on the beach and have a pina colada served to me. I may return to Aruba one day, but there are closer islands with more lush landscapes. If I do return I'd probably try another resort.

Room Tip: New Beach Tower is the only way to go.
New Castle, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Well...first the positives...Nice location within an easy walk to all of the High Rise areas, restaurants, etc.
We had a beautiful view from the fifth floor overlooking the pool areas, with the ocean in the distance.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We were given the option to stay in another room if the pool noise continued to be bothersome as it was our first evening.
Of course, they do try to sell you a timeshare, but our representative David, was very respectful of our time and "no pressure". No "freebies" were given to listen to the presentation. (maybe because we did not fill out their form)
We stayed at this resort about 8 yrs. ago when it was just the original tower building and liked it very much. Since then, they have added more buildings; "suites" as they call them. Though they have all the trappings they think we travelers want (granite, stainless steel, jacuzzi and big screen tv's) the rooms appear thrown together; not well maintained. Construction seems less than stellar. Cabinets, closets, and doors do no close properly. We had to call for repair to a TV, a problem with the jacuzzi tub, and when we ran the washer/dryer, it leaked all over the floor. The king sized bed was pretty to look at, but the pillows and mattress were of low quality and uncomfortable.
Now, for the resort itself...Even though it was April, we had to be out on the beach by 6 AM to hope to get a space under a palapa. I can't even imagine being here in February...the resort has gotten way too big for the beach.
The bar staff was less than friendly at times and bickered among themselves as you waited for service. Even so, I am a good tipper! One day, I did not have enough cash for what I considered a proper tip, so I went out of my way to walk back to the lobby, took the elevator up to my room...unlocked the safe to get more cash. I returned to the bar so that I could give the remainder of the tip to my server; though there were only 2 other customers at the entire bar, I finally gave up after waiting 10 full minutes to leave the tip, as there was no eye contact or attempt to offer service.
Also troubling... none of the rules (regarding children for instance) were inforced. A sign clearly stating that children under 16 were not allowed in the whirlpool did not keep 4 and 5 years olds from jumping over my head, screaming and trying to DIVE into the shallow space. We were on the 5th floor for 8 days... a sign by our ice machine that stated it was ""out of order" the entire time. As a guest, I have never picked up so much loose trash around a 'resort' facility. Cans, bottles, plastic cups and cigarette butts littered the grounds; not to extremes, but certainly enough for me to notice, so I wondered why the many staff walking around did not.
It is probably a really fun place for a younger person, but if you are looking for true relaxation, comfort, quiet, cleanliness and "happy" service, you may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: You want to be above the 5th floor, and if you want quiet, away from the pool areas. I would prefer...
Perry Hall MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba. We have been other islands in the Caribbean - Grand Cayman and all of the USVI several times, and to Hawaii a couple of times, so we have a pretty good frame of reference.

The Divi Phoenix is just ok. It could be a lot better. It is at the south end of Palm Beach, just beyone the Westin. The beach is nice, but crowded, and the pools are very nice, although we are not pool people. The water directly in front of the building is a little murky, so to swim, we walked down to the beach in front of the Westin, which was no big deal...we can use the exercise :-)

The situation with the palapas is a real pain. Divi Phoenix has a policy that states that you can't reserve chairs/palapas, and that unattended property, towels, etc will be removed after 2 hours. They NEVER enforce this policy. That means if you want shade (which you will need, since the sun at this latitude is very hot and can cause sunburn quickly), you need to be at the beach before 7 a.m.to reserve your palapa and chairs, which you aren't supposed to be able to do.

The newer building at first appears to be very upscale until you start to notice that it is getting a bit shabby. We believe that this is due to poor construction (take a close look at the workmanship in the rooms, for example the crown moulding...it is pretty sloppy) and due to barely adequate maintenance. Our room was musty. It smelled like mildew and wet concrete. Those who purchase timeshares here will be footing the cost of the apparent shoddy construction in 10 years or so in the form of increased maintenance fees when it is time to renovate.

The staff is generally helpful, but not very enthusiastic. Housekeeping is hit and miss - It seems that they don't employ enough people to do the job right. The same with maintenance of the property. It could be a lot better.

At Pure Beach, the service is absolutely non-existent. They take your order, bring your food, and bring your check. If there's a problem with the food, forget about it. You won't find your waiter or waitress until long after you've given up. We thought that the first time might have been a fluke, so we gave it a second chance and it was even worse.

It is a shame, because this place has potential, but it is just my impression that the main focus is in unloading timeshares, not in customer satisfaction. We had a nice time, and no major complaints. Just a bunch of minor ones. We would not go back. We probably will not return to Aruba either. We had a good time, but there are other islands in the Caribbean that are prettier, have more natural beauty, and where the residents are friendlier.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice resort to stay in compared to other resorts i have been to. It is located right on the bach and you can swim there all day or just relax. The rooms were decent but not quite the nicest they couldve been. The service is spectacular.

