We booked our Studio Suite, Room 105, as an Extra Vacation through RCI, since we couldn’t find an exchange that met all our criteria. What luck!!
We were looking for pure R&R and we found it. Our suite, located on the ground floor of the older Beach Villas is perfect for us. Sadly, we leave tomorrow (moving to another resort), and we definitely plan to return.
• Suite was spacious and well equipped with everything we needed to prepare our meals.
• Extremely comfortable queen bed.
• Loved the plugs in the lamp bases for charging ipod, computer, etc.
• Lovely patio facing the villas’ pool and beyond the beach.
• Lots of closet and drawer space.
• Jacuzzi tub in bathroom, with a great shower. Loads of towels and soap.
• Spectacular turquoise beach to wade in and cool off; perfect for kids. Loads of available beach chairs and palapas; we especially liked the quiet beach to the south of the resort.
• No beach vendors. A couple of days vendors did set up near our unit, but they were quiet and did not bother us in anyway. I did buy a lovely bracelet with numerous coloured stones for only $12.
• Ice cream in the Pure Deli.
• Coin laundry a great plus, since we’re in Aruba for two weeks and prefer to pack light.
• Welcome party on the second night for timeshare members – open bar, dancing, prizes.
• No timeshare sales pressure. We only had to say once that we weren’t interested in attending the “update meeting”, and that was that.
• Enjoyed evening strolls along the boardwalk past the high rise hotels, giving us a sneak peak at some other hotel options, and convincing us further that the Divi Phoenix is the perfect resort for us.
CONS – note these are all very minor, and in no way took away from a wonderful relaxing experience.
• Construction noise at the Sun Splash bar and Sunset Grill, both of which are currently undergoing major renovations. It was easy to escape the noise, so not a problem, but I wonder why this work wasn’t completed prior to high season.
• The fridge door swings the wrong way making it awkward to use. Since the door is reversible, this could easily be fixed.
• The over-counter light takes about 15 minutes to light – weird.
• The room thermostat is hidden behind the large and heavy TV/dresser cupboard. We would have preferred to be able to turn off the AC and open the patio doors during the day and evening. However, I understand this is done deliberately to prevent humidity build-up in the room, leading to that nasty mustiness found in many Caribbean ground floor rooms.
• $50 for a week of WiFi – I think times have changed enough that WiFi should be included everywhere – but that’s me. On the plus side, it worked easily and consistently, unlike many other resorts we have been to in the last few years.
• The hot tub in the villas area was too hot!
• The recommended grocery stores were dreadful! Luckily we found Kong Hing supermarket, next to the old Super Foods, which has great selection and reasonable prices.
We rented a car, but it’s not really needed. For the same price or less you could take a coach tour of the island, taxi to/from airport and to the grocery store. For those who prefer to eat out, there is a good selection of restaurants and bars within walking distance, although I would taxi back after dark.
We would definitely prefer a ground floor studio in the Beach Villas again, but I suspect that all r...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.