• Stayed May 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I've always heard of people coming back from their 1st trip to Aruba & instantly planning their 2nd, I see why. As far of the Divi, pictures don't do it justice, as they don't for most of Aruba. As we checked in Easter Sunday, after many hours of travel, I casually asked the young man, if there was any way to not be in the older towers. He informed us, that it would be a $500+ payment. We just couldn't add that onto an expensive week. Seeing our disappointment, he asked, "is it your 1st time here". And hearing that it was, he called the someone important with fingers crossed. After a moment or 2 in Papiamento, we were given the fabulous news that if we could wait 2 hours we could be in a new room, 1st floor, right off the pool (no elevator needed). And with that, we ran to the throw on our bathing suits & the bellman kindly locked up our suitcases in a holding room off the lobby. After discovering our room (which a a wonderful jet tub, nice steam shower, granite, 4/5 stars on cleanliness) we headed into restaurant area for some booze and supplies. All within about a 1-1 & 1/2 mi. walk which I did a few times a day, happily. Loved not having a car, as there are not many street signs, & taxis are locked in for prices depending on how many people & where you are going. Being that it is a small Island it wasn't bad, $25 from airport (add $3 for Sundays).
As for the service at Restaurants: I found everything we order from the bar/eatery off the pool was fresh & decently priced for being "hotel prices". Cobb salad was fresh (can not stand brown lettuce), chicken Caesar wrap was very nice, chicken quesadilla yum, jerk chicken pizza was fresh, but dry & doughy (I warned my husband it would be). We always sat at bar, the guys were always pleasant and attentive, some more heavy handed then others with booze of course. Jude never let a drop more than the measured shot amount of rum slip into our piña coladas. 4 were $37 w/ 15% service charge & 1.5% hotel tax, which you'll find at every hotel. So we were happy to go back to our room to grab a Balashi or make a vodka/Cran. I brought my own "sippy cups", you could buy them in hotel store. We even used the ice bucket in room for beer on the beach. I grabbed breakfast sandwiches from the hotel deli a few times. $5 each for barely an egg @ strip of bacon on English muffin pressed on Panini press. $3 for a coffee, so I was glad to big up a bag of grinds @ the Dunkin' Donuts in the Beach Bungaloe 1st morning. Be prepared to wait, even at 6:30 am there is a line & the only woman there is slower than honey dripping. I was behind a man who casually asked how she was doing, and over pouring 3 coffees she had significantly slowed her pace & had gone into waiting nervously for results for her mammogram, how sick her sister is, how horrible her husband is... I guess that's what it means to be island time = (?) . We enjoyed the breakfast buffet there, almost $40 for 2 with taxes. I enjoyed the promptly made egg white omelettes, view of the water, people jogging thru. On our last day & second time there, half the Warmers & toaster were not working at the buffet, A blown fuse perhaps. But a Few dollars taken off? Of course not...
Activities: booking excursions w/ Sergei was a dream. He's knowledgeable, cool, great opinions. Made booking a 3 Hr. private horse back ride so easy. We were paid, confirmed, and picked up & dropped off by Ponderosa Ranch. Usually a line and some confusion at those booking desks otherwise, but it could be that we were there during a busy week.
Checking out: We paid our taxes & room charges the night before to save time. Under $200 as I like to pay as I go, to be away of prices & how much I'm spending. There was about $100 in taxes on the room for a 7 day stay. So all we had to do was grab a cab & drop our room keys off the day of departure. But the line stunk! 35 mins just to drop off room keys. the guy in front of me was waiting just to drop his towel cards, so he is not charged $25 per towel, if card is not returned. So, I think there could be some improvement there, maybe a check out & check in line instead of everyone on the same line. But again, it was a busy week and usually there was only 1-2 people on line.
The Negatives: There's only 1 thing that really left us with a salty taste, pardon the pun. One day mid week, I popped into the room during a "full" room service clean(which u get once during a week stay) to make a drink. The maid was in the shower, doing the shower doors, I gave her a quick hello & said I'll be right out of your way. I needed something out of the safe, she stopped scrubbing and was quiet & as I locked the safe I noticed she was quiet again, almost as if she's listening to the beeps. Ok, I could be paranoid... Pointed it out to my husband & enjoyed the sun/sand. Well, we went back to the room after an hour or 2 on the beach, and guess what. That's right, the safe would not open. It locks up if there are multiple attempts with the wrong code. So I had to trot down to the front desk, they get a maintenance man and open it & re-lock it with a (of course) new code. After telling the girls at the front desk, not only were they not surprised, but really complacent. Saying I could fill out a report. Who wants to do that on vacation? And I did notice a few other complaints of missing things as I walked thru the lobby. So after that incident, I leaned the DO NOT DISTURB sign against the keypad for the safe. Maybe I should have done that in the 1st place.
In Closing: You'll love it here. I could have been staying at a hut on the beach, it's Aruba!
Tips: Bring clothes line clips or something else to clip your towel to reserved chairs, I even brought a towel from home that was a diff color, it's too easy just to nab some one else's saved stuff. I even tied our water shoes to the chairs, I did see people grabbing others chairs when they weren't around. Secure Hat, sunglasses, and strong sunscreen. I'm no Sun-Ray Rookie and applied 70spf constantly and still came home golden. Don't over pack, bring detergent pods & use the washer/dryer. A deflatable air filled lounge chair is a must, you could rent them, some brought noodles to float. We mistakenly brought snorkel/mask but couldn't see anything. Water shoes, well spent $10, not the most desirable look but saw many people get cuts from the coral under their feet.
Lastly: Enjoy!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Baldwin, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent 5 days over Easter week. Rooms in new tower were great. We had 1 br suite with 2 baths and kitchette. Large comfortable space with balcony overlooking ocean and pool. Service was good. Restaurant and bar good but not inexpensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